• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Gaz_RB

The missions are actually getting less interesting in what I'm guessing is the last quarter of the game, it's mostly deteriorated into get this car for
Devin and what dump the FIB dropped on our doorstep
for us to do.

You're in the classic open world mid-game slump! Stick with it, the missions get awesome again in a bit.

Ballistik

Pretty cheap, but the best way to get to 5 stars and escape the cops is to ride the train. You keep sniping the helicopters down which in itself is pretty fun.

You can't do the stock manipulation to any stocks that are actually tied to the events in the game, otherwise it'll all balance out with your game. I'm not sure... but Pisswasser has dropped from pretty high to low, so I assumed it might be a Lester mission later.

Gaz_RB

Me too. They're like "catch your breath/downtime" missions for me.

I could see that. I loved all the missions(except for
when you go into the port as Trevor and have to move boxes around. Shoot me.)
, but the high action ones are always more fun for me. Though I like the low moments too, cause they help you to appreciate those high tempo missions a little better.

Gawge

Forgot about this one thing that happened.

When very late in the game,
setting up the Big One (getting the digger)
- I was driving a very large truck. I had to escape the police, but obviously this is difficult in such a large vehicle. I went down to a sort of railway yard next to the viaduct (or whatever it is, the long man-made shallow river through the City). I ploughed my way through to the back, and managed to evade the police.

My only problem was getting out... I got through via a small gap between a couple of parked trains. And it was tight and cluttered at the end. So I had to reverse through a long narrow gap, with lots of obstacles in the way, in a large truck. It wasn't very fun...

I was about to give up, and try the mission again - when I eventually managed to find space for an 84-point-turn. Despite the bed becoming detached several times, I finally managed to get out of there.

Andrew.

Banned

Yeah that was kinda boring and ultimately pretty pointless considering you never once used any of those skills afterwards.

RS4-

I'm up 340m for each character. I still have 3 assassinations to go, still haven't done the Tinkle related one either.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. [Late mission spoiler]
Lamar Down is so far the best and most free "switching" mission. Great dialogue too. The missions just keep getting better and better.

Certinty

, but the high action ones are always more fun for me. Though I like the low moments too, cause they help you to appreciate those high tempo missions a little better.
That was by far the worst mission in the game I thought.

Jhoan

Agreed. It was pretty tedious and boring; one of the worst missions in the game. Thankfully, it's not frustrating. I also found the
Yoga mission
tedious because I failed it countless times than any other mission. I was close to skipping it but I took it like a boss and eventually beat it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You can't do the stock manipulation to any stocks that are actually tied to the events in the game, otherwise it'll all balance out with your game. I'm not sure... but Pisswasser has dropped from pretty high to low, so I assumed it might be a Lester mission later.

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Ultimadrago

Is it me or are cops harder to ditch in this game than GTA IV?

Any general tips? I've simply been looking for alleys and even then it takes what feels like forever for the stars to knock off.

AngryMoth

A first I didn't know why people were complaining about the story in the second half of the game but as it went on I began to see.
I don't find it believable that Trevor didn't kill Michael when he found out he was a rat but I could have lived with it, but they just kept bringing it up every time they were together to the point where it became really grating especially since they never advanced that story any further. At some point Trevor just started to come across as being whiney. Either kill him of get over it, don't just keep trotting out the same jokes and threats over and over again.

Also I did not find it believable that nobody decided to put a bullet in Steve Haynes until (my) ending considering what an asshole he was and how much trouble it would seemingly have saved them. Classic R* problem of protagonist(s) being far too willing to take shit from people, to an extreme degree in this case.

The game has really great, funny writing but the overall story does fall apart a bit.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So I completed the third triathlon with 100 stamina, and during the race it didn't deplete at all. Is that the benefit of 100 stamina, or was that a glitch?

Jhoan

Any general tips? I've simply been looking for alleys and even then it takes what feels like forever for the stars to knock off.

It's much harder and much more tense as a result; you can't just leave the perimeter and expect to make a clean get away because the cops with look around whatever location you fled to (unless you're in an aircraft or a boat).

Alleyways are pretty simple to find. What I typically do when I get a wanted level is get out of the car if I'm near a bunch of buildings with alley ways or tall architecture, jump over walls, run to a crevasse that's outside the cops' cone visions, get into cover, and wait.

You can always set a custom way point on the map, go to it and look for buildings that you can use to bail your car and hide at. It's much harder to invade cops in Blaine County because of the lack of alley ways and tall buildings, but typically, I flee to an off-road mountain area and wait.

EDIT
So I completed the third triathlon with 100 stamina, and during the race it didn't deplete at all. Is that the benefit of 100 stamina, or was that a glitch?
That's not a glitch; your stamina doesn't deplete at all once you have 100 Stamina.

Find a good hiding place, get out of your car and go into stealth mode, or hug a wall where you can't be seen and they'll quit looking for you pretty quickly.

Gaz_RB

Its kinda cheap and I don't really do it anymore because I like the challenge, If you're downtown, follow the tram tracks until you see where it goes underground, and if you're out in the country, follow the train tracks until you get to a tunnel.

Cops have no idea what to do with tunnels in this game... I wish they would tear gas you or something.

Just hide in a bush.

Seriously. This works.

Edit: also I used to have a lot of trouble with the cop cars and SUVs running into me from the front, cause it seemed like no matter how I turned (unless using Frank's special) they would smash into me. I found that slowing down in one direction until they turn/slow down enough, then slamming on the gas in the other direction seems to work like a charm.

Man, bikes really really shine in this game. You get speed, visibility, and you're so damn nimble that you open up a world of possibilities for escape routes. I'm talking the thin alleyways and even stairs. Not to mention its easier to maintain control from the huge jumps.

Spend the end of last night just exploring the canalway and underground tunnels. There's a whole world down there, and that's besides the complete subway tunnels, which are also a blast to scream down in a bike.

All this exploration makes me feel like a location scout - since that's half of what I'm doing. Picking out spots that could make for interesting races or deathmatches once the content creator drops.

Then you bump into a rock or sideswipe a car and die instantly.

Break their line of sight first - jumps and vertical routes work wonders. Otherwise look for alleyways and side-streets or go off-road entirely. Whatever it takes to break their direct line of sight.

Once you've gotten out of line of sight the stars will blink. Now you want to look at the mini-map and see how many cars are searching, and where they're heading. You're looking to avoid their sight cones entirely, preferably finding a direction they aren't covering at all. Otherwise just look to avoid their sight cones.

Even within the sight cones they still need to have direct line of sight to get you, so if you find a nice tunnel to stop your car in while they look around, that works too.

Besides that, changing cars when out of sight helps, as well as going to the auto customs shops.

Then you bump into a rock or sideswipe a car and die instantly.
With armor you can take some serious hits. But yeah, its risk vs reward :)

If you can, as soon as you pick up 1 star just get out of the general area of where the crime took place. 2 or 3 blocks away. If you get a star without ever actually having been seen by the police it seems, to me at least, that you lose the star more quickly. Also try to use line of sight to your advantage, hid behind buildings, climb to roof tops,etc. Use tunnels to ditch when you have a lot of stars, or hid in bushes if you can find one.

Jhoan

For you guys that beat it

"The big one"
subtle or obvious?
Which pays more?

Spoiler tag obviously

I went with subtle across all missions including this one and
didn't get a huge cut of the money for my trio; most of the money ($126,000,000) went to my crew since I used top tier members e.g. Paige, Gustav, Chef, the Asian dude for the first car, and a low tier 8% driver for the second car. Only got anywhere from 100K (Trevor), to 400K (Michael) for my characters.

Ultimately it depends on the crew members that you use if you want a big pay off; if you trained your low tier characters with low cut percentage and they survived, then you're going to get a massive pay off.

AkuMifune

Banned
30 minute triathlon? What the fuck?

I was halfway through last night at 2am and just turned the console off. I can justify a lot of dumb gaming, but running virtual marathons when I need to sleep for work is my limit.

But it's the first thing I'll do tonight. ;)

mazillion

I simultaneously set a person best for highest speed on land vehicle and longest distance without crashing. 228mph 11.4 miles. I could do better though. I was going over 200 mph the whole time in a fully modded feltzer. So much fun. Can't wait for races

MYeager

A first I didn't know why people were complaining about the story in the second half of the game but as it went on I began to see.
I don't find it believable that Trevor didn't kill Michael when he found out he was a rat but I could have lived with it, but they just kept bringing it up every time they were together to the point where it became really grating especially since they never advanced that story any further. At some point Trevor just started to come across as being whiney. Either kill him of get over it, don't just keep trotting out the same jokes and threats over and over again.

Also I did not find it believable that nobody decided to put a bullet in Steve Haynes until (my) ending considering what an asshole he was and how much trouble it would seemingly have saved them. Classic R* problem of protagonist(s) being far too willing to take shit from people, to an extreme degree in this case.

The game has really great, funny writing but the overall story does fall apart a bit.

For the love of god don't anyone click this if they haven't finished the game.

Trevor considered Michael to be like a brother to him and Michael was one of the few people in his life to be nice to him and to think he had potential. Aside from Michael he doesn't really have friends, he has subordinates. When he find out that Michael betrayed him and inadvertently caused the death of another friend he wants to kill Michael, but if he does then who does he have left in his life aside from Ron and Wade? He can't bring himself to kill someone he also cares about.

The moment in the graveyard both dare each other to shoot, Michael feels like he deserves it and Trevor feels like he has nothing left. Neither man can pull the trigger. Is Trevor whiny after that? Kind of, but it's the first time in the game where Trevor wants to act but also can't bring himself to actually do it. He can't get over it, but he can't just walk away either. What he can't do is continue to fuck with Michael about it.

As far as Haines, he's a crooked government agent that knows Michael's real identity and can destroy the life he's built in the last ten years and can easily ruin the lives of the other characters, and has shown a willingness to not give a damn. The characters know they're being used, hate it, and at different points try to take away the leverage he has. Which is an improvement over past GTA games where the character puts up with it for no reason.

MYeager

I went with subtle across all missions including this one and
didn't get a huge cut of the money for my trio; most of the money ($126,000,000) went to my crew since I used top tier members e.g. Paige, Gustav, Chef, the Asian dude for the first car, and a low tier 8% driver for the second car. Only got anywhere from 100K (Trevor), to 400K (Michael) for my characters.

Ultimately it depends on the crew members that you use if you want a big pay off; if you trained your low tier characters with low cut percentage and they survived, then you're going to get a massive pay off.

I did the obvious way and
made over 200 mil, after crew and Lester's cut each character got about 30 million

Ultimadrago

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

On another note, I laughed at Micheal and Frank mocking the Russian woman's "Dead man!" line. I'm digging the general banter quite a bit thus far.

Andrew.

Banned
For the love of god don't anyone click this if they haven't finished the game.

The moment in the graveyard both dare each other to shoot, Michael feels like he deserves it and Trevor feels like he has nothing left. Neither man can pull the trigger. Is Trevor whiny after that? Kind of, but it's the first time in the game where Trevor wants to act but also can't bring himself to actually do it. He can't get over it, but he can't just walk away either. What he can't do is continue to fuck with Michael about it.

The other important scene involving T is when he visits Franklin
and trips over the white fence. F's reaction and then Trevors reaction, followed by Franklin being honest and breaking things down for him really struck a chord with me. You then see Trevor for a split second have some fun fucking with him (he actually laughs after making F flinch) and then it's like you see him literally going to war against some personal demons "Nooooo Im not funny..." *looks up at Franklin* "I had.....a messed up childhood" (or something along those lines).

Theres a few key scenes involving him where you can see, under all of his psychologiocal and emotional detritus, that there really is a caring, somewhat normal human being in there that desperatley wants to get out but doesnt know how to.

InertiaXr

Forgetting the BAWSAQ for now, does the off-line LCN even seem to work for people, besides the Lester missions? I have issues where the stock price will be say $29.20, but the chart seems to indicate it should be $76. I thought that maybe the chart is a few 'ticks' behind so that could still make sense if the stock had just tanked in the past day or so, but then I tried to save/advance time for almost 2 weeks in-game and the chart kept showing the stock jumping from 70+ down to sub 30, then up again over and over and not once when I checked the market it was anything but under $30. I could understand that if I advanced the time just 4-5 times, but doing it 30+ and not ONCE getting the price at anything except the very lowest point according to the chart? Hopefully there is some sort of stock market fix in the inevitable patch for the online stuff.

MYeager

Forgetting the BAWSAQ for now, does the off-line LCN even seem to work for people, besides the Lester missions? I have issues where the stock price will be say $29.20, but the chart seems to indicate it should be $76. I thought that maybe the chart is a few 'ticks' behind so that could still make sense if the stock had just tanked in the past day or so, but then I tried to save/advance time for almost 2 weeks in-game and the chart kept showing the stock jumping from 70+ down to sub 30, then up again over and over and not once when I checked the market it was anything but under $30. I could understand that if I advanced the time just 4-5 times, but doing it 30+ and not ONCE getting the price at anything except the very lowest point according to the chart? Hopefully there is some sort of stock market fix in the inevitable patch for the online stuff.

Yeah, there are times when what's listed on LCN and what is in my portfolio don't appear to match up.

Goldrusher

Achievement32.png

Woohoo.

Did most the bridges with a regular helicopter. Many of them are impossible with a plane anyway.
The knife flights with a stunt plane I bought.

Aranath

I sincerely hope Rockstar patch this damn cars disappearing from your garage glitch. I lost one the other day and three today. I'm not even using the things anymore until they sort this out. It's ridiculous.

Also, why on earth did they remove the thing of people limping after you shoot them in the leg? GTA IV had it and RDR had it. I'm really not seeing any conceivable reason why they would remove it. Chasing people down now is so much more annoying.

Gaz_RB

The other important scene involving T is when he visits Franklin
and trips over the white fence. F's reaction and then Trevors reaction, followed by Franklin being honest and breaking things down for him really struck a chord with me. You then see Trevor for a split second have some fun fucking with him (he actually laughs after making F flinch) and then it's like you see him literally going to war against some personal demons "Nooooo Im not funny..." *looks up at Franklin* "I had.....a messed up childhood" (or something along those lines).

Theres a few key scenes involving him where you can see, under all of his psychologiocal and emotional detritus, that there really is a caring, somewhat normal human being in there that desperatley wants to get out but doesnt know how to.

Completely agree. The more you get to know Trevor, the more you love him.

Especially when you see him shirtless and see his RIP Michael tattoo. Also, hanging out with Trevor as Michael after the story is finished has a lot of good Trevor stuff too.

Top Bottom