• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

cdkee

Banned
For gaffers who are a fair bit into the game already, I have a question about one of the main characters in concern to the story (I think I'm about 5 or so hours in right now, but I spent a bit of that just messing and driving around).

(anyways question)
When do you get to play as Trevor? I just finished that Paparazzo mission as Franklin and the Michael mission where you infiltrate the Lifeinvader building to rig the phone to give a rough idea where I am right now.

You're only a few missions away. It's after the first heist.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So is it worth it to do those Strangers & Freaks missions? Those are the side quests, right?

Or is there other stuff to do? Where do you guys find these "random missions"?

Why wouldn't you do them? You will just find random events all over the game world.

Arcteryx

So is it worth it to do those Strangers & Freaks missions? Those are the side quests, right?

There are random missions around the place(flashing blue/red dot); most have you retrieving a car, purse, bike, etc stolen from someone.

Definitely?

Random stuff, there's a map-blip and the screen flashes for a second. Mostly just "give me a ride," "chase that thief" and ambushes though, just like RDR. Cool but ultimately unmemorable.

Marleyman

Banned
i'm guessing i'm about a third of the way through
just did the mission for the fib guy where mike has to escape the hospital
but here's a couple things i wanted to see but sadly/weirdly are missing:

-police missions/looking up criminals on the cop computers. i guess trevor's bounty thing is kind of a replacement but eh.

-burglaries a la san andreas. i understand that they may be small time compared to bank heists and shit but they were fun and would've worked well with the better stealth mechanics in v.

-cluckin bell/burger shot/enterable restaurants.

-more weapons. i like v's selection a lot better than iv's and the customization is great but why no katana, chainsaw, brass knuckles, revolver or flamethrower?

This is the main thing from 4 that I am missing in 5.

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah strangers are kind of the "meaty" side quests with cutscenes and lots of dialogue and all that stuff. Don't be put off by the 20 that's listed in the 100% checklist either, there's actually a LOT more than that according to Rockstar's Social Club site (same with miscellaneous/random events/activities too).

The random events are exactly that, you'll trigger them if you're near a certain part of the city at a certain time of day I'm assuming. As for miscellaneous I have no idea what that means, I guess it's an offshoot of random events but are in specific unmarked locations on the map. These aren't as long or in depth as the main missions or stranger missions but are more like weird things you see as you drive around the world.

Do we know which platform is best performance-wise for this?

I have a PS3 and 360, and could go retail or digital on either. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have a PS3 and 360, and could go retail or digital on either. Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

However, it's apparent that the PS3 version has an undeniable advantage in one area: even to the naked eye, ground textures on 360 are blurred as a result of what appears to be unoptimised asset streaming. Glitch or not, this basically amounts to concrete and grass textures appearing fuzzier beneath the feet of Trevor, Michael or Franklin, while the PS3 version's remain crystal clear. The 360 does command a minor advantage in frame-rate during synchronised play, but for shoot-outs and high-speed hurtles down the city streets, the PS3 can sometimes pull ahead in these metrics - though the difference is rarely perceptible either way. Since all else is identical across the board, the PS3 version is recommended on the grounds of image quality if you have the option.

Brizzo24

Oh man, I knew I was going to enjoy GTA V, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. I'm about 8-10 hours in.

I played GTA IV, twice. The first playthrough I got really close to finishing the game, though I got burnt out and lost my will to go any further—too much rampages and exploration. I picked it up again a few months ago and powered through the story (cheats—weapons and armor only, taking cabs.) I'm really glad I played through it again because I finished the story, grabbed a handful of achievements, and got a sense of comparison for GTA V.

My biggest concern prior to playing GTA V was performance. Surely I figured the amount of detail and things R* packed into the game wouldn't transfer well to the aging hardware. Boy was I wrong. Playing on 360 with the play disc not installed. No major hiccups, no graphical complaints—though some slight pop-in does occur, but it's hardly noticeable.

My favorite element is the three-character campaign. I'm actually really influenced by each character's mantra/attitude, which really took me by surprise.

Michael: I want to do good, despite his shitty life. I care for his family. I've played tennis with his wife, Amanda, called up his son to hang out, and also played a full round of golf. When I play as Michael I realize I am a very law-abiding citizen, when I'm not in a mission of course.

Franklin: Like Michael, I play the game conservatively as Franklin, meaning I don't fuck shit up too much. After playing through Franklin's missions and freak encounters you realize he's a nice dude, just trying to get 'his' in the crazy world of Los Santos. Haha, I actually only attack other gangs and people in his hood who mad dog him or say shit when I walk by. It's as if I have a reputation to uphold as Franklin, and I gotta be vigilant.

Trevor: Holy hell. I was pretty low-key until I got to this loony bag. Once I started playing as Trevor my inner GTA demon reared its ugly head. I find I'm much more violent as Trevor, mostly because of his nature and inability of being rationale. He just doesn't give a fuck, which transcends into my play style. As Trevor I've been sent to the hospital more times in a short while than M and F combined. Whenever I want to start some shit I like to play as him.

It's crazy to think how much the game benefits from this simple design. Having three protagonists is not only fun, but influences my playing style. OK, back to it...

i dont get bounty missions.... why did they give me a google map image. how would i recognize this topography :/

And how do you bring people in unharmed? Is there a stun gun or lasso or something?

The couple I've done have just given up and came with me. They might be with friends who will resist though.

Marleyman

Banned
Oh man, I knew I was going to enjoy GTA V, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. I'm about 8-10 hours in.

I played GTA IV, twice. The first playthrough I got really close to finishing the game, though I got burnt out and lost my will to go any further—too much rampages and exploration. I picked it up again a few months ago and powered through the story (cheats—weapons and armor only, taking cabs.) I'm really glad I played through it again because I finished the story, grabbed a handful of achievements, and got a sense of comparison for GTA V.

My biggest concern prior to playing GTA V was performance. Surely I figured the amount of detail and things R* packed into the game wouldn't transfer well to the aging hardware. Boy was I wrong. Playing on 360 with the play disc not installed. No major hiccups, no graphical complaints—though some slight pop-in does occur, but it's hardly noticeable.

My favorite element is the three-character campaign. I'm actually really influenced by each character's mantra/attitude, which really took me by surprise.

Michael: I want to do good, despite his shitty life. I care for his family. I've played tennis with his wife, Amanda, called up his son to hang out, and also played a full round of golf. When I play as Michael I realize I am a very law-abiding citizen, when I'm not in a mission of course.

Franklin: Like Michael, I play the game conservatively as Franklin, meaning I don't fuck shit up too much. After playing through Franklin's missions and freak encounters you realize he's a nice dude, just trying to get 'his' in the crazy world of Los Santos. Haha, I actually only attack other gangs and people in his hood who mad dog him or say shit when I walk by. It's as if I have a reputation to uphold as Franklin, and I gotta be vigilant.

Trevor: Holy hell. I was pretty low-key until I got to this loony bag. Once I started playing as Trevor my inner GTA demon reared its ugly head. I find I'm much more violent as Trevor, mostly because of his nature and inability of being rationale. He just doesn't give a fuck, which transcends into my play style. As Trevor I've been sent to the hospital more times in a short while than M and F combined. Whenever I want to start some shit I like to play as him.

It's crazy to think how much the game benefits from this simple design. Having three protagonists is not only fun, but influences my playing style. OK, back to it...

Awesome post and I play the 3 characters basically the same as you do. I have been in the hospital so much w/ Trevor; I need to check the medical bill for him when I get home lol

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
What's the situation with Gaming Age Family? Assuming we were packed in there and there was a purge that I missed? I haven't had a ton of time to keep up with GAF while I've been frantically playing.

Just submitted a request, is there someone specific I should message about that? I'm a very active PS3 player with a headset+mic.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not looking forward to finishing this game, its be a great ride so far, but once it is finished that is kind of the meat of the game done, its been so much fun it is one of the few games I've purposely avoided playing too much so as not to go through it too quickly. I think the few things that would want from previous games are the emergency mission stuff, getting into a police car and chasing down criminals used to be great, same for ambulance and firetruck stuff. There should also be smaller random heists we can plan and do, like stealing a train and such like, small bit of planning and just having some fun with it.

If GTAO has heists that are anything like the ones in SP it will be simply fantastic fun, and hopefully R* are hard at work on some sweet DLC.

Brizzo24

Playing on old model XB360 w/ 60g HD. I installed mandatory disc, and am playing the 'play' disc uninstalled as suggested.

Game runs very well for me. I too was very worried about performance and whatnot. It's actually a lot smoother than I anticipated. Better even than GTA IV in my opinion. No framerate dips&#8212;though you will encounter some slight pop-in here and there.

I really wish Gold/Silver mission completion objectives were told to you before you start the mission, rather than after. I'd be fine if they even gave you the cryptic name of the objective first and wouldn't give you the Start Menu details until after you finished the mission.

Aleph

Random event near Sandy Shores:
I was driving to Sandy Shores as Michael, when 3 rednecks riding motorcycles approached my vehicle and started asking if I was an illegal inmigrant. I tried ignoring them but one of them opened fire, I crashed my car and died :-|

It would be amazing if they made an expansion playing off bad slasher/suspense movies with a female lead, for once, lots of eerie music and bizarre missions to investigate shit and crazy characters to meet and help as you unravel the mysteries of Blaine County. You could be a reporter or journalist looking into something, even big foot or the cult and shit just starts to go downhill. It would be great if they gave it an Undead Nightmare feel to it, but not so extreme, just a bit more off than the usual GTA, enough to set it apart from the "reality" of the series.

My God, this would be fantastic. Someone send this idea to Rockstar.

Yup, I like to go East to West across Alamo Sea and then under/over the bridge and along the river to the ocean is amazing. As well, skillfully ascending and descending Mt Chiliad or Mt Josiah, or any of the map really, and hugging the ground while panning the camera just right is so fantastic.

So much opportunities for atmosphere and fear with those areas.

Dreaver

I'm going to try choppers with the motion sensor... wondering if that will help. Just thought of it a few mins ago (forgot there was motion sensor support). The damn things are just too squirrely!

I got 2:45 on the first one for a silver after several attempts, and that felt like luck. And with the highest flight skill. I can't do it either. No problem with the planes.

edit: What's the best way to make money in this game? Any stock tips? Mission Spoilers
not counting the assassination missions

edit 2: Also can you pick a response to e-mail replies, it says you can but I've only ever seen one response?
Took me a little while but got it! 2.30. :D

Plasmid

Hanging out in shifty places

TlS3VBQ.jpg

Piggus

i dont get bounty missions.... why did they give me a google map image. how would i recognize this topography :/

And how do you bring people in unharmed? Is there a stun gun or lasso or something?

There is a stun gun, yes. Though I haven't unlocked it yet and I'm about 30% in.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm disappointed that none of these Hush Smush women are sending me emails. Seems like they could lead to some hilarious conversations.

QP3

question about a property
the hangar. when you buy the property, does it generate money? or do you only get money from the missions, or it makes money after you complete all of the missions?

Makes money on it's own. You get an email I believe informing you that you have been paid.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
question about a property
the hangar. when you buy the property, does it generate money? or do you only get money from the missions, or it makes money after you complete all of the missions?

Yes and Yes and I don't know.. Some require you do stuff some just give you a weekly cut.

Plasmid

So, I already asked about sunglasses, and GAF delivered.
What about motorcycle helmets? Can they be purchased, and if so, where?

Get on a bike, and they'll put it on, after about 5-10 seconds of walking around though they take it off and you can't just put it on.

Just went to get a haircut and what the hell it was getting robbed? Amazing random event.

uberluigi

Banned
Is it possible to change the crosshairs or at least change the color of the dot?
Also
why does Johnny take shit from Trevor and apologize about his girl getting fucked? Never played the lost dlc for gta4

Loudninja

Is it possible to change the crosshairs or at least change the color of the dot?
Also
why does Johnny take shit from Trevor and apologize about his girl getting fucked? Never played the lost dlc for gta4
You can change the crosshairs to complex in the pause menu.

Also

I don't know if there's backstory involved with that or not; I just took it as
establishing everyone is afraid of Trevor, even someone like Johnny.

Plasmid

Also

GTA IV Spoiler
In TLAD Johnny's motor club loses it's president and club and they leave town. In GTA V Johnny is addicted to meth and basically lets trevor say whatever (including sex with his girlfriend).

Almost all my characters have beards, michael looks like jeff bridges i think.

C05qzTW.jpg

Eidan

Is it me, or is Lamar a lot taller than Franklin in cutscenes as opposed to gameplay, where they both look to be the same height.

uberluigi

Banned
You can change the crosshairs to complex in the pause menu.
Thanks will try when I get home.

GTA IV Spoiler
In TLAD Johnny's motor club loses it's president and club and they leave town. In GTA V Johnny is addicted to meth and basically lets trevor say whatever (including sex with his girlfriend).

ok that makes sense now lol

Top Bottom