• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

eival

why didnt they program the game so that when you purchased new clothes, they got added to the rotation of "outfit" combinations so we dont see the same 4-5 each time you switch characters

all the attention to detail, you'd think someone would of thought of this, especially since you can go to the trouble to changing the clothes, but within 24(game) hours its gonna switch back to a pre-set outfit anyways

Anyone know how to make significant amounts of money after completing the story?

Buy properties and play the stock market and perform stuff to have it sway in your favor. For example buy stock in a company and then take out key objects from its competitors to increase the stock price. I bought stock in Emu Air. Then would go to the airport and start blowing up all the other jetliners and airplanes like flyus. Also go to get stock in an insurance company. The more things that are destroyed the insurance stock will raise.

Alfredo

Building big, recognizable, "landmark" areas in open world games and not using them should be a gaming offense punishable by law. I don't want to hear about GTAO either, because they'll never use those spots to their fullest potential online.

It's like the Checkov's Gun of game design. Don't show me stuff then not use them.

If they do DLC, they'll probably make use of those areas. That's what was kinda cool about the GTA IV DLC, all these neat locations existed in Liberty City that I wasn't even aware of 'til the DLC lead me to them.

border

all the attention to detail, you'd think someone would of thought of this, especially since you can go to the trouble to changing the clothes, but within 24(game) hours its gonna switch back to a pre-set outfit anyways

Yeah, I don't really get why buying clothes and outfits is so emphasized when most of the time you're forced into wearing a particular outfit anyway. You switch characters and the one you just selected is no longer wearing your outfit of choice. Yeah, you could go back to the safehouse and swap clothes but what's the point?

Dead Man

why didnt they program the game so that when you purchased new clothes, they got added to the rotation of "outfit" combinations so we dont see the same 4-5 each time you switch characters

The ability to save outfits would be nice as well. It really feels like nobody that makes decisions at R* ever wants to do something that another game has done, even if it is a good way of doing things.

Yo, I just finished the game and looked at the credits......

Did anyone else know that Aunt Denise is voiced by the first Aunt Viv from Fresh Prince?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Building big, recognizable, "landmark" areas in open world games and not using them should be a gaming offense punishable by law. I don't want to hear about GTAO either, because they'll never use those spots to their fullest potential online.

It's like the Checkov's Gun of game design. Don't show me stuff then not use them.

What? It's called building a world. Building a bunch of generic, samey buildings and only focusing on the 'unique' ones is called lazy design. It's called a open world that has no meaning. The best part about GTA's world is that it has insane detail that's only there to be used as window dressing.

eival

Yeah, I don't really get why buying clothes and outfits is so emphasized when most of the time you're forced into wearing a particular outfit anyway. You switch characters and the one you just selected is no longer wearing your outfit of choice. Yeah, you could go back to the safehouse and swap clothes but what's the point?

The ability to save outfits would be nice as well. It really feels like nobody that makes decisions at R* ever wants to do something that another game has done, even if it is a good way of doing things.

the only thing i can think of is, theres certain stuff each character wouldn't wear in real life, like when Michael has to buy hipster clothes for the Life Invader mission, but what about all the nice stuff from Ponsobys?

they could of set some type of in-game code to recognize when you have certain set of clothes it adds it as an "outfit"

Has anyone else had issues on the PS3 version of the game with occasional freezing and severe pop in?

Disc version of the game. It'll occasionally freeze for around 5 seconds and then be fine again. Other times the entire world will be grey and will take a bit for models/textures to pop in.

Not good :(

DD version or Disk?

If its Disk then your Bluray is probably going to die soon. If you played nonstop for hours and now encountered this you should stay away from your console for a few hours and then try playing again.

What console version do you have and since when do you have it?

_woLf

DD version or Disk?

If its Disk then your Bluray is probably going to die soon. If you played nonstop for hours and now encountered this you should stay away from your console for a few hours and then try playing again.

What console version do you have and since when do you have it?

I have an 80GB PS3 from like 2008. It's the bundle that came with MGS4. Like I said, it's the disc version of the game.

It did start after playing for awhile... I'll try later and hope for the best. I can't afford another PS3, especially not with PS4 around the corner :/

What? It's called building a world. Building a bunch of generic, samey buildings and only focusing on the 'unique' ones is called lazy design. It's called a open world that has no meaning. The best part about GTA's world is that it has insane detail that's only there to be used as window dressing.

Agreed. Rather than complain that some awesome looking building somewhere isn't there for a purpose, I'm impressed that they went to such lengths to make their world look so beautiful and distinct when a lesser dev (with less resources) would be content with cutting and pasting a stock building. I'm mean jesus, It's not like I'm lacking in things to do in the meantime.

I have an 80GB PS3 from like 2008. It's the bundle that came with MGS4. Like I said, it's the disc version of the game.

It did start after playing for awhile... I'll try later and hope for the best. I can't afford another PS3, especially not with PS4 around the corner :/

If you are lucky then its just a HDD Issue that you can solve with the Safe Mode. But i dont know if your PS3 can do the Safe Mode.

JoshHood

I know he's a dick, but now he sounds like a dick with no weight behind it.
I do feel like they rebooted his character to fit in a bit more, which makes sense, because he is exactly the sort of person throughout who would be crappily presenting the audition stage of a degrading talent show. Just have a listen to his 'on the streets' stuff in IV, he's clearly a twat only out for himself in that.
Agreed. Rather than complain that some awesome looking building somewhere isn't there for a purpose, I'm impressed that they went to such lengths to make their world look so beautiful and distinct when a lesser dev (with less resources) would be content with cutting and pasting a stock building. I'm mean jesus, It's not like I'm lacking in things to do in the meantime.
Yup. I get it'll be disappointing to not enter them even online, but it'll be much cooler telling the story of an epic gang war at the prison, compared to just outside a generic apartment building.

Getting right back into the thick of things tomorrow afternoon (do my first triathlon and return to main story missions). Hope I can finish the story before Online next week

Yo, I just finished the game and looked at the credits......

Did anyone else know that Aunt Denise is voiced by the first Aunt Viv from Fresh Prince?

I'm not sure that's a spoiler. But which Aunt Viv, the first Aunt Viv or the second Aunt Viv? I like to pretend the second one never happened.

Raptomex

So does installing the play disk to a flash drive really improve performance on 360? I have plenty of space and am just running from the disk and some sites recommended this flash drive method but maybe to those with not a lot of space. Does it make a difference than running it from the disk?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Paying as trevor in full white trash meth head psycho mode - trucker hats and underwear - killing cops all over the God dammed place and "say that then" starts right when they pop my tires with a strip.

I sware they plan this stuff.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I have the freezing thing too, but only once per session, at the beginning. No severe pop ins, disc version and same PS3 model as you have I guess.
Hope my disc drive isn't crapping out on me now :[

bomma_man

the only thing i can think of is, theres certain stuff each character wouldn't wear in real life, like when Michael has to buy hipster clothes for the Life Invader mission, but what about all the nice stuff from Ponsobys?

they could of set some type of in-game code to recognize when you have certain set of clothes it adds it as an "outfit"

what kinda self respecting hipster wheres cargo shorts and sweater vests??

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So after I decided to stay up the entire night and then go to bed, I realized that wasn't such a good idea :lol When I came home, I pretty much went straight into bed. So no GTA V yesterday!

The result? Today I'm REALLY in the need of some Trevor! Can't wait to finish this today :D It'll be a sad moment, but at the same time I can't wait to see the ending!

Septimius

So after I decided to stay up the entire night and then go to bed, I realized that wasn't such a good idea :lol When I came home, I pretty much went straight into bed. So no GTA V yesterday!

The result? Today I'm REALLY in the need of some Trevor! Can't wait to finish this today :D It'll be a sad moment, but at the same time I can't wait to see the ending!

Haha. I did that last week. I slept a few hours the night before, came home, all excited to play, then fell asleep. I did wake up at like 10, so I did get some hours in, though.

Now I'm a bit bummed out that I did the assassination missions early, and didn't save them to make a lot of money. However, I don't get the tie-in with your own universe and the fact that BAWSAQ is supposed to be online. BAWSAQ never moves for me, anyway, but I did make a lot on the Fruit-purchase. However, the Vapid mission didn't seem to work, as I was expecting a bounce after a decline after the mission.

Thinking of reverting to an old save halfway through the assassination missions so I can afford to buy all the properties at the end of the game. I think it would be worth losing 10ish hours progress to avoid grinding money at endgame. Lucky all the missions are so much fun. :)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Why is everyone so determined to buy all the properties? The expensive ones don't give you anything, do they?

My "Grand Theft Auto" response:
You've grown soft. The line, in your mind, is drawn too low. There's property and opportunity out there for the taking, but instead you're just sitting in your shit house with your shit money completely content with the life you lead. Expansion, my friend. You'll grow much too tired of petty theft. Eventually you'll want to own it all to make real paper.

My actual response:
100%, baby. I want to own and do every single thing this game has to offer. How you play is up to you!

I don't see it like that. Having big unique areas or structures/buildings, and using them simply as "window dressing" seems like wasted space IMO. The real "window dressing" are those hundreds of small houses and buildings you can't go into, the generic 3-4 floor apartment buildings, the hundreds of fake storefronts and businesses; the "generic" buildings that give each neighborhood their own distinct flavor. The landmarks, on the other hand, should be used. It gives the mission and location an identity that lives on for as long as the player is in that world and passes those spots over, and over again. I don't see the purpose of adding something like a prison or a stadium and not using it. It just turns into a case of "Oh cool there's a _______ in the game. Too bad there was never a reason to come here."

There's a lot of the map that's just there for tourism's sake. That's okay, but I, personally, find it more fun when the game takes me to those places, and makes them special. I'll always remember the golf course in GTAV, for example, not for the golf mini-game, but for the stranger mission that brought me there, and what I went through completing that mission. Red Dead Redemption actually did a great job of using a lot of the natural landmarks throughout the story, even if they were just backdrops for another shootout.

Ban Puncher

Finished last night, mopping up on activities and achievements now.

My only regret is due to the shitty AI freaking out
that cunt psychiatrist got away before I could murder his ass with no way to replay the scene and the autosave had put me past that point. Instead I got text messages from him, taunting me about his wonderful life of new found fame. I want that fucker in the ground or at least go a few rounds tied to a chair with Trevor working on him.

Fantastic game, warts and all. Hopefully the bugs get ironed out soon, I'm not wasting any more of my money on car customisation or online vehicles only to have them disappear at random again. Spent a sack of cash customising a Hot Knife only for it to bugger off and if I pull another from the garage it's back to being stock. Had a couple of
the cult's pale blue custom plated cars
in Michael's home garage for the past few days only to have them vanish into thin air a couple of hours ago. They were my trophies, man.....

SJRB

Gold Member
Has anyone else had issues on the PS3 version of the game with occasional freezing and severe pop in?

Disc version of the game. It'll occasionally freeze for around 5 seconds and then be fine again. Other times the entire world will be grey and will take a bit for models/textures to pop in.

Not good :(

I'm playing disc-based version on a 60gb launch PS3, and I've had three times where I thought the game froze but it continued about 5 seconds later. All of those happened during high-speed chase sequences. I suppose the console chokes under extreme memory pressure or something.

That's three times in about 38 hours of playtime, no pop-in issues at all though.

Holy shit at the mission when Trevor enters Los Santos!

i5toUnML71Lmm.gif

eival

if this microtransaction rumor is right, i hope Rockstar played their cards correctly

if they think simply getting cash quick to "show off to friends online" is the only major premise to make us spend real cash, they'll sorely be mistaken.

i enjoyed GTA 4 Free Roam all these years with out ever once unlocking new clothes or gear from playing the competitive modes, same with Red Dead.

as long as the 500 or so missions can be played solo, idc about my "crib" or outfit

Top Bottom