• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

I've thought quite a bit about how the story approaches women, and I think really it's just an extension of the juvenile and lazy satire present.

The game has occasional throw away lines or outlying characters which have positive things to say about females or homosexuality, and there's some moments that really work and are absolutely hilarious, so I don't think it's fair to write the whole package off as Bro-paganda.

However, a larger portion of the game - most especially anything having to do with relationships, mental health, branding, advertisements - is otherwise filled with jokes and attitudes that seem like what a 15 year old who just discovered Reddit and who cites The Hangover Part 2 as his favorite movie thinks is what it is like to be an adult.

The game just seems to more fully embrace adolescent misanthropy than misogyny.

Sorian

Banned
I've thought quite a bit about how the story approaches women, and I think really it's just an extension of the juvenile and lazy satire present.

The game has occasional throw away lines or outlying characters which have positive things to say about females or homosexuality, and there's some moments that really work and are absolutely hilarious, so I don't think it's fair to write the whole package off as Bro-paganda.

However, a larger portion of the game - most especially anything having to do with relationships, mental health, branding, advertisements - is otherwise filled with jokes and attitudes that seem like what a 15 year old who just discovered Reddit and who cites The Hangover Part 2 as his favorite movie thinks is what it is like to be an adult.

The game just seems to more fully embrace adolescent misanthropy than misogyny.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's GTA and that is the type of satire they go for.

Andrew.

Banned
Agreed, I was doing head shots left and right
mostly right though because I didn't care about "spongy" enemies, it was obvious that you just needed to cut a swatch back to the car to complete the scenario :p I thought about using an AR that I picked up but the scenario was fine pistol only IMO

It really almost makes no difference what gun you use with Michael during his ability because (and this is one of the main differences between GTA and Max Payne bullet time Ive noticed) the time between firing shots is slower when you activate it. There is precious seconds wasted if you dont nail that one precise hit.

TheMan

I was a bit underwhelmed by the last mission.

I expected the last mission to be a bit more epic with a better firefight, more akin to the mission that took place at the kortz center. The last segment of the mission that involved killing off the 3 groups of antagonists was also a let down because it was too easy. Also, I didn't really feel satisfied after killing stretch and the chinese guys because their roles in the story had been so minor and forgettable. A great game to be sure, but certainly not without it failings in the story department.

Also, now that the story is over, doing all the extra stuff like races feels kind of empty. It kind of reminds me of sticking around in my freshman dorm after many other students had gone home for christmas break since my biology final was being administered on the last day possible.

ThisOne

Question about the 2nd heist:
I stole the submarine with Trevor but now there doesn't seem to be any other missions to prepare for the heist or actually start it. Do I have to progress to a certain point with Michael and Franklin before I can actually do this heist?

Sorian

Banned
Question about the 2nd heist:
I stole the submarine with Trevor but now there doesn't seem to be any other missions to prepare for the heist or actually start it. Do I have to progress to a certain point with Michael and Franklin before I can actually do this heist?

Any other missions up? Go do them. The heists act as a kind of check point in the game to make sure you've advanced each individual's story to a certain point.

So who are the female cop and the bikini ifruit girl seen on the cover and loading screen?

I always think the girl is a more sensationalized version of Mike's daughter but I know that's probably wrong. Maybe the celeb you follow in Beverly's missions?

Edit: I'm thinking of the girl that the cop is arresting, I just realize you mean the girl making the peace sign.

Here's to a slow, methodical progression to achieving 100% and savoring every second in Los Santos. Oh, and the [Last Mission Achievement Spoiler]
"To Live and Die in Los Santos" was so fucking boss. I kept wanting to hear Pac's "To Live and Die in L.A." on Radio Los Santos!

I was thinking of the movie and the lack of Wang Chung playing over the credits.

Megasoum

Banned
Just watched the ending on youtube...

Wow, A and B really are terrible... I'm glad I picked C (the only choice really). Not only A+B are kinda stupid but I feel terrible watching them. Why would I want to see those guys die?? I love them! The only one I wouldn't mind seeing dying is the one killing the other 2! Franklin was such an empty kinda useless character next to the other two.

rvy

Banned
Not sure if it has been brought up yet, but if you're unarmed inside a vehicle, and press the weapon button, the character will use their middle finger.

dreamfall

Just watched the ending on youtube...

Wow, A and B really are terrible... I'm glad I picked C (the only choice really). Not only A+B are kinda stupid but I feel terrible watching them. Why would I want to see those guys die?? I love them! The only one I wouldn't mind seeing dying is the one killing the other 2! Franklin was such an empty kinda useless character next to the other two.

[Last Mission Musings]
Well, I guess if you truly had a strong reaction to one of the characters- active disgust or dislike, it wouldn't seem that farfetched. Trevor did some despicable things, but his psychopathic tendencies I adored. Michael sold out his crew, and seemed pretty selfish with chasing his Movie production dreams at the expense of the crew/family. And Franklin was the student in training!

Goldrusher

Here is my all GTA stuff and collection in one unboxing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCMcVRKhig&feature=youtu.be

1264441_10153287666340290_413706164_o.jpg

Nice!

Andrew.

Banned
The fact that I have a really sweet black Sabre parked in Trevors trailer garage whenever I replay all the missions
overtaking the Lost and returning to Los Santos
makes me forget about all the money I wasted souping shit up only to lose it minutes later due to whatever circumstances.

dreamfall

The fact that I have a really sweet black Sabre parked in Trevors trailer garage whenever I replay all the missions
overtaking the Lost and returning to Los Santos
makes me forget about the all the money I wasted souping shit up only to lose it minutes later due to whatever circumstances.

That's a beautiful ride!

[Intro To Trevor HATE]
Having him destroy Johnny K like that after fucking his girl made me so angry! We protected that man- tried to hold the pieces of The Lost together- then we're chasing 'em down, killing Terry and Clay! I wonder what happened to Angus... Trevor showed no mercy- that gang was definitely on the outs, but it was such an unexpected cameo/quick death!

sunnz

That's a beautiful ride!

[Intro To Trevor HATE]
Having him destroy Johnny K like that after fucking his girl made me so angry! We protected that man- tried to hold the pieces of The Lost together- then we're chasing 'em down, killing Terry and Clay! I wonder what happened to Angus... Trevor showed no mercy- that gang was definitely on the outs, but it was such an unexpected cameo/quick death!

I guess there was no other way to show just how crazy and insane Trevor is ( I too disliked it, felt too cheap)

Coop

That's a beautiful ride!

[Intro To Trevor HATE]

I thought this was amazing but
I hate every single character of the Lost. Johnny K going out like a bitch was great

Andrew.

Banned
That's a beautiful ride!

[Intro To Trevor HATE]

That whole introductory sequence really blew me away the first time
because everything happened so fast. You're introduced to Trev's unpredictable freak outs, the death of Johnny (and Ash if you want) Ron, Wade, and this new environment and it's just like "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!". I will say it was pretty depressing for me to see Johnny fall like that into meth addiction. I never expected it, especially after completing TLAD so many times (my fav part of GTA4). Johnny seemed so anti drug (or at least anti meth) and in his scene he acted way out of character, but that meth man. Once it gets its claws in...

dreamfall

I guess there was no other way to show just how crazy and insane Trevor is ( I too disliked it, felt too cheap)

It was such a sudden shift-
like I was so excited to see Johnny, and then BAM! Trevor is wiping brainbits off the bottom of his shoe. I get that he needed to destroy the competition, but I wish there was a bit of a buildup to that confrontation. Or maybe even when attacking The Lost in the trailerpark, there could've been a quick cut to Johnny K assembling the last remnants of the the pathetic gang.

Klebitz always was caught in the middle- Billy Grey made him get into some fucked up situations, but he handled his own. I liked him!

I hate every single character of the Lost. Johnny K going out like a bitch was great

TAKE IT BACK! Aha, to each their own!

dreamfall

Woops, hit that post- should've been consolidated :/

That whole introductory sequence really blew me away the first time
because everything happened so fast. You're introduced to Trev's unpredictable freak outs, the death of Johnny (and Ash if you want) Ron, Wade, and this new environment and it's just like "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!". I will say it was pretty depressing for me to see Johnny fall like that into meth addiction. I never expected it, especially after completing TLAD so many times (my fav part of GTA4). Johnny seemed so anti drug (or at least anti meth) and in his scene he acted way out of character, but that meth man. Once it gets its claws in...

Exactly- I felt like
he was always so much more levelheaded than that. Bah, it was depressing. Him protecting Ash after she got in so much shit with that snake Boccino, and then to have him fail on keeping her/falling to drug addiction/getting killed in the introduction to Trevor- I needed more! Reasons as to how it happened, a little buildup- I think was effective at being completely surprising, but it's strange to reflect on how badass it felt to play as Klebitz in TLAD. And then he's reduced to nothingness!

Drugs are bad, man.

alterno69

Banned
Mman this game, i did an awesome random mission yesterday,
rescued a woman being buried alive by two dudes lol, got a 60k reward.

My son is playing right now, he's seven but i let him just drive around and explore, i like seeing him explore too.

I'm almost 30 hours in and still as hooked as the first hour. Game of the generation for me along with Oblivion.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed. [Easter Egg/Mission spoiler]
Always been my least favourite GTA protagonist.

[Late game Switch spoiler]
Anyone else caught Amanda "servicing" herself?
Laughed my arse off.

Andrew.

Banned
Woops, hit that post- should've been consolidated :/

Exactly- I felt like
he was always so much more levelheaded than that. Bah, it was depressing. Him protecting Ash after she got in so much shit with that snake Boccino, and then to have him fail on keeping her/falling to drug addiction/getting killed in the introduction to Trevor- I needed more! Reasons as to how it happened, a little buildup- I think was effective at being completely surprising, but it's strange to reflect on how badass it felt to play as Klebitz in TLAD. And then he's reduced to nothingness!

Drugs are bad, man.

Drugs are bad.

But weed is righteous

dreamfall

What are y'all's weapon of choice?

Shotguns are the most op IMO.

I love the Pistol .50 and the Advanced Machine Gun.

Those guns got some major kick!

And it was a nice touch to have weapon customization- putting silences on SMGs never felt so gangster!

Drugs are bad.

But weed is righteous

Baha- Grass Roots [Stranger Mission Spoilers] encounters
sheeeeit, if they lace it. Fighting aliens/clowns/talking to dogs, all types of tripppppy!
I miss The Truth!

Does anyone know if there have been any copyright claims on YouTube videos of GTA V because of the songs on the radio that limit regional viewing, cause copyright strikes, or prevent monetization?

dreamfall

sheeeeeittt.gif

Never tried that..

Clay Davis endorses it fully!

Never felt so much like Max Payne!

The shooting- the feedback, the responsiveness, the special abilities- it'll be hard to roll back in Liberty City.

Oh, and shout out to Lamar. What a homie for life!

ibrsUlzChhmL10.gif

Just finished this, fantastic game although I feel like it could have still been so much better.

I must say that the golf club is kinda pissing me off right now, though. I know it's easy to buy with the stock market tactic when you've finished the game. However, 150m is just very stupid with what you earn for the last mission.

lol, think I just found bigfoot in this game.

In the mission where you're hunting rednecks in the woods and you get a thermal scope, one of the thermal images looked like big foot, only he disappeared shortly after finding it.

Sorian

Banned

In the mission where you're hunting rednecks in the woods and you get a thermal scope, one of the thermal images looked like big foot, only he disappeared shortly after finding it.

Look for more conclusive evidence.

Goldrusher

Make sure you play all the Stranger missions...

The Last One "small" spoiler:
You have to find a Sasquatch...
big spoiler:
...which exists but is actually an Undead Nightmare cosplayer.

Top Bottom