• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics Whores: Why are fire effects in games so lame?

Journeywalker said:
I would argue that water has a long way to go, perhaps moreso than fire if RE4 is a benchmark. Yes, water has been mastered as a surface with nice reflection, refraction, undulation, and other effects, but volumetric fluid mechanics are just too processor-intesive for this generation of consoles. I haven't been keeping a close eye on HL2, but does it have any effects like this? I may be optimistic, but I'd love to see something like Pikmin 3 with full water interactivity--stuff like breaking down a dam to flood an area or rain that isn't just an overlay effect.

You should try Wave RAce: BS, the water physics are the best in this generation.

miyuru

For it's time (and it still has better fire than a lot of games today even), Kingpin's flamethrower rocked! It was awesome making boards char as well.

Journeywalker said:
I would argue that water has a long way to go, perhaps moreso than fire if RE4 is a benchmark. Yes, water has been mastered as a surface with nice reflection, refraction, undulation, and other effects, but volumetric fluid mechanics are just too processor-intesive for this generation of consoles. I haven't been keeping a close eye on HL2, but does it have any effects like this? I may be optimistic, but I'd love to see something like Pikmin 3 with full water interactivity--stuff like breaking down a dam to flood an area or rain that isn't just an overlay effect.

Wave Race: BS.

That water isn't just a surface...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Mother Nature test in 3Dmark2003 is the best water I've seen.

Top Bottom