• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
HIOrrPT.jpg

Here we have a NOPE lurking in the background.

cdkee

Banned
So last night I had Michael flying a plane and got Trevor into a helicopter. I was messing around trying to see if I could make them crash into each other in the air. One time I switched from Michael to Trevor and Trevor was in his truck instead of the helicopter, 1000 ft above Los Santos...it was alarming, but hilarious seeing him crash.

You dont really have a choice mang.
I mean, they're the fuckin feds. Michael made the choice to become their bitch and hes got to do the work that comes with it.

but everyone else just comes along willy nilly. Was kinda weird for Trevor to agree to the stuff...

but who knows, maybe things change later. Currently at
when Trevor kidnaps that bad dude's wife.

Thangs.

It went up about 36 cents in the last two days but about half an hour ago it was back down to about 1.19.

The stock market is fully working now? Is it connected to persistent trades through the social club or something? Cool if so.

Well, obviously the ones in missions aren't.

Arcteryx

Just realised that when you click the right stick to look behind in a vehicle your character looks up to the rear mirror.

Also Wade's answering machine message is absolutely amazing.

Also when you move icons on your phone you can see the cursor icon moving on the in-game phone too. Tons of tiny little things like that.

antitrop

I've been playing this game all day now, finally got a few days off work. Haven't been able to game this since last week, been jonesing for it hard.

Just finished up the second heist. I'm going to be really sad during the inevitable backlash in a few months when people start calling this a "bad game". Having the gaming experience of my life with this one, it's just non-stop awesome.

Andrew.

Banned
hey bro

uhmmm
where u get dat scuba gear?

You auto equip it when you get out of the mini sub.

I've been playing this game all day now, finally got a few days off work. Haven't been able to game this since last week, been jonesing for it hard.

Just finished up the second heist. I'm going to be really sad during the inevitable backlash in a few months when people start calling this a "bad game". Having the gaming experience of my life with this one, it's just non-stop awesome.

You ain't seen nothin' yet dude XD

neoism

At least it sounds like you'll be able to earn cash quicker online. Also, I was reading that whole passage with the feeling that Rockstar knows their servers are going to die.

I swear this shit is soooooo fucking unexceptionable... they had years to prepare... millions and millions of dollars and they now it will die on launch... Why cant they fucking be prepared WHY

Having the gaming experience of my life with this one, it's just non-stop awesome.
Right there with you.

Social Club says I've tallied 43 hours on this game. That's way beyond obscene levels for me for a game that came out last week.

Thoroughly, completely hooked here, and with every last aspect of the game. Characters, world, activities, the works. Driving fully clicks, movement and shooting is fast becoming second nature, and piloting helicopters like a champ is a goal within reach.

I think that is what matters though. The same happened with Skyrim when people who'd played it for hundreds of hours in a short space of time suddenly got burnt out and then allowed that to negate the fun they had prior.

I'm sure in a couple of years it might feel different, but I certainly won't forget the pure fun I'm having with this at present.

Amazing game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You deserve to get eaten for scuba-diving wearing that sweet leather jacket.

Gotta show the underwater life some style.

hey bro

uhmmm
where u get dat scuba gear?

Some boats seem to just have it. This is specifically for a strangers and freaks mission where this dinghy needs to be used, there's also a sub you can get for buying the docks that always gives it to you.

AeroGod

Anyone else yet to get busted? I'm 85% done and certain I'll reach 100% without getting busted.

Dont do it if you have tons of weapons and ammo. If you get busted they take all your ammo and explosives and body armor if you have it. ALL OF IT. I havnt done the math but if you have tons of ammo stockpiled especially rockets and thrown explosives it might be cheaper to just eat the 5k hospital bill

DukeBobby

Yeah, I don't think there will be a backlash. We might see a few detractors in a LTTP thread, but that's it.

Unless GTA Online turns out to be shit, of course. I can't see that happening, though.

AeroGod

not seeing where this "backlash" will stem from

gtaiv's myriad of issues were low hanging fruit

The heist missions left a lot to be desired IMO. And as good as Trevor is, aside from maybe Lamaar and Lester GTA V features some of the weakest non-playable story character I think the series has seen yet.

Dont do it if you have tons of weapons and ammo. If you get busted they take all your ammo and explosives and body armor if you have it. ALL OF IT. I havnt done the math but if you have tons of ammo stockpiled especially rockets and thrown explosives it might be cheaper to just eat the 5k hospital bill

I learned a long time ago to keep most of my money in stocks so I don't have to eat a $5,000 bill every time I die.

Derrick01

Banned
The stock market is fully working now? Is it connected to persistent trades through the social club or something? Cool if so.

Well, obviously the ones in missions aren't.

The ones on Bawsaq are connected to Rockstar's servers and go up/down depending on what the entire community is doing. I don't think anyone knows what Hawk&Little is though. The description makes them sound like gun manufacturers but as far as I know guns don't have labels on them in this game so we don't know if it goes up if people buy a lot of weapons or not. That particular stock's been bugged since launch since it was at $1 until yesterday. It's only recently it finally started moving.

Wow, investigating the crashed plane in the Alamo sea was disappointing as hell, only found a few loose weapons lying around. Am I missing something or was that actually it?

The heist missions left a lot to be desired IMO. And as good as Trevor is, aside from maybe Lamaar and Lester GTA V features some of the weakest non-playable story character I think the series has seen yet.

thats a hell of a lot more complicated to spell out than "scripted chase missions with no checkpoints, zero sidethings to do, tons of money and nothing to spend it on, niko is a stupid asshole, hey cousin lets go bowling, etc etc."

jett

D-Member
Just finished the game with the feeling that over half of this world went unused. There really is potential for massive amounts of DLC here.

Anyway, I had several issues with the controls in this game, especially the gunplay, but despite that it still was an awesome, wholly enjoyable experience. It's the next-gen sequel to San Andreas everyone always wanted. GTA4 has been erased from the annals of history.

antitrop

Just finished the game with the feeling that over half of this world went unused. There really is potential for massive amounts of DLC here.

Ya, between GTA Online and DLC, I'm sure I will eventually explore all that this map has to offer, even if I don't do it before completing the storyline.

Considering GTA Online and it's content creator I look at GTAV as the largest and most intricate and interactive virtual set ever. Every area can be turned into a deathmatch or race or some other gametype we have yet to realize.

So much content already there in the campaign and side activities and yet so much potential yet.

daviyoung

Banned
Yeh, GTAV really could have done with more of the kerraazzy characters the series is known for. I really like Mary Ann but she's the only one I can think of.

Grisby

Finished this and wanted to write up a few things. The last mission was alright although
my car got stuck on a rock and shot up by police/lost gang when I was driving to the end. So had to do it 3 times.
Ended up pissing me off.

I don't know man. I had some fun for sure but there was a lot of little issues that built up over time. The story wasn't that great and while I did laugh out loud a couple of times most of the core writing just consisted of dudes yelling back and forth. A majority of the characters I didn't really give two shits about. I consder Micheal and Franklin to be the best characters and that was mostly becuase of the mentor/protégé thing. Soloman was alright and there are some good bits with Lamar but then they ruin it later on with him. Enemies that appear early in the story don't get much screen time later on and end up feeling shallow.

I feel like GTA 5 gave me some big open world 'set pieces' that I haven't seen before and a very nicely crafted world. However, getting around often felt more cumbersome than it should of been and even after 30 some hours I was still hitting the wrong buttons. At one point a couple of hours into the game I forgot how to blow up my sticky bombs. Another time the game informed me I could slow my parachute descents down although I had already done a few and it never said anything to me.

The heists were enjoyable for the most part, although it was a little too scripted for my tastes in some areas (wanted to use a certain car as a getaway but you can't). Man, I wish the game would have been more of those with some better open ended planning. These missions are some of the best stuff in the game. They manage to feel crazy in a more grounded way than something like Saints Row and add some really good tension (although there are not a lot of fail states and a lot of your money/reward is dictated by the story which is annoying in itself).

There are some real highs in this game but it can easily hit you with real lows too. It's the first GTA I've finished since the original so I guess that's saying something. I hope GTA online works out because I would much much rather explore the world with my own dude, upgrading his cars/guns. Overall, I think GTA 5 was a solid experience although Rockstar could definitely take some notes from other open-world games and look outside of their bubble once in a while.

Random breakdown of some thoughts:
-The world is gorgeous. Quite possibly one of the most inviting areas in open world gaming. All of the little touches (seen in the other GAF thread) are fantastic and really make it feel like the most expensive video game ever made.
-However, while the mechanics allow for some fun shootout experiences the actual shooting mechanics never rose above average for me. I had to switch to the more handy soft lock-on because there were so many guys and they were so far away that I couldn't tell if my tiny white dot was hitting them.
-The driving physic's can be fun but when I needed precision I often ran into some more frustrating moments. This goes double for the helicopter/airplane and that one mission where you have to hook up a damn sub had me raging at my TV.
-I kind of wish they would have Incorporated the crew members into the story and gave them unique quests/storylines. I want to hear about the hacker lady, not Trevor threating Floyd for the umpteenth time.

antitrop

They need to get a professional film-level script writer in for GTA VI to flesh the plot out.

For GTA V, even though I haven't completed it, yet, after about 20 hours it becomes pretty obvious that the story won't "pay off", in typical GTA fashion. There's never any "big picture" in these games, it's always about the individual story beats and the interesting characters. But it doesn't come together.

I would like GTA VI to come together. Let Houser write his wild and zany characters, that's fine. But have someone else tie everything up into a respectable overall story. The GTA games get by on their characters alone and I'd like to see the next game be a little more ambitious with the plot.

I never understood this series until someone mentioned that it's a parody of American culture. Once I read that my eyes are open.

It's pretty funny and fun once you see the game that way.

Certinty

Got to say, I think the game has the best supporting characters I have ever seen in a game. I mean Wade and Lamar alone are just pure awesome.

antitrop

I never understood this series until someone mentioned that it's a parody of American culture. Once I read that my eyes are open.

It's pretty funny and fun once you see the game that way.
[Grand Theft Auto III]
"I'm a marketing manager who lives in the suburbs and commutes to work on the highway. I live alone, so of course I needed a car that can seat 12 and is equipped to drive across arctic tundra... it just makes me feel better!"

"The new Maibatsu Monstrosity. Mine's bigger!"

I don't know man. I had some fun for sure but there was a lot of little issues that built up over time. The story wasn't that great and while I did laugh out loud a couple of times most of the core writing just consisted of dudes yelling back and forth. A majority of the characters I didn't really give two shits about. I consder Micheal and Franklin to be the best characters and that was mostly becuase of the mentor/protégé thing. Soloman was alright and there are some good bits with Lamar but then they ruin it later on with him. Enemies that appear early in the story don't get much screen time later on and end up feeling shallow.

The heists were enjoyable for the most part, although it was a little too scripted for my tastes in some areas (wanted to use a certain car as a getaway but you can't). Man, I wish the game would have been more of those with some better open ended planning. These missions are some of the best stuff in the game. They manage to feel crazy in a more grounded way than something like Saints Row and add some really good tension (although there are not a lot of fail states and a lot of your money/reward is dictated by the story which is annoying in itself).

Yeah I haven't finished the game yet but these are pretty much the issues i have with it so far.

At the same time i'm still having a lot of fun with it, i dunno.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With all the cool side-stuff there is to do in this game (and disregarding the bummer that you get absolutely no reward for doing most of it), it's disappointing to me that there seems to be nothing for planes and helicopters. Yeah, there's the flight school and the few arms trafficking missions, but that's it as far as I know. Couldn't they have thrown in something like "air taxi" missions or whatever? Picking rick people up with a helicopter and dropping them off at various places. That could have been hours of fun. Now the helicopters are just there. They are a fun means of transportation for sure, but there's nothing to actually use them for beyond getting from point A to point B.

antitrop

America's Next Top Hooker
[Grand Theft Auto III]
"America is hooked on Liberty City Survivor!"

"We took 20 recently paroled guys...equipped with grenade launchers and flamethrowers"

"I was grabbing a sandwich at the Happy Blimp, and all of a sudden, these guys crashed through the window and started shooting at each other. I was so excited, I didn't even notice I've been hit! After that I was hooked on Liberty City Survivor. I watch it every day in the hospital!"

Grisby

You know, one of my favorite moments in the game was a random 'get the purse back' for a lady deal. Two guys were getting away on a bike and I popped their tires causing them to flip over. One of them dies but the other starts shooting and just as I'm about to pull out my gun, BAM, out of nowhere a freaking bus hits him all Final Destination style.

Couldn't believe it. His body must have landed 15 feet away. I think that made me laugh more than anything in the game.

Top Bottom