• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

SnowTeeth

Banned
I stopped playing after two weeks from the initial release because I encountered a bug that wouldn't let me progress after finishing one of the later missions and I'm just now starting a new play through. The first thing I've noticed is that the anti-aliasing seems to have been improved as well as the frame rate by a small margin. Am I imagining things? The picture quality seems quite improved since first release but I'm not entirely sure... I haven't messed around with my TV settings and I'm playing on the PS3.

Laekon

I bought the xbox version of GTA V for my old 20gb xbox when it went on sale last week. The day after I bought a PS3. Would I be better of exchanging the xbox version for the PS3 one? I'm not concerned with playing online.

I put all the money I had in Redwood stocks when Franklin's second assassination mission started. Then I killed all the juries, but now when I try to sell it's telling me I'll lose profit.

Fuck you game. God dammit.

eloestmn

I put all the money I had in Redwood stocks when Franklin's second assassination mission started. Then I killed all the juries, but now when I try to sell it's telling me I'll lose profit.

Fuck you game. God dammit.

Go to your house and save your game, it will advance the in-game time, do that until Redwood gets up to 300%.

Go to your house and save your game, it will advance the in-game time, do that until Redwood gets up to 300%.

I think the problem is that I bought the stock after the assassination mission had already been started, and the game isn't smart enough to wait until you've killed every juror before rising the company's stock. I checked a few times since then and my stocks aren't worth s***.

Is there any way to make decent money in the game without playing the stock markets?

tumblr_mupbpdKllB1sphl01o1_250.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Sadly, no. If only you could so I could motivate myself to buy that golf course.

I don't understand the problem. You can earn a massive cache of funds by investing in Bawsaq and it literally takes 30 seconds. Do it for a week and you have enough to buy the golf course three times over.

Dead Man

I don't understand the problem. You can earn a massive cache of funds by investing in Bawsaq and it literally takes 30 seconds. Do it for a week and you have enough to buy the golf course three times over.

You don't understand the problem with no money being earned in the main story of the game and if you are offline especially? That's too bad. It is a pretty simple problem to understand.

SJRB

Gold Member
You don't understand the problem with no money being earned in the main story of the game and if you are offline especially? That's too bad. It is a pretty simple problem to understand.

O really? Do the Lester missions [preferably after finishing the main story], pour all your money from all three characters in the stock tip you get from Lester, wait until stocks skyrocket, sell.

Rinse - repeat.

Is there any way to make decent money in the game without playing the stock markets?

Nope, and they really should have spent a tiny bit more time on the property ownership/management.

It's too late now, and obviously the high barrier of entry and exceedingly low property payouts is big complaint, but it should have worked like this:

Owning a property has the same high barrier of entry. Property payouts are low when you first purchase them. As you complete missions for those properties (ie, for the airstrip in Grapeseed, if you do the drug deliveries, or for the bar in Paleto Bay, if you do the protection & delivery missions), the payouts double at every completed mission with a maximum of 10 missions, which unlock over a set period of time in the game. It would allow you to generate a real source of income from those properties, thus buying more properties, getting more missions, and then generating revenue from them.

As has been pointed out, property ownership is just a huge waste of money for almost every property. Things like the music club or the gay bar in Los Santos cost in the hundreds of thousands to millions and the payouts are so fractionally low that you will never* break even on that initial investment. They really flubbed this up and you could tell they just threw it on there as a footnote to say, "you wanted property ownership, we gave it to you!" Even the properties that do give you missions are really half assed... I bought the Chicken Coop or Hens House or whatever it is up in Paleto Bay, figuring I could then go inside it to play darts or whatever, and well, obviously, no you can't. But, beyond that, I got 1 mission when I first bought it that some bikers were causing trouble... Drove all the way across the map, killed 4 bikers, and that was it. Then, another time, I got one other mission that they were out of supplies... I was busy at the time so I ignored it. That mission disappeared and never came back... pretty sure I missed my only chance to do a useless waste of time mission for that. R* really half assed it.

*never: You actually will break even eventually. If you play the game every day for 6 - 8 hours a day, after about 3 real life years, ~1000 real life days, you'll break even on those properties.

O really? Do the Lester missions [preferably after finishing the main story], pour all your money from all three characters in the stock tip you get from Lester, wait until stocks skyrocket, sell.

Rinse - repeat.

That's exactly my point. The only way to make money is by going through stocks. Monitoring a graph is pretty boring. It shouldn't be hard to understand that some of us want to steal, kill, gamble, etc for money. All the good things that make GTA fun.

Tawpgun

That's exactly my point. The only way to make money is by going through stocks. Monitoring a graph is pretty boring. It shouldn't be hard to understand that some of us want to steal, kill, gamble, etc for money. All the good things that make GTA fun.

Not only that, but without reading the internets no one would know to wait until the endgame to do lester missions if you want to have any hope in getting riiiich

Yeah, it was a poor design in the game. Sure, you'd get a nice big payout from the last job, but because no jobs paid out for 80% of the main storyline, you were just stuck saving up till the end.

There were a few real head scratchers with GTA V... Mostly around the lack of any reward for doing missions. The missions were all generally great, but there was no carrot for any of them, and so many were frustratingly "you'll get a big payout soon!" only to complete the mission and "oh sorry, I lied we have no money."

rallaren

I could, if I wanted to, scratch my head for ages over all the design flaws and errors this game inhibits but thankfully I didn't because they flew out the window not long after showing up. A second playthrough did not change that either.

The problem still stands though; Why are they all there? I have not played an R* game since GTA:SA and I forgave most issues I had with it on the tech (PS2) not being good enough.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally have this game! Love GTA, super stoked. Played for about 20 minutes and turned it off.

I just cant do it.

The framerate is unbearable.

I wasn't always like this.

I used to think Far Cry 3 on the 360 was acceptable.

PC gaming has spoiled me.

Will wait for the port.

Super upset. :(

The graph is mostly pointless anyhow because it's historic... some folks on Reddit always posting about the graphs and highs and lows, but these are past data that has no bearing on the future data. Best way to make cash of stocks other than Assassinations is to, 1) mark the -10 to -25% stocks at the start of the game (it's randomly a few), as these will mostly trend up all game, and then trade stocks after most of the major missions.

Obviously the Assassinations boost stocks but a lot of other missions do, too. For example, Big One Heist causes Gold Coast to go up, but only if you do subtle because then that hurts gold and benefits real estate (GC); if you do Obvious, it makes gold go up instead, and so GC is actually hurt a bit (I think, I tested it on 4 games but it could just be from random price movement). Or, Blitz Play and the Weston missions cause AUG to go down because they make insurance payouts, but then at the end of the game AUG goes back up
because he's dead and they recover the cars so no more insurance payouts and lost profits.
(Most of this stuff is explained on the radio BTW like the gold and real estate stuff or the insurance stuff). Obviously there's the FlyUSA one too, Cluckin Bell for Paleto, etc. Vangelico drops more if you do Obvious than Subtle. Etc etc.

Point is, there's a lot of small 5-50% gains to be made off the mission, and another good 10-20% to be made off whichever stocks your game randomly chooses to start off at a huge loss. Technically the random news causes stocks to go up and down maybe about 5% too but I've found it almost impossible to predict this because, 1) it's random and if you reload the same save over and over the news changes, 2) the change size and speed also seems random. The most successful way I've found is to do it just when you're free roaming and just boot up the game, check the news and since it just randomly generated, its trend will just begin. That seems to usually work, at least net, but even then sometimes it still seems wrong or stuck. But it's definitely there, I feel I've isolated the movement enough outside of story movement and random movement that it's certain to at least some extent.

Airfield is OK for cash... I usually get 30-40K a week by just doing a few missions here and there. You can make about 100k easy in 30m once you get used to chaining missions every 3-4 minutes. Not great cash though... mostly just to top off expenses on car mods and armour.

Sucks that the weed farm is still bugged. That's supposed to be a repeatable 5K-100K every week, but when R* hotfixed the underwater money suitcase trick, they accidently "fixed" all respawn money suitcase -- weed farm included. So, that's one good repeatable combat source of income they buggered up ages ago and don't bother to fix because it's not MP.

Wish more of the GTAO missions were in GTA V in some form though. Great game but not enough endgame content. I'll be starting my 5th playthrough soon just because it's more fun to go through the great story over and over then to replay the repeatable endgame or online content.

spekkeh

Banned
Finally finished the game yesterday. The last heist was cool, but the ending fell completely flat.
I totally forgot why I had to kill either of the two. I chose to shoot Trevor because I really couldn't fathom why the Franklin character would kill Michael over Trevor. I burned him alive, which I found fitting for Trevor, but meh.
So yeah overall the game from moment to moment was really fun. Loved flying around and the nighttime cityscape is gorgeous. Switching between characters a nice bonus to keep it fresh.

The story was completely lacking though. They probably wanted to go for a Coen bros. / Tarantino style character-driven crime caper, but the character motivations were too poorly motivated. Franklin went from believable to mindless drone a quarter of a way in and Trevor was one big walking deus ex machina with overly comical voice. Michael is the only one that was done somewhat well, but in the end his whole family storyline didn't amount to anything substantial and he was also pretty bland himself.

I'd say a seven or eight.

spekkeh

Banned
[*]They give you three possible endings. Only one of them is worth it's salt. The existence of the two others is a sham and they shouldn't have bothered.
The C ending is the only one that fits the game. I still can't even think of why they'd have A & B... they make no sense and they are stupid and ruin your replayability

Ah, apparently I chose the wrong one.

If you have a chance to go back and replay it... play for Option C. I actually think the option of having A and B really ruined the game. It was so out of character for Franklin, was very out of character for the game itself, and was really forced on there... And it has a very negative effect on the "post-story" gameplay experience.

I played Option A or B (I forget) first because I thought "C" meant "Franklin dies." The whole while I was like "dude what the fuck ... why do I have to do this, it doesn't make sense." And then I went back, reloaded, and played C... And I thought it was awesome. Over the top? Sure -- the whole game is over the top. After the snoozefest that was GTAIV, it actually felt like a mission similar to the final mission of San Andreas (no, it doesn't come close to that god-tier mission, but it was most similar).

Finished the main story missions last night. First GTA game I've finished. I enjoyed the game a good deal more than I thought I would after the first couple hours of play. I wish owning properties and some other ancillary aspects of the game would have better constructed, but overall, I'm certainly glad I bought it and invested the time; which is about all I hope to achieve when I complete a game.

Dries

So I just encountered a Gruppe 6 securicar and blew the back doors open... but there was nothing there and I didn't gain any money. Is this a bug, or do you only get money once in a while?

So I just encountered a Gruppe 6 securicar and blew the back doors open... but there was nothing there and I didn't gain any money. Is this a bug, or do you only get money once in a while?

I think for some of them you have to wait for them to stop at a business and pick up money.

So uh... has anyone actually tried/succeeded in finding all the letters and
UFO parts
on their own without the use of any guide? At first I thought I would maybe try it if Chop was decent enough at pointing me in their general direction, but he's useless since he latches on to all the useless other pickups that exist. And since this game is absolutely humongous, I'm not willing to spend my entire lifetime searching for them.

So is there actually a way to find these without resorting to a guide? Because I'm just about to...

I would just use a guide. save yourself from a headache.

anyways, seeing as I will get a desktop next month and that it's almost a given that GTA V will be on pc eventually, I started making plans on what mods I want to make in GTA V. right now, I'm planning a property improvement mod that improves the payout and jobs of the current properties and it will have three new properties tailored made for each character. I'm also adding a (ending spoiler warning)
last will and testament
mod which will
transfer any property that a character killed off owns to franklin

UrbanRats

This game meant nothing to my life and three months later it's almost like I didn't even play it.

Signed,
My drunken opinion

It did kind of came and went for me too, but i feel like i didn't gave it as fair a chance as i gave past GTAs, after being underwhelmed by the story.

As usual i'll wait for the PC version, for that.

Cincaid

It's been 103 days since it was released for PS3/X360, and R* haven't said a word regarding a release for PC. Is this 'business as usual' for R*, or are we looking at another Read Dead Redemption? I just want to play this so badly on my PC. :(

Permanently A

Question, when do I sell Betta Pharmaceuticals stock? Its at $629.35 a share after the Hotel Assassination mission, and keeps rising. When do I cash out?

I would just use a guide. save yourself from a headache.

anyways, seeing as I will get a desktop next month and that it's almost a given that GTA V will be on pc eventually, I started making plans on what mods I want to make in GTA V. right now, I'm planning a property improvement mod that improves the payout and jobs of the current properties and it will have three new properties tailored made for each character. I'm also adding a (ending spoiler warning)
last will and testament
mod which will
transfer any property that a character killed off owns to franklin

Good ideas for mods. I think a property ownership mod should work something like this:

- Purchase property for whatever the cost.
- "10 missions" per property or something similar. After each mission, the property payout doubles + whatever you earn on the property. For properties without a regular payout, the missions/rewards grow as you do the set tasks, like bringing in junker cars to the scrap yard, etc.

lyonhardt

Started the game earlier this week and am enjoying it a lot. I'm about 42% in according to my save file (just finished the first Solomon mission). I have to say though, when I think about it in a strict gameplay mechanic sense, it isn't that great and consists of stuff I have disliked in other open world games. Such as driving from location A to B followed by a shootout/chase, and very 'lead by the nose' objectives (with waypoints telling you to go 'here' followed by prompts telling you to 'press this') and so forth. But they managed to 'decorate' this sort of mission design in such a way that makes it feel diverse and just very entertaining, even though it is ultimately feels 'shallow'. I'm still having a blast though, and I am immersed, think it's a measurable step up from GTAIV and RDR. The world design, level of detail, the animations, the writing, etc are phenomenal, and given the scope of the game (it's amazing that the game runs as smooth as it does on the PS3), the basic gameplay is forgivable, especially when they are executed in such cinematic and engrossing ways. Heist missions and missions involving having to switch between all three characters are the best ones so far. Controls are a bit awkward though, especially when cover and mobility in enclosed areas are concerned.

I have yet to really play any of the mini-games like golf, or even play the stock market yet (pretty confused about what to do with this exactly). Might give tennis and a triathlon a go eventually, and see if a 'hang out' is worth it with any of the characters. I tried hunting today and got jumped by a fucking cougar or whatever it was.

bndadm

Man I just can't get past a sense of anxiety I'm having hoarding money so I can make money on the market during the assassination missions to buy properties. I already bought a helipad and dock thinking they would give me money (not). I keep fearing I'll buy something that will cause me to not have enough money. It's stupid that I'm so worried about it but I don't want to have to grind it out.

Otherwise, other than a solid antagonist, I'm enjoying it very much.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man I just can't get past a sense of anxiety I'm having hoarding money so I can make money on the market during the assassination missions to buy properties. I already bought a helipad and dock thinking they would give me money (not). I keep fearing I'll buy something that will cause me to not have enough money. It's stupid that I'm so worried about it but I don't want to have to grind it out.

Otherwise, other than a solid antagonist, I'm enjoying it very much.

If property generates revenue it will say on the FOR SALE screen how much it generates on a weekly basis.

The Helipad, Marina and the Plane Hangar on the airfield are just "parking lots" for your air and sea vehicles, you basically buy a lot instead of the entire company.

bndadm

If property generates revenue it will say on the FOR SALE screen how much it generates on a weekly basis.

The Helipad, Marina and the Plane Hangar on the airfield are just "parking lots" for your air and sea vehicles, you basically buy a lot instead of the entire company.

Ah, that's a good tip, thanks. One other question then - at what point (if ever) can I buy properties through the in-game website?

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah, that's a good tip, thanks. One other question then - at what point (if ever) can I buy properties through the in-game website?

Never, that website is for multiplayer usage only. Every piece of property must be bought by visiting its location and read the for sale sign.

rallaren

Looks like they actually found the jetpack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfFOIIvj-4

I was doubting whether it was real when he was going through all the steps, but it looks legit to me. Thoughts?
Holy casserole! I have not touched the game in what feels like a long time but the jet plane in the end brought back good memories, and some bad because I got the feeling the game deserved a better single player experience, or, it could be so much more. Fixing controls, gameplay and freedom, like a major overhaul, for starters.

Top Bottom