• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

So on Friday night I was playing with some Gaffers in free roam and some random on free started giving millions of GTA dollars away, clearly a glitcher or something because there is no other way they could give $4 million away to 15 people without doing so.

I can go on and on with the potential left out there.
Pretty much the story of the game, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, good game, amazing value, but the development must've been really troubled.

They got a lot right though so hopefully they scale back a bit next time and just focus on nailing the basics.

steveovig

I'm not too far into the game and they keep telling me I need a suit to start a second mission with Lester. The only problem is the cheapest suit is like $4000 and I don't have anywhere near that amount yet. What's the best way to make money as a beginner? I know about robbing gas stations but is there anything else?

one85x

I'm not too far into the game and they keep telling me I need a suit to start a second mission with Lester. The only problem is the cheapest suit is like $4000 and I don't have anywhere near that amount yet. What's the best way to make money as a beginner? I know about robbing gas stations but is there anything else?
If this is for Michael, then you should already have a couple of suits by default. You can change clothes at his house.

RedSwirl

Even though this game is only about a month and a half old, I feel like I've already missed the launch hype party. Maybe it's because I was never really a part of the hype for any GTA game. Anyway, my GameFly copy of the game just got in yesterday (the 29th), and, just... fuck. This game. GTA V seems to be the first game in the franchise that has actually clicked with me. Rockstar seems to have finally addressed almost all the problems I had with the earlier games. Not just that, but I find myself actually agreeing with what I once thought of as hyperbole -- that GTA V sets the bar for next-gen.

My Problem With The GTA Series: Controls and UI
I started trying to play GTA games with San Andreas, and despite loving most of what I saw in that game and GTA IV: the atmosphere, characters, voice acting, cut scenes, and the amount of things to do, I absolutely hated the controls and interface lying at the foundation of it all. The earlier GTA games are just about unplayable for me. I quit San Andreas pretty early on and was only able to finish IV with extreme frustration. I hated the aiming system, the cover system, having to cycle through weapons, and the driving controls. Most of all I hated the continue system that made me restart missions with my armor and ammo still depleted or lose all those things at the hospital. I've always seen GTA as an exceptional series of games with a fantastic gameplay hook and real over-delivery of content, but a game's UI and controls are some of the most important things to me, and in GTA they've always made me feel like Rockstar North was stuck 15 years in the past. Either that, or I just felt like they were trying to tack on way too many functions for a PlayStation or Xbox controller to handle.

This seems to be the main thing Rockstar tightened up in GTA V, or at least the most noticeable to me. The shooting controls still aren't the best in the world, but they're up to par now. I'd say they're about as good as those in Red Dead. The Euphoria engine still adds a layer of input lag, but it's not nearly as bad as it felt in GTA IV. A shitload of nips and tucks in the general UI (most notably Max Payne 3's weapon wheel) have also made the game a lot less frustrating for me. The options menu for one thing feels like it's finally up to par with other games. Obviously the biggest thing UI-wise is how little the game loads or cuts and how seamless everything is, which just blows me away considering all that you do in GTA V. To me it just feels like GTA V has removed an entire layer of obfuscation that, for some reason, kept me from enjoying any of the previous GTA games.

The reason I'm devoting three paragraphs to just this subject is because I really do believe having good controls and a good UI is one of the most important, fundamental elements of having a fun game. I can enjoy the hell out of a game that a lot of other people might find mediocre if it has an efficient interface and snappy controls. It's the main reason I enjoyed RAGE and more recently Fire Emblem Awakening. I think it's also a big part of the popularity of the Call of Duty franchise. When the controls feel good, it enriches every other part of the game. Every GTA game I played before V felt like the opposite of this. It's like how some people felt going from the old Resident Evil tank controls and fixed camera angles to RE4's (or RE5's) system. As a result of all this, I now find myself much more willing to engage in the extra activities that I never bothered with in other GTA games, which has instantly blown up the game's appeal for me.

The Rest: Open World With Tight Polish
I didn't understand what people were talking about when they said this game raises a new bar for open-world games but holy shit. It kinda does. There are times when I'm walking around in some location, like a house, building, or alley, and thinking "How the fuck does a location as polished as this exist within such a massive open world in a console game?!" Every console open-world game I've played has felt shallow to a degree but GTA V feels far less so. I think all the seamless transitions have a lot to do with it.

The graphics, or at least the art direction, also has that level of polish that feels similar to some linear games (even if it doesn't match up in real visual terms). I did a thread earlier about how natural lighting as seen in this game and Beyond: Two Souls might be the future, and it's one of the things that makes me say "Fuck!" every time I'm driving and I see skyscrapers in the background haze and know I can go there. It just LOOKs like a city in real time, even more so than GTA IV.

The fucked-up part is that I have a few open-world games on my Steam backlog and now I don't know if I wanna play them: Assassin's Creed, Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause 2, Saints Row, ect. I thought it was hyperbole when people said we were in a post-GTA V world when it came to open-world game design, but I kinda feel like we really are. To me GTA V feels like the way Resident Evil 4 set the bar for current-gen third person shooters despite coming out at the tail end of last gen. If they'd released this on PS4 exactly as it is but with better textures and a smoother framerate, I'd definitely call GTA V next-gen. It takes a huge stride in overcoming the seemingly required shallowness of open-world games. I just hope all the other publishers don't look at GTA V's 29 million copies, all try to replicate it at once, and fail miserably.

My only gripe? This game seems to have the same framerate as Ocarina of Time.

Before GameFlying GTA V my status on it was "Eh. Don't believe the hype. Last of Us and BioShock Infinite didn't blow me away." Now my status is, "Stay strong and wait for the inevitable PC version."

TheMan

if you have to ask...

but yeah it was a fun game. i finished the game pretty quickly and was pretty dismayed at how borked the online mode was at launch. this, combined with the fact that episodic dlc is not coming prompted me to sell the game. still, the single player mode was superb.

I hated GTA before V also. I tried III, VC, and San Andreas and they all had bad controls, a bad camera, and I don't recall the missions being very good either. V fixes all of that (mostly). Especially the missions, which are varied and fun.

I should have worked my way through the story faster and did less random running around though. I didn't finish before Online came out, and haven't touched the story mode since.

jasonng

I wasn't a fan of the GTA series as well. I only loved Vice City because I love the aesthetics of the 80s. The things I dislike about GTA are in V as well but V had such a compelling story. I almost want to say Trevor was the reason why I kept playing.

I enjoyed my time with GTA V, but I sold it after playing through the 3rd or so heist. Insanely detailed and massive open world, and I really enjoyed most of the characters. Rockstar really knows how to cram GTA with a ton of details.
Having said that, outside of the heist missions I was quickly getting tired of the busy-work missions you have to do. There were other games I wanted to play more and it was still early enough to sell the game and get most of my money back. I'll definitely get it again once it comes to the PC
(on sale)
so I can finish it up someday with better performance (hopefully).

As far as Open World games in general go, I still find stuff like Saints Row, Crackdown, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and the Elder Scrolls (basically an open world, right?) more purely fun to play. SR2+3 because of how insanely over the top the story stuff gets and what you're doing in the game (although GTA V did a great job of ramping that up too). SR4 and Crackdown because of how much fun it is just to control your character and traverse the environment. Red Faction Guerrilla because of its amazing destructibility; it makes the world itself feel so much more interactable than in all other open world games. And the Elder Scrolls games are more RPG than typical GTA-style open world games, but the sense of immersion and exploration in those games is something I don't get out of any other games.

OT is not even in the community section yet....and we're getting LTTP?

That's kinda what's wrong with the industry, if you're not playing that 1st week then the game is already old.

cdkee

Banned
I enjoyed my time with GTA V, but I sold it after playing through the 3rd or so heist. Insanely detailed and massive open world, and I really enjoyed most of the characters. Rockstar really knows how to cram GTA with a ton of details.
Having said that, outside of the heist missions I was quickly getting tired of the busy-work missions you have to do. There were other games I wanted to play more and it was still early enough to sell the game and get most of my money back. I'll definitely get it again once it comes to the PC
(on sale)
so I can finish it up someday with better performance (hopefully).

As far as Open World games in general go, I still find stuff like Saints Row, Crackdown, Red Faction: Guerrilla, and the Elder Scrolls (basically an open world, right?) more purely fun to play. SR2+3 because of how insanely over the top the story stuff gets and what you're doing in the game (although GTA V did a great job of ramping that up too). SR4 and Crackdown because of how much fun it is just to control your character and traverse the environment. Red Faction Guerrilla because of its amazing destructibility; it makes the world itself feel so much more interactable than in all other open world games. And the Elder Scrolls games are more RPG than typical GTA-style open world games, but the sense of immersion and exploration in those games is something I don't get out of any other games.

You missed some of the best missions in the game.

We've been telling you android users all along... it's not worth waiting for, there is NOTHING on it.

I'd like to go back to the guy who was going ape shit about suing Rockstar for false advertising because the "complete game" required you to buy a $750 Apple iPhone, and so he should get his money back. And we were like "dude.. this app is truly useless.." "IT DOESNT MATTER ITS RIDICULOUS TO NOT GET THE FULL GAME UNLESS YOU SPEND $700 ON AN iPHONE"

Antagon

The game really needs an option to quickly restart a mission from the beginning. I want to try and get gold, but it's way too frustrating like this. Hopefully they'll add the option in a future patch.

wizzbang

Banned
Just beat the game and it's the first time I've ever played a GTA all the way through the story. I really dug the characters and looked forward to what happened with them. The only issue I have is that the majority of the map seemed to be far too under utilized. Anybody else get that feeling as well? Maybe I just missed a large portion of the side missions.

Nah, all GTA's are like that - the world is so huge and great (and more so for each one) that you think just how many missions could they do on this?
There's many many areas in GTAV I never saw properly or saw only once and I dropped 90 hours.
I've love for a DLC / expansion pack which used the same world, it'd be great to have more missions on that map.
Online doesn't do it for me.

duckroll

Is there a reason why I can't seem to buy a slot on the Marina or the Helicopter pad near it? The prompt comes up, I "confirm" but nothing happens. ?_?

fijim

Banned
Is there a way to keep these tricked out Guantlets you use for the
Union Depository Heist
they seem to have a custom mod just for this mission and I would like to keep one this way. (I haven't done the mission yet).

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a reason why I can't seem to buy a slot on the Marina or the Helicopter pad near it? The prompt comes up, I "confirm" but nothing happens. ?_?

You can buy a lot at the marina or heliport, but no vehicles will spawn until you purchase them. So nothing happening after you bought the lot is normal, since there are no vehicles to spawn.

Holy moly! You have to get 30 submarine parts AND 30 nuclear wastes in that submarine?! Yeah, this is gonna take a while.

Did that the minute it opened up. Loved every minute of it.

50 letter scraps. 50 alien ship parts.

All of it. None of it felt like a chore, either (for the first time in a GTA title).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
All of it. None of it felt like a chore, either (for the first time in a GTA title).

I've only got these left to do and it's feeling a bit chore-ish. No idea how you would do this without resorting to a guide. I probably found 5-10 of each (apart from the waste, haven't even tried that yet) without a guide. chop helps.

I'm about to try and find the 10 more jumps I need for my 100% checklist (only gonna do 25 of the 50)

never really enjoyed fetch quests but I want to see those final missions.

Holy moly! You have to get 30 submarine parts AND 30 nuclear wastes in that submarine?! Yeah, this is gonna take a while.

30 submarine parts you have a boat for if I'm not wrong, you get that and drive over water to the location, dive in and grab it, swim up and go to next one. still takes fkn ages.

I've only got these left to do and it's feeling a bit chore-ish. No idea how you would do this without resorting to a guide. I probably found 5-10 of each (apart from the waste, haven't even tried that yet) without a guide. chop helps.

I'm about to try and find the 10 more jumps I need for my 100% checklist (only gonna do 25 of the 50)

never really enjoyed fetch quests but I want to see those final missions.

It is absolutely impossible without a guide. To find them all without the guide would require you to comb every square inch of the map. It would take an improbable amount of time.

The best guides are the ones that put you in the general vicinity of the thing you're trying to collect, and you're left to sort of search around for it a bit.

Having a final mission is the carrot-on-the-stick. They are worth finding, IMO.

I should mention it only took me 2 or 3 two hour sittings to get the letter scraps and alien ship parts(had an iPad handy). Probably another four or five hours for the ocean diving stuff (that was a bit more tedious).

Kjellson

Wait, there are SHARKS in the water?!

Uh, I don't know if I can swim around in the ocean with sharks lurking around the corner.

Finalow

GTAO: the money that isn't in the bank just disappears? I played it after one week and I had no money left, wth.
also how do I put it in the bank.

rezuth

GTAO: the money that isn't in the bank just disappears? I played it after one week and I had no money left, wth.
also how do I put it in the bank.

How much money did you have and have you died a lot? There are recurring costs in the GTA world.

Wait, there are SHARKS in the water?!

Uh, I don't know if I can swim around in the ocean with sharks lurking around the corner.

In that case, definitely don't try sailing a boat off the north west coast as far as you can.

Is it worthwhile going to therapy at all btw? I just remembered I've yet to have an appointment.

CF22

Found out you can show the middle finger around while in a car and if you try to fly far away into the ocean at some point the plane will malfunction and fall into the ocean with a shark nearby. Still haven't seen a dead shark on the street but as always GTA is the game that keeps on giving.

Top Bottom