• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Very true, especially for GTA4.

My only problem with money is doing missions that net you nothing. One or two of those can be fine and work into the story. But there are way too many of them. At this point I don't even remember the last time I got paid from one.

I'm with you on that.

Question about the second major heist mission, the
Merriweather Heist mission where you take the nuclear bomb or whatever that is. In that mission, do you get anything from it? For instance, do you get access to the sub from doing that mission or do you get access to that military grade helicopter? Or do they just all disappear? I did it last night but I forgot whether they all disappear or not after. If they all disappear then I think that Rockstar made a real "game making 101" mistake with that mission... Because it gets you absolutely nothing at that point, and is pretty much irrelevant from a story perspective.

daviyoung

Banned
I'm with you on that.

Merriweather Heist mission where you take the nuclear bomb or whatever that is. In that mission, do you get anything from it? For instance, do you get access to the sub from doing that mission or do you get access to that military grade helicopter? Or do they just all disappear? I did it last night but I forgot whether they all disappear or not after. If they all disappear then I think that Rockstar made a real "game making 101" mistake with that mission... Because it gets you absolutely nothing at that point, and is pretty much irrelevant from a story perspective.

I liked that you didn't get any reward for doing the mission.

It should make you angry at Merriweather, and Devin, and find other ways of making revenue: there are tons. The mission is one where you get screwed over, that's the story arc, you get screwed over. Time to take it back. I liked that angle.

Tawpgun

I'm with you on that.

I was curious to know what changes if you pick the other location to hit.

Overdoziz

Banned
I liked that you didn't get any reward for doing the mission.

It should make you angry at Merriweather, and Devin, and find other ways of making revenue: there are tons. The mission is one where you get screwed over, that's the story arc, you get screwed over. Time to take it back. I liked that angle.
You get screwed over by the game more than anything really, though. It's kinda dumb.

After the
Kifflom
mission where you use the plane, I saw the guy basically crash but the plane didn't explode. It just kept moving along the floor slowly.

0_0.jpg

Not sure if that's what normally happens or not. I just blew it up with sticky bombs afterwards since I couldn't shoot him.

J2 Cool

So I haven't bought a copy yet, been playing my buddy's ps3 copy. Do we he a consensus on the better version yet, 360 or PS3?

Getting very tired of this. Franklyn does jobs and never gets fucking paid. WTF is that shit?
A black gangster getting used by super rich white dudes, not getting paid and then pouting and walking away without somebody getting dead!? Suspension of disbelief broken R*.

daviyoung

Banned
Getting very tired of this. Franklyn does jobs and never gets fucking paid. WTF is that shit?
A black gangster getting used by super rich white dudes, not getting paid and then pouting and walking away without somebody getting dead!? Suspension of disbelief broken R*.

Franklin is a reasonable character. He's in it for the long game, it's just not obvious.

Trevor's the only character who seems to give a shit about being taken for a ride

Lima

So I haven't bought a copy yet, been playing my buddy's ps3 copy. Do we he a consensus on the better version yet, 360 or PS3?

Digital Foundry dude.

PS3 disc version is best. 360 has a little blurrier ground textures. Avoid PSN version.

RaikuHebi

Banned
If earning money is that much of a chore that the game seems broken then I'll just use cheats. The most expensive properties where this is an issue aren't required for 100% completion anyway.

Rizsparky

Just completed the game, amazing experience.

Doing the Trevor's mom mission. How the hell are you supposed to find the Pill van?

daviyoung

Banned
When you do a major heist with millions of dollars involved, you'd expect to see SOME of it, instead of nothing.

That's kind of the point, you get fucked over. The game fucks you over by not giving you what you expect. No big deal, the mission's done now and you have another one. I need help understanding these complaints, it's not like they're charging DLC for you to get your heist money!

duckroll

It's realistic because Franklin's the black guy who wants to walk away from the gangbanger life style and tries to be a nice guy all the time, so people walk all over him. It's kinda funny! ._.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I for one am very happy there is something to spend money on.

A complaint I've had about all open world games is that you always have too much money and nothing to spend it on. In GTAIV, there was nothing to spend money on (probably made, what, $750,000 throughout the SP missions, and spent maybe... $5000 - $10,000)... And even other open world games, from Fallout to Skyrim, and almost everything else, you accumulate a ton of money and can't spend it on anything.

So I'm glad that R* included some hugely aspirational purchases. Now, that being said, I don't really like how long it'll take to make some of that back. Someone estimate that at the rate the golf course pays out, you'd have to play the game for something like 8 hours every day for the next 2 years to make back that $150m investment... Which just doesn't make much sense for why you'd ever want to buy it (unless it gives you access to something else that you wouldn't otherwise get).

So, kudos to R* for giving you something to spend your money on in GTAV. Right now I'm feeling the squeeze though. I lost a modded car and so I haven't modded anythign until that's patched... But I'm still working off of my money from the first heist.

I also don't really think that the properties pay back enough.

The Hen House is $80,000... the cheapest property I think. It pays back $920/week. That's $920 every 5.6 hours of game time. That's just not enough of a pay back.. unless you hit a lot of missions that "pass the time" for you (a much appreciated new mechanic in GTA, btw!). It would take some 87 in-game weeks to get back your initial investment... 87 * 5.7 is 487 hours. 487 hours is 20 continuous days leaving the game plugged in or on to make back the smallest investment in the game. For a game that will probably give, at the most, 100 hours of gameplay ... It just seems really inbalanced.

Maybe there is something balancing this out that I'm not thinking of, but unless a property gives you something, there is no reason to buy it. Like, an airfield gives you access to various vehicles and storage of additional vehicles. The Hen House, as far as I know, gives you nothing but some occassional protective missions... you can't even walk into it once you buy it (a major bummer IMO). WIthout giving you something, I don't get the incentive.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I don't like having these big properties to get, it just doesn't seem worth it in the long run besides as you said the ones that give you places to put vehicles.

I would have preferred more properties with a much larger range of cost and profits that you can get across the course of the game, and not what most people seem to be doing which is to hold off till after the game to pick them up. At which point they are mostly pointless for story reasons as they wont make you back anything near what you put into them.

PS3 seems to be the "better" version, but not by anything meaningful, they are pretty much the same on either system.

Holy fucking cow, the submarine missions are boring. Tell me something great happens after I collect the 30 drums. I've found 22 so far and I think it's probably the worst part of the game. It'd be somewhat more bearable if they let you listen to the radio, but no... What a design fail that sticks out like a sore thumb because the rest of the game is fucking great.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
Does anyone have tips for collecting the nuclear waste in the submarine? I got 15/30 but I can't see under water at the next location, it is literally pitch white.

Just follow your radar. The distance counts how high/low you are from the waste. Get the number close to zero and the red dot in the middle. If you are close enough you can see its glow. Also make sure not to dive too deep as the weight of the water can actually destroy the sub. If that happens, get out and salvage the waste.

Franklin is a reasonable character. He's in it for the long game, it's just not obvious.

Reasonable? A street hustler that does murder for hire contracts, armed robberies and steals cars takes not getting paid for the work on the chin because he's a nice guy? Please...

Marleyman

Banned
It is pretty obvious from the GI issue that properties weren't in the game, along with some other features. They added them after and subsequently may have suffered from not enough attention.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Guards kept killing me :(

Go through the entrance off the main road that goes underneath the base on the left side of the map, get a fast car or bike. Drive straight through the entrance and take the first right then quickly take the first left, there should be a hanger in front of you. Drive round and straight in and park whatever you are driving just outside of the wing span, run up and get in the plane, the guards shouldn't have caught up with you at this point.

Ideally there will be nothing in front of the hanger, sometimes there might be one of the big ass planes which would make getting out difficult. If there isn't anything you can just accelerate and take off straight out of the hanger without problems. The only thing then is to get rid of the wanted stars.

duckroll

Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I don't like having these big properties to get, it just doesn't seem worth it in the long run besides as you said the ones that give you places to put vehicles.

I would have preferred more properties with a much larger range of cost and profits that you can get across the course of the game, and not what most people seem to be doing which is to hold off till after the game to pick them up. At which point they are mostly pointless for story reasons as they wont make you back anything near what you put into them.

I'm pretty disappointed that properties are about fixed returns. I was really hoping that after buying properties there would be a quest line which increases the profits as you progress, instead of random missions which actually make you earn LESS money if you don't do them, but don't increase your take at all. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The entire economy of this game doesn't really make much sense to me.

I mean, you can buy property and gain a source of income. For what, though? To buy more property to get more money to go into buying more property! Clothes/guns aren't expensive so amassing this huge amount of income actually doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe modded cars would be decent if they fix the whole garage thing as I haven't spent a cent on it as it is.

Reasonable? A street hustler that does murder for hire contracts, armed robberies and steals cars takes not getting paid for the work on the chin because he's a nice guy? Please...

It's more like the people he's working for are so far above them if he did anything he would be eviscerated off the face of the planet within a week.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone else think the military vehicles are weak as shit? I mean my tank seems to get destroyed in seconds and the same with the chopper I can barely get out alive to fly safe with a 4-5 star.

Mr.Green

Game of the forever for me. Well, great game anyway. ;-)

The god damn "lose the cops" mechanic is a little abused as far as I'm concerned. Definitely not my favorite part.

Any tips?

GrayGrey

Neo Member

As a video game character? No. Compared to Michael and Trevor? Yes. He's one of the few characters not caught up by vices.

The god damn "lose the cops" mechanic is a little abused as far as I'm concerned. Definitely not my favorite part.

Any tips?

Staying in alley ways and shadows seems to accelerate the cool down time.

daviyoung

Banned

Any tips?

Hide in alleyways, get out of the car if you want and take cover against a wall. Line of sight works better here than in any other GTA game so take advantage of verticals. Climb a roof and stay out of the police's cones of vision. It takes a while to go, but so long as you stay out of their sight and down roads they're less likely to go down, you'll be fine.

Hip Hop

Any tips?

I hate it and it isn't fun. It takes way too long to lose the cops, and just as soon as you're in the clear, a cruiser randomly appears in front of you. I'd even say this goes backwards from GTA IV. If the "stealth" system even worked for a second, I could see the GTA V system work, but it doesn't.

Dude got 70k for 1 job and is living in a ritzy house. I'm sure he sees the benefit of what he's doing compared to repossessing cars.

daviyoung

Banned
Dude got 70k for 1 job and is living in a ritzy house. I'm sure he sees the benefit of what he's doing compared to repossessing cars.

He lives the pop hip-hop dream in that house but has no-one to share it with and that's what he needs the most. It's a sad parable, the tragic life of Franklin.

duckroll

Any tips?

Hide in bushes.

He lives the pop hip-hop dream in that house but has no-one to share it with and that's what he needs the most. It's a sad parable, the tragic life of Franklin.

I dunno about your Franklin, but when my Franklin needs some company he drives up to the lighthouse to put on diapers for creepy sex. >_<

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm pretty disappointed that properties are about fixed returns. I was really hoping that after buying properties there would be a quest line which increases the profits as you progress, instead of random missions which actually make you earn LESS money if you don't do them, but don't increase your take at all. :(

Yup, wasn't it heavily suggested after they delayed GTA5 from its original release that properties were one of the things they were spending that time putting in. Considering how they don't really do anything for the game at all besides some extra storage space from certain ones, I really wouldn't be surprised if they were a last minute addition.

Hopefully the next GTA can expand on everything we have now, and not do a GTA4 in which they take a number of steps back and just take all the extras out.

InertiaXr

Bail Bonds question:
how are you suppose to take the 2nd guy alive? I ran up to him and his crew and they all immediately started shooting at me. If I had a stun gun could I of stunned him and killed the rest, and then trained my rifle on him to take him alive? Thats sort of how I did the first guy, ran up behind him and punched him then trained my rifle on him and he came quietly.

Certinty

5 star wanted level is great BUT it sucks how easy it is to lose them in a tunnel or in the air. Especially the latter.

Andrew.

Banned
I dunno about your Franklin, but when my Franklin needs some company he drives up to the lighthouse to put on diapers for creepy sex. >_<

My Franklin is always coming out of a strip club a bit wasted or chillin happily at his crib:

"Man, snackin already and I aint even high.... "

Top Bottom