• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

DukeSucks

I finally finished the game (loved it, wish I did a different option for last mission), and I want to mod my cars now.

How exactly do the garages/houses work? Do I have to park it back in my garage before quitting each session?

SJRB

Gold Member
I finally finished the game (loved it, wish I did a different option for last mission), and I want to mod my cars now.

How exactly do the garages/houses work? Do I have to park it back in my garage before quitting each session?

Oficially it is supposed to work like this: if you take a car out of your garage, drive around and abandon it somewhere it is supposed to spawn at the impound in Los Santos. There you can recover your car after paying a small fee of 250 bucks.

However, in reality the vehicle management system is completely broken. There is no way to be sure your car will end up at the impound, so in the end you have to actively park your car back at your own garage if you want to be sure you don't lose it. Which, considering what game this is, is fucking insane. Get busted? Car gone. Get killed? Car gone. Abandon your car for whatever reason? Car gone.

So I wouldn't recommend sinking tons of money into upgrading any other than the default car.

I would like to know what happens if you take one of the other options. I took
deathwish and kept everyone alive. is it actually possible to do it differently and if so, what happens? I'm going to replay the final mission iff possible to check it out, but I imagine that has.... long term effects

The blunt way the choices are presented is exactly how it will end up.
You will kill either Trevor or Michael, which will make him unplayable [because he's dead] and will cut off any sidemissions he still has left unfinished.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I would like to know what happens if you take one of the other options. I took
deathwish and kept everyone alive. is it actually possible to do it differently and if so, what happens? I'm going to replay the final mission iff possible to check it out, but I imagine that has.... long term effects

dyergram

The one thing i want from the next GTA is to be able to transport my vehicles. I still get sour every time i see one of those packer trucks. Why didn't Rockstar let us use those things? I hope they fix their physics engine to allow cars to be transported in our in other vehicles. I'm burnt that some of the cost things can only be done in missions and are absent in fee roam. Example is the cargo plane, the humane research labs, and other interior spaces.
I was disappointed I couldn't use the electro magnet chopper outside the missions wanted to drop a bus into the ocean. :(

Stampy

I have finished 24 main missions (I have stolen a submarine and am preparing for another FIB mission by stealing a garbage truck), and I have this overall feeling that I am not enjoying this game that much. The story is not that good (though characters are well established, but I am kind of getting bored by their caricature nature). The missions are generally well thought out, they are creative in the idea, but the gameplay is boring. I have a feeling that all I am doing is driving from one point to another on the map, starting a cutscene, then doing some more driving, and then doing a bit of obligatory gun shooting, which is also a bit bland in the gameplay department. Yes, the context is creative, but the mechanics feel clumsy. I am not feeling any challenge by the game itself to be that involved. Maybe my approach is wrong, I never do side mission so I don't know if those are where people have fun. I am trying to find motivation to finish it, but somehow I am being more attracted by other games I have yet to play. Basically, I hate the fact that this game has no puzzles, and that shooting and driving are kind of mediocre, while due to its mission structure the story does not feel in any way cohesive and immediate. The whole game just feels like an intentional overblown high budget way to waste your time. :(

Symphonia

Banned
So the weirdest thing just happened.

I completed the last mission and chose to kill Trevor. Thats fine, the credits roll, etc. I went back today to finish whatever side missions are left for Michael and Franklin. I notice that Franklin still has an 'F' at his safehouse. Its a mission involving rescuing Lamar with the help of Michael and...uh, Trevor? What? How? You would've thought Rockstar would cancel that mission out if you choose to kill Michael or Trevor before attempting that mission.

rjcc

I have finished 24 main missions (I have stolen a submarine and am preparing for another FIB mission by stealing a garbage truck), and I have this overall feeling that I am not enjoying this game that much. The story is not that good (though characters are well established, but I am kind of getting bored by their caricature nature). The missions are generally well thought out, they are creative in the idea, but the gameplay is boring. I have a feeling that all I am doing is driving from one point to another on the map, starting a cutscene, then doing some more driving, and then doing a bit of obligatory gun shooting, which is also a bit bland in the gameplay department. Yes, the context is creative, but the mechanics feel clumsy. I am not feeling any challenge by the game itself to be that involved. Maybe my approach is wrong, I never do side mission so I don't know if those are where people have fun. I am trying to find motivation to finish it, but somehow I am being more attracted by other games I have yet to play. Basically, I hate the fact that this game has no puzzles, and that shooting and driving are kind of mediocre, while due to its mission structure the story does not feel in any way cohesive and immediate. The whole game just feels like an intentional overblown high budget way to waste your time. :(

wtf did you buy this game for? no puzzles?

You can stop playing it now, it's not what you want.

You should probably try the side missions or seeing what else the world has to offer, but really why bother. If you don't like what it is, you cansell it used while you can still get some value.

SJRB

Gold Member
So the weirdest thing just happened.

I completed the last mission and chose to kill Trevor. Thats fine, the credits roll, etc. I went back today to finish whatever side missions are left for Michael and Franklin. I notice that Franklin still has an 'F' at his safehouse. Its a mission involving rescuing Lamar with the help of Michael and...uh, Trevor? What? How? You would've thought Rockstar would cancel that mission out if you choose to kill Michael or Trevor before attempting that mission.

It's probably the save bug that happened to some after the online part got patched in. The timeline of your missions is screwed, the rescue mission is supposed to happen before the final heist.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ending spoilers

Why even give a choice if it's just two "fuck-you" endings and then the real one?

cackhyena

This is hilarious to me on a bunch of levels, but two that stick out are, you wanting puzzles...like wtf? Second is that you consider the driving to be mediocre. I can't fathom some people's idea's of what constitutes "good" considering certain mechanics. I've played plenty of games with objectively worse driving. Like, way worse. Shooting isn't anything special (though far above previous titles) I'll give ya that.

Terra_Ex

Ending spoilers

Why even give a choice if it's just two "fuck-you" endings and then the real one?

I assumed it was just another way to give more perspective on the different characters.
For example killing Michael, you learn that Trevor won't go along with it and ultimately he pretty much turns on Franklin and calls him a traitor if you orchestrate a face to face in the game world after the mission. Likewise, Jimmy, Amanda etc all contact Franklin which underlines the strong relationships that exist under the volatile, feuding surface.

Likewise killing Trevor, you're given the strong hint that Trevor would, eventually let Michael's betrayal go (and since he considers Michael's family quite precious to him this ending confirms that Trevor no longer poses a direct, physical threat to Michael/his family) which contrasts with the irony that Franklin & Michael about to kill him (at least partially) for that reason.
Overall I just looked at it as a way to learn more about the characters true feelings that you probably wouldn't have gleaned otherwise. Bad "what-if" endings essentially.

Stampy

This is hilarious to me on a bunch of levels, but two that stick out are, you wanting puzzles...like wtf? Second is that you consider the driving to be mediocre. I can't fathom some people's idea's of what constitutes "good" considering certain mechanics. I've played plenty of games with objectively worse driving. Like, way worse. Shooting isn't anything special (though far above previous titles) I'll give ya that.

Yes, i want puzzles, but not in a sense of some hard core puzzle games (that would really be ridiculous), but more in a sense of figuring out what to do, or being more immersed in what is happening. I am just following the dots on the map. How much more disconnected can you be? My mental engagement in the game (in a sense of trying to understand obstacles and coming out with ideas how to overcome them) is zero .

My critique that driving is bad is not so much based on how the car itself handles, but just on what the driving really means in the game. It's basically just go to point A, B or C, while avoiding slow obstacles (other cars). Maybe other people find driving in this game fun, but to me it is just a time filler between missions or a hectic chase which resembles old arcade games with better handling.

My critique that driving is bad is not so much based on how the car itself handles, but just on what the driving really means in the game. It's basically just go to point A, B or C, while avoiding slow obstacles (other cars). Maybe other people find driving in this game fun, but to me it is just a time filler between missions or a hectic chase which resembles old arcade games with better handling.

Thats what driving is. You go from point A to B. Its a form of travelling. o_O

Not sure what you mean. Did you expect Typhoons or Godzilla to show up en route?

Finalow

just played a couple of hours online, not bad. I liked when somehow a jet with an amazing weapon just landed near me. (too bad I couldn't do shit with it)
is this random or I called it somehow? I also saw some guys call an helicopter for a mission but I have no clue on how to do that.

Stampy

Thats what driving is. You go from point A to B. Its a form of travelling. o_O

Not sure what you mean. Did you expect Typhoons or Godzilla to show up en route?

To be honest I didn't have any expectations. Driving is a large part of the game and I don't get some kind of excited feeling when I get in the car, but it's the usual type of feeling when I get in the car in real life and have to go to work or to shopping mall. Going from point A to point B in real life is not fun, neither does it work here. Yes, you can drive like mad here (which you do, because the game doesn't want to you to drive according to rules), but then driving becomes like some sort of a mini game, where you are just controlling a bulldozer type of a vehicle mowing down signs and pedestrians while trying to avoid other cars just so they don't slow you down, and then you will have to watch the irking animation where your car crashes and you try to get back on course in order to arrive to the destined point on the map. I get it that this is what traveling is, but to me it just isn't fun, because it is not challenging, but only cumbersome.

I wanted to enjoy the game for the story, but even that I find pretty lacking, even more when compared to shows like Wire, which I just recently watched. So I ended up with this struggle of constantly asking myself why am I giving this game so much time, although I would want to like it (in the end I bought it and had the best intentions to finish it).

Uhh, I don't know, maybe open world games are just not for me. :/

Bollocks

Finished it
The snow sections looked absolutely gorgeous, too bad it didn't last for long.
Here's hoping that the next GTA includes a proper winter setting or Read Dead.

Also it says that I have 1 mission left with Franklin, but nothing appears on the map?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You have to call Tanya I think.

Some of my favorite missions were actually the last
missions where you have to tie up loose ends. Being allowed to kill targets in any way you want was really cool. I followed Cheng on my motorcycle, and for some reason Franklin would not shoot and only give the finger when I tried to shoot while driving. Since I'm driving a motorcycle I can't ram the cars. So I just follow them and eventually see a tunnel ahead. I speed up like mad, slow-motion sharp u-turn, get off my bike, grab my RPG, let a civilian car pass by, and then aim at the front car. It explodes, Cheng's car stops right behind it, the third car moves around it and I blow it up, causing Cheng's car to blow up as well.
Awesome.

Or
throwing a sticky bomb at the Ferris wheel in which Steven was in. Too bad I couldn't see the explosion.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes, i want puzzles, but not in a sense of some hard core puzzle games (that would really be ridiculous), but more in a sense of figuring out what to do, or being more immersed in what is happening. I am just following the dots on the map. How much more disconnected can you be? My mental engagement in the game (in a sense of trying to understand obstacles and coming out with ideas how to overcome them) is zero .

This is amazing.

i'm not quite annoyed , almost angry but just disapointed ... no matter what i do i can't 100% this game.

Here what happenned ..i was playing solo and i was preparing the paleto score ... i was playing as trevor and then i saw a random event near a station service between cops and robbers. i decided to kill everyone to get the money even if it mean having to escape from the cops for a while ... during my showdown with the police , the moving trcuk for the mission "military hardware" arrived near my location AND the game mixed the 2 events !!
meaning that i had to escape my cops while having to get the truck ..why did the game do that ? no idea , was it bad luck ? no idea.

When i tried to escape the cops i couldn't , because i was getting "too far away from the truck" i got a on-screen warning ...again i never wanted to do that ... things got messy and in the end i died. trevor got out in the hospital , i lost a bit of money ...and i decided to switch to michael , in order to save quickly on a bed.

When i went back to GTA5 the next day , there was ( at the time ) the 1.01 patch .. knowing that online was messy i went offline...and i was greeted by michael on a couch sending lester a text saying that he got the hardware by himself. enabling me the paleto score heist.

At the time i didn't think much of it because i knew there was a mission replay ...except that the "military hardware" mission is required for 100% the game.... and that i didn't do it in my save , meaning that i can't replay it... meaning that i'm stuck with 68/69 mission on the rockstar social club website.

THIS SUCKS
it's required to 100% the game and if i wish to clear the game , well i need to restart my 50 hours progress from square one..
Well done me , well done freaking patch...

FireFly

I think the shooting could be more engaging, but otherwise the style of the game is to present you with as many "interesting events" as possible, within the relatively short timeframe of each mission.

If you allow more player agency, then you need to work out how to communicate possible solutions to the player, and you need to pre-program the other characters to also respond intelligently to each situation that may arise. That's a lot of work and would probably result in a substantial scaling back in other areas of the game. Unless you mean you want "puzzles" with preset solutions, like Portal; in which case that's a more reasonable expectation but you still have to incorporate it into the game's fiction, so it's not too contrived, and make it seem reasonable that the main character has time to stand around doing nothing.

I think the tradeoffs Rockstar made with GTA 5 are just not for you, and you should go and play Miasmata or something!

Finalow

loving these random moments when you switch to Trevor.
stuff like trying to flush a foot down the toilet, waking up in an island with dead bodies all over the place or waking up in some random place wearing a woman dress and while he's still drunk he says something like "if I find the fucking deer that pissed on me ...".

Montresor

It's been at least two in-game weeks and i still haven't received the invite to do the 5-mile walk in the desert for the Epsilon cult. Is my save bugged? I haven't received a call, text or email and there isn't an Epsilon icon on the minimap.

Wasp

i'm not quite annoyed , almost angry but just disapointed ... no matter what i do i can't 100% this game.

Here what happenned ..i was playing solo and i was preparing the paleto score ... i was playing as trevor and then i saw a random event near a station service between cops and robbers. i decided to kill everyone to get the money even if it mean having to escape from the cops for a while ... during my showdown with the police , the moving trcuk for the mission "military hardware" arrived near my location AND the game mixed the 2 events !!
meaning that i had to escape my cops while having to get the truck ..why did the game do that ? no idea , was it bad luck ? no idea.

When i tried to escape the cops i couldn't , because i was getting "too far away from the truck" i got a on-screen warning ...again i never wanted to do that ... things got messy and in the end i died. trevor got out in the hospital , i lost a bit of money ...and i decided to switch to michael , in order to save quickly on a bed.

When i went back to GTA5 the next day , there was ( at the time ) the 1.01 patch .. knowing that online was messy i went offline...and i was greeted by michael on a couch sending lester a text saying that he got the hardware by himself. enabling me the paleto score heist.

At the time i didn't think much of it because i knew there was a mission replay ...except that the "military hardware" mission is required for 100% the game.... and that i didn't do it in my save , meaning that i can't replay it... meaning that i'm stuck with 68/69 mission on the rockstar social club website.

THIS SUCKS
it's required to 100% the game and if i wish to clear the game , well i need to restart my 50 hours progress from square one..
Well done me , well done freaking patch...
Welcome to the club. For me it's the mission Hang Ten that has glitched. I never did the mission and it's not available to replay either.

LWQRVdZ.png

I sent a ticket to Rockstar support a week ago but so far they've ignored me.

As buggy as Assassin's Creed III was at least it never prevented me from reaching 100% in that game. So in that sense GTA V is buggier than Assassin's Creed III.

Andamo

Neo Member
So, I just bought the GTA V PS3 bundle. When I put GTA V in and tell it to play, it says I have to install version 1.03. The first time I did it, it said it was a 39 MB file and the download time kept increasing until it was over 2 hours. At that point, it failed and gave me an error code.

I verified that I could connect to the internet by signing into PSN and downloading the PSN store (which I checked for an update to see if I could download it that way).

Now every time I try to play GTA V and it tells me it has to download and install version 1.03, it just takes me to a black screen with nothing on it. I can't leave that screen and have to unplug the PS3 so that I can restart it.

Is my new PS3 shit?

rallaren

Took me 110 hours to realise why I don't like the radio music; There is nothing good from the 90s. I have liked some songs moderately but they are all pretty forgettable, save for some on Rebel.

Even if they're cringe worthy they would have fit in this game I think.

Even if the Welcome to LS theme wasn't to your liking, Tangerine Dream's work in the missions (all of them, really, but TD especially) is so much better than the flat silence of prior GTA's.
Yep, definitely. The score was great.

I was referring to the radio. In past games, it served to establish the cultural mood of the era and/or the cities.

But here it's just there for the most part. They tried to tie it in to they characters but it didn't work and the rest is inferior to what was in SA/IV. It was trying to be SA but didn't work.

The talk radio is abysmal. In 3 it's paced like proper talk radio, sure there are bits, but it's slower paced and feels organic. You have the interview, then a bunch of ads, announcements, etc. Chakra Attack is unlistenable for me. It's just loud and obnoxious. IV did a good job of talk radio pacing but it seems they had superior talent involved with Sudekis, Peretti, Norton, Hader, Patrice, etc. it's not a huge gripe but they also completely avoid podcasts again...

Also the DJs no longer have personalities. They're just glorified (celebrity) song announcers. There's an irony when R* seems to be avoiding commercial tracks but has celebs as DJs.

It just felt stale. A couple of bright spots though.

GQman2121

Banned
Military Hardware also vanished for me. Not sure when or why, but I remember seeing the moving letter on the map; did some other things with Franklin in the city; returned to Michael and the military truck was already behind Trevor's HQ.

Pretty shitty feeling to be this far into the campaign and have this happen. I have another save that's 15% in, but I don't want to risk using that for the 100% until this cleared up.

kurbaan

Banned
To be honest I didn't have any expectations. Driving is a large part of the game and I don't get some kind of excited feeling when I get in the car, but it's the usual type of feeling when I get in the car in real life and have to go to work or to shopping mall. Going from point A to point B in real life is not fun, neither does it work here. Yes, you can drive like mad here (which you do, because the game doesn't want to you to drive according to rules), but then driving becomes like some sort of a mini game, where you are just controlling a bulldozer type of a vehicle mowing down signs and pedestrians while trying to avoid other cars just so they don't slow you down, and then you will have to watch the irking animation where your car crashes and you try to get back on course in order to arrive to the destined point on the map. I get it that this is what traveling is, but to me it just isn't fun, because it is not challenging, but only cumbersome.

I wanted to enjoy the game for the story, but even that I find pretty lacking, even more when compared to shows like Wire, which I just recently watched. So I ended up with this struggle of constantly asking myself why am I giving this game so much time, although I would want to like it (in the end I bought it and had the best intentions to finish it).

Uhh, I don't know, maybe open world games are just not for me. :/

So agree with this. Some missions its like just drive here and then you drive for like 10 minutes while random cars try to occasionally cut you off. Especially a couple where its like fly helicopter here. So you are just slowly flying this thing on and on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
As buggy as Assassin's Creed III was at least it never prevented me from reaching 100% in that game. So in that sense GTA V is buggier than Assassin's Creed III.

I didn't get one bug playing this game, and actually had fun even doing side missions, which I usually never do.

Welcome to the club. For me it's the mission Hang Ten that has glitched. I never did the mission and it's not available to replay either.

I sent a ticket to Rockstar support a week ago but so far they've ignored me.

i looked around the net and found out that i'm not alone .. For me GTA 5 is over , untill the next patch ..then maybe i'll restart my save , no point collection all those parts now

it's a real shamead it seems it cant' be fixed

The good thing ? i was planning to clean up my save by getting 70 gold , so i was ready to replay the game a lot ...this just mean i would have to play the game again and put stats in all my characters..

The bad thing ? rockstar seems more focused on patching the multiplayer than letting people play solo in peace

Military Hardware also vanished for me. Not sure when or why, but I remember seeing the moving letter on the map; did some other things with Franklin in the city; returned to Michael and the military truck was already behind Trevor's HQ.

Pretty shitty feeling to be this far into the campaign and have this happen. I have another save that's 15% in, but I don't want to risk using that for the 100% until this cleared up.

At least you know in advance , glad i could help ... if the mission vanished and the story progressed , then you can't get 100%.

i dunno if this is worse or not that the bugged co-op missions in GTA4

Anson225

damn you guys should try hanging out between the 3 protags after the game
their convo is different and imo gives you a better insight about their relationship/what happened (esp between michael/trevor)

Just finished this game and after 50 hours I actually feel completely burned out on this. Buying properties, as fun as it is, does not warrant the purchase because it is all about stocks and waiting DAYS until you see your millions turn into billions, and I do not really have the free time on my hands to keep checking my portfolio. The world as a whole is mindblowing and only Rockstar can surpass themselves, but I give the better story to Red Dead Redemption because GTA V felt really rushed nearing the end.

Oh.. And I still need to do 28 Strangers and Freaks mission but I really do not feel compelled to do these because the one thing Rockstar did terrible is not reward you, the player, with anything that makes you feel the urge of completing every single mission that is available to you. Not even the damn Heist missions were worth your while, and those missions were mentioned as being in the same league as that movie 'Heat'.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay someone please tell me what the deal is with the three rednecks on atv/dirt bikes that ambush you out of nowhere when you drive just north of Los Santos city limits.

I killed them as Micheal, I killed them as Franklin but they keep popping up. The problem is that they all carry shotguns and I'm pretty much dead before I have a chance to react.

Finished SP today, definitely my favorite GTA sp campaign mostly because you can play/switch between 3 characters (and because one of them is Trevor). Can't imagine the next GTA being focused on one protagonist alone again.

Also, bought a capture card recently and made a helicopter roundtrip around the map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzaO6t1u-qM

Wasp

Okay someone please tell me what the deal is with the three rednecks on atv/dirt bikes that ambush you out of nowhere when you drive just north of Los Santos city limits.

I killed them as Micheal, I killed them as Franklin but they keep popping up. The problem is that they all carry shotguns and I'm pretty much dead before I have a chance to react.
I'm pretty sure it's a random event called Border Control. There's three of these events in three different locations in the countryside but apart from that they're identical.

I think if you kill them the random event is completed (you will see the saving icon) and they never spawn again, but if they kill you they will spawn again in a few days.

I found them annoying too. Killing them whilst sat in your car is almost impossible, but exiting your car takes quite a long time and they usually shoot me dead before I can pull out a weapon in time.

sikkinixx

Beat the game last night and I'm very mixed on how I feel about it.

Story wise
everything after Trevor finding out Michael's secret was shit. Their fighting was annoying and always resulted in "DAMN YA'LL JUST STOP FIGHTIN AND LETS DO THIS"from Franklin. The whole arc with Devin was crap and the game did very little to make me think he needs to be killed. The last mission too, the heist, while fun was INSANELY easy (I did the disguise path) and wholly unsatisfying. My highs were raised high when they listed the four main guys I would need to kill. Then crashing down when it was a 15 minute drive to point A shoot a rocket, drive to point B use sniper rifle, drive ti point C use a single rocker again, drive to D, kill 6 people and drive to the end. Felt like they just needed to finish up the game so they ripped the guts out of 4 missions and just slapped together something

Mission wise the game is just too easy. The heists, while cool, basically always went according to plan provided you used decent henchman, which would have been awesome IF the set ups actually required anything exciting. Get away cars were useless, and most of the prep involved stealing a vehicle/item to use. Only one mission that I can remember feeling a rush of relief after it was done, the "holy shit I made it" feeling.

And I have this feeling that all of Rockstar's effort will be dumped into online inside of meaty episodes like GTA IV.

And I have this feeling that all of Rockstar's effort will be dumped into online inside of meaty episodes like GTA IV.
Yep. It's much easier for them to make incremental upgrades and rake in money with the MMO model rather than make full sequel games.

I'm skeptical we'll see a GTA VI

Finished SP today, definitely my favorite GTA sp campaign mostly because you can play/switch between 3 characters (and because one of them is Trevor). Can't imagine the next GTA being focused on one protagonist alone again.
That's the thing though, this is Michael's game despite everything else.

You're essentially playing as his hired hands. Hired hands with a little backstory.

Yep. It's much easier for them to make incremental upgrades and rake in money with the MMO model rather than make full sequel games.

I'm skeptical we'll see a GTA VI

That's the thing though, this is Michael's game despite everything else.

You're essentially playing as his hired hands. Hired hands with a little backstory.

I thought that'd be the case beforehand, but I think it's as much about Trevor as it is Michael. Franklin only comes into the forefront towards the end.

Top Bottom