• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Quit. Happened to me once. Just a black screen with the little circle at the bottom-right. Sat for like 10 minutes before I just exited to the XMB. Loaded it back up and it placed me where ever it had last saved.

It's happened to me twice now, both under the same circumstance (first heist spoilers)
after failing the mission to get the bug spray van
. By chance, was your situation similar?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, made a save and then bought some properties to see how it went. The sub one seemingly can be used by anyone regardless of who buys it, things like the helipad however can only be used by the person who buys it. It's neat to have the 3 characters, but this stuff is a bit of a pain in the ass.

789shadow

Banned
I think someone else had this problem, but the character switch seems to say there is one more Franklin mission than there actually is.

I'm at the shooting range trying to get gold with the pistol and it's seriously hard. I can't get no higher than silver on the second and third challenges, on the third challenge I can only get 8000 out of 15000 lol. If I complete the challenge with one pistol, does it count for the rest of the pistols too? because if that's the case I'll wait to complete it when the better pistols unlock.

edit: I think I found my answer, nevermind

Pyronite

I have a question. When people first got GTA IV, were they disappointed immediately or did that opinion change over time?

Opinion changed over time. It got great reviews and the hype was huge for everything from the tone to the Euphoria animation engine. Its Metacritic is nearly as high as GTA V and it has not had a great legacy.

I respect Rockstar, but I feel like this is the role most of their games will play. They come out with years between them, but they're never anything particularly amazing to me. The hype goes off the charts, though.

Derrick01

Banned
So I finally checked that movie generator website. My first idea came up as:

"When a paranoid country music star loses all his money at a swinger party, he must team up with a smack-talking hermaphrodite with a huge ego and take on a 400-pound chimpanzee in a race against time to disembowel a cheerleader"

I...kind of want to see this movie in reality. The industry really has become that dull.

Damn, this actually works? Fuck I gotta try that.

Yeah but I think it's all broken right now. I checked again under My Portfolio and I'm down 0.89 cents for some reason but when I check the actual stock page it's still at the number I bought it. Maybe the market stops updating after a certain time of day (in real life time) like the real market does.

I know that method works though because I saw it in the gameplay preview a few months back.

amnesiac said:
I have a question. When people first got GTA IV, were they disappointed immediately or did that opinion change over time?

Hated it from about hour 4 to the very end, once I realized I was doing the same mission 90 times with 30 of them being tutorials for dumb shit I didn't care about.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I was in awe for the first 10 or so hours and by the time I completed it for the first time already didn't like it.

Fjordson

You are most definitely right about that. They are returning to the tone and "give them everything" gameplay that San Andreas in particular had. I appreciate all they do, and like I said, it's a great game, but in terms of personal meaning, I feel that it lacks.

GTA IV TRIED to tell a meaningful story. The only time I feel like Rockstar has achieved this (and they achieved it in a big way for me) was Red Dead Redemption. Otherwise, give me TLOU for a 2013 game. That game actually tried to say something. This game is just a big action movie with lots of filler.

(That said... I'm still probably going to play through it. The story could always hook me by the end. But it's not starting off as much.)
Totally disagree. The relationship between Michael and Franklin, his past with Trevor, Michael's family issues and his therapy sessions. Game is filled with great writing and interesting character interactions. Holding my attention way more than Last of Us did.

RaptorGTA

Ugh, just had the game freeze on me while trying to save a self-portrait on my phone. Luckily, no data was lost. Rockstar really needs to fix their Social Club issues pronto

Just had the same issue..havent been able to save one photo since launch..eh. BTW...Ive stolen a few jets from the airport..and always have the engines blow out randomly. I can see one maybe from the gun fire...but the other one is just randomly in the air. Am i hitting birds? I even try flying higher and still kept having issues..

Pyronite

Totally disagree. The relationship between Michael and Franklin, his past with Trevor, Michael's family issues and his therapy sessions. Game is filled with great writing and interesting character interactions. Holding my attention way more than Last of Us did.

His therapy sessions don't feel great to me. He's sitting in with a dude who has total disregard for him while he just puts up with it &#8212; it doesn't fit his character at all. It's also basically a stereotype of the physician who is there for nothing but the money, down to the second, which is kind of how I feel about most GTA titles... they can be lazy, with dialogue meant to string one quest to the next, and not the other way around (the game created around the story, which tends to respect your time and have the least amount of filler).

The relationship between Michael and Franklin is interesting to me as well, so you've got me there.

EDIT: Also, I really have to say that it sucks that the PSN preorder of GTA V is susceptible to the same streaming issue the 360 is. I can't see road signs while I'm driving on the highway. This was authorized to be put out this way. Maybe they intended to figure out the streaming issues prior to launch, but there was no warning that there may be issues, which they announced once the game started hitting the public's hands.

I'm getting really sick of not being able to take screenshots because of Social Club. I got the game at the midnight launch and still haven't had SC work for me once, not in-game or in iFruit. What's the deal? I can't even use the camera.

Alright, just spent the past hour scouring the Social Club, creating a profile, creating a crew for my IRL friends, etc. Also added myself to the Gaming Age Family list, would definitely like to join that crew.

I must say, Rockstar is shooting big with this thing. I just hope it doesn't completely crash once GTA:O releases.

It probably will.

dalVlatko

I'm getting really sick of not being able to take screenshots because of Social Club. I got the game at the midnight launch and still haven't had SC work for me once, not in-game or in iFruit. What's the deal? I can't even use the camera.

Dumb question, but have you made an account on the website?

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/

Screenshots weren't working for me until I made one. I don't think there is any local storage for it.

YJ0XquD.jpg

Nexas

Ok I just ran into a really cool random event at the very north of the map with Franklin.
I came across two guys digging a hole a hole in the ground with a woman tied up beside them. I kill the two guys and rescue the girl. It turns out she is the daughter of Sammy Bottino, one of the underbosses of the Gambetti family.She asks me to take her to Vinewood and that I'll receive a reward for helping her. A minute after I drop her off she calls me and became 60k richer.

SlickVic

I feel it took at least a month before I saw a noticeable amount of backlash towards the game. Before that, almost everything I read seemed overwhelmingly positive. This is just my personal impression of it though based on the sites I used to visit at the time (don't think I read GAF back then). I just remember it because I had to wait a month after the game released to actually play it, and just remember hearing so many great things about it from everyone that made the wait more difficult.

i knew the game wasn't good after about 10 hours of playtime

in the gaf thread there was some backlash here and there, i remember the thread starter (himumu rip) writing a big post explaining why gta4 was shit like 3 weeks after the game came out tho

Derrick01

Banned
Is the Hawk & Little Stocks bugged right now, or Social Club as a whole? These $1 stocks seem very very good right now

Everything regarding social club is broken and buggy right now. That stock was $1 2 days ago as well. People still can't upload their screenshots a lot of times.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been using the Pulse Elite for the last 2h or so and I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but 1-I'm not really detecting anything that sound even remotely like surround and 2-I'm not having any bass rumble or anything like that either.

I have the Virtual Surround icon on the screen pop-up and the bass slider is all the way up on my headset.

Other than that I guess the sound is good.

So I've been using the Pulse Elite for the last 2h or so and I dunno if I'm doing something wrong but 1-I'm not really detecting anything that sound even remotely like surround and 2-I'm not having any bass rumble or anything like that either.

I have the Virtual Surround icon on the screen pop-up and the bass slider is all the way up on my headset.

Other than that I guess the sound is good.

FWIW i have a 600w kenwood 5.1 set and i can totally tell where sounds are coming from if something's behind me etc the surround sound is great

antitrop

So is there any points in taking the hitchhickers to the cult camp instead of the normal destination?

Yes, they pay you a small "finder's fee". And you get the bonus of hearing the dialogue of the confused hitchhikers as they realize that they no longer recognize where they are going.

Megasoum

Banned
FWIW i have a 600w kenwood 5.1 set and i can totally tell where sounds are coming from if something's behind me etc the surround sound is great

Yeah, I don't necessarly expect the thing to sound like a real surround setup with real speakers and all that but still, I was using "normal" wireless headphones before (Turtle Beach X41) and I really don't see (or I should say hear heh...) any differences with the Sony set.

Maybe I should try to factory reset them. Dunno.

Anyone encounter the
No Country for Old Men
like scenario when you tried hunting for the first time? Let's just say, I didn't make it out alive >.<

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyone encounter the
No Country for Old Men
like scenario when you tried hunting for the first time? Let's just say, I didn't make it out alive >.<

No, explain?

Also, been attacking the postop depot and its definitely affecting stock offline

For me, personally, the disappointment began setting in when I realized just how badly the game controlled in combat. Considering how long I spend roaming the city before really getting into the meat of these games (I'm 18 hours into V and only just getting to my first heist) it took a few hours for me. Then as the game went on and on and I realized just how much was missing, it grew over time. By the time the expansions came out, I still played them, but I wasn't nearly as impressed anymore. Unfortunate because Gay Tony could've really been great but the mechanics failed it so much.

In general the backlash took about a month or 2 and has only gotten bigger since then, on GAF anyway. I don't see GTAV having anywhere as big of a backlash. There are still a lot of kinks, but Rockstar did work with this game.

Megasoum

Banned
Well that's kinda stupid... I want to try to reset my Pulse Elite but I don't have anything small enough to press the reset button on the dongle lol.

No, explain?

Also, been attacking the postop depot and its definitely affecting stock offline

There's a small plateau of rock, with 4 or so jeeps and a load of dad bodies, the clear result of a shootout. There are also a few survivors, and if you take the brifcases of money, a couple of cartel types come after you on dirtbikes

As someone currently reading the book, it was a joyous surprise

Am I mistaken or is the psn digital version running way smoother in framerate than the 360 version? Man I am thoroughly impressed with this game.

TheContact

I loved IV but it dropped a lot of cool features that SA had, plus the big map and diverse locations. The grayscale palette they used in IV was just horrible. Gta iv deserved a 9 out of 10 at the time, it was truly a great game for the time. It even still was a great game on September 16, 2013. Now comparing it to GTA V, it's easy to see a lot of the flaws the game had

There's a small plateau of rock, with 4 or so jeeps and a load of dad bodies, the clear result of a shootout. There are also a few survivors, and if you take the brifcases of money, a couple of cartel types come after you on dirtbikes

As someone currently reading the book, it was a joyous surprise

Weird. Nobody came after me. Then again I didn't leave any of the survivors alive.

7he Talon

Really low on money... What the best way to make money apart from missions?

Trying to use the stock market, but I'm not having much luck.

Top Bottom