• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Just started this afternoon , game is cool so far , even if you can see the limitations of the console on screen ( especialy during daytime )

I'm very unhappy that there isn't the apps on android available after 1 week .
Seriously rockstar ?not everybody has a Iphone.

Tourmeta

Is there any strategy to finding collectibles, like an in-game website with hints or a map, or is it literally just a matter of exploring?

Social Club has a map, it shows the location of discovered/undiscovered collectibles. Bottom of checklist page.

Like this:
em1Pubi.png

Outside of parking your getaway car wherever you fancy, and choosing between which linear mission you'd like to do... Yes, yes it is.

The actual mission design itself, still isn't up to GTA of old standards, because it's not a fucking sandbox anymore, and I felt Red Dead captured that better than anything else they've done this generation.

Be happy with the wider shootouts. The close quarters ones feel like GTA4.5. Not very good IMO.

I just don't find them all that fun, it's generally too chaotic and over the top. I'd prefer a bit more strategy - also, ever notice how much more lethal the cops are outside of missions? Changes the dynamic completely, whereas in missions you rack up a body count like nobodies business.

Tunavi

Banned
Does stamina actually increase the running speed of the characters? I hate how slow they are. Fastest way to level this up if so? Triathlons?

pringles

This game is getting annoying, I can drive from Franklins house to Michaels and all I see if fucking SUVs and jeeps!
Weird, I usually see a wide variety of vehicles and haven't seen any of GTA IV's constant "let's put nothing but vehicle X on the road!". Does so much for the immersion, as does the way certain cars are more common in some areas.

I just don't find them all that fun, it's generally too chaotic and over the top. I'd prefer a bit more strategy - also, ever notice how much more lethal the cops are outside of missions? Changes the dynamic completely, whereas in missions you rack up a body count like nobodies business.

I completely get your complaint with the more open shootouts, but the mechanics are not up to snuff for corridor shooting IMO. Making quick moves and trying to maneuver through the shootout feels almost exactly like GTAIV. I disliked how the initial open shootouts and Rampages felt, but the close quarters ones are worse IMO. Very disappointing.

And yes, police and gunfire of any kind is lethal in the open world. Makes you feel like the protags are made of glass.

The mission design is as weak as GTAIV.

I don't know how you can possibly think that. I had to force myself through IV's missions because they got so monotonous and repetitive whereas I'm breezing through V's faster than I have in a GTA before.

The first 5 hours of GTAV alone feature a mission that destroys the absolute very best mission in IV and from there on out typical GTA missions are interspersed with far more exciting and varying missions. They're often ridiculous and over the top, and they stick to genre tropes, but they're more exciting than anything Rockstar have offered in an open world before.

I'd agree that V's overall story isn't fantastic, and I prefer Red Dead's, but it's always entertaining and the missions themselves are the best the franchise has offered by far.

DukeBobby

Outside of parking your getaway car wherever you fancy, and choosing between which linear mission you'd like to do... Yes, yes it is.

The actual mission design itself, still isn't up to GTA of old standards, because it's not a fucking sandbox anymore, and I felt Red Dead captured that better than anything else they've done this generation.

How does Red Dead Redeption have great mission design? Aside from herding cattle (oh, how fun), the game had very little variety. Most missions were basically 'ride for miles on a horse, kill some dudes, cutscene, the end'.

I don't see how it's less linear than GTA V.

Is it known for sure that snow doesn't appear in the game besides
North Yankton
and using cheats? I was cycling through the weather and the I've never had thundery weather before, just rain. The weather actually stays the same most of the time while it rains occasionally.

redhot_

Weird, I usually see a wide variety of vehicles and haven't seen any of GTA IV's constant "let's put nothing but vehicle X on the road!". Does so much for the immersion, as does the way certain cars are more common in some areas.

Ya I usually notice each chuck of the map has specific types of vehicles. Just recently though while trying to finish up these stunt jumps it's been happening while looking for a faster car.

If that starts happening, you should probably do a quicksave and reboot the game. Sounds like the memory constrains got messed up.

Oh uh. Thanks for the heads up. I will test that out next time I notice it.

Pooya

Kifflom!

done, this was just so satisfying, all that suffering was worth it.
I can't stop laughing now.

what happens if you deliver the car though? guess I have to replay.

--

I didn't know you could replay the heists and try other approaches, gotta do them all now. So much stuff left to do still. hmm

cackhyena

I feel like you're fucking with me. Explain to me what exactly was more "open world" in RDR's mission structure?

Is it known for sure that snow doesn't appear in the game besides
North Yankton
and using cheats? I was cycling through the weather and the I've never had thundery weather before, just rain. The weather actually stays the same most of the time while it rains occasionally.

I've been playing for 30 hours and I've only experienced two thunderstorms. But I guess that makes them more special when they do appear, and it's probably realistic for the climate.

cdkee

Banned
How does Red Dead Redeption have great mission design? Aside from herding cattle (oh, how fun), the game had very little variety. Most missions were basically 'ride for miles on a horse, kill some dudes, cutscene, the end'.

I don't see how it's less linear than GTA V.
Neither do I. 90% of RDR missions were "ride here, talk on the way with another mostly annoying character that Marston threatens to kill, shoot dudes who assault you, ride back, cutscene."

At least in GTA5 a lot of the missions give you the option of being stealthy with a suppressor to avoid cops, and that's not even mentioning the amazing missions.

I went through a lot of trouble to find and make the perfect getaway vehicle. I found a fast SUV and I put a lot of money into it to make it, cool looking, bullet proof and even faster. I was so disappointed when I actually had to get in the getaway vehicle for the mission. I wasn't chased by the cops and all my modifications were pointless. The ride lasted a very uneventful minute.

I don't know how you can possibly think that. I had to force myself through IV's missions because they got so monotonous and repetitive whereas I'm breezing through V's faster than I have in a GTA before.

The first 5 hours of GTAV alone feature a mission that destroys the absolute very best mission in IV and from there on out typical GTA missions are interspersed with far more exciting and varying missions. They're often ridiculous and over the top, and they stick to genre tropes, but they're more exciting than anything Rockstar have offered in an open world before.

I'd agree that V's overall story isn't fantastic, and I prefer Red Dead's, but it's always entertaining and the missions themselves are the best the franchise has offered by far.

Yeah, and in terms of narrative I admit I take issue with that. Don't put me in a world that is steeped in realism and take that tone. It's not consistent with my playtime outside the missions

However, even if you don't take that into account, the only thing that makes the missions interesting IS their story. Because it still isn't the sandbox game GTA games of old used to be. It's still directed to buggery.

And I would definitely argue Red Dead was better at that, even if it couldn't match GTA5's variety.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys in peace, I love the world. I love the premise of the story. I am just slogging through it, because it's not quite the exercise in learning from mistakes I was hoping from a GTA game. Especially after RDR.

I am not having as much fun simply put - it is an opinion I understand not many will share.

Moze

Banned
I'd rather have combat systems in place that have learning curves along with more difficult scenarios in general. Sleeping Dogs was incredibly easy, most firefights felt the same throughout the game.

GTA 5 firefights are just frustrating though. The cover system is completely fucked and the shooting mechanics are meh. The fact that you die after a few shots doesn't help either

MormaPope

Banned
When people say they prefer RDR over GTA V, it has to be the setting/story and atmosphere that makes them say that. The main missions in GTA V are astounding, you never know what will happen in the next mission and why/how it happens.

I still love GTA IV and RDR after GTA V, but GTA V outclasses everything before it.

GTA 5 firefights are just frustrating though. The cover system is completely fucked and the shooting mechanics are meh. The fact that you die after a few shots doesn't help either

Learn from your deaths instead of blaming the game. The cover system works, if you take cover that can be easily flanked or there's still line of sight from the enemies perspective. that's on you. The enemy AI isn't dumb anymore, taking cover behind something while still being somewhat exposed means they'll shoot you.

Current cover not working? Run and gun with semi automatic fire and find a new place to rest.

Revven

Holy crap the last Triathlon is ridiculously long. 27 minutes to complete it!? If it wasn't for my stamina meter being full the whole time (because I maxed out stamina) I don't think I would have kept going. Just wayyyyyy too much tapping, christ. The first two were fine and enjoyable but the last one was completely excessive (whether it's matching how it is realistically I don't care, it killed my thumb). And there was a hell of a lot of rubberbanding during the bicycle portion that I had to keep pressing X over and over...

Feel like my thumb's going to fall off any minute.

GTAV wins by virtue of not having anything as bad as Mexico.

Okay... Now THAT is just off-the-radar craziness to me. Do you honestly not feel GTAV suffers from the same Housers-can't-stop-writing syndrome? Too many characters, too many narrative digressions, with all it's commentary indulgence?

I am the first to bemoan Mexico (aside from Landon Ricketts, and getting there with Irish) but to imply GTA5 doesn't have it's own Mexico is, well I am gonna struggle taking that one lying down.

dreamfall

When people say they prefer RDR over GTA V, it has to be the setting/story and atmosphere that makes them say that. The main missions in GTA V are astounding, you never know what will happen in the next mission and why/how it happens.

I still love GTA IV and RDR after GTA V, but GTA V outclasses everything before it.

I still think I prefer RDR, precisely because of the setting/story bits you've mentioned. It felt so unique to ride horses, to travel to locations that felt so different- snowy Tall Trees, to dusty bits of Casa Madrugada and to use Dead Eye targeting. Also, the wildlife aspect felt so unique at the time- those god damn cougars killing me at night by Fort Mercer! I liked the Rank/Challenges used to become a Legend of the West, and the dynamic events were awesome to experience the first couple times around. Camp fire saving, clearing out forts, all the mini-games- it felt like a world we hadn't been to yet.

That being said, GTA V's mission variety, shooting targeting, character switching feel like the the best systems ever employed in an open world game. I'm consistently astounded by the vastness of the game, the way different characters react to the world and the diversity of Los Santos. This game is truly wonderful. I loved IV, and this improves on it is every way. Many years will be spent here.

MormaPope

Banned
Okay... Now THAT is just off-the-radar craziness to me. Do you honestly not feel GTAV suffers from the same Housers-can't-stop-writing syndrome? Too many characters, too many narrative digressions, with all it's commentary indulgence?

I am the first to bemoan Mexico (aside from Landon Ricketts, and getting there with Irish) but to imply GTA5 doesn't have it's own Mexico is, well I am gonna struggle taking that one lying down.

Mexico in RDR is oddly paced. It isn't bad, but it's easily understandable why a lot of people didn't dig Mexico. What is GTA V's Mexico mission wise and pacing wise? There isn't a equivalent, the main missions in GTA V are all paced extremely well.

I still think I prefer RDR, precisely because of the setting/story bits you've mentioned. It felt so unique to ride horses, to travel to locations that felt so different- snowy Tall Trees, to dusty bits of Casa Madrugada and to use Dead Eye targeting. Also, the wildlife aspect felt so unique at the time- those god damn cougars killing me at night by Fort Mercer! I liked the Rank/Challenges used to become a Legend of the West, and the dynamic events were awesome to experience the first couple times around. Camp fire saving, clearing out forts, all the mini-games- it felt like a world we hadn't been to yet.

That being said, GTA V's mission variety, shooting targeting, character switching feel like the the best systems ever employed in an open world game. I'm consistently astounded by the vastness of the game, the way different characters react to the world and the diversity of Los Santos. This game is truly wonderful.

Your perspective and explanation is easy to understand and is well spoken. I prefer crime drama/thrillers over Western environments and tropes, I like cars of all types more than any horse back riding.

Moze

Banned

Learn from your deaths instead of blaming the game. The cover system works, if you take cover that can be easily flanked or there's still line of sight from the enemies perspective. that's on you. The enemy AI isn't dumb anymore, taking cover behind something while still being somewhat exposed means they'll shoot you.

Current cover not working? Run and gun with semi automatic fire and find a new place to rest.

I did learn from my deaths, i learned the game is basically built for auto aim and using free aim was a poor decision from me.

The cover system is TERRIBLE, like i don't understand how anyone can even defend it on any level. You can't vault over or switch between cover. The cover system goes against everything people expect in a cover shooter. How exactly do you switch cover? Because when i switch cover i have to snap out of cover (which is clunky itself) and run around the corner to get back in cover. This leaves me open to gun fire, and as i said before it is extremely easy to die in the game

Khezu

I turned the game on, walked a few feet in T's trailer, and then this spawned and trapped me in a corner, and I can't move.
zURkVFM.jpg

Jaded

Banned
I don't get it. I found a stunt jump in front of an abandoned motel and i used a golf cart to jump it and i made it!!! But it said i failed the jump, what gives?

Mexico in RDR is oddly paced. It isn't bad, but it's easily understandable why a lot of people didn't dig Mexico. What is GTA V's Mexico mission wise and pacing wise? There isn't a equivalent, the main missions in GTA V are all paced extremely well.
Every Rockstar game seems to have some point in it where you're doing a bunch of missions for no reason, or just being forced to deal with the whims of asshole NPCs that have you running around with no reward or illusory rewards.

That was Mexico in Read Dead, which for as many missions as it had it barely moved the story forward an inch by the end of it all. GTA5 has it too, as its where I currently find myself.

I would outright call the Mexico section weak, because it feels quite futile and long winded - without much narrative drive

But everything
with the agency, that I wasn't earning any money on, because I was in their pocket
felt exactly the same. Going in circles purely to get on with the story proper.

Jaded

Banned
Pretty sure there's a set distance you need to jump.

I get that but i literally cleared the roof cleanly while doing tricks in the air and cleared the pool siiting behind the motel and still failed!! I was laughing my ass off the whole time the cart was in the air until it said i failed, bummer.

MormaPope

Banned
I did learn from my deaths, i learned the game is basically built for auto aim and using free aim was a poor decision from me.

The cover system is TERRIBLE, like i don't understand how anyone can even defend it on any level. You can't vault over or switch between cover. The cover system goes against everything people expect in a cover shooter. How exactly do you switch cover? Because when i switch cover i have to snap out of cover (which is clunky itself) and run around the corner to get back in cover. This leaves me open to gun fire, and as i said before it is extremely easy to die in the game

I've been using free aim the entire game, I've probably died a few times in main mission from getting shot. I've done around 51 missions. Trying to get out of cover without hip firing to a new piece of cover will mean you get turned into Swiss cheese, GTA V rewards players for handling themselves in firefights.

If anything the game is much less forgivable for not being more meticulous during firefights. Guns and certain weapon types actually have relevance in GTA V, vs past GTA's where gun variety didn't have much relevance due to dumb enemy AI along with whole weapon types becoming useless later in the game.

Offering advice for technique in this game is laughable. Combat is still slow and clunky, enemies are still wack-a-mole popping up through doors, around corners, and on stairwells; and cover is still janky with transitions not working half the time and vaulting being super picky about when it wants to work properly. People are being incredibly forgiving with this game IMO. It's not that far removed from GTAIV in combat, and it becomes more apparent the longer I play.

Top Bottom