• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Instead of having the player hold the "fire" trigger halfway to run-and-gun, this would be better:

Tap "aim" button to enter run-and-gun hip-fire mode
Tap it again to exit
Hold "aim" to enter ADS/zoom aim, either while in normal mode or hip-fire mode
Letting go of "aim" after holding it will revert player back to the mode they were previously in
Sprinting causes player to exit hip-fire mode.

Offering advice for technique in this game is laughable. Combat is still slow and clunky, enemies are still wack-a-mole popping up through doors, around corners, and on stairwells; and cover is still janky with transitions not working half the time and vaulting being super picky about when it wants to work properly. People are being incredibly forgiving with this game IMO. It's not that far removed from GTAIV in combat, and it becomes more apparent the longer I play.

I disagree, combat feels a lot more fluent so far.

I've died A LOT in missions, but that's because I've put myself in silly positions.

I'm enjoying it.

MormaPope

Banned
Every Rockstar game seems to have some point in it where you're doing a bunch of missions for no reason, or just being forced to deal with the whims of asshole NPCs that have you running around with no reward or illusory rewards.

That was Mexico in Read Dead, which for as many missions as it had it barely moved the story forward an inch by the end of it all. GTA5 has it too, as its where I currently find myself.

GTA V's narrative is dependent on the characters and the chemistry of those characters though. Red Dead Redemption's narrative was dependent on John Marston's tale of attempted redemption. Mexico in RDR was meant to feel foreign and far away from what John wanted and needed.

GTA V doesn't have that aspect of being far away or being dragged away from something. I've never felt there was sort of grand endgame throughout GTA V until "The Big One". The characters interactions alone in GTA V amounts to the story.

oneils

No idea. I've failed every stunt jump I've come across so far.

I think stunt jumps require that you land somewhere pretty specific. I found one jump that threw you off one freeway and it looks like the objective was to hit the free way next to it. But I fucked it up and missed.

You have to look around and try to figure out what the "stunt" is.

No idea. I've failed every stunt jump I've come across so far.

I've done about 10 of them so far, but they're a real pain in the ass you have to make sure the car touches down wheel first on at least two wheels. The cinematic camera also makes it difficult to straighten the car out in mid-air if you don't get an even jump.

*edit, and yeah, as oneils said, some of them require you to land in a specific area.

GTA V's narrative is dependent on the characters and the chemistry of those characters though. Red Dead Redemption's narrative was dependent on John Marston's tale of attempted redemption. Mexico in RDR was meant to feel foreign and far away from what John wanted and needed.

GTA V doesn't have that aspect of being far away or being dragged away from something. I've never felt there was sort of grand endgame throughout GTA V until "The Big One". The characters interactions alone in GTA V amounts to the story.
They both amount to me doing job after job with payment or reward coming later. Always later. And then later doesn't happen.

Just seems to be a Rockstar thing to have that particular hump.

Loving the game still though. Just wish there were twice as many hours in the day, especially on these weekdays ;P

cdkee

Banned
I did learn from my deaths, i learned the game is basically built for auto aim and using free aim was a poor decision from me.

The cover system is TERRIBLE, like i don't understand how anyone can even defend it on any level. You can't vault over or switch between cover. The cover system goes against everything people expect in a cover shooter. How exactly do you switch cover? Because when i switch cover i have to snap out of cover (which is clunky itself) and run around the corner to get back in cover. This leaves me open to gun fire, and as i said before it is extremely easy to die in the game

You can switch between cover.

Instead of having the player hold the "fire" trigger halfway to run-and-gun, this would be better:

Tap it again to exit
Letting go of "aim" after holding it will revert player back to the mode they were previously in

So simple, and yet Rockstar insists on making stupid control decisions, like having to hold down X to run and gun when in certain interiors.

Tap it again to exit

How about

--> Weapon out = combat jog, crosshair always on screen, always able to gun + gun.
--> Weapon put away = Walking speed, hold to sprint

Simple, intuitive, and gets rid of button tapping and "hold to jog" that no one ever uses.....y'know, like the exact improvements they already put into MP3

MormaPope

Banned
Offering advice for technique in this game is laughable. Combat is still slow and clunky, enemies are still wack-a-mole popping up through doors, around corners, and on stairwells; and cover is still janky with transitions not working half the time and vaulting being super picky about when it wants to work properly. People are being incredibly forgiving with this game IMO. It's not that far removed from GTAIV in combat, and it becomes more apparent the longer I play.

Well, there are two sides on this. One side has very few problems with combat and has enjoyed combat throughout the game, the other side loathes the combat completely and seems to never have fun shooting dudes. It seems odd to say people are being "forgiving" when they don't have any outstanding issues with combat. Should people automatically say the combat is bad because other people don't like it?

Seems like the combat is divisive, not inherently bad.

nib95

Banned
ihoTzpMzaXK0D.gif

Dammit. Hate this FFXII esque shit.

Smoke on the Water gives you 9k a week and only costs $204k. It's got one of the better ratios.

Awesome. Cheers dude.

How about

--> Weapon out = combat jog, crosshair always on screen, always able to gun + gun.

Simple, intuitive, and gets rid of button tapping and "hold to jog" that no one ever uses.....y'know, like the exact improvements they already put into MP3

The movement state when holding A/X feels like it improves character handling substantially, but its annoying how I can't move the camera while doing it. Should definitely be automatic.

Moze

Banned
I've been using free aim the entire game, I've probably died a few times in main mission from getting shot. I've done around 51 missions. Trying to get out of cover without hip firing to a new piece of cover will mean you get turned into Swiss cheese, GTA V rewards players for handling themselves in firefights.

If anything the game is much less forgivable for not being more meticulous during firefights. Guns and certain weapon types actually have relevance in GTA V, vs past GTA's where gun variety didn't have much relevance due to dumb enemy AI along with whole weapon types becoming useless later in the game.

It wouldn't be too bad if the cover system was at least somewhat usable, but the fact is it isn't. It goes against everything i expect from a cover shooter and i find it hard to look past.

They should get rid of the cover system completely and do what Saints Row and Just Cause 2 do. I prefer run and gun shooters rather than some shitty cover shooter that can't do cover right.

I fully agree. Maybe it is because i haven't played GTA 4 in a long time, but to me the cover and shooting mechanics are pretty much exactly the same.

The on foot gameplay feels extremely clunky as well

Hale-XF11

I think stunt jumps require that you land somewhere pretty specific. I found one jump that threw you off one freeway and it looks like the objective was to hit the free way next to it. But I fucked it up and missed.

You have to look around and try to figure out what the "stunt" is.

I've done about 10 of them so far, but they're a real pain in the ass you have to make sure the car touches down wheel first on at least two wheels. The cinematic camera also makes it difficult to straighten the car out in mid-air if you don't get an even jump.

*edit, and yeah, as oneils said, some of them require you to land in a specific area.
That all sounds really lame, heh. I guess I probably won't bother with those anymore then. Not worth the trouble.

Piggus

Be warned they crack easy (mine lasted a year). Sony wouldn't replace them. So I got a second pair.

Keep them out of the cold. The material is sensitive to cold for some reason, causing it to crack faster. Adjust the length, even if you don't have to. The pressure point is around where you adjust the headphones.

Thanks for the heads up :) I'll be careful

If you hold left or right then hit X/square while in cover, you can wrap around corners. Pressing up and square lets you vault/climb over cover.

How about

That would work. My way would keep the cross hair off screen in case you want to just pose with a gun on a HUDless screen like a bamf

beastmode

Yeah this game definitely needed to have things cut, not added. Even not paying attention to anything but main, non-prep missions is only like a 2:1 ratio of great to boring or bad.

Lima

I finally finished the last mission you get in this game. The last stranger and freaks mission you get with Franklin after getting 100% completion.

Lol Rockstar. Bigfoot is alive!

How about

Hire Net_Wrecker.

Also, if weapon is out and you're in stealth mode you can still creep if you just have to have that combat slow-walk action.

Codeblew

I finished the game and the Character selector indicates that Franklin has 1 mission but I do not see anything on the map. Anybody have any idea what it may be? The only thing I can think of is some chick called while I was preoccupied so I didn't answer. She never called back.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I finished the game and the Character selector indicates that Franklin has 1 mission but I do not see anything on the map. Anybody have any idea what it may be? The only thing I can think of is some chick called while I was preoccupied so I didn't answer. She never called back.

Most likely a stranger mission that won't appear on the map until a certain time of day or something.

Fjordson

It seems odd to say people are being "forgiving" when they don't have any outstanding issues with combat. Should people automatically say the combat is bad because other people don't like it?

According to some people, yes.

You should also play other open-world games. Since it was said in the other topic that if someone has played other open-world games then they'll see that GTA V is not actually that good :lol

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I just learned a new curse word from Trevor today. "Cock snot". Never heard that one before and it had me laughing so hard. Fucking love that guy.

Lima

Try calling Tonya to see if you still need to do another towing mission. Also finish all of the skydiving activities to get the last mission from Dom.

terrible

Banned

You should also play other open-world games. Since it was said in the other topic that if someone has played other open-world games then they'll see that GTA V is not actually that good :lol

The reason I think GTA V is so good is because I have played lots of other open world games haha. It only makes it more obvious how special GTA V is.

Fjordson

The reason I think GTA V is so good is because I have played lots of other open world games haha. It only makes it more obvious how special GTA V is.
I agree completely.

I don't care if other people feel differently, they're welcome to, but to suggest that my enjoyment of this game is simply due to ignorance of other games is really obnoxious.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm thinking that I just might try to get 70 gold medals and call it quits on the single player. I really don't have the patience to collect all of the spaceship parts and the letters

Moze

Banned

Anyone who has played a half decent cover shooter can tell just how bad GTA V is.

Mindjack has better shooting and cover mechanics than GTA V and i'm not even joking

Well, there are two sides on this. One side has very few problems with combat and has enjoyed combat throughout the game, the other side loathes the combat completely and seems to never have fun shooting dudes. It seems odd to say people are being "forgiving" when they don't have any outstanding issues with combat. Should people automatically say the combat is bad because other people don't like it?

If these controls were put into any other open world game with this much shooting, there would be complaints out the ass. The rest of the game is so improved over GTAIV that combat is being forgiven. This would be comparable to Sleeping Dogs controlling like an Elder Scrolls game except the fights were still designed with Batman counters and freeflowing movement in mind. These shootouts are deigned for quick, precise aiming and movement (or lock-on, unfortunately), but we're still controlling tanks. Well, they're more like APCs now, but my point remains.

Know you're being fictitious but playing other open world games(hell, every other one) is exactly what makes me able to fully state that GTA V is on another level of quality and interaction. Everything else just feels so barren and lifeless, the amount of detail built into GTA worlds when combined with the Euphoria system just elevates it to another plane.

Don't get the cover complaints either, in 40 hours of playing I have not had a single instance where cover didn't work(ie hitting r1 wouldn't put me down) Now, there have been times where I've tried taking cover behind a tiny rock or something and subsequently was shot in the head but that's to be expected. Also played using Free Aim for the entirety and it's perfectly serviceable. Lock on is horribly boring, just turn the sensitivity up and it's fine. And this is coming from someone who primarily plays on the pc.

Do think the gunplay could have been a tad more detailed though, it's still very fun and above games like Saints Row or Just Cause but the animations aren't as detailed as other Rockstar games. Shooting people in the legs doesn't make them limp as far as I could tell like in Red Dead and they removed bullet wounds(outside of the player character) for some reason which both Red Dead and Max Payne 3 had. Hopefully such things are improved for the PC version. Some incredible animations in general though.

Sorian

Banned
And I disagree. I've had no issues with the cover system.

Same, the only combat issue I have had is that sometimes I feel like I can take enough bullets to put down a fleet of elephants and other times, someone gets a lucky pot shot and I'm down. I try to "learn" how much damage I can take because I rarely find myself looking at my health in games like this but that hasn't worked here.

But GTA is not a cover shooter.

Most of the missions involving gunplay are.

No Love

Banned
Man, I love the Coquette you can drive in the Solomon missions. I wish I trusted the custom saves to keep it for me.

unique snowflake syndrome

You can find the Coquette all over downtown LA. It is by far one of the best cars in the game, along with the Pfister/Porsche 911.

Moze

Banned
And I disagree. I've had no issues with the cover system.

Do you play cover shooters normally?

Do you actually like the cover system or are you just ''accepting it'' because you enjoy the game as a whole? Because if you actually like the cover system i don't even know what to say man

But GTA is not a cover shooter.

It likes to act like one though

Megasoum

Banned
Post Heist 3 mission spoiler..

So I'm about to steal a train supposidly full of gold... Should I be investing in Gold before hand? Will the price go up if I steal a bunch of it?

majik13

yeah I think this maybe it. I did a jump twice. First I failed, as my car was sort of tilted and I landed on one wheel. Second time I landed it what seemed like almost the exact same spot, but I tried to keep my car level (difficult with the camera angle) I may have jumped a little farther that the first time, but really not sure.

Top Bottom