• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ending spoilers:

Picking C was a no-brainer for me just in case I wanted to get 100%, not to mention I wouldn't want to lose anybody for the post-game. I figured that your attempt to kill someone would fail horribly and you end up in the final firefight with everyone alive. This doesn't sound like the case. When you choose to off either Michael or Trevor, are they really unavailable after the credits run?
100% isn't affected, but completing the checklist on R* social club is (though I suppose you can just start a new save file).

I've been playing a good few hours now, and I'm still not sure how to get missions.

So I have Franklin and Michael, and they both have a number on their icons, so they have missions available I get that - but the missions screen on the start menu says I have nothing, so how do I know where I need to go in order to start them, or trigger more?

Have to admit I find the menu system incredibly confusing. And the phone is too, so I get text messages, so what - can I delete them once I've read them, do they trigger missions too, I don't see any option to reply?

I've been playing a good few hours now, and I'm still not sure how to get missions.

So I have Franklin and Michael, and they both have a number on their icons, so they have missions available I get that - but the missions screen on the start menu says I have nothing, so how do I know where I need to go in order to start them, or trigger more?

Have to admit I find the menu system incredibly confusing. And the phone is too, so I get text messages, so what - can I delete them once I've read them, do they trigger missions too, I don't see any option to reply?

If there are numbers, maybe you're looking in the wrong areas on the map? Or is it when they need to lie low? Go burn some time doing activities.

If there are numbers, maybe you're looking in the wrong areas on the map? Or is it when they need to lie low? Go burn some time doing activities.
What is on the map that tells me where the missions are?

There's the map, then a list of things down the right hand side are these missions? They seem to be things like 'Fairground', 'Franklin', 'Petrol Station' - Are they missions or just sights to see?

Wasp

Over 70 hours played. This is crazy, man.
Yeah I too have played the game for a little over 70 hours so far, on single player alone.

And wow those 70 hours have really flown by. I don't think I've ever played a game where the hours have gone by so fast.

If I had spent 70 hours on a JRPG or WRPG I would be fed up of the sight of it by now, but with GTA V I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

-MB-

I bought the downtown cab company as Franklin, but for some reason, after I accidentally cancelled a plea for helping out, i got some mail from them not being happy, and ever since all calls to them end up busy and I get no property management missions from them anymore.
Anyone else had that too?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Where does one get a taser in this game? I killed some one star wanted level cops, but to no avail :(
Ammu-nation says out of stock.

TideTime

Brutally long, wasn't it? ;-)

That triathlon was nuts. I thought I was committing myself to another 4 min race. I also found the opponents much more competitive throughout versus the other races. If I had lost that race that would have been it, no way I'd be redoing it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What is on the map that tells me where the missions are?

There's the map, then a list of things down the right hand side are these missions? They seem to be things like 'Fairground', 'Franklin', 'Petrol Station' - Are they missions or just sights to see?

Green Icon - Franklin Mission
Blue Icon - Michael Mission
Orange Icon - *Redacted*

Blowing my mind that you cannot find a mission.

Green Icon - Franklin Mission
Blue Icon - Michael Mission
Orange Icon - *Redacted*

Blowing my mind that you cannot find a mission.
Right thanks. The map system and briefing missions screens just seemed to go against each other. The map has things marked on it but doesn't tell you if it's a particular mission or just a place of interest (like a barbers etc), and the missions briefing page says no missions - It's not very intuitive to me at least.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
20 minutes in a stupidly long triathlon, asshole makes me go wide around a corner on the bike and I hit a pedestrian. Race forfeit. 20-fucking-minutes.

Hold me.

0_0.jpg

Recoil

> Goes into a liquor store
> Pulls out a gun, shoots a random bottle of beer, it shatters sending glass shards everywhere
> Shoots a random box of pisswasser, and beer flows out of the bullethole for a couple seconds
> Continue shooting, realize the individual beer boxes in the whole stack are all real, physics-affected objects.

This, in a gigantic open world where in literally any other game, these assets would have been completely static.

Christ almighty, the detail in this game continues to shock me.

eival

i like that no matter if you set the audio to retain radio and turn off the voice boost it still lowers it during the dialog.

so now i have to stream the radio stations thru spotify so i can actually drown out the mundane dialog trying to enjoy replaying the campaign

malfcn

Bah, I just remembered. Was there anything I should have invested in before the big Score? I have saved all the Lester missions thus far. I heard some rumbling about AUG.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
20 minutes in a stupidly long triathlon, asshole makes me go wide around a corner on the bike and I hit a pedestrian. Race forfeit. 20-fucking-minutes.

Hold me.

I was terrified of that on that piece of shit race. on the run to the finish line the computer started doing one of their magical speed bursts, thought I was going to get passed. came first, yelled 'fuck you rockstar'

also, you know that 20 minutes you lost? that was 2/3rds of the race. you still have a full 10 mins after that.

Literally the only part of the game I didn't like and I really didn't like it. I fucking hated that stupid triathlon god damnit.

Bah, I just remembered. Was there anything I should have invested in before the big Score? I have saved all the Lester missions thus far. I heard some rumbling about AUG.

after big score if you've still got all lester missions, you'll be able to afford a golf course don't worry. you get mad rich. I think I had.... one lester mission left and ended with 70 mill or something on each character. with 5missions you should have LOADS.

EDIT: Also I discovered one random event about getting a banker to the airport. he gives you a stock tip. I flubbed it because I had all my guys invested in a lester mission already waiting on the stock market :( it's essentially a whole extra lester mission, works exact same. If you realise you have that guy in car and it's not a good time, crash the car and kill him, mission would respawn later.

Recoil

The final triathlon... wow. More than a half hour of button bashing. Thank god I won, imagine having to do that again.

Is there a list somewhere of GTA IV characters/references in V? So far I've got

- Packie talking about the 3 leaf clover heist if you recruit him as a member, and his experiences in gta iv in
- Lester talking about 'some eastern european guy' making moves in LC
- Klebitz in one of the most memorable moments of the game
- Apparently Brucie's on some site somewhere

Brucie gets mentioned on a radio commercial for bullshark testosterone -- a product he's selling.

Recoil

Trevor spoilers 50% of the way through the story:

Returning Patricia to Madrazzo the tune of Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now" is quite possibly the most hilarious scene I've seen in a game in years. Absolutely sublime.

edit:

And since my Trevor found love, he decided to make himself a new man.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Right thanks. The map system and briefing missions screens just seemed to go against each other. The map has things marked on it but doesn't tell you if it's a particular mission or just a place of interest (like a barbers etc), and the missions briefing page says no missions - It's not very intuitive to me at least.

You don't use the pause menu for anything mission related, stop going in there and confusing yourself. Missions are the coloured markers on the map, they should be always present on your minimap. Go to them. The white markers on the map are optional stuff like barbers etc. The colours are your key though.

zerotol

Banned
Trevor spoilers 50% of the way through the story:

Returning Patricia to Madrazzo the tune of Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now" is quite possibly the most hilarious scene I've seen in a game in years. Absolutely sublime.

edit:

And since my Trevor found love, he decided to make himself a new man.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Bearded Trevor looks like Joe Preston.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

each character has a colour, things specific to that character are in that colour

franklin - green
michael - blue
trevor - orange

points of interest are just black/white icons. it's pretty intuitive because you can tell really quickly which character to switch to. on the character switch they even have an icon for how many individual missions each character currently has available.

You don't use the pause menu for anything mission related, stop going in there and confusing yourself. Missions are the coloured markers on the map, they should be always present on your minimap. Go to them. The white markers on the map are optional stuff like barbers etc. The colours are your key though.

not true, you can go to the map, click on the icon for a mission and have it set a gps co-ordinate that you can follow on the mini-map. you can also set your own 'points of interest' (up to 10) with the 'y' button (useful for finding things if you have items)

So how far out can you fly? I went on a 'trip' with T in a cheap Plane (I think it was the cuban) and at some time the engine broke down. So to try and safe myself I turned around and luckily was high enough before to basically fly back only "on air".

Including a parachute jump it was just enough to avoid any water and I landed safely on the beach (except the plane, it crashed before), which kinda felt pretty amazing.

Also regarding Planes:
Do I have to buy the regular hangar with T? As apparently the modern planes/private jets cant be stored in T's airfield

Guerilla

So how far out can you fly? I went on a 'trip' with T in a cheap Plane (I think it was the cuban) and at some time the engine broke down. So to try and safe myself I turned around and luckily was high enough before to basically fly back only "on air".

Including a parachute jump it was just enough to avoid any water and I landed safely on the beach (except the plane, it crashed before), which kinda felt pretty amazing.

Also regarding Planes:
Do I have to buy the regular hangar with T? As apparently the modern planes/private jets cant be stored in T's airfield

Nothing you steal get stored properly in these goddamn hangars. I stole a fighter jet from the military base and had to change to another character while in the hangar and back to my character who was driving it in order for the jet to duplicate itself and be able to save. Tanks you steal on the other hand cannot be saved no matter how much you try. It's ridiculous.

Why aren’t helicopters spawning for me!?! I’ve finished the main game and am now finding all the space ship parts, and I need a helicopter to get one underneath a bridge, but none of them will spawn for me.

What the hell is going on here? I looked up a YouTube video to find out the locations of all the helicopters but they aren’t spawning for me. Big story spoiler:
I killed Trevor
so I can’t use his helicopter. Help?

GlamFM

Banned
Why aren’t helicopters spawning for me!?! I’ve finished the main game and am now finding all the space ship parts, and I need a helicopter to get one underneath a bridge, but none of them will spawn for me.

What the hell is going on here? I looked up a YouTube video to find out the locations of all the helicopters but they aren’t spawning for me. Big story spoiler:
I killed Trevor
so I can’t use his helicopter. Help?

There should always be one for Trevor on the airport in the grand sonoran desert.

They stored just fine there for me.

Weird, I tried to purchase any of the modern planes, and got an error that they don't "fit".

Nothing you steal get stored properly in these goddamn hangars. I stole a fighter jet from the military base and had to change to another character while in the hangar and back to my character who was driving it in order for the jet to duplicate itself and be able to save. Tanks you steal on the other hand cannot be saved no matter how much you try. It's ridiculous.
Yeah I experienced this with cars already, but my issue here was firstly with bought planes (or let's say failed purchases)

Even as Trevor?

Not on his own airport, but the one in the desert.

Did you read my spoiler? Big story spoiler: At the end of the game I decided to
kill Trevor.
And yes I'm talking about the one in the desert. It's gone now.

Surely
killing Trevor
doesn't get rid of all the helicopters in the game. I can't even use the blimp or a parachute to get to it. I think it has to be a helicopter...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
question regarding the massive ending spoilers

it's actually possible to completely murder either michael or trevor and have them forever unavailable? I thought that would be a sort of failed attempt or something, why would anyone take that option? Doesn't it essentially fuck your save over if you've got missing missions?

Top Bottom