• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

KingGondo

Banned
OMG, the first mission that you get to use all three main characters
the mole extraction from the skyscraper using the chopper, rappeling, and the sniper rifle
is an absolute blast.

This game is exceeding my most optimistic expectations.

Trigger

Playing as Trevor is a blast. He's an asshole, but funny. It's like someone imported Tommy Vercetti or some GTA 3 era character into next gen.

KingGondo

Banned
Playing as Trevor is a blast. He's an asshole, but funny. It's like someone imported Tommy Vercetti or some GTA 3 era character into next gen.
I really like how the different characters encourage you to act differently in the game world, too. I do some pretty reprehensible shit playing as Trevor that I'd never do as Michael.

The conversation between Michael and Trevor about

(Banter Spoilers)
Trevor being the proto-hipster was the funniest shit ever. It felt like this weird, meta conversation that was taken directly from a drunken internal debate at Rockstar

I abhor country music, but there are so many "listenable" country songs on that station that fit the vibe of the game perfectly.

I always have to put on "Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way" and "Convoy", and Johnny Cash, of course.

Last night I decked Franklin out in a full grey suit, got the full 'fro cut, thick full beard, jacked an 18 wheeler hauling lumber, and rolled over cop cars while listening to Convoy. Good times.

Man, bikes really really shine in this game. You get speed, visibility, and you're so damn nimble that you open up a world of possibilities for escape routes. I'm talking the thin alleyways and even stairs. Not to mention its easier to maintain control from the huge jumps.

Spend the end of last night just exploring the canalway and underground tunnels. There's a whole world down there, and that's besides the complete subway tunnels, which are also a blast to scream down in a bike.

All this exploration makes me feel like a location scout - since that's half of what I'm doing. Picking out spots that could make for interesting races or deathmatches once the content creator drops.

newsguy

Man, bikes really really shine in this game. You get speed, visibility, and you're so damn nimble that you open up a world of possibilities for escape routes. I'm talking the thin alleyways and even stairs. Not to mention its easier to maintain control from the huge jumps.

Spend the end of last night just exploring the canalway and underground tunnels. There's a whole world down there, and that's besides the complete subway tunnels, which are also a blast to scream down in a bike.

All this exploration makes me feel like a location scout - since that's half of what I'm doing. Picking out spots that could make for interesting races or deathmatches once the content creator drops.

You can thank The Lost and Damned for how fun bikes are in 5. They were pretty nerfed in 4 and TLAD revamped them and made them fun.

Kiraly

Bought a car online, received text that I had received it, nowhere to be found. Not in Trevor's garage at home, nor his garage box in the city.

Fuck this game.

We're sending our love down the well...

Anyway after many deaths involving attempting to steal a parked car in the middle of a police chase only for the police to shoot me through the window before the car even starts, I've come up with an idea for a new gameplay mechanic for GTA 6. The ability to duck when in a car. Assign this to the left d-pad. Detonating sticky bombs can easily be assigned to something else. Just tap the button to toggle ducking on and off. While ducking no shots at your car will hit you. Here's the catch. When ducking the camera changes to a first person view. You'll see exactly what your character sees. The inside of your car. You'll be able to see basically nothing of what's outside your car, just as you would if you ducked inside your car in real life.

So the benefit of using this feature is that you can't hurt from gunshots at your car. Situations such as starting a parked car would be less frustrating and if you're being overwhelmed with gunfire this is a good option to have, but at the same time this isn't something you'll be able to abuse because the camera angle will make it hard for you to see where you're going.

This feature also has obvious benefits when it comes to stealth and hiding from the cops. Got a wanted level? Get out of their line of sight and get in a parked car without the police seeing you. Duck so nobody can see you and watch the police just drive right past. It provides better hiding opporunities. It also gives the opportunity to add another dynamic when it comes to how the police search. Be careful about how smartly you use this feature, because police are capable of walking up to a car and taking a little look inside to see if you're hiding there. Maybe they won't do this every time and they've got their typical search radius, so there's benefits to using this feature but if you're too obvious about the car you're hiding in then you can be found.

Also this feature just has some random fun opprtunities. It's essentially a blind driving mode and I'd imagine it would be very fun to just attempt to drive around with this camera angle and see what happens. I can see lots of hilarious moments coming from messing around with this feature.

So yeah, what do you guys think about this feature?

You're the guy! :)

That's actually a really good idea and makes a lot of sense, it's something you see in almost every action movie, the main character ducking behind the wheel to avoid being shot.

A modification to make you driving poorly could work too, if it's too jarring for the camera to zoom into a first person view.

DukeSucks

If you can find a helicopter and fly above the desert area you should spot it very easily. It's a good tactic to follow with most of Trevor's bail bonds missions. You could also just look on the map that came in the box, the quarry's road network is very easy to spot.

That worked great, I was actually already pretty close, lol

Dyno

Having three playable characters that you can hop to at will is pretty genius and I bet you we are going to see this in all the open world games moving forward. I think this is as big a revolution as adding perks and loadouts to MP FPS was when COD4 came out.

It's great on missions because you get to do everything in a plausable way. It's amazing during downtime because you can take a character anywhere you want and don't have to worry about how he gets home.

It's amazing for keeping you in the action.

You need to use the hook for the cargo heli.

I know but you can only hook one item at a time. The whole idea it's about transporting multiple cars. Imagine putting two cars in the cargo bay then hooking up another car. That's 3 cars at once then fly up to Blaine county as Franklin mid your cars, then load them up and fly back to downtown ls.

so you know there is that free assault rifle you can get from the top right of the gunshop? where is that from? Social club exclusive?

btw: what is y'alls firearm of choice? Seems like all guns are pretty OP, so you can't really go wrong with any, so you go with what fits your style ;)

My favorite part of the switching mechanic so far is when (60% through mission spoiler)
Franklin calls Trevor about the O'Neill Bros. and next time you switch to Franklin he's chasing them down.

I wish there was more of that type of stuff.

Z..

Is the score available anywhere? I mean the actual score, not the soundtrack. I'm absolutely loving the original compositions...

Atsumi

I'm only about 1/3 through the game, but are there any missable things to achieve 100% or can I plow through the story and THEN work at it?

Trigger

I really like how the different characters encourage you to act differently in the game world, too. I do some pretty reprehensible shit playing as Trevor that I'd never do as Michael.

Definitely. It's also a nice touch to see the other player characters living their life when you switch to them.

Arcteryx

Bought a car online, received text that I had received it, nowhere to be found. Not in Trevor's garage at home, nor his garage box in the city.

Fuck this game.

Try entering and exiting the garage again. I had a similar issue yesterday with a bike I bought: it didn't show up in the garage, but after exiting and re-entering it showed up. If all else fails try making a quick-save and re-buying to see if it works.

Jachaos

NOOOOOO.

I was first during the last triathlon up until a few meters from the finish line, 28 minutes I think of mashing to victory, when at the end my thumb was slipping off the thumbstick just as I was getting to the finish line so I tried to keep it on, it was really tough but I managed to do it but I still got beat by some juiced up fuckers (2 of them) that ran like crazy in the last few seconds. I was button mashing as fast as I could as well, still quite a bit of stamina left so I went Mario Party on it and it still didn't work. I also had the brilliant idea of trying for two shortcuts that didn't work, fell off my bike at one point and pressed the B button to see the Weazel News camera that made me suddenly go in the opposite direction. I'll get it when I try again, I know it, but that's just 30 minutes that went to shit.

NOOOOOO.

I was first during the last triathlon up until a few meters from the finish line, 28 minutes I think of mashing to victory, when at the end my thumb was slipping off the thumbstick just as I was getting to the finish line so I tried to keep it on, it was really tough but I managed to do it but I still got beat by some juiced up fuckers (2 of them) that ran like crazy in the last few seconds. I was button mashing as fast as I could as well, still quite a bit of stamina left so I went Mario Party on it and it still didn't work. I also had the brilliant idea of trying for two shortcuts that didn't work, fell off my bike at one point and pressed the B button to see the Weazel News camera that made me suddenly go in the opposite direction. I'll get it when I try again, I know it, but that's just 30 minutes that went to shit.
Save your fingers - you don't need to mash that much. Just some simple tapping to max out your speed. You don't go faster by tapping faster.

At least, not that I've ever seen.

Jhoan

I did a massive marathon yesterday and beat the game around 5:45AM. Man the credits are long; I was dozing off. The bigger a game is, the longer the credits are. Won't spoil anything but for those that did beat it, I
chose the death wish option and spared Michael and Trevor. What a bad ass if a bit of a cliche ending with the sunset in the view. I thought the third option was pretty satisfying.

I also thought that (major spoiler)
the return to North Yankton mission was pretty cool. Rockstar needs to do an open world game set in a snowy, quiet mid west environment. It would be like Fargo.

As a whole, I enjoyed the game despite its archaic mechanics and bugs; I got stuck in a wall during the mission where (late game spoiler)
Merryweather assaults Michael's house.
I do think that for a game that revels in the fact that its protagonist are violent men, it doesn't execute it all that well; Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 do a better job at it with their melee executions. It's also a shame that guns don't sound that good in this game compared to other R* games but these are really nit picky things.

The heists were all are fantastic and the original score is top notch. It's incredibly tense especially as the crap starts hitting the ceiling. In a sense, the original score's sound track reminded me of several Mass Effect songs. The game is definitely one of the best looking looking games I've played this year with incredible an attention to detail.

I still a have a huge amount of untouched side missions to do such as off-road racing and bounty hunting and max out everyone's stats but I'm really excited for GTA Online now more than ever. I do hope that the
prison gets used for something either online or as part of a DLC.
Now I'm off to the spoiler thread to discuss stuff out in the open but will be lurking in this thread in case I have any side mission questions.

Ambitious

Someone in either this thread or the old one pointed out that there can be a Tonya mission (tow truck) activated by calling her on the phone after it seems you're done doing them. No prompts or anything, it's just in there. That was the one bugging me at least. Thanks GAF.

Son of a.. I actually did call her yesterday, but I didn't feel like doing another of those missions. And I assumed it was a kind of minor sidequest that wasn't counted in the selection wheel. Thanks!

By the way, concerning the (collectibles)
scraps and spaceship parts
: Don't tell me the reward, but is it worth the time collecting all of them?

Hellcrow

Getting very bad pop-ups/inns with the PSN version. Buildings flicker and dissappear and one time I went through a bridge. Very annoying.

The missions are actually getting less interesting in what I'm guessing is the last quarter of the game, it's mostly deteriorated into get this car for
Devin and what dump the FIB dropped on our doorstep
for us to do.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
oh yeah.. reinvested about 2 mil combined into HAL yesterday nearly doubled profit. To sell or not to sell?

Top Bottom