• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

dropbear

Banned
Honestly I think that's a fairly decent satirical portrayal of the current Militarization and trigger-happiness of our police.

Ha, wow.

Is this a GAF first? Questionable mechanics are now part of GTAV's "satire," guys.

Seriously, as much as I am loving this game, the unwillingness to accept valid criticism is hitting an all-time high with this game.

I'm just saying, in what reality would you firing bullets into another car driving at high speeds in the middle of a crowded city not incur the wrath of the police? Video game or not. It would be horribly silly if there was zero reaction. Quit whining and just enjoy the game.

Except I was still in the deep end of the quarry where I don't even think any construction workers hang out. Yeah, crowded city indeed.

And there's plenty of "reaction" for everything you do in this game. Just standing in front of people doing nothing gets a "reaction" and the police are on you. How about shooting guns in the middle of nowhere? Lots of magic police "reaction." This game's all about reaction, except when it comes to your character movement. Good look getting quick reactions there.

Not asking for no reaction, but more leeway. Currently, you can't so much as sneeze without the cops being on your nuts. Also, this isn't real life.
Firing a gun is more than sneezing, and its not like its the only thing you can do when capturing bounties.

While realism isn't the holy grail here, neither is shooting and crashing the end all be all answer for every mission either.

If you want to shoot their tires without getting heat, do it with a suppressed weapon or do it when there aren't witnesses around or wait until you get on side roads.

You have plenty of options.

Firing a gun is more than sneezing, and its not like its the only thing you can do when capturing bounties.

While realism isn't the holy grail here, neither is shooting and crashing the end all be all answer for every mission either.

If you want to shoot their tires without getting heat, do it with a suppressed weapon or do it when there aren't witnesses around or or side roads.

You have plenty of options.

No really, you can just be walking by, and the cops will suddenly come after you. Or stand near a pedestrian, and watch them call the cops on you.

Oh, it's not? Well then pardon me!

You brought up the real life comparison, so yeah, shocking.

StuBurns

Banned
The stunt jumps in this game are such bullshit. Most of them are blind luck if there isn't traffic blocking your landing, horrible.

No really, you can just be walking by, and the cops will suddenly come after you. Or stand near a pedestrian, and watch them call the cops on you.
Hasn't happened to me in my 50 hours of play, so not sure what to say there. I've also fired my weapons quite a bit without getting in trouble, but I do use a mix of suppressed and loud weapons, depending. I'll also wait for the right time to make my more blatant moves.

The only time people have called the cops on me is when I've trespassed on their property, and only after being warned several times. Same with the seedier neighborhoods in the city.

So yeah, at least in my game everything has made perfect sense as far as cop reactions go.

It hasn't happened to you, therefore it can't be true. I've walked up to a cop standing on the street, stood there for a few seconds, and then had him draw his gun and try to arrest me.
You get up in their personal space and they will warn you, just like other NPCs. If you stand there and ignore their warnings, well OK, they follow through with em. Not seeing the problem here.

It hasn't happened to you, therefore it can't be true. I've walked up to a cop standing on the street, stood there for a few seconds, and then had him draw his gun and try to arrest me.

The dude in Vinewood playing his guitar on the sidewalk called the cops on me because the game decided I walked too close to him, and "bumped" him, though I was nowhere close, so he goes into a panicked state and calls the cops on me.

All because I was trying to listen to him sing.

I shot him of course. He wanted a reason to get the police, so I gave him one.

Gaz_RB

Ha, wow.

Is this a GAF first? Questionable mechanics are now part of GTAV's "satire," guys.

Seriously, as much as I am loving this game, the unwillingness to accept valid criticism is hitting an all-time high with this game.

You don't have to be a dick, it's his interpretation of the mechanic.

Damn.

I'm not saying its not true, but what I am saying is that you might be over exaggerating just a bit.

If you stand near people and they say something like "could you leave me alone" and you don't, they'll call the cops. If it happens with cops, Ballas or The Lost ("get lost!"), they'll start shooting at you. I've had where I've replied to them and my character said something harsh, then they called the cops.

jett

D-Member
What's the transit thing for? I'm in the subway right now but I can't do shit, I'm stuck on the ride man, can't even leave.

Its pretty easy if you drive into the army base super fast. Once you acquire the jet, fly low and you're out of there.

I parachuted my way in, HALO jump style yo. The hard part was evading the surface-to-air missiles.

If it happens with cops, Ballas or The Lost ("get lost!"), they'll start shooting at you. I've had where I've replied to them and my character said something harsh, then they called the cops.
And even then it isn't instant. They slowly and surely break out their guns while making it clear they'll shoot if you don't get the fuck out of dodge. If you stick around, there's trouble to be found, and usually far more than you're ready for.

I've learned this lesson the hard way several times, but am now wise and know which way the wind is blowing.

Overdoziz

Banned
A lot can be said about the lack of reward for a lot of missions, but damn if it doesn't make you want to get the money from the final heist.

And even then it isn't instant. They slowly and surely break out their guns while making it clear they'll shoot if you don't get the fuck out of dodge. If you stick around, there's trouble to be found, and usually far more than you're ready for.

I've learned this lesson the hard way several times, but am now wise and know which way the wind is blowing.

And some people don't like that it happens. I imagine some might not always notice that it's about to happen and considering how quickly you can get killed understand their frustration.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
A lot can be said about the lack of reward for a lot of missions, but damn if it doesn't make you want to get the money from the final heist.

Personally I don't have a problem with the story missions not giving you cash rewards outside of the main heists. I just have a problem with the lack of ways to make extra money once the story is done, and I also have a problem with the lack of rewards in general for all the side stuff you do.

jett

D-Member
Personally I don't have a problem with the story missions not giving you cash rewards outside of the main heists. I just have a problem with the lack of ways to make extra money once the story is done, and I also have a problem with the lack of rewards in general for all the side stuff you do.

You know what kinda sucks about this game? That you can't "discover" missions or events in the world, you are always told where to go to meet new people. Renders exploring kinda useless.

Hip Hop

And some people don't like that it happens. I imagine some might not always notice that it's about to happen and considering how quickly you can get killed understand their frustration.

It happens way too much. I wish it was randomly from here and there, but almost every pedestrian and civilian is like this. You either get shot, or get the cops called on you.

You know what kinda sucks about this game? That you can't "discover" missions or events in the world, you are always told where to go to meet new people. Renders exploring kinda useless.
The random side missions are all discovered, and some of them are more than they seem.

That's my issue with those reactions. It's not that people might react if you berate them or "invade their personal space," but that a few shots put you down before you've even had the chance to react to their reactions. It's ridiculous. The whole game feels designed to coax you into dicking around, but punching you in the balls when you try to.

Hip Hop

That's my issue with those reactions. It's not that people might react if you berate them or "invade their personal space," but that a few shots put you down before you've even had the chance to react to their reactions. It's ridiculous. The whole game feels designed to coax you into dicking around, but punching you in the balls when you try to.

Yup, but don't go pulling out the pistol when your life is in danger, because the cops will be hot on your ass.

The silencer and the knife are also useless. Kill a civilian out in the wild away from everything, the cops will be right there with you too. Everything feels limited in what you can do because of this.

"Free Mode" can't get here soon enough. Well, at least I hope in returns in the form of GTA IV where you can customize how you want the lobby to be.

Wasp

Some businessman wanted a lift to the airport and promised a financial tip in return. I just about made it in time with seconds to spare and he told me to invest in Tinkle. I think he trolled me because I invested every cent I had and it hasn't become profitable at all. :/

AuguryInsurance sure helps to get some fast cash. Invest a couple of million into it. Blow up 5-10 cars on a parking lot, wait 30 seconds and see the stock rise by 4-5%. Rinse and repeat.

I think I got an extra 2-3 million for something so easy.

The silencer and the knife are also useless. Kill a civilian out in the wild away from everything, the cops will be right there with you too. Everything feels limited in what you can do because of this.
This is making me wonder about bugs and glitches, because this has never happened with me. I'll experiment more tonight and see if I can get this to happen.

All of my quiet kills have been just that - quiet. Even in the city when there are no eyes on it.

Aleph

Are you sure? I killed two guys standing next to a river near Mount Chilliad with the silenced pump-shotgun and I didn't get any stars (I checked that there wasn't anyone around first).

Can anyone explain to me how Trevor's helicopter pad works? I landed 2 other choppers on it but only his busted ass graffiti heli ever shows.

Also can you store more than one plane in his hangar?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Can anyone explain to me how Trevor's helicopter pad works? I landed 2 other choppers on it but only his busted ass graffiti heli ever shows.

Also can you store more than one plane in his hangar?
I haven't collected any helis yet, but you just hit left or right on the Dpad while near the helipad and it'll cycle through your copters.

Not sure about planes, but just try the same concept.

The music, the nighttime visuals, the theme, and having Michael dressed in the ash colored suit during the mission "Mr. Richards" was almost exactly the vibe I want from a modern day Vice City GTA sequel.

Certinty

Just finished the game, by far the greatest game i've ever played and it's not even close.

The last few hours of the story alone are absolutely mind blowing, still can't get over how good they were.

Arcteryx

I want more Franklin/Lester assassination missions. Not just for the money, but for the thrill

The first one was so fun:
I sat in the parking garage on my motorcycle and rev'd the engine until he exited, zoomed out, slow-mode shot him in the dome, and then flew up the stairs to his left and onto the street. Soooo much more fun than sniping him in the parking garage

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it! 84%, 18 hours 29 minutes as trevor, 18 hours and 6 minutes as michael, 17 hours 45 as frankin.

Top Bottom