• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Kinda wish the FIB guy's
death would be the exact same torture minigame.

Was there any other way to finish that?
I used a sniper. I assume rpg would work too.

Agreed about the driving. And some vehicles are difficult to control... But nothing quite like GTAIV, where even the nimblest car in the game handled like a boat. I didn't mind GTAIV driving while playing GTAIV, but if I went back to it I think it'd be unplayable for me.

jsnepo

GTAV's driving is better suited for racing and making sharp turns. GTAIV's driving on the other hand is better suited for driving straight and swerving. I like both and fits the cities they are in.

cdkee

Banned
If i customize the GTR I get from the garage, are those mods permanent? Like if I lose the car and get it again, will they still be there? Wait, I have free mods, I'll go try it out myself.

Kvik

GTAV's driving is better suited for racing and making sharp turns. GTAIV's driving on the other hand is better suited for driving straight and swerving. I like both and fits the cities they are in.

One criticism I have for V's driving is that they've changed the camera position in Dashboard view. Rather than centered as in IV, it is now on the driver's seat. This makes it rather hard to tell whether the car I'm currently driving will fit the opening between cars when weaving through traffic lights, since we can't see the right side of the car, especially when driving wide-bodied cars.

Any one else have trouble picking up nuclear waste? There's this one piece in a kind of gully, I can't for the life of me get in the right position to grab it.

Edit: duh I forgot you can get out of the sub

Acorn

I think I might start a new game. I feel like I may have rushed through it on a gaming binge and not taken everything in.

jsnepo

Kvikmyndahús;84076727 said:
One criticism I have for V's driving is that they've changed the camera position in Dashboard view. Rather than centered as in IV, it is now on the driver's seat. This makes it rather hard to tell whether the car I'm currently driving will fit the opening between cars when weaving through traffic lights, since we can't see the right side of the car, especially when driving wide-bodied cars.

I never used that camera. It makes me dizzy but my complaint about the camera now is it is centered unlike in IV where there is an angle much like most TPS games now. In that camera, I get to see what's right in front of the vehicle without having to adjust the camera height (I like it low).

Only thing I don't really like about the new driving is the very Arcady turning over your car, takes no skill and in old GTA games you had to line up the wheels right but it was possible to avoid a roll

I never used that camera. It makes me dizzy but my complaint about the camera now is it is centered unlike in IV where there is an angle much like most TPS games now. In that camera, I get to see what's right in front of the vehicle without having to adjust the camera height (I like it low).

If you're adjusting constantly, why are you leaving the camera angle low?

The high angle is so good. 100% less babysitting the right stick while driving.

G-Bus

Banned
Finally got to play this over the weekend for a few hours. Done a handful of missions and screwed around a bit.

I'm not blown away by it like the vast majority of people. It's GTA, good fun.

I have noticed one odd thing about my experience so far during a mission is that I actually felt kind of weird taking cover and blowing people away with a shot gun, or any weapon for that matter. By weird I mean a little disgusted... Not sure that's the right word to use but yea. Never had a feeling like this before in a game. Just felt a little too realistic at times. I don't know. Odd feeling.

Anyway, judging by some of the thread titles around i'm sure that's the tip of the ice berg if I feel like that just shooting people. Should be interesting haha.

Still trying to wrap my head around how big the map is. I haven't really ventured outside the city yet. I did drive up that big ass mountain once and rode a dirt bike down. Died and haven't left the city since.

Crazy game.

Quick question, about 3/4ths through the story, maybe a little later, after Micheal and Trevor have a discussion at Micheal's house.
Michael gets kidnapped and you lose control of him, you do get control back right? Because I have a bunch of missions I haven't done with him yet.

Quick question, about 3/4ths through the story, maybe a little later, after Micheal and Trevor have a discussion at Micheal's house.
Michael gets kidnapped and you lose control of him, you do get control back right? Because I have a bunch of missions I haven't done with him yet.
Yes,
Franklin rescues him.

IMACOMPUTA

What I'm not a fan of is a couple of missions later they have you
rescue Michael without letting you be prepared with weapons and body armor.
Same old GTA loadout problems that they failed to address.

I actually had to restart that whole mission because
i wanted to shoot an rpg at the FIB guy in the ferris wheel and watch it through their tv camera as it came at them. I was out of rpg's and didnt realize that it was all part of one super long mission, so i had to redo the rescue part too :(

MYeager

Just did the torture. It was uncomfortable. The hamfisted diatribe after didn't make it justified either.

It was meant to be uncomfortable. Even with the ham fisted dialogue some folks still thought it was pro-torture. I think it needed to be ham fisted, not that GTA is known for its subtlety anyway but especially that scene needed to hammer the point clearly.

inky

Is the crane at the top of the building? If so how do I get up there?

Fastest way is by helicopter. If you want to do it from the ground, inside the building (exactly where the parachute icon is) you should see a shaft with a ladder(s) that will take you all the way to the top. It's a bit of a slow climb.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I switched to Trevor and he was
drunk on some roof and I had no idea how to get down. I ended up jumping off and dying

Fastest way is by helicopter. If you want to do it from the ground, inside the building (exactly where the parachute icon is) you should see a shaft with a ladder(s) that will take you all the way to the top. It's a bit of a slow climb.
Oh ok thanks. I must have missed that ladder.

Finished it almost exactly a day before GTA Online launches, nice.

Also people said the midsection suffers from some repetition/boring-ness, I didn't get that at all, there were some great stretch of missions in the middle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finished the story at around 60 hours. Damn good game, probably in the top 5 of the generation for me. It's amazing what a huge improvement it is over IV. I couldn't force myself to finish that game, I just got too bored. This one I loved almost every minute of.

At 84% completion now, definitely planning on getting to 100%.

Big-ass Ramp

I really hope the cops get toned down in a patch. I can't do anything without them coming storming after me. Its really not fun

Derrick01

Banned
Oh ok thanks. I must have missed that ladder.

You did. There's several cranes in that area and this one's kind of hugging a building. It's a really goddamn long climb too, like 5 minutes real time almost. While you're up there make sure you climb the extra tiny ladder at the top to get to a platform that has a collectible up there (paper I think). Would suck to have to climb that again after parachuting.

ufo8mycat

BRILLIANT GAME!

Absolutely amazing and the attention to detail is mind-blowing.

One annoying thing I hate though is the cops

1) They come instantly and they are like Rambo. I think there were a couple of situations where I didn't even have time to raise my gun, before they killed me

Doesn't take many bullets for them or anyone else to kill you

I want to confirm something

I have found about 10 letter scrapes and 8 UFO parts by myself just be wondering around.

Do I need the iFruit app for an iPhone to teach CHOP to detect hidden items or can I train him in-game???

MattDoza

Do I need the iFruit app for an iPhone to teach CHOP to detect hidden items or can I train him in-game???

You need the app. And the usefulness of his ability isn't as good as you might think. He finds any kind of item, not just hidden. So if there' a gun, or health pickup in the area, he'll also find that. Wouldn't rely on it as a tool to find all collectibles over a guide map.

dropbear

Banned
Just bought the three-part soundtrack on iTunes.

Highly recommended - it's absolutely stellar.

GTAV is easily on the shortlist for best (original) soundtrack this year.

EDIT: Also, if anyone is looking for music with a similar vibe, scope out the Samurai Champloo soundtrack.

Big-ass Ramp

You have to activate it just before he lands while he's falling, not at the start.

Ohh OK. Thanks. I just did it too soon.

I don't know. I've set sticky bombs off in the middle of nowhere with no cop intervention.

Weird. Yep I blew up my car because I dented the front corner of it meaning the wheel wouldn't turn anymore.

Maybe I'm just frustrated. The cops show too frequently, quickly, then with crazy accuracy. That and I hate finally finding a cool car and understeering thru a corner only to bump into something and render the car worthless. I'm tempted to put this game down and wait for patches. See how those pan out

BigDug13

Kvikmyndahús;84076727 said:

The best option will be the inevitable first person view mod on the PC version which will give you the actual perspective behind the wheel by cycling through the view options, just like GTA IV.

I'm ~80% complete and 51 hours in. Damn.

I'm going for all achievements and true 100%. I'm going to be busy with this game for a long ass time.
Probably when I finish up, GTA Online will be relatively douche free!

P.S. Sticky Bomb = best thing ever.

Top Bottom