• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

NZNova

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm kinda blitzing through the story mode and leaving the side stuff alone (don't ask, it's just the way I do these things). Am I going to miss out on any of the side stuff if I do it this way, or can I go back and do pretty much everything after the main story is done?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah seeing their interaction throughout the game
Trevor liked Franklin that mission where he turns up out of the blue at your aunts house and you go on that rampage is hilarious.
I wish there were more missions like that with one character juxtaposed in the environment of another. The dialogue by Trevor in that bit is hilarious. And there's one bit near the end of the game:
"Central Families FOR LIFE!" or whatever he shouts as you're shooting away haha.

Would've been interesting to see more Franklin in the countryside for instance with a racist angle or something. Hell even Michael could've got grief for that "Di Santa" and Trevor kind of does lol.

DjRoomba

Banned
The A, B, C mission seemed at least to me, to come out of nowhere. I was playing through the game and all of a sudden it was the final mission and out of nowhere that guy wanted Franklin to off one of the main characters.
Was it just me? Or did the game end pretty suddenly..

Bollocks

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm kinda blitzing through the story mode and leaving the side stuff alone (don't ask, it's just the way I do these things). Am I going to miss out on any of the side stuff if I do it this way, or can I go back and do pretty much everything after the main story is done?

No, you can do everything post game.
However if you pick up stranges, some give you a benefit e.g.
heist crew members with awesome stats and low cuts, like 6%

NZNova

No, you can do everything post game.
However if you pick up stranges, some give you a benefit e.g.
heist crew members with awesome stats and low cuts, like 6%

Okay, thanks.

Gotta say,
"Did somebody say yoga?"
is my favourite mission so far. Hilarious :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
On my way to 100%, currently around 95% but I think my game has glitched. I had another Kifflom mission for michael and I saw the blip up around Zancudo a while back. But now that I'm actually getting around to doing these missions it's not there any more. I wonder if I got hit by the online save bug? Does anyone know if this mission is time-of-day sensitive?

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Indeed, he sounds like a whiny bitch. "Like the game way less" because the dude you chose to kill died? Lolwut?

I just think the whole decision was handled in a really sloppy way and detracted from the story. I'm not disappointed because I killed Trevor, I'm disappointed because I don't think their should have been a choice. In the end it's my fault for over thinking the situation, but I still don't see what's wrong with just wanting a concrete ending to the story without this random choice tacked on.

So the gf has one of those 4GB 360's. We got a 32 GB usb key. Installed the game there and played off the play disc. But then it crashes and we get the unreadable error.

Was wondering if you can install both discs to the USB?

You can, but performance will not be optimal, since the data bandwidth will be limited. It would be better to install in different USB sticks, one per disc.

I see, so to negate the disc entirely it might be better to install a hard drive for the install and put the play on the USB?

I'm having trouble finishing the jogging race with the angry female jogger - is this something I need to level up for? (I've literally only just got the second character).
At least I realised you can tap X to run, before that I'd just been holding it down to go faster on foot! (The button mapping is horrible btw)

Also are there any missions where if you give up they are never available after that? I gave up on jogging after three tries thinking it wasn't an important quest, but I then saw it on the map again later, so I guess it's OK to quit tasks?

daviyoung

Banned
I'm having trouble finishing the jogging race with the angry female jogger - is this something I need to level up for? (I've literally only just got the second character).
At least I realised you can tap X to run, before that I'd just been holding it down to go faster on foot!

Also are there any missions where if you give up they are never available after that? I gave up on jogging after three tries thinking it wasn't an important quest, but I then saw it on the map again later, so I guess it's OK to quit tasks?

No need to level up. Just tap like you're playing International Track and Field. It's not a mandatory mission.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god damn I just did the 3rd triathalon.

I'd like to punch a guy at rockstar for that garbage.

great game though, I guess I'm going to have to get a faq now though, because I'm missing about 8 strangers and freaks missions apparently, is there some kind of way to find out how to trigger them? Also franklin has a mysterious '1' by his face, but NOTHING to do.

Also, I bought a tank, where does that get delivered?

SJRB

Gold Member
So I work 10 hours a day. I come home, cook and eat something, fire up my PS3 and take my virtual dog for a virtual walk down the virtual beach enjoying a virtual sunset. Then I take the dog home, drive around the desert for a bit, turn off my PS3 and go to bed.

GTAV is just such an amazing game. Everytime I play I am just fully engrossed in the game world, it's just so expertly crafted. Take the Vinewood Hills for example - not a single copy-paste, every single building is unique and filled with detail. Everytime I drive through the Vinewood Hills on my way to Franklin's house I think to myself "Damn I want to live here".

Over 70 hours played. This is crazy, man.

eival

KTl8V7x.jpg

Damn, I'm an idiot; all this time and I had no clue Tangerine Dream did the main soundtrack. They were my favorite electronic group for a long time; their movie soundtracks are godly. I thought the music sounded familiar during the "We were set up" mission, but couldn't put two together until now. Nice collab with DJ Shadow and the boys!

Guys I know you want to get on that Chop Party too but real talk...

That party is full of girls who smell like shit and dudes who puff puff keep.

The
option C
ending was the most
obvious
, but to me felt the most
anticlimactic, because no one you care outside of the three protagonists, dies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think my SP game has definitely bugged out. I hadn't noticed for a while because I was playing so much MP but each of my characters had a strangers and freaks mission on the map, and now they don't. Shit. There goes the 100% completion that I'd put over 80 hours into. I did the knife flights and stunt jumps FFS!

I don't even know if this is fixable, but it should be. I can see on Social Club that I've not done those missions, but they simply aren't available to play.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think my SP game has definitely bugged out. I hadn't noticed for a while because I was playing so much MP but each of my characters had a strangers and freaks mission on the map, and now they don't. Shit. There goes the 100% completion that I'd put over 80 hours into. I did the knife flights and stunt jumps FFS!

I don't even know if this is fixable, but it should be. I can see on Social Club that I've not done those missions, but they simply aren't available to play.

have you checked the faqs etc? some must be triggered with a text or call sometimes. I'm about to start my run on getting 100% and I'm really hoping this is a resolvable thing or I don't have the problem...

I see, so to negate the disc entirely it might be better to install a hard drive for the install and put the play on the USB?

Yep. See, the game is optimized to read from 2 sources, and counting HDD/USB/disc, disc has the slowest read speed. Installing both discs should improve pop-in and reduce load times (and also reduce tear/wear on the disc drive).

And you can have the Install content on the USB and the Play content on the HDD, I think that way is faster.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
have you checked the faqs etc? some must be triggered with a text or call sometimes. I'm about to start my run on getting 100% and I'm really hoping this is a resolvable thing or I don't have the problem...

YEah I thought about this, but before the missions were definitely on my map and now they're not. Kifflom for Michael out by the army base (still have a txt referencing it), the last Real Estate mission for Trev and the last Pulling Favours for Frank.

Makes me a sad panda. Will be the first R* game that I haven't 100%'d :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The final triathlon... wow. More than a half hour of button bashing. Thank god I won, imagine having to do that again.

Is there a list somewhere of GTA IV characters/references in V? So far I've got

- Packie talking about the 3 leaf clover heist if you recruit him as a member, and his experiences in gta iv in
- Lester talking about 'some eastern european guy' making moves in LC
- Klebitz in one of the most memorable moments of the game
- Apparently Brucie's on some site somewhere

RaikuHebi

Banned
I just think the whole decision was handled in a really sloppy way and detracted from the story. I'm not disappointed because I killed Trevor, I'm disappointed because I don't think their should have been a choice. In the end it's my fault for over thinking the situation, but I still don't see what's wrong with just wanting a concrete ending to the story without this random choice tacked on.
Don't get me wrong, it definitely felt rushed. They should've fleshed out the intricacies of the character relationships a bit more. At least it would've meant something then.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The final triathlon... wow. More than a half hour of button bashing. Thank god I won, imagine having to do that again.

- Packie talking about the 3 leaf clover heist if you recruit him as a member, and his experiences in gta iv in
I almost got overtaken on the last stretch, made sure to position myself in front of 2nd place so he couldn't overtake. My hand was cramped after that.

Nico is on Lifeinvader and you can see Jimmy on the page on his laptop.
Lester mentions some Eastern European who's dissappeared when they're talking about getting a crew together
Nico's girlfriend is the agent that rapes that guy you kidnap for the FIB
That guy that runs the newspaper in GTAIV is another agent
Bahama Mama's West, Gay Tony's club
Rocco, an Italian mobster in Gay Tony, appears in this as a director. You kill him. There are even NPC girls that mention him.
There is an Italian girl you rescue in a random event, daughter of an Alderney mobster who is probably from GTAIV but I can't remember
. Incidentally I'm glad there wasn't any Italian Mafia, I find it boring.

I reckon Simeon was influenced by Amir in Gay Tony. Shame Amir didn't appear in this. Could've made some jokes about the desert, religiosity and abuse of immigrants reminding him of home.

Also wish there were some Chinatown wars references with the Triads. (and that there were more missions involving them).

EDIT: Oops unintended double post.

Anybody find the
underwater
sections could almost function as their own game? It's like my favourite part of the game.

So fellas for
scuba/submarine missions: is it just the one set of scuba missions from the dock you purchase to fetch the sub pieces, then the submarine missions to find the nuclear waste? Anything else you can do underwater wise? If so - kind disappointed, i guess I figured there'd be a whole bunch, kind of seems like a waste of dev effort to build this wonderful underwater world then underuse it like that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
YEah I thought about this, but before the missions were definitely on my map and now they're not. Kifflom for Michael out by the army base (still have a txt referencing it), the last Real Estate mission for Trev and the last Pulling Favours for Frank.

Makes me a sad panda. Will be the first R* game that I haven't 100%'d :(

my pulling favours one is missing for franklin and I looked that up and it says you have to call tonya? I was going to try tonight. franklin has a suspicious looking 1 over his face in the character swap and nothing on the map, so I'm fearful :/

RaikuHebi

Banned
Anybody find the
underwater
sections could almost function as their own game? It's like my favourite part of the game.

So fellas for
scuba/submarine missions: is it just the one set of scuba missions from the dock you purchase to fetch the sub pieces, then the submarine missions to find the nuclear waste? Anything else you can do underwater wise? If so - kind disappointed, i guess I figured there'd be a whole bunch, kind of seems like a waste of dev effort to build this wonderful underwater world then underuse it like that.
That's it. Indeed, the way they marketed it made it seem much more in-depth. (like a lot of stuff with the game).

my pulling favours one is missing for franklin and I looked that up and it says you have to call tonya? I was going to try tonight. franklin has a suspicious looking 1 over his face in the character swap and nothing on the map, so I'm fearful :/
Don't worry it'll appear eventually. Just do stuff with the other characters and switch back later. I had the same thing.

cripterion

Well after reflection, while the game was definitely better than GTAIV, I somehow preferred the Liberty City setting... Nothing will beat out the magic of doing online races and listening to the Vibe98.8 radio. I don't think I will clock nowhere near as much time on GTAV as I did with the previous one.

Liberty City was a more interesting place than Los Santos. LS has too few landmarks and the road network is too convoluted (fooling the in-car GPS on many occasions). The deserts are nice though.

Bailey 87

Marnie from Epilson, is a side character in GTAIV. In GTAIV she is a drug addict that Niko helps out, and takes to the airport, where I guess she flies to San Andreas to be spiritual awakened :p

RaikuHebi

Banned
Liberty City was a more interesting place than Los Santos. LS has too few landmarks and the road network is too convoluted (fooling the in-car GPS on many occasions). The deserts are nice though.
I thought LC was bland and boring. A depressing place.

Los Santos is just so full of colour and life in comparison!

rallaren

Problem: None of my random ecounters trigger on any char, same with the last
Epsilon tract collecting
mission. I have checked all text messages, emails and called all contacts ( i think..).

Played this game for 60+ hours and I only just noticed Mr Raspberry Jam attached to the front of Trevor's truck for the last part of the game.
It's there after T takes
over the strip club
iirc.

taybul

Ending spoilers:

Picking C was a no-brainer for me just in case I wanted to get 100%, not to mention I wouldn't want to lose anybody for the post-game. I figured that your attempt to kill someone would fail horribly and you end up in the final firefight with everyone alive. This doesn't sound like the case. When you choose to off either Michael or Trevor, are they really unavailable after the credits run?

E92 M3

Ending spoilers:

Picking C was a no-brainer for me just in case I wanted to get 100%, not to mention I wouldn't want to lose anybody for the post-game. I figured that your attempt to kill someone would fail horribly and you end up in the final firefight with everyone alive. This doesn't sound like the case. When you choose to off either Michael or Trevor, are they really unavailable after the credits run?

They are killed permanently and disabled from the game.

Top Bottom