• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Dead

well not really...yet
lol, I aimed a gun at some dude in an SUV, he panicked, lost control, ran straight into a pole, his car BLEW UP and he walked out while on fire. Whole thing was crazy.

Managed to get a last second photo:

0_0.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I cannot load the stupid story mode!!! It just loads for ever!!!:( Corrupted save game????:( I'm not starting this game over!!!!!!!

edit:: Delete my save game, forced a reload of the autosave one which was two minutes later, and now I'm fine!

Heimbeck

Banned
Oh and BTW, you people who said this was anywhere close to MP3 combat are crazy. Ka-razy. I'm even more sure of that now. The gunplay heavy Michael missions are proof enough. There are 2 of them that could literally be ripped straight from MP3, except they don't play anywhere near as well. I maintain that this is one step above GTAIV, same level as RDR.

I think it's better than RDR but not as good as MP3

Derrick01

Banned
I cannot load the stupid story mode!!! It just loads for ever!!!:( Corrupted save game????:( I'm not starting this game over!!!!!!!

edit:: Delete my save game, forced a reload of the autosave one which was two minutes later, and now I'm fine!

Did you download the update earlier today?

I think it's better than RDR but not as good as MP3

I don't see how it's better than RDR, really. Red Dead had better sound, shooting from a moving "vehicle" was more intuitive, it had better close quarters execution kills, it had better gun feedback (simulated recoil and more pronounced enemy reactions), better crosshairs, and it had a health system that fit the game more. Plus you could crouch, and switch shoulders while aiming.

GTAV has better free aim control, and slightly better movement in combat for 2 seconds before you're forced to walk again...........unless you hold the shoot button halfway to keep the crosshair on screen..........unless you shoot with R1 on the PS3 which renders that technique impossible.

Both have equally bad cover systems and generally stiff movement.

After I weigh the pros and cons, they're the same level for me. MP3 towers above both if only for how much better running + gunning is, on top of cover being less animation heavy and sticky. Bring up the "dedicated shooter vs. open world" if you want, but these games are clearly building on each other, so it doesn't fully apply.

They took out the upclose executions from Red Dead and Max Payne 3 though which is a bummer, they were neat and more efficient than the gun smack.

squadr0n

Has anyone had any luck with being able to switch characters in the sp after trying GTA online? I don't have a recent save to load other than the one I'm having trouble with. Has rockstar mentioned if this would be fixe or am I just shit out of luck? This is rediculous! How did this not get noticed in QA?

Has anyone had any luck with being able to switch characters in the sp after trying GTA online? I don't have a recent save to load other than the one I'm having trouble with. Has rockstar mentioned if this would be fixe or am I just shit out of luck? This is rediculous! How did this not get noticed in QA?

Been playing SP all day.
MP hasn't worked at all. :(

San Andreas is still the best gta was my exact thoughts after beating the game. Still a great game without question, but SA and VC are just on another level.

Ha, I'm doing the same right now. Also left the PS3 running for nough time to pass to do a race,since I can't be arsed to hoof it back home and save to skip time

Since GTAO has been dead for me all day I decided to get into SP and finish up these missions, get robe and am told to play for 8 hours straight. (i assume switching characters could possibly switch the robe for another outfit)

Megatonne

Banned
Just finished it. Loved it but it felt way too short. By far the fastest I ever finished a GTA story. Only put in 25 hours total, 10-15 of which were screwing around meaning the story is 10-15 tops. I feel like others had 20-30 hours of main story

Mik317

Finally beat it.

Damn that was great.

I always got bored of any open world game no matter what but this one was the right balance of keeping things fresh. Although there were too many, drive this thing here yo, missions which did suck...as well as anything involving copters. But the variety and good checkpoints made what normally would be a drag into constantly fun stuff.

Some small negatives

The Story: The ending in particular kinda just happens and as awesome as the cast is, it kinda peters out in terms of plot. I like the ending tho. The plot itself meanders a bit.

The flying controls: fuck

and that's about it.

I had a blast. Gonna [ending spoilers]
watch the other two endings
as while I had fun...I am glad its over and kinda don't wanna play anymore...I might watch my sister play through it instead.

Great game...might be my GOTY (Mario, Sonic and Pokemon probably will prevent that tho).

The flying controls: fuck

Yep, the planes aren't bad, but good god the helicopter controls. Lol. Passing flying school was a pain in the ass.

Also, I want to play so bad but I'm afraid the update is going to fuck my save files. I've never actually had to think about not applying an update. Do I just disconnect from the internet and play?

Derrick01

Banned
San Andreas is still the best gta was my exact thoughts after beating the game. Still a great game without question, but SA and VC are just on another level.

You should play VC again now to find out just how little content there is in that game. This game blows it away, maybe not with atmosphere and soundtrack, but in everything that matters for a video game.

I don't even know if I would say SA is better. For me the 2 most important aspects of open world games are its mission quality/diversity and the amount of interesting side content it has. SA has much better and more diverse missions than this game but the side content is pretty much equal since 5 brought almost everything from SA back. I'm not sure if I would trade all of the modern engine, graphical and mechanic improvements in 5 for better and more diverse missions. It's a tough call.

Am I the only one who feels like a GTA game, a game centered around cars and driving, should have more fun driving? Going from A to B in this game (and theres a lot of going from A to B) feels like such an annoyance - a chore. And the traffic AI is so bad that you really don't have a choice but to drive like a lunatic - smashing up your car and running people over.

I mean, driving like a lunatic is fun, but if they could do it in the context of a high-speed get-away, or chasing someone down, and have the rest of the driving be more 'normal', that would be great. I would be much more immersed in the world that way.

Although I admit modeling traffic and restructuring the entire mission system in a way where driving from A to B, while obeying traffic laws, would be pretty difficult. Especially so it wouldn't get tedious. But if they could do it - I'd consider that a next-gen GTA game. As it is, V definitely feels like the most realized version of GTA, but at the same time the whole formula feels a bit dated.

That's just me.

The Story: The ending in particular kinda just happens and as awesome as the cast is, it kinda peters out in terms of plot. I like the ending tho. The plot itself meanders a bit.

The game could use a lot more missions. Even if it's just Lamar calling you up to get you to help him get back at a balla who jacked his sisters bike or some shit. Spontaneous stuff like when Micheal family called.

scarlet

You have to be kidding me with this Epsilon
walking
mission. Rockstar is having a damn laugh.

i use paper clip for the analog and aomething heavy to press the button.

left it for lunch and 30 minutes later i did it.

anyway, i still lost my vehicle, i guess the patch didn't solve the vehicle disappearance?

You should play VC again now to find out just how little content there is in that game. This game blows it away, maybe not with atmosphere and soundtrack, but in everything that matters for a video game.

I don't even know if I would say SA is better. For me the 2 most important aspects of open world games are its mission quality/diversity and the amount of interesting side content it has. SA has much better and more diverse missions than this game but the side content is pretty much equal since 5 brought almost everything from SA back. I'm not sure if I would trade all of the modern engine, graphical and mechanic improvements in 5 for better and more diverse missions. It's a tough call.

Now that i'm thinking about it, you are right. VC is pretty much all about the main campaign. I say V is a better open world game than VC, but my biggest criteria in judging games are the story and my general feeling/s in the moment i'm playing the game. And I feel VC did better in those two criterias than V did. It's like VC (and SA) reached higher highs (no weed references here lol) is the best way I could describe it. VC and SA surprised the shit out of me when I first played it. In V, it felt like GTA is supposed to be a game like this.

Though the one thing V really did great was 3 protag SP playing at the same time. That shit was revolutionary to me lol. So as being able to plan the heist. Was a bit disappointed w/ the number of heist though. And kind of ridiculous that getting a car/props for a heist counts toward the total missions count. Felt like they did it to infltate the number of missions.

I also prefer SA map over V.

With all that said.. I might take it if folks will say that V is tied with VC, but no no no no (lol) it is not better than SA. Still a great game, definitely on the top 10 this gen.

Mik317

ending spoilers

just watched the other two endings.... Those seem real out of character for Franklin honestly. He would never kill Trevor. Michael would but not franklin and the Michael option feels dumb too..like why would he listen to Weston anyway...yeah those are very bad endings.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't see how it's better than RDR, really. Red Dead had better sound, shooting from a moving "vehicle" was more intuitive, it had better close quarters execution kills, it had better gun feedback (simulated recoil and more pronounced enemy reactions), better crosshairs, and it had a health system that fit the game more. Plus you could crouch, and switch shoulders while aiming.

Plus, you could shoot the guns out of the enemies hands! I'm pretty sure the cover system was a little better than 5's too.

cackhyena

To the first bolded...really?

To the second. I'm not even sure how it's a question in your mind. SA was great for it's time but controls like dog shit in comparison. The graphical upgrade goes a long way toward atmosphere which also wipes the floor with SA to me. SA was the pinnacle before this game. Couldn't go back now. I haven't once felt the frustration I used to in certain SA missions.

The cops having simpleton radar instead of just being omnipresent is a godsend alone, man.

Derrick01

Banned
To the first bolded...really?

Yeah there's no question there. There are at least 20 garbage missions in GTA 5 where you do absolutely nothing or pretty much nothing but drive to a spot and do a quick little action. Stuff with mike's family and heist preparation missions (I stole a car and parked it in a safe spot and that counted as a full story mission). Most action missions still mostly revolve around killing a large group of people with almost nothing crazy or different added in between them to spice it up. It's not nearly as bad as IV where you had to do 90 missions like that but they haven't quite improved to SA's level yet. That game had more memorable missions.

To the second. I'm not even sure how it's a question in your mind. SA was great for it's time but controls like dog shit in comparison. The graphical upgrade goes a long way toward atmosphere which also wipes the floor with SA to me. SA was the pinnacle before this game. Couldn't go back now. I haven't once felt the frustration I used to in certain SA missions.

The cops having simpleton radar instead of just being omnipresent is a godsend alone, man.

It's a question for me because I don't care about immersion when it comes at the expense of gameplay. Like I said 5 doesn't have a big problem like GTA 4 did because there is a lot of fun things to do on the side and it does have some interesting missions but I think they still put a bit too much of a priority on realism and immersion over fun.

The cops coming after you for every single thing no matter where you are ruins any improvement they made to escaping them. I mean it's nice that they added line of sight to police so you can hide behind walls and corners but they seriously come after you for doing just about anything. You can't even dive out of a plane in the city without getting 1 star, I'm guessing because of the plane crashing and exploding.

cackhyena

It's true. I hope they add an element of anonymity to the next one. If you stealth kill someone with a silencer and no witnesses, you should hear about it on the radio, not see a star almost every time. I suppose that's striving for yet more realism, but I want that.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just beat story.
Spoilers:
i picked C. Glad no pro tags died. Need to do some side missions. If I would have chose A Or B would I have had to kill Mike or Trevor? Or does something else happen?

ending spoilers

just watched the other two endings.... Those seem real out of character for Franklin honestly. He would never kill Trevor. Michael would but not franklin and the Michael option feels dumb too..like why would he listen to Weston anyway...yeah those are very bad endings.

I actually like it. It was in character.
Michael wasn't his family, he just another employer to him.
Why risk his new found fortune, the very fortune he alienated his close friends from childhood & family to get.
Him calling Lamar at the end to get back with was a nice touch.

Top Bottom