• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Sorian

Banned
Maybe I imagined it, but has anyone noticed you can't buy/carryas much ammo with Franklin as you can with Trevor or Michael? I was able to buy over 2000 rounds for the assault rifle with Michael but was limited to just over 700 with Franklin.

Can each character only carry a certain amount of ammo? If so, can it be increased?

It is dependent on their shooting stat I believe
which makes sense since Franklin's is the lowest to start

protonion

Final mission.

What a lame choice... How could anyone pick anything else than C? I saw the other two endings on youtube and they're even worse that I had imagined. And Franklin of all three should do this? A stupid character that serves no purpose in the whole game gets to choose which of the two awesome characters would die?? Get the fuck out of here!

MAX PAYMENT

Final mission.

What a lame choice... How could anyone pick anything else than C? I saw the other two endings on youtube and they're even worse that I had imagined. And Franklin of all three should do this? A stupid character that serves no purpose in the whole game gets to choose which of the two awesome characters would die?? Get the fuck out of here!

The story shits the bed like 75% through.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yeah, it's ridiculous in this day and age that the nets are still solid walls and there's a lack of consistency with picnic style tables too..

I hadn't seen the previous post before mine, nice to know I'm not the only one who was foolish enough to think it wouldn't be rock hard and destroy my car today, lol.

MAX PAYMENT

Any idea how money works with the multiplayer?
I assume it will be split between 4 characters that each earn their own. But I'd rather it be combined.

Angry Fork

Waiting for the PC version here, just have a couple questions I'm interested in. I've heard the damage to cars is significantly reduced in this one or worse? Is that true? Also what game would you compare the driving physics to? I loved the driving in gta4 so it's disappointing that they changed it back to cartoony sliding around, it's not a deal breaker obviously but I'd like to know how it was changed.

And how has the character movement changed? I hated that in gta4 it felt like you had to hold the analog stick in a direction for 2 seconds before the character moved anywhere, that was way too sluggish and ridiculous to me. Having to wait for animations to happen "fluidly" with real world physics taken into account instead of just doing it instantly. I like the realism with cars but not with character movement.

MAX PAYMENT

Waiting for the PC version here, just have a couple questions I'm interested in. I've heard the damage to cars is significantly reduced in this one or worse? Is that true? Also what game would you compare the driving physics to? I loved the driving in gta4 so it's disappointing that they changed it back to cartoony sliding around, it's not a deal breaker obviously but I'd like to know how it was changed.

And how has the character movement changed? I hated that in gta4 it felt like you had to hold the analog stick in a direction for 2 seconds before the character moved anywhere, that was way too sluggish and ridiculous to me. Having to wait for animations to happen "fluidly" with real world physics taken into account instead of just doing it instantly. I like the realism with cars but not with character movement.
They dropped physics based movement.
I think even when you're crazy drunk it's just a different walking animation rather than physics based flailing.

Hindle

Banned
So whilst on the
second heist
how much of the
flying school do you have to complete before you can proceed?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Any idea how money works with the multiplayer?
I assume it will be split between 4 characters that each earn their own. But I'd rather it be combined.

You're online character will have their own separate money like the three main story characters do, and that has to be earned by doing missions and such like online. GTAO is set before the story too iirc, so none of the events of the game have actually happened in the version of Los Santos you will be playing in.

Came across a random event at a construction site
a truck gets pinned down by debris and you have to clear it witha dump truck before he explodes

Took me awhile to figure out what todo and it was too late. Still a cool event that I haven't seen before.

30 plus hours in and it still surprises me.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Think il keep playing this game for years. It's fucking perfect. I'm no longer a gamer, Just a dude who loves grand theft auto.

dropbear

Banned
Let me preface with the fact that I think this is a great, great game.

That said, the following mission is so incredibly bad when taking into account some of the poor design decisions in modern games:
Bury the Hatchet, when you have to escape the graveyard; the game throws constantly spawning, bullet-sponge enemies at you. It grinds the pace of an extremely intriguing story reveal to a complete halt by re-introducing a group of characters who weren't even clearly enemies up until this point, had rarely been mentioned since the beginning of the game, and who are now pursuing you completely out of the blue with a confusingly bad lack of story context.

Who ever, ever, ever thought this was a good idea?

_dd_

Maybe I imagined it, but has anyone noticed you can't buy/carryas much ammo with Franklin as you can with Trevor or Michael? I was able to buy over 2000 rounds for the assault rifle with Michael but was limited to just over 700 with Franklin.

Can each character only carry a certain amount of ammo? If so, can it be increased?

That may have to do with his shooting stat. Hit up the gun range.

That said, the following mission is so incredibly bad when taking into account some of the poor design decisions in modern games:
Bury the Hatchet, when you have to escape the graveyard; the game throws constantly spawning, bullet-sponge enemies at you.

With Michael's special ability and tons of cover, it's much much easier than Max Payne 3's similar stage, lol. "Stop right there, Trevor's
boyfriend!

Just sold H&L for $780,000 gain. It could have gone up more but all my stocks were in the toilet so I was like whatever and just off-loaded them.

Sorian

Banned

Bury the Hatchet, when you have to escape the graveyard; the game throws constantly spawning, bullet-sponge enemies at you. It grinds the pace of an extremely intriguing story reveal to a complete halt by re-introducing a group of characters who weren't even clearly enemies up until this point, had rarely been mentioned since the beginning of the game, and who are now pursuing you completely out of the blue with a confusingly bad lack of story context.

Well you did get a text when you were heading to the mission site that made it painfully obvious that they were going to show up.

Andrew.

Banned
Lo fucking l at bullet sponges in this game, but then again when you're failing or frustrated at something there's always gotta be some cockamamie excuse.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started playing yesterday, so I only scratched the surface, but I loved
running into pat mc reary from IV at one of the random events.
cool little surprise.

Just watched that surreal spanish/french movie in the theater. Great stuff.

Final mission.

Yep. I finished the game around 2AM this morning and share the disappointment.
Franklin didn't earn the right to have that decision.
It's bad plotting and a byproduct of writing themselves into the corner. And the
other endings are atrocious. Watching them on YouTube makes it seem like they were an afterthought, written rather quickly to give you an "option" just for the sake of it.

I've noticed nothing cartoony with the driving, it's better than IV because you can actually drive straight without spinning out. The top cars are very responsive and you can always mod lesser cars to be responsive. Player movement is amazing and responsive as hell. Huge improvement over IV. Feels more like Max Payne 3 in that regard.

RE: Dropbear's criticism

I'm never a fan of
infinite-spawn enemies
but I liked that mission purely because it allowed you to enjoy the shooting mechanics without draconian police interference.

What I'm not a fan of is a couple of missions later they have you
rescue Michael without letting you be prepared with weapons and body armor.
Same old GTA loadout problems that they failed to address.

I've heard the damage to cars is significantly reduced in this one or worse? Is that true? ?
This was something repeated by dumb people so many times it became a rumor.

The damage effects are significantly better in GTA V only your car doesn't fall apart like paper mache like it did in IV

And how has the character movement changed?
It's infinitely more playable than IV but it still gets pretty annoying in CQC because you have to baby-sit A/X to move faster.

dropbear

Banned
Well you did get a text when you were heading to the mission site that made it painfully obvious that they were going to show up.

This is exactly my point. Up until appearing in hordes in
a huge story reveal
, they were irrelevant aside from random mentions in text messages or e-mails.

Lo fucking l at bullet sponges in this game, but then again when you're failing or frustrated at something there's always gotta be some cockamamie excuse.

I completed the mission the first time through... but I guess when someone criticizes the game you love there always has to be some cockamamie excuse.

Sorian

Banned
This is exactly my point. Up until appearing in hordes in
a huge story reveal
, they were irrelevant aside from random mentions in text messages or e-mails.

I don't follow, you know that Trevor treated them like shit and fucked up their business and while you are
flying to the location, you get a clearly worded text saying that the chinese guys have been hanging out at the airfield and your trailer
I find this to be neither an irrelevant point to the story nor an out-of-left field point to the story. If anything, the only dumb part was how much they focused on
Michael being Trevor's boyfriend, it was good for a laugh but then they had to repeat it 800 times

Also the damage is so good that tires can fall off, axles can bend ,etc. The latter makes it very hard to steer for obvious reasons. The no visible damage rumor was ridiculous.

dropbear

Banned
I don't follow, you know that Trevor treated them like shit and fucked up their business and while you are
flying to the location, you get a clearly worded text saying that the chinese guys have been hanging out at the airfield and your trailer
I find this to be neither an irrelevant point to the story nor an out-of-left field point to the story. If anything, the only dumb part was how much they focused on
Michael being Trevor's boyfriend, it was good for a laugh but then they had to repeat it 800 times

I guess it would be better if what became a huge aspect of a big story mission was more well-integrated than a text message a character receives.

Also, about the enemies being bullet sponges: you can unload 4 pistol rounds into them and they still recover and shoot you while lying down.

Sorian

Banned
Also, about the enemies being bullet sponges: you can unload 4 pistol rounds into them and they still recover and shoot you while lying down.

Weird, in my game, all of those guys took exactly one bullet to be killed.
Aim for the head next time

Had an weird bug happen to me last night, the mission involving Trevor, a dirt bike, and a train.

So, I make the jump onto the train the first try, start driving down and looking for the engine, and after a few seconds I think, "Well, that looks like it, but why is it coming towards me?" Suddenly I'm knocked off the train, mission failed.

Restart the checkpoint, try it again, and then I get a better look: apparently Rockstar forgot to code into this mission that there shouldn't be any other trains on the tracks, because there was another train going THROUGH the mission train, in the opposite direction, and I was getting knocked off by the engine of the train ghosting through the train I was driving on.

Was beginning to worry I was going to have to quit the mission, because every time I restarted the checkpoint, it happened again. But after a few times, I guess the other train had finally passed, and I was finally able to get to the end of the train sequence... where it had a head-on collision with another train. :)

I don't have any ones in mind off the top of my head but I think they were trying to play the "surprise attack" card. It's in numerous gangster type movies, usually killing the protagonist or main love interest/well liked character.

I'm not sure it bothers me but at the same time they could have cut out the car boosting missions or adrenaline junkie missions and beefed up the banter a bit.

I'm 75% though and going to write a review next week if anyone is interested. If only to solidify my thoughts.
I like GTA IV better

Andrew.

Banned

Thats why you aim for the head. And different guns do different damage. A regular pistol might put someone down in 4 shots to the chest (thought Ive never witnessed that) but a combat pistol takes less. The advanced rifle does mostly one hit kills.

And a shotgun will always take someone down with one direct hit. Same goes for the sniper rifle.

waypoetic

Banned
Just finished the story and sat through the credits! I do love this game, i'm fucking addicted to it. Thank you Rockstar! Best GTA game ever imo.

#goty #5OutOf5

Sorian

Banned
Thats why you aim for the head. And different guns do different damage. A regular pistol might put someone down in 4 shots to the chest (thought Ive never witnessed that) but a combat pistol takes less. The advanced rifle does mostly one hit kills.

And a shotgun will always take someone down with one direct hit. Same goes for the sniper rifle.

Look at the mission he is talking about. There is a reason he said pistol.

Draconian

Setting a waypoint is awful in this game. I'm really tired of getting near where I want to go and then all of a sudden being redirected down some highway or street that doesn't lead there at all. Quite frankly, the whole map system in this game should've been completely overhauled.

Andrew.

Banned
Look at the mission he is talking about. There is a reason he said pistol.

I know what mission he's talking about, Sor =P Michaels ability should be used to the full advantage there and with it, its incredibly easy to score headshots. Also, the pistol is pretty much instantly replaced with a better gun during that fight if you're mobile and concerned about "spongey enemies".

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Setting a waypoint is awful in this game. I'm really tired of getting near where I want to go and then all of a sudden being redirected down some highway or street that doesn't lead there at all. Quite frankly, the whole map system in this game should've been completely overhauled.

Set a waypoint and drive however you want to it, that's what I do, at least. I don't think the GPS has led my astray when I did use it, though.

dreamfall

Just finished the story and sat through the credits! I do love this game, i'm fucking addicted to it. Thank you Rockstar! Best GTA game ever imo.

#goty #5OutOf5

After 70ish hours, I finally beat it as well!

I feel like I can come back to the thread to comment on it- but I loved it, even though I felt as though the [Last Mission Spoiler]
was way too rushed! Of course I choose the Deathwish- Option C, as I loved the dynamics of the entire crew together. To take out four targets so easily in one mission felt liberating but also illogically paced. All those guys had made each character's life much more difficult, so the fact that they helped clean each other's messes up was awesome. But I think it should've been broken up a bit!

I loved every second of it- I wish we'd have more heists to plan and execute. My crew was so damn good!

Here's to a slow, methodical progression to achieving 100% and savoring every second in Los Santos. Oh, and the [Last Mission Achievement Spoiler]
"To Live and Die in Los Santos" was so fucking boss. I kept wanting to hear Pac's "To Live and Die in L.A." on Radio Los Santos!

finally!!

Here is my all GTA stuff and collection in one unboxing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCMcVRKhig&feature=youtu.be

or

http://youtu.be/hkCMcVRKhig

edit: photo of the collection
1264441_10153287666340290_413706164_o.jpg

Sorian

Banned
I know what mission he's talking about, Sor =P Michaels ability should be used to the full advantage there and with it, its incredibly easy to score headshots. Also, the pistol is pretty much instantly replaced with a better gun during that fight if you're mobile and concerned about "spongey enemies".

Agreed, I was doing head shots left and right
mostly right though because I didn't care about "spongy" enemies, it was obvious that you just needed to cut a swatch back to the car to complete the scenario :p I thought about using an AR that I picked up but the scenario was fine pistol only IMO

Andrew.

Banned
Here's to a slow, methodical progression to achieving 100% and savoring every second in Los Santos. Oh, and the [Last Mission Achievement Spoiler]
"To Live and Die in Los Santos" was so fucking boss. I kept wanting to hear Pac's "To Live and Die in L.A." on Radio Los Santos!

I assumed it was more an ode to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090180/

Which is a fucking amazing film, has ties to the GTA series and features one of the best car chase sequences of all time.

Top Bottom