• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Gun Animal

Anyone else get this glitch? Very mild spoilers up to maybe the first ten missions or so:

Wherein walking into Franklin's house while being chased by cops and causing his aunt to run out of the house, then loosing your wanted level in the house, which caused her to reappear in the house, and upon walking outside of the house literally an infinite amount of her, Lamar and that other dude pour out of the front door until the game locks up? I managed to snag two pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/LIcggNV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zqDCZSl.jpg

DjRoomba

Banned
Ive gotten major confused whats going on in the story. I wasnt paying attention when they introduced the FIB guy and forgot exactly how Trevor got to that boat/docks mission and I feel a little confuzzled. Oh well...

GlamFM

Banned
Same here. I thought that was odd.

I'm not even close to beating the game. So maybe he turns up later?

Wild assumption:

Since all 3 main characters interacted with him at some point I think he might turn up in a main mission at some point.

I must be blind cause I don't think I've ever seen an option to look at them at any of the clothing stores I've been to. Are they store specific?

They're on little stands usually close to the counter.

They're in shops like Binco and Suburban, not the posh one that does suits.

I got a pair of Ray Ban-like shades that look very good on Trevor.

One question I have about clothes shopping though; will every branch of the same chain sell the same clothes to the same character?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I can't get over how addictive the Tennis is in this lol.

Wat. The tennis is pretty crappy from my experience. The AI doesn't even do anything. Zero challenge whatsoever which makes the ok at best gameplay mechanics worthless. Seems to me like the only point of playing Tennis is to grind your strength stat, because it sure isn't fun to play.

Erebus

Haven't followed this so I'd like to know if the PSN version of the game has any performance issues before I dip in.

broony

It would require me to drive all the way to wherever the house is (I haven't seen a specific marker on the map and I didn't remember where the house was so I could have spent a long time searching) or call a taxi.

Look for an icon on the map shaped like a house. There is a clue there for you.

CrovaxPSO

Any idea what they're going to sell in the PlayStation/Xbox Games stores? Only thing I can think of other than adding the Blimp for sale later on is clothes and stuff for Online.

Fjordson

As someone above my post said, there are very long loading times whenever you start the game and switch characters.
Still kinda confused. My longest character switch has maybe been 15 seconds once.

And you say you loved San Andreas? With its loading times on every mission? Interesting...

Carcetti

My least favorite character tbh

My favorite GTA main character used to be CJ but Trevor has so many things going for him.

When I do something completely stupid like kill someone randomly like get out of a moving car and fly headfirst into a concrete wall as Trevor, I feel like that's totally in character for him. Emergent gameplay meshes with the story!

He's not stupid even though he seems like it. He says some insightful things, has a good vocabulary.

His face is really expressive. I wanted to get him a beard but don't want to cover his expressions.

He's a bit like a much crazier version of Boyd in Justified. <3

Night time in this game. wow.
ibyuALWmiI2pgm.jpg

ilu80OKJv7Txo.jpg

ibgVMKsxv3Iiqn.jpg

I just love that little detail that older model cars do not immediately start. This happened during a mission for me where I had to chase someone, and it took like 5 seconds before the engine started.

Resilient

I've played a few hours of GTA V and I'm not having any fun.

The loading times are too long.

There's way too much driving. I'm tired of driving to get to missions, especially since there are so many other cars to crash into and slow you down. Even getting a taxi takes too long (you have to call it, wait for it, wait for the button prompt to skip the cutscene, etc). At one point I wanted to start a new mission and when I arrived the game told me to get new, classier clothes. I drove to the nearest clothes store, which took a couple extra minutes but they weren't selling any (only casual clothes). So I checked my map for more stores... No way to tell which one would sell classy clothes and they were all too far away anyway, so I quit. Later on, I wanted to play again so I started the game, tried to start a mission then in the middle of the road I just felt 'This is boring, why am I even doing this?' and I stopped the console right away. I realized I had had enough.

At one point the rich dude's daughter called him so I accepted to help her. I drove to wherever she was located and got into the police car, as the game ordered me to, then... nothing. There was no message to tell me what to do, no dot on the map, no dialogue, nothing. I could not even cancel the mission or reload (apparently you cannot do that during 'side activities'). I had to force-quit the game.

The story has failed to get my interest and is just not fun (a Facebook/Steve Jobs parody? HOW FUCKING CLEVER, I'm dying of laughter). I missed the stereotypical black gangsters from San Andreas. I feel like Rockstar have tried so hard to make GTA V a 'cultural phenomenon' that they've forgotten to make something funny.

The controls are weird and even after a few hours I still hit the wrong buttons.

The map is not clear (I often drove to '?' signs or other symbols, only to find nothing or a message telling me I should come back with another character).

I don't know how to acquire the third character (I can play with the rich dude and the black dude only).

The framerate is terrible and there are jaggies everywhere.

So yeah, GTA V is pretty much shit. I knew the flood of high reviews was suspiscious. I don't care if it's supposed to 'get better'. The game has run out of time to prove me it is worth mine.

As someone who played a lot of SA and has nearly finished V - you have some SERIOUS nostalgia goggles on, and you sound extremely lazy about doing the most basic things in this game - things that were way worse in SA. How did you finish SA if you can't handle the load times when you switch characters (maybe 10-15 seconds)? Missions start instantly here, unlike SA. C'mon son.

What did you expect of a Grand Theft AUTO game?

I don't buy a chess game when I don't like playing chess.

In my opinion, Grand Theft Auto is a game in which you play various missions, each following a particular storyline. Grand Theft Auto is a brand and a background (the expression comes from the American penal code) more than anything. Yes, you can drive cars, but so can you pilot boats, planes or bicycles, play tennis and so on and so forth. It's not the only activity nor the main one. If GTA was a driving game then why would Rockstar have hired writers and voice actors?. GTA is not Forza, Gran Turismo or even Burnout.

Driving is fine when the distances are short and there aren't too many obstacles but in this game you are forced to go through long roads and tedious amounts of traffic to go from one mission to another. The map is basically a giant mission selection screen in 3D, through which you have to drive to enter your choice. It certainly required a huge amount of work and technical achievements but it's inefficient for that purpose (a simple Mission Select menu in the Pause screen would have reduced the user's inputs to a few button presses).

Saints Row 4 implemented a decent workaround by giving your character superpowers. Cabs are bad too because, while they do reduce waiting times, it's still too long and you are penalized for it (skipping the cab driving part costs you money) and you're forced to stay in one place and do pretty much nothing. In SR4, however, flying and sprinting in Saints Row 4 does not eliminate travel times but it makes obstacles nonexistent and you can mess around in the air or on the ground so it doesn't kill all the fun.

As someone who played a lot of SA and has nearly finished V - you have some SERIOUS nostalgia goggles on, and you sound extremely lazy about doing the most basic things in this game - things that were way worse in SA. How did you finish SA if you can't handle the load times when you switch characters (maybe 10-15 seconds)? Missions start instantly here, unlike SA. C'mon son.
Still kinda confused. My longest character switch has maybe been 15 seconds once.

And you say you loved San Andreas? With its loading times on every mission? Interesting...

I haven't played San Andreas in 9 years so I must have become less patient since then. Perhaps the things I ignored back then would strike me as tedious today. I suppose it's best if I don't play it again.

wizzbang

Banned
Besides purchasing the game and telling other people it's great, how the fuck do I thank the team for this incredible game?
There's so many little things in this game which some developer sat in a meeting room fighting for, these tiny silly little touches which in 99.9% of games would never be added and 99.9% of the time wouldn't be noticed. Somehow, someone though has managed to add just immense detail to so many parts of this game.

The moon cycle seems to change, right now I'm paused as I type this and it's very close to a full moon, I can drive completely headlight free on the roads, it's much brighter, the lighting is fantastic.
I noticed my shadow was based positionally from the location of the moon itself.
It was so peaceful I shut the headlights off and just cruised the goddamn highway with the radio on at the speed limit, in first person view.
If you hit the rearview (R3) button while in FPS view, Trevor (presumably all) is then in the shot and he looks up at the goddamn rearview mirror - they animated that!

Sound design is often overlooked in games - not here, not even slightly. Again - some nerd developer(s) with a passion for good immersive sound, petitioned for a slice of the memory pie here and won.
When you stop a motorcycle you've just thrashed, the motor "ticks" as it cools down.
I walked past a body shop (NOT a pay n spray, a normal non functional / non enterable building) and you could hear the whirr of an air pneumatic drill for fucks sake!
The dialogue as you walk past people, that's been in GTA historically but it's so real. I walked the streets of my city today, for the first time after a 4 day GTA binge, it was just like the game, people on their phones, you just head a sentence snippet of conversation, it's magic.

The presentation of the story in this game is leaps and bounds better than previous GTA games (and I fucking LOVED GTAIV, loved it) - the way it's told, the setpieces are incredible such as (50% spoiler?)
the mission shooting down the jet with the high powered rifle and then chasing it on the motorbike
or whatabout (50% spoiler) the scene
where you steal the car from the parking lot, and it still has that actress in it - the end of that mission was the clincher for me, game of the generation
Then there's the (40% spoiler) OMG holy fuck amazing beautiful, incredible fucking scene where
Jimmy spikes the drink - that scene is fucking ...
incredible, it's amazing it's........ beautiful it's so well done, the music track that starts playing.

That's the other thing, did GTASA / 4 - did they have 'forced' music scenes (in game) like this does? Some of the heist / action music is brilliant - what about the chopper music at night? Jump in a chopper and this moody as fuck little tone comes on.

This game is mind boggling, it's fucking next level mind boggling. I had high expectations, I had extremely high expectations and it destroyed them. It just decimated them.
The draw distance, resolution, frame rate, detail are all higher than GTAIV - I expected an improvement but for 7 year old tech? How, how the fuck is this running in 512mb of ram? (and on my system, it's 256/256 - not shared)

I could write for days, I feel like there needs to be a thread just dedicated to the little details in the game. I've noticed so many and written so few down unfortunately - but just so many little amazing touches, SO MANY. I suspect a heap of them will never be noticed by most people.

I dunno, I just dunno what to say, these guys - I mean yes they sold a lot - but I just want to thank the whole group - they all come together to make something beautiful.
Best 4 days off work EVER. Fucking GOTG, straight up.
<3

JoshHood

Any idea what they're going to sell in the PlayStation/Xbox Games stores? Only thing I can think of other than adding the Blimp for sale later on is clothes and stuff for Online.
Given that there's a Store prompt (triangle) when in the clothes shops in single player, I'm guessing outfit microtransactions?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Major story point later in the game, around mission 51/52 I think.
Going back to North Yankton, daaaaaaaang, things have taken a pretty bad fucking turn here.

noomi

Guys, how can I toggle the flashlight on and off, is it even possible? Also someone asked if you can do the same with the silencer, was this answered?

The only way I know is if you can back to ammunition and remove it, but can it be on the fly?

paischtu

Neo Member
Anyone else get this glitch? Very mild spoilers up to maybe the first ten missions or so:

Wherein walking into Franklin's house while being chased by cops and causing his aunt to run out of the house, then loosing your wanted level in the house, which caused her to reappear in the house, and upon walking outside of the house literally an infinite amount of her, Lamar and that other dude pour out of the front door until the game locks up? I managed to snag two pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/LIcggNV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zqDCZSl.jpg

rofl that sounds too creepy.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Guys, how can I toggle the flashlight on and off, is it even possible? Also someone asked if you can do the same with the silencer, was this answered?

The only way I know is if you can back to ammunition and remove it, but can it be on the fly?

When you're selecting your weapon press left/right on the dpad to select modifications.

Lego Boss

This is my first post on the GAF and I'm going to use it to echo what everyone else is saying: This game is SO good. The lighting, the radio stations, the way Michael reacts when he loses a point at tennis (it's so much like me, it's uncanny!)

This really is a creative and technological tour de force. Kudos to R* and to all the people who do it justice with their wonderful photos from in the game.

I took three days off for it and now I'm back at work I'm 'jonesing badly' - in the vernacular of GTA IV.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished, it's pretty wonderful overall. I think GTA4 is better written in terms of dialogue, and RDR has a cooler arc and scenario, but as a whole, I think GTA5 is the best game Rockstar has ever made, and the best open world game so far. Very very impressive.

Ending spoilers so don't highlight unless you've beat the game!

When you choose the kill Michael path, at the end where you can choose to drop or pull him back up what happens if you pull him back up? Does the game then end or does it lead into the third ending?

KAP151

Just a normal day for Trevor...

0J9oSA.jpg

He woke up passed out hanging over a bridge rail. THis is a result of an argument with certain characters....

Ending spoilers so don't highlight unless you've beat the game!

When you choose the kill Michael path, at the end where you can choose to drop or pull him back up what happens if you pull him back up? Does the game then end or does it lead into the third ending?

I watched it on YT and...

it looked like the player tries to save him, but Michael headbutts him and falls to his death anyway.

Fjordson

That's the other thing, did GTASA / 4 - did they have 'forced' music scenes (in game) like this does? Some of the heist / action music is brilliant - what about the chopper music at night? Jump in a chopper and this moody as fuck little tone comes on.
If you mean like the original score, then no, V is the first in the series to have that. They did it a few times with licensed music (like Michael Jackson always on the radio when you first get into a car in Vice City) but never with a whole score like this.

It definitely adds a lot. The score is amazing. I'm finding myself actually turning the radio off in a lot of missions just so I can hear it.

FiraB

Banned
Just beat the main storyline, really enjoyed it.

My complaints for the writing in the start smoothed out greatly towards the last quarter of the game. Definitely be going through again to try the different heists in the game, so far it was definitely worth the wait. Glad I got to beat it before vacation in four days, it took me like 25 and a half hours to beat which is stellar but that's only with 61.3% of the game completed so I got a long way to go yet, plus all those gold medals...

javac

I drove up a mountain on a BMX and drove all the way down scot-free lol. My hand was hurting lol.

It's pissing me off that social club is having issues. Can't take pics half the time :(

Is there anyway to turn off the engine while in the car or have indicators when turning? Sounds like a weird request but I love dat immersion :p

dosh

The map is not clear (I often drove to '?' signs or other symbols, only to find nothing or a message telling me I should come back with another character).

They are color coded, like every missons icons on the map.

And you get the third character... by playing the story. Since he's introduced following a certain event.

As for the loading times, other than the one you get when the game starts, I didn't see any.

Just sky dived with some dude then had a race down the mountain. Man amazing. ;d

Haha, yeah, I loved the intro to that mission
the dialog with the dog was awesome

Grinchy

Banned
It surprises me when I see complaints about the visuals in this game. I mean sure, there are some little IQ issues caused by aliasing, but as a whole package, it's shocking that this is being done on a PS3. The lighting impresses me the most, but there are also some areas with great texture work too.

Nyx

In my opinion, Grand Theft Auto is a game in which you play various missions, each following a particular storyline. Grand Theft Auto is a brand and a background (the expression comes from the American penal code) more than anything. Yes, you can drive cars, but so can you pilot boats, planes or bicycles, play tennis and so on and so forth. It's not the only activity nor the main one. If GTA was a driving game then why would Rockstar have hired writers and voice actors?. GTA is not Forza, Gran Turismo or even Burnout.

Driving is fine when the distances are short and there aren't too many obstacles but in this game you are forced to go through long roads and tedious amounts of traffic to go from one mission to another. The map is basically a giant mission selection screen in 3D, through which you have to drive to enter your choice. It certainly required a huge amount of work and technical achievements but it's inefficient for that purpose (a simple Mission Select menu in the Pause screen would have reduced the user's inputs to a few button presses).

This has been the case since the original GTA so again, why did you buy a game which contains a lot of driving if you don't like to drive in games?

Top Bottom