• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Megasoum

Banned
Michael outfit question

So do you actually get the scuba effect when you wear the scuba outfit after the heist?

Also, is there any way to get flippers to go faster underwater?

Edit:
Ok you don't get the scuba "effect" with the suit

Don't understand why Michael doesn't just
cap Trevor whenever he lets his guard down and be done with it. So many opportunities. I mean just whip out a pistol and pop him when he's not looking or something, wtf lol. Ah well, guess it needs to be this way since it's a game. Just about to start the Union Depository (THE BIG ONE!) heist.

I haven't gotten to the end, so please don't spoil that.

Courage

cap Trevor whenever he lets his guard down and be done with it. So many opportunities. I mean just whip out a pistol and pop him when he's not looking or something, wtf lol. Ah well, guess it needs to be this way since it's a game.

Because he secretly enjoys it. Trevor personifies the chaos he loves in this type of life.

Andrew.

Banned
cap Trevor whenever he lets his guard down and be done with it. So many opportunities. I mean just whip out a pistol and pop him when he's not looking or something, wtf lol. Ah well, guess it needs to be this way since it's a game.

It's because they're bros, bro.

Michael outfit question

So do you actually get the scuba effect when you wear the scuba outfit after the heist?

I think you can only get the scuba gear while riding in certain boats. You can get the gear for sure while driving the dinghy you get for a stranger mission Michael gets, or the submarine you get access to when you buy a property.

cap Trevor whenever he lets his guard down and be done with it. So many opportunities. I mean just whip out a pistol and pop him when he's not looking or something, wtf lol. Ah well, guess it needs to be this way since it's a game. Just about to start the Union Depository (THE BIG ONE!) heist.

I haven't gotten to the end, so please don't spoil that.

They have a complicated relationship. I think Michael does like Trevor, but he's also afraid of him. He knows what Trevor is and what he's capable of.

Megasoum

Banned
I think you can only get the scuba gear while riding in certain boats. You can get the gear for sure while driving the dinghy you get for a stranger mission Michael gets, or the submarine you get access to when you buy a property.

Oh...you mean the dinghy that I just beached cause I was going full speed while watching a movie on my second screen? lol....dammit

dreamfall

Because he secretly enjoys it. Trevor personifies the chaos he loves in this type of life.

Yeah, this is an answer I would've tried to write with the same eloquence. It's the sheer simplicity of it- I think as much as he claims he wants to be out of the life, he gets that rush from heisting.

We discussed this with Dr. Friedlander. [Spoiler post End]
And then he wanted to defame Michael and create his show, so his Comet was blown to bits with an RPG! :)

cilonen

Michael outfit question

Edit:
Ok you don't get the scuba "effect" with the suit

disembarking from either a Nagasaki Dinghy (there are often some moored around Elysium Island) or the sub will put you in scuba gear in the water

Moze

Banned
Doesn't anyone find Trevor just a bit too lame? I find all the characters pretty bad, but Trevor just comes across as such a try hard character.

When it was implied that he
raped Floyd
my mind was blown at how Rockstar get away with this while all the quirky Japanese games get completely ripped a part by the critics for much tamer things.

Doesn't anyone find Trevor just a bit too lame? I find all the characters pretty bad, but Trevor just comes across as such a try hard character.

It's a great performance, but I'm not falling over myself to call him the greatest character since storytelling was invented or whatever the hyperbole of the day is. I wish there was more subtlety and nuance to him because those lower intensity moments are when I feel Trevor shines, and makes his outbursts have that much more impact.

But I guess GTA doesn't really do subtlety or nuance though, huh.

Ensirius

I think someone on another board spoiled me the ending only when I got 4 missions to finish the story. Someone let me know if this is something significant please.

Something about Maywather hiding a huge submarine.

Sorian

Banned
I think someone on another board spoiled me the ending only when I got 4 missions to finish the story. Someone let me know if this is something significant please.

You have 4 missions left? You already dealt with what they are talking about like 40 missions ago.

Arcteryx

You have quite a ways to go still.

No ending spoilers, just an answer to the question
I don't think that such a thing is even in the game, but either way it has nothing to do with the ending.

So, I got into a cab and didn't skip the drive, because I was driving to a mission and I didn' t want to possibly miss anything if i happened to skip it. Anyway, I come back into my room and there is like a 10 car pile up in front of me and cops everywhere and people literally running out of their car on the highway onto incoming traffic and getting run over. And like 40+ cars piled up behind me. I then I tell the cab driver to hurry up just see what will happen and he starts slamming into the front of this car and then backing up at 100mph into the front of another. I was dying. Too good.

Neiteio

So, I got into a cab and didn't skip the drive, because I was driving to a mission and I didn' t want to possibly miss anything if i happened to skip it. Anyway, I come back into my room and there is like a 10 car pile up in front of me and cops everywhere and people literally running out of their car on the highway onto incoming traffic and getting run over. And like 40+ cars piled up behind me. I then I tell the cab driver to hurry up just see what will happen and he starts slamming into the front of this car and then backing up at 100mph into the front of another. I was dying. Too good.
This is awesome. I'll share my own anecdote. It's what happened right before GTAV killed my PS3. (I salvaged the save and now await a new PS3 Slim this Wed.)

Basically, I'm in Blaine County as Michael. It's night, I'm at a rest stop on an empty desert road. I'm pacing back and forth, talking to my therapist on the phone. While I'm talking, an 18-wheeler goes hurtling down the highway, police in hot pursuit, and together they inexplicably explode right next to me, their flaming wreckage tumbling front over end. When the phone call concludes, I go over to investigate the wreckage, and casually walk away. Just a random event, but I'll think of it whenever I think of this game. :)

Ensirius

Don't worry

You have quite a ways to go still.

No ending spoilers, just an answer to the question
I don't think that such a thing is even in the game, but either way it has nothing to do with the ending.

Phew thanks guys...

You have 4 missions left? You already dealt with what they are talking about like 40 missions ago.

I don't remember dealing with that at all. My memory is something else, and I turned 26 just two days ago

Dresden

But I guess GTA doesn't really do subtlety or nuance though, huh.

It's a pity, since the great effort from the actors and all those involved with the production isn't matched by the juvenile writing. At some point the series needs to move past the Family Guy humor . . . but there's no incentive when it sells so well, and is received so favorably.

Vibranium

Banned
I love Trevor, I can confidently say that Steve Ogg is the man. Every line just makes me laugh so much and the delivery is excellent. The moments when he gets quietly menacing are fantastic, that's when you know something is going to happen but you don't know what. Maybe GTA writing needs to get more subtle in the future but the voice acting is top-notch.

I'm probably biased because Trev's Canadian and I'll take every character I can get from my country in videogames.

Sorian

Banned
I don't remember dealing with that at all. My memory is something else, and I turned 26 just two days ago

2nd heist spoiler, I guess:
I believe they would be talking about the approach of the second heist that involves taking a sub out to the middle of nowhere to get the device? You steal the sub from merryweather IIRC and it just sounds like you read a tid bit that was misconstrued from soneone else who misconstrued something

Derrick01

Banned
It's a pity, since the great effort from the actors and all those involved with the production isn't matched by the juvenile writing. At some point the series needs to move past the Family Guy humor . . . but there's no incentive when it sells so well, and is received so favorably.

Has Houser even proved he can be a decent writer? Every game he's involved in has basically the same plot with the same characters and weak satire or overall writing style.
Like as much as I enjoy the talk show out in the country and how they pick on republicans they do it in such an obvious manner. They'll talk about how racist they are and how liberals use their fancy education and how we don't need none of that stuff! I'm sitting there thinking to myself can you really not do any better than that? Can't even make it a little more subtle than that?

EGOMON

Just finished the game and i must say 10/10 is well deserved great story now its time for the explorations and the collectibles :)

Darklord

Banned
Does anything actually come out of Hushamush.com(the dating site in the game)? Do you get to actually meet any of the people on it?

You can almost see it coming together around the middle of the game where Trevor is put in more situations with Michael + Franklin, or Franklin + Lamar. There's a great deranged Justified-esque character hiding in there, but the writing, lack of restraint, and lack of narrative focus holds him back. Steven Ogg is not to blame as he does a great job with what he's given, but there's the potential for more.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anything actually come out of Hushamush.com(the dating site in the game)? Do you get to actually meet any of the people on it?

I don't think so. You don't even get billed when paying the $500 fee to "join" the site.

There are a lot of sites with videos that don't work when you try to see them, saying they're down due to high demand or something. I'm not sure if that's by design or not because I have seen videos on some sites before but when I went back to them a day later they'd also say down to high demand.

Neiteio

Has Houser even proved he can be a decent writer? Every game he's involved in has basically the same plot with the same characters and weak satire or overall writing style.
Like as much as I enjoy the talk show out in the country and how they pick on republicans they do it in such an obvious manner. They'll talk about how racist they are and how liberals use their fancy education and how we don't need none of that stuff! I'm sitting there thinking to myself can you really not do any better than that? Can't even make it a little more subtle than that?
I think the way the satire is so blunt and no one in the game seems to notice is precisely the point. It's trying to say, "These problems are plain for all to see, but nobody in mainstream America seems to pick up on them."

For example, the TV commercial paid for by an oil company, saying slow-moving windmills are a danger to the bird population and San Andreas should return to the "bird-friendly" alternative of smokestacks spewing noxious fumes. If real-life had truth in advertising, that's the kind of commercial we'd get from oil and gas. Even in real-life, this should be plainly evident by their actions, but the point is that even when we see it right before our very eyes, most Americans carry on as usual.

I don't think so. You don't even get billed when paying the $500 fee to "join" the site.

There are a lot of sites with videos that don't work when you try to see them, saying they're down due to high demand or something. I'm not sure if that's by design or not because I have seen videos on some sites before but when I went back to them a day later they'd also say down to high demand.

pretty sure that hentai princess thingy is gonna be added later.

Is there more than 1 movie available? every theater seems to only have that weird ass foreign one.

Finished the game last night at 5AM, loved it and made the right choice.

GTAV blows GTAIV out of the water.

a) the way it treats vehicles when you arrive at a ''quest giver'' blip and triggers a cinematic. Your car does not disapear, it gets placed at the closest parking spot or curb. No disapearing cars.

b)modded cars lost on the street end up at the impound. This i great+. Especially for street races.

c)focus on scores or heists. I love this. We are career criminals and I like the focus of the game going into this direction.

d)No Niko Belic. I hate Niko, such a putz who tries to make you feel for him when he is nothing but a hood. GTAV's main characters don't shy from what they really are: career criminals. And that is why I like all three characters

Arcteryx

I think they are tied to the Social Club because a few worked for me at one point and now they're hit or miss.

Hip Hop

Anybody else besides me going for 1000 Achievement score/Platinum Trophy?

I got the 50 bridges/15 Knife flights done, pretty fun. The 30 nuclear wastes done. So far at 32 of spaceship parts done, which seems the most tedious to me so far. Not even the submarine made me feel like that.

I'm about to start the big heist and I need to find a getaway car. What's weird is every car has turned into a jeep. I slept, and even reloaded my game and still all I see are jeeps. Is the game trying to force me to use one? I feel like I can find a faster car than that.

I was cruising around the city earlier and decided to do some clothes shopping. So I parked up at the side of the road. As Franklin opened his door a motorbike slammed into it, sending the rider somersaulting over the door and landing on his back. I was laughing at this point and explaining to a slightly uninterested wife what had just happened. I forgot about shopping and got back in my car still laughing as the guy was getting back up. I drove to the end of the street and stopped at a red light. All of a sudden, the same guy on his bike crashes into the back of my car (at some speed) , sending him flying over my car and the one in front landing dead in the street. By this point me and my wife were in hysterics.

Derrick01

Banned
I think the way the satire is so blunt and no one in the game seems to notice is precisely the point. It's trying to say, "These problems are plain for all to see, but nobody in mainstream America seems to pick up on them."

For example, the TV commercial paid for by an oil company, saying slow-moving windmills are a danger to the bird population and San Andreas should return to the "bird-friendly" alternative of smokestacks spewing noxious fumes. If real-life had truth in advertising, that's the kind of commercial we'd get from oil and gas. Even in real-life, this should be plainly evident by their actions, but the point is that even when we see it right before our very eyes, most Americans carry on as usual.

I guess, if that's what they're really going for anyway. It's just when I see those commercials in real life I can already see through the bullshit so having a game spell them out to me isn't doing much for me. That kind of satire worked a lot better for me in the GTA3-SA days when I was a lot dumber and more oblivious to what was going on around me as most 13-15 year olds are.

I guess, if that's what they're really going for anyway. It's just when I see those commercials in real life I can already see through the bullshit so having a game spell them out to me isn't doing much for me. That kind of satire worked a lot better for me in the GTA3-SA days when I was a lot dumber and more oblivious to what was going on around me as most 13-15 year olds are.

I wouldn't even call it satire. GTA is just an exaggeration of our world. Full of stereotypes. I don't think it needs intelligent satire personally. I will watch The Thick of It for that.

waypoetic

Banned
So, i want to "play" as a cop, now that i've finished the story. I used to do this a lot when i played GTA:SA.

I've got the (sort of spoilerish)
cop outfit from the highway patrol-thing from earlier on in the game, but i can't get rid of the helmet from the outfit!
It seems that Michael can't wear hats or anything of the sort, so i can't un-equip it...

And lastly: how the fuck do i repair a cop car? There's no "fix car code" in 5, right?

Top Bottom