• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I was terrified of that on that piece of shit race. on the run to the finish line the computer started doing one of their magical speed bursts, thought I was going to get passed. came first, yelled 'fuck you rockstar'

also, you know that 20 minutes you lost? that was 2/3rds of the race. you still have a full 10 mins after that.

Literally the only part of the game I didn't like and I really didn't like it. I fucking hated that stupid triathlon god damnit.

I was afraid of that. I don't know if I can be bothered trying it again.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh shit. I edited. Anyway, I think I'm completely screwed. Not sure if it's a glitch or what........

EDIT: Hold on a sec, can you buy helicopters in the game? Maybe I should just buy one?

You can buy civilian type helicopters on the Elitas Travel website, and military type helicopters on the military website (unlocks after finishing the game).

question regarding the massive ending spoilers

it's actually possible to completely murder either michael or trevor and have them forever unavailable? I thought that would be a sort of failed attempt or something, why would anyone take that option? Doesn't it essentially fuck your save over if you've got missing missions?

Whichever you choose is gone forever, and so is any unfinished business along with it.

bud

just finished it.

i went with option c (because i'm a bro). it was a decent ending, but i thought it was all kind of anti-climactic.

i do think it's best gta yet, though. vice city has a better soundtrack, but this city feels much more alive, and there's a lot of stuff to do.

GlamFM

Banned
just finished it.

i went with option c (because i'm a bro). it was a decent ending, but i thought it was all kind of anti-climactic.

i do think it's best gta yet, though. vice city has a better soundtrack, but this city feels much more alive, and there's a lot of stuff to do.

I think there is hope the next GTA will be set in Vice City. Why not set it in the 80s or early 90s again? Do it R*!

E92 M3

just finished it.

The VC soundtrack is unprecedented - and that includes the commercials! I'd pay $20 dollars for the VC radio stations DLC lol. That said, the radio stations are definitely starting to grow on me, in this iteration.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
20 minutes in a stupidly long triathlon, asshole makes me go wide around a corner on the bike and I hit a pedestrian. Race forfeit. 20-fucking-minutes.

Hold me.

I did it. I fucking did it!

Lick my balls Rockstar, you fuckers.

Is it just me or most of these Strangers and freaks missions are just a poor mans version of saints row activities? Its like they tried to get the same tyoe of humour in them but they just feel.....flat especially
The alien stuff

Grinchy

Banned
just finished it.

Yeah I felt the same way about the ending.
I didn't actually want to kill Trevor or Michael, so I naturally just chose the third option. I didn't even realize at the time that I was choosing my ending. I went on the next mission and when it all ended, I was shocked to see the credits rolling. I kept thinking there would be some kind of resolution between Michael and Trevor, as opposed to the "we'll just agree to be fucked up friends who hate each other" angle.

That's not a complaint, though. I liked it a lot too.

Is the Epsilon robes required to be worn for 10 straight days and not really 10 total days? I aosked because I've worn my robes for 6 straight, someone invited me online, when I came back mike changed clothes. I put the robes back on, sleep for like 5 straight times then a notification popped that I've worn my robes for 1 day. Wtf

Is the Epsilon robes required to be worn for 10 straight days and not really 10 total days? I aosked because I've worn my robes for 6 straight, someone invited me online, when I came back mike changed clothes. I put the robes back on, sleep for like 5 straight times then a notification popped that I've worn my robes for 1 day. Wtf

Yeah its ten straight days. Just save your game like 40 times and you'll get there.

rallaren

100& and
The Last One
done.
Sort of underwhelming.
Does anything new happen with the game now?

And the random events still don't trigger.

Been listening to the original score more this week, and goddamn is it good.

I think this is my favourite track - North Yankton Memories.

That's a great choice. I really like:

You Forget a Thousand Things
The Grip
No Happy Endings

A bunch of others as well. It's all so good.

EDIT: Oh, and the person uploading the Dynamic Score part of the soundtrack has ADDED THE WANTED LEVEL THEMES. I'll take all I can get. There's some overlap with the Official Score, but again, they're mixed as heard in the game.

Yeah I felt the same way about the ending.
I didn't actually want to kill Trevor or Michael, so I naturally just chose the third option. I didn't even realize at the time that I was choosing my ending. I went on the next mission and when it all ended, I was shocked to see the credits rolling. I kept thinking there would be some kind of resolution between Michael and Trevor, as opposed to the "we'll just agree to be fucked up friends who hate each other" angle.

That's not a complaint, though. I liked it a lot too.

You can have Michael and Trevor hang out after the final mission and they make amends. It's not a great conclusion or anything, but it does provide some closure.

Why the hell did they remove cinematic view from taxis rides?

They left out that and the first person passenger view. they're such small additions, but they're also the only thing that makes sitting through a taxi ride at all worthwhile. That and being able to do drive-bys from the backseat while riding.

Well this is fun, both Trevor's missions "Nervous Ron" and the first Chinese mission are glitched. Nervous Rons mission the lights disappear when I'm supposed to shoot them and the Chinese one I get stuck in the doorway and it won't let me move. Wtf.

So, I switched to Trevor and he was holding a homeless man over his head and then threw him over the bridge...

Pretty sure that it was
a member of the Lost
but yeah that's still a hilarious part of the game.

Those random moments were awesome outside of the constant fucking clothes changing.

Well I started back from an earlier save and got the Chinese mission to work. After that I tried the nervous Ron mission again and same issues. Not sure what the hell is going on. Am I screwed? I assume his missions are required?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Triple edit. Stupid phone.

My game now constantly freezes at some point during a mission for
Devin

Tried it like five times, and a side mission, and another character but no dice.

Ok guys, I have a question.

I was on my way to do a Strangers and Freaks mission with Trevor last night and on my way there I stopped to jack a car I saw that I liked more than the one I was driving. For some reason the cops got all upset and I got a 2 star police thingie, but none the less I just drove away in the car.

When i reached the place where the Strangers and Freaks mission was supposed to activate, I still had the 2 stars and when I got out of the car this cop shows up and shoots at me. So I shot him back and killed him.

After i finally hid there for a minute and lost my stars the Strangers and Freaks icon disappeared and Trevor shows with no available missions anymore. Is it possible to kill a strangers and freaks mission dude and then totally miss out on doing the mission? Will that affect my 100%?

I even quit the game totally and reloaded and still, the Strangers and Freaks mission is still gone.

What's the deal here? o_O

Pretty sure that it was
a member of the Lost
but yeah that's still a hilarious part of the game.

Those random moments were awesome outside of the constant fucking clothes changing.

srsly, the cloathes changing is kinda pissing me off :p

especially Trevor in just his underwear :lol

malfcn

Finished it. Picked C. Ending was easy and meh.

The game was great though. The world is huge, quite a bit is still unexplored. I swear I suck at following stories, or once again play when I am half asleep. A few of the plot lines got lost over multiple nights.

Next Gen GTA will be pure insanity.

Dead Man

I was on my way to do a Strangers and Freaks mission with Trevor last night and on my way there I stopped to jack a car I saw that I liked more than the one I was driving. For some reason the cops got all upset and I got a 2 star police thingie, but none the less I just drove away in the car.

When i reached the place where the Strangers and Freaks mission was supposed to activate, I still had the 2 stars and when I got out of the car this cop shows up and shoots at me. So I shot him back and killed him.

After i finally hid there for a minute and lost my stars the Strangers and Freaks icon disappeared and Trevor shows with no available missions anymore. Is it possible to kill a strangers and freaks mission dude and then totally miss out on doing the mission? Will that affect my 100%?

I even quit the game totally and reloaded and still, the Strangers and Freaks mission is still gone.

Some of the stranger missions only show at certain times of day, you might have rolled over to the unavailable time while you were wanted.

I'm just about to do the final
heist mission, "The Big One"
, and I'm 80% completed. I've collected all of the letter scraps, all of the submarine parts and nuclear waste barrels, and today I just collected the last alien ship part and I'm queued up to do the
Omega mission associated with that.

For some reason, it tells me Franklin has 3 active missions available in the character selection wheel (I'm pretty sure that's what those numbers over the character icons have meant all along; how many missions a given character has available at any one time?), yet I can't see anything on the map for him. Outside of the
last heist
and the
Omega mission
I've mentioned, there's nothing.

In my 100% completion checklist, it also says I still have 5 Strangers and Freaks missions to left to do, and there still seems to be a lot of miscellaneous things left.

So to bring all of this into focus in the form of a question; are there things that open up once the last main story mission is completed? Any loose ends and other Strangers and Freaks things pop up after the fact?

Dead Man

I'm just about to do the final
heist mission, "The Big One"
, and I'm 80% completed. I've collected all of the letter scraps, all of the submarine parts and nuclear waste barrels, and today I just collected the last alien ship part and I'm queued up to do the
Omega mission associated with that.

For some reason, it tells me Franklin has 3 active missions available in the character selection wheel (I'm pretty sure that's what those numbers over the character icons have meant all along; how many missions a given character has available at any one time?), yet I can't see anything on the map for him. Outside of the
last heist
and the
Omega mission
I've mentioned, there's nothing.

In my 100% completion checklist, it also says I still have 5 Strangers and Freaks missions to left to do, and there still seems to be a lot of miscellaneous things left.

So to bring all of this into focus in the form of a question; are there things that open up once the last main story mission is completed? Any loose ends and other Strangers and Freaks things pop up after the fact?
There is a mission that can only be started by calling (stranger mission spoilers)
Tonya who will give you a tow mission then there will be a couple more that show up on the map after that for her I think.

There is a mission that can only be started by calling (stranger mission spoilers)
Tonya who will give you a tow mission then there will be a couple more that show up on the map after that for her I think.

So, wait, those are some of the first ones I did for her as Franklin. You're saying I can call her to request more? I just stopped doing them after her initial stopped popping up on the map...waaayyy back at the beginning of the game (some 85 hours of play time ago).

That's a great choice. I really like:

You Forget a Thousand Things
The Grip
No Happy Endings

A bunch of others as well. It's all so good.

EDIT: Oh, and the person uploading the Dynamic Score part of the soundtrack has ADDED THE WANTED LEVEL THEMES. I'll take all I can get. There's some overlap with the Official Score, but again, they're mixed as heard in the game.

Does anyone know the name of the track that plays when
Michael is driving to the cemetery
?

Lego Boss

Was it a grass roots mission with Franklin? If so, losing the cops is part of the deal, but it still should have unlocked some additional content after that, (look for big blue circles on your map)

Lint21

Neo Member
So, GTA V is out on Ondemand now -- if anyone of you purchase it, can you please post your performance findings here?

I just picked it up since I have a bunch of MS points I need to use. It's going to take quite a while to download though - initial download is 7.63GB, with an additional post-install download of roughly the same size.

E92 M3

I just picked it up since I have a bunch of MS points I need to use. It's going to take quite a while to download though - initial download is 7.63GB, with an additional post-install download of roughly the same size.

Awesome - keep us posted. I am excited for your findings.

Sure thing. I haven't been closely following all the GTA V performance stuff - what should I be looking for? Just the pop-in like in that Digital Foundry video?

Largely pop in and texture draw. Also, FPS when you're in the northern section of the map on the highway.

The game runs noticeably worse if you install everything to 1 hard drive with the retail game. I'm interested to see if it's the same with the Digital version of the game.

Seems like the best approach on 360:
- Retail
- Install mandatory disc to the HDD
- Install secondary disc to a USB 3.0, high-transfer rate USB stick
- Save games to the 2GB or 4GB of internal memory

I have two 360s that I've played the game on at home. One of them has that optimal install, the other does just th mandatory install + running off of disc. I'm not a person who really notices frame drops and texture issues, but even I noticed the difference playing between the two.

E92 M3

Largely pop in and texture draw. Also, FPS when you're in the northern section of the map on the highway.

The game runs noticeably worse if you install everything to 1 hard drive with the retail game. I'm interested to see if it's the same with the Digital version of the game.

Seems like the best approach on 360:
- Retail
- Install mandatory disc to the HDD
- Install secondary disc to a USB 3.0, high-transfer rate USB stick
- Save games to the 2GB or 4GB of internal memory

I have two 360s that I've played the game on at home. One of them has that optimal install, the other does just th mandatory install + running off of disc. I'm not a person who really notices frame drops and texture issues, but even I noticed the difference playing between the two.

First time I heard of this -- what does it improve?

Lint21

Neo Member
So far for the on demand version:

- After the initial large download, it downloaded 4 install packages, each slightly under 2GB.
- The initial load from dashboard to the opening robbery sequence took just under 2 minutes.
- Quitting the game and then re-loading from dashboard to opening sequence took less time - about 68 seconds.
- Everything seemed fine through the initial robbery and getaway sequence.
- During the cinematic that played after MIchael was talking to his shrink, severe pop-in was observed. Objects on the beach appeared from no where, the ferris wheel popped in when at a distance, etc. It looked like what I remember from the DF video.

I'm no expert, but it certainly appears that the downloadable 360 version suffers from the same issues that others have been plagued by.

Lint21

Neo Member
Alright, saw some pretty bad texture draw during the car scene with Franklin. For example, I thought I was heading for a dark tunnel into a parking garage, but when I was pretty close, it turned out to be a closed garage door.

The striking thing for me is really just how the game looks. To be fair, I'm coming from GTA 4 on PC, which I played a week ago with Icenhancer and the Improved City Textures mod. Compared to that, this looks.. like something I don't want to play. It's all grainy, looks low-res, and the framerate isn't great. It kind of looks like a compressed Youtube video. It looks ok for a 360 game I guess, but I think I might wait for the PC release to really play it. I don't care about the wasted money since I had a bunch of points I needed to spend, but I don't think I would recommend it to others.

E92 M3

So far for the on demand version:

- After the initial large download, it downloaded 4 install packages, each slightly under 2GB.
- The initial load from dashboard to the opening robbery sequence took just under 2 minutes.
- Quitting the game and then re-loading from dashboard to opening sequence took less time - about 68 seconds.
- Everything seemed fine through the initial robbery and getaway sequence.
- During the cinematic that played after MIchael was talking to his shrink, severe pop-in was observed. Objects on the beach appeared from no where, the ferris wheel popped in when at a distance, etc. It looked like what I remember from the DF video.

I'm no expert, but it certainly appears that the downloadable 360 version suffers from the same issues that others have been plagued by.

Alright, saw some pretty bad texture draw during the car scene with Franklin. For example, I thought I was heading for a dark tunnel into a parking garage, but when I was pretty close, it turned out to be a closed garage door.

The striking thing for me is really just how the game looks. To be fair, I'm coming from GTA 4 on PC, which I played a week ago with Icenhancer and the Improved City Textures mod. Compared to that, this looks.. like something I don't want to play. It's all grainy, looks low-res, and the framerate isn't great. It kind of looks like a compressed Youtube video. It looks ok for a 360 game I guess, but I think I might wait for the PC release to really play it. I don't care about the wasted money since I had a bunch of points I needed to spend, but I don't think I would recommend it to others.

If I were you, I would call Xbox and get a refund -- that is unacceptable.

TTG

Decided to load it up for the first time this week... Finally got away from a 5 star wanted rating without getting out of a car! I ended up parked in an alley, blue and red lights flashing by as they searched the parking lot adjacent to me, searchlights from the chopper on the walls above. It was close. I could have stayed in a parking lot earlier, but it felt a little like cheating.

Has anyone been able to do it without parking in an alley/side street/parking lot? I can lose the trail fairly consistently, but it's always in a bad spot. Limited escape options and they eventually spot me.

Alright something absolutely awesome happened.

So I was riding an ATV, when I managed to hit somebody with it, which would be their car. So I was trying to go up to the mountains on it, but the guy actually chased after me up the steep hill, and my ATV wasn't powerful enough to make it up that hill. He had a gun and was going to shoot me, so I tried to get away. But fell of of it, and fell on the other side of the train tracks, with the car on the other side. After he tried racing over to the other side in order to kill me, the train hit him, and the car exploded and he burned to death.

How did that happen.

Top Bottom