• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Finished the game yesterday! Been fairly quiet in this thread but I guess now that it's safe for me to read all the spoiler tagged posts, I'll pop in more frequently.
My very short impressions: Best world of any GTA yet, not sure anymore whether I think it is better than San Andreas in all the other departments though.
Mainly because of the unused locations and vehicles in the game... I know GTAO will probably make use of all of them, but still... So much potential for story missions involving the prison, more of the rural areas, the fighter jet, the tank, scuba diving.... That and the anti-climatic ending are my only major issues with the game though, so overall I still found the game to be incredibly well done

Now I will explore a bit more of the world and do some side stuff till Online hits! Can't believe I haven't been diving yet and have only done one of the hunting missions (I really looked forward to that before release, but there's so much stuff in this game that I got distracted :D)

pringles

yeah I agree with franklin being a terrible character. totally useless. Trevor is the best character the series has seen though

edit: frank not mike
Without Frank the story would really suffer imo and be closer to GTA IV as Mike and Trevor would just constantly scream and curse at eachother. Franklin adds a bit more of a likeable and down-to-earth element and I use him as a my 'main' character most of the time. Imo Mike is the best written of the 3 though, but the impact of his story would have been much greater if his family wasn't a bunch of unlikeable caricatures. Rockstar shouldn't always put the satire ahead of a good story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Back from my ban, not being able to post about GTA is possibly the worst punishment I've ever endured..

So yeah, I thought it was great. Took a week off work to play it, completed the story by the sunday at around 50 hours of play. IMO, it's easily the best GTA and wins my GOTY hands down, I don't even see how another game could win it now, and I loved TLOU. For me, the use of the characters was just perfect - far from the ludonarrative wossname of GTA4, I loved how each character was internally consistent and led me to role-play far more than I ever had. I can count my rampages as michael on one hand. Franklin is my small time gangsta, always knocking over gas stations and tearing away in a souped up Infernus. And Trevor is Trevor.

Loved how they interacted during the story, I felt it was the first GTA with actual drama, the effect of multiple characters with strong motivations coming into conflict. I don't know why, but I always got the warm fuzzies whenever Michael and Franklin would fistbump when they would meet in cutscenes, I thought it was a nice touch.

Trevor though, Trevor was interesting. By the end of the game I was very conflicted about him. His intro is obviously controversial (but I really dig it and the implied 'fuck you' to the GTA4 era) but through the story he's played mainly for laughs, the lovable psycho. But it really changed for me when (~75% story completion)
he kills Wade and his girlfriend. That scene started off funny and then got darker by degrees. When it cut to him leaving the apartment covered in blood, it actually upset me. Those characters were a couple of the only innocents in the game, it was a brutal reminder that Trevor is not a nice man at all, and added some vital edge to his beef with Michael. And then for me, the next cutscene I watched was the one where he threatens Franklin, it was so cold. But, also some very good storytelling, they recontextualised how I viewed that character, and the story was stronger for it.

Still, the game is not without its niggles. The stock market situation at launch was a massive bummer and is giving me the urge to just replay the whole game again (luckily I enjoyed the shit out of it, and this is not a daunting prospect). The police are also much much harder in this game than in 4, I'm finding my rampages cut short before I even get started. IMO, it would be a lot better if the police parked up a little closer when they come in for the attack, and if they maybe did 25% less damage. I like the combat itself, but I feel whenever I get started I get cut down before I can get in the car and start the chase. Also, the game falls into the TPS trap of just ending up with you shooting at lots of tiny, far away people. I don't know if there's any real way to fix that though, it's a result of the massive scale and the FOV I guess.

The biggest disappointment for me is the sub though. Like a lot of folks, I've been intrigued by the Alamo Sea and want to explore it. So I buy a cargobob for $2.2mil (tested it out dropping some cars on people, that is going to be HILARIOUS in multiplayer). I fly it over to the dock with the sub that I bought. Carefully lower the winch. Attach. Get some lift. And then the motherfucking game glitches out and the sub starts trying to flip my heli, and eventually does, the two of them in some physically impossible tug of war, like the cat with the toast stuck to its back. I guess the sub has some kind of physical rule to it that makes sense in water but doesn't work so well in the air. Booo. And it seems that the boats on the Alamo Sea don't equip you with the scuba gear. Hmmm.

Anyway, I'm seeing lots of very dumb questions in this thread. Glad I'm back, I'll try to help.

venom2124

I had a pretty cool random moment last. I'm driving through some farmland at night in my souped up charger when I get the screen flash for a random encounter. I pull into a dark farm and all I hear is a car horn blaring. There's a sheriff's cruiser smashed into a tree and the officer is dead on the wheel. This guy pops up and starts screaming for my help. I thought about helping him but the situation was way too sketchy. I headshot him and made my way for the mission. No half measures.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I had a pretty cool random moment last. I'm driving through some farmland at night in my souped up charger when I get the screen flash for a random encounter. I pull into a dark farm and all I hear is a car horn blaring. There's a sheriff's cruiser smashed into a tree and the officer is dead on the wheel. This guy pops up and starts screaming for my help. I thought about helping him but the situation was way too sketchy. I headshot him and made my way for the mission. No half measures.

lmao you paranoid bastid. I picked that guy up, he was funny. He was basically another GTA player.

RaikuHebi

Banned
All I've got left to do are the collectibles, except Under The Bridge which is done.

Contemplating whether to do it without a guide or not. I'll probably cave. What about my fellow Gaffers?

StuBurns

Banned
I found forty something of the letter scraps, then I saved because I had to leave for a couple of hours, when I loaded it, I was one short. Horrific.

My HAWK and Little investments are nothing. I put in like $5000 when I started.

Although, to be fair, that's more money than the last 15 minutes I've done

Muffdraul

Man I suck at aiming with a PS3 Controller.

Yeah, I got both versions and played through it on 360 first. Then I started the PS3 version, goddamn it feels different on the DS3 analog sticks. I got used to it pretty quick, but it was unusually jarring. I often play cross-platform games on both, but this might be the first time where I did them so close together, back to back.

Defyler

Started first time last night. Sunk in three hours which seemed to go by in a flash. Really enjoyed it and was nearly impossible to get off to head to bed.

So many missions without any sort of reward. It's becoming a bit annoying.
It's my biggest irritation with the game. Give me something for my efforts for heaven's sake, if not money than clothes or cars or properties. Before the heist I did last night, I swear it's been a full 4 or 5 nights of me playing this game without getting anything significant.

Darklord

Banned
Why did they take wounding out? I remember in RDR if you shot someone in the leg they'd limp. If I shoot someone in the leg in GTA5 they die.

StuBurns

Banned
It's really irritating me how buggy this game seems to be. I can't finish the Epsilon missions because Marie won't email me, I can't do the street races because they don't appear, I can't get all fifty letter scraps.

It's hard to complain because there is still so much content in the game, but it's very frustrating. It's like it's punishing me for wanting to play more of it.

sangreal

I really hate how pointless the property missions are. I'd like to see them have some kind of effect on the world, like how Roman's taxi service ends up a high-end car service in gta4

tranciful

It's really irritating me how buggy this game seems to be. I can't finish the Epsilon missions because Marie won't email me, I can't do the street races because they don't appear, I can't get all fifty letter scraps.

It's hard to complain because there is still so much content in the game, but it's very frustrating. It's like it's punishing me for wanting to play more of it.

Street races are at night only

StuBurns

Banned
Street races are at night only
Indeed they are.

EDIT: To be clear, I mean indeed they're meant to, however, they don't for me, and plenty of other people based on YouTube comments and such. I've waited at the airport all night twice with Franklin waiting for them to appear, but to no avail. Also, there are off-road races which you can only do in the evenings (the quarry one), and it's icon is always on the map, it just tells you to come back later.

DukeBobby

Michael - 26%
Franklin - 37%
Trevor - 37%

Franklin is my least favourite character to play as, but I've been using him to find collectibles.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why do I die when I skydive from a helicopter and land in water...?

Top Bottom