• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA VI should only run at 30fps on PS5 Pro, says Digital Foundry

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
May I interest you in some wheels?
Sally Kohn Gay GIF by The Opposite of Hate

Three

A guess based on the scope of the trailer itself and how hard Rockstar goes in with simulation of everything. It could be wrong or it could be right, but criticising them over speculation seems odd.
But again they did the same crap guesswork with PS5 in general:

Read the completely now comical take "of a path not taken" and "the difference between systems" based on a trailer.
Just because a trailer exists to show the game in the best graphics possible doesn't mean there is no 60fps mode or even the possibility of a 60fps mode. Not saying there will be for GTA6 but what DF do so prematurely is stupid and borderline intentional at this point.

Last edited:
Once again, read my last couple of posts. Could VI have a 60fps mode? Yes, but I don't see R* as the kind of developer who makes a stripped down presented version of their game for it.

I think the difference here is that things have changed drastically since R* released their last game. Having a performance mode is pretty much standard these days. I can't even remember the last big game I played that didn't have some sort of performance mode with it. Devs weren't catching flak for releasing their games with no performance mode or only at 30 FPS when R* released their last game.

I'd honestly be shocked if they didn't have a performance mode honestly.

onQ123

But again they did the same crap guesswork with PS5 in general:

Read the completely now comical take "of a path not taken" and "the difference between systems" based on a trailer.
Just because a trailer exists to show the game in the best graphics possible doesn't mean there is no 60fps mode or even the possibility of a 60fps mode. Not saying there will be for GTA5 but what DF do so prematurely is stupid and borderline intentional at this point.

That article should be posted anytime they speak of upcoming consoles lol

They also jump the gun when they thought Xbox Series X was going to push 120fps when PS5 couldn't

Bojji

I actually disagree with DF here, and I think they made this assumption prior to understanding the Pro more. I honestly can’t see any reason why R* couldn’t use a lower resolution, with PSSR enabled at 60fps.

Resolution drop won't help you if you are CPU limited. That's why IF this game is CPU limited it should hit the same framerate ceiling on both PS5 and PS5 Pro (and even Series X).

If Rockstar developed this game with 60fps mode in mind from the start then this game will obviously have it. This 30fps assumption is based on how busy and potentially CPU heavy trailer looks.

I'm in team: 30, maybe 40FPS. For me 40FPS is enough for decent gaming on OLED so I would be fine with it.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I actually disagree with DF here, and I think they made this assumption prior to understanding the Pro more. I honestly can’t see any reason why R* couldn’t use a lower resolution, with PSSR enabled at 60fps.
Rockstar has a financial incentive not to make it 60fps on the Pro. It will make less players double dip on PC and less copies will be sold when GTA 6 inevetiably re-releases on next-gen consoles in 2028

Sony would have to throw a big bag of money at them for this to occur. And Sony is already paying 500+million just for the marketing and bundling rights

Last edited:
Rockstar has a financial incentive not to make it 60fps on the Pro. It will make less players double dip on PC and less copies will be sold when GTA 6 inevetiably re-releases on next-gen consoles in 2028
The problem is devs are catching a lot flak for doing 30 FPS now. This isn't like before when 30 FPS was the standard on consoles. 30 FPS is no longer the standard and when a game is announced as only 30 FPS it gets a lot of negativity because of that. I honestly wont even play a game that doesn't have a performace mode. 30 FPS really hurts my eyes now and makes games very hard to play for me.

Is R* willing to risk releasing a 30 FPS game mode in this climate? Maybe but I have my doubts that they are not going to do what pretty much every dev out there is doing right now. At the very least I think we get a 40+fps mode maybe not full 60.

Resolution drop won't help you if you are CPU limited. That's why IF this game is CPU limited it should hit the same framerate ceiling on both PS5 and PS5 Pro (and even Series X).

If Rockstar developed this game with 60fps mode in mind from the start then this game will obviously have it. This 30fps assumption is based on how busy and potentially CPU heavy trailer looks.

I'm in team: 30, maybe 40FPS. For me 40FPS is enough for decent gaming on OLED so I would be fine with it.

Tell me which mystical game is CPU limited to 30fps on a Ryzen 7 5600X please?

XXL

"PS5 Pro can't do 8K" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't sell" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro can't do 4K 120fps on AAA games" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro cost more than an equivalent gaming PC" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't improves framerates" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro can't do 4K 60fps and RT with AAA games" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't improves Dragon's Dogma's Frame Rate because of the CPU" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't run GTA VI at 60fps" - ???
Funny GIF

I have no clue if GTA VI will be 60fps or not, but people should probably stop making predictions about what the PS5 Pro can't do for a little while.....

Last edited:

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
The problem is devs are catching a lot flak for doing 30 FPS now. This isn't like before when 30 FPS was the standard on consoles. 30 FPS is no longer the standard and when a game is announced as only 30 FPS it gets a lot of negativity because of that. I honestly wont even play a game that doesn't have a performace mode. 30 FPS really hurts my eyes now and makes games very hard to play for me.

Is R* willing to risk releasing a 30 FPS game mode in this climate? Maybe but I have my doubts that they are not going to do what pretty much every dev out there is doing right now. At the very least I think we get a 40+fps mode maybe not full 60.
There really have not been many games this generation that have pushed the hardware. 30 FPS is going to become much more frequent the further we get into this generation, imo.

Rockstar will do everything possible to squeeze as much out of the current Gen systems as possible at 30 FPS. They plan for GTA 6 to last 10-15 years. And Rockstar is not going to single out one piece of hardware that accounts for less than 10% of its sales. Hell, Rockstar hasn't even made a 60fps patch for RDR2 on PS5/Series consoles. It's a pipe dream expecting this for a niche console in the PS5 Pro

There really have not been many games this generation that have pushed the hardware. 30 FPS is going to become much more frequent the further we get into this generation, imo.

Rockstar will do everything possible to squeeze as much out of the current Gen systems as possible at 30 FPS. They plan for GTA 6 to last 10-15 years. And Rockstar is not going to single out one piece of hardware that accounts for less than 10% of its sales. Hell, Rockstar hasn't even made a 60fps patch for RDR2 on PS5/Series consoles. It's a pipe dream expecting this for a niche console in the PS5 Pro

I don't think they are going to do it just for the Pro that's the thing. I think they are going to do it for all the consoles. Like I said a performance mode is basically the standard this gen. Very few games are coming out with just 30 FPS mode. I honestly don't even know the last game I played that was only 30 FPS but then again I wouldn't play it if that's the case.

Will see if more games become 30 FPS but I don't think they are. Sony has the stats and so do developers. People prefer and want performance mode and when they dont get it developers catch heat because of it. Just look at the Avowed devs when they had to tell Cog and Matty that it was 30 FPS. They knew it wasn't a good luck and were uncomfortable saying it. Developers know 30 FPS is a being seen as a negative thing these days.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I don't think they are going to do it just for the Pro that's the thing. I think they are going to do it for all the consoles. Like I said a performance mode is basically the standard this gen. Very few games are coming out with just 30 FPS mode. I honestly don't even know the last game I played that was only 30 FPS but then again I wouldn't play it if that's the case.

Will see if more games become 30 FPS but I don't think they are. Sony has the stats and so do developers. People prefer and want performance mode and when they dont get it developers catch heat because of it. Just look at the Avowed devs when they had to tell Cog and Matty that it was 30 FPS. They knew it wasn't a good luck and were uncomfortable saying it. Developers know 30 FPS is a being seen as a negative thing these days.
Just look at the trailer of gta 6. No other game is pushing the envelope like that. Rockstar surely wants some kind of parity between PS5, the Xbox Series X, and the Series S. No way the Swries S is running that game at 60

And games like Avowed and Starfield got a bunch of extra shit because their games didn't push graphical limits at all. It's absurd they are not 60 FPS at launch. It was just poor optimization by the developers. But if the next Naughty Dog or CDPR game has cutting edge visuals, console gamers will be much more forgiving, just like we will be with GTA 6

DavidGzz

Anyone think it's possible Rockstar does this on purpose just to get another huge swell of sales on PS6 and NeXtbox in 2027? Going from PSSR upres to native 4k isn't a big deal but 30 to 60 fps is. I hope they don't of course. I have a Pro secured, but I can see it happening. Even RDR 2 isn't 60 on consoles.

I find it funny how the argument is made here again.

Firstly, PS5 Pro improvements are mandatory. It's in the Sony documents.

Secondly, it acts as if the CPU had to display more than 60fps. We're talking just 60fps here.

If huge crowds are shown in a trailer, it doesn't mean that you have to implement it that way in the game. If the CPU doesn't manage to render in 60fps, you just have to reduce the number of vehicles or NPCs.

The fact that you don't program a 60fps performance because you want to collect extra money is complete nonsense. This is simply because the game is so expensive and of course there will be a PS6 version because the game is constantly being expanded and whether there will even be a GTAVII is very questionable.

As before, the only official tweet a developer has made is that he is optimistic that there will be a 60fps performance mode.

Digital clownry can say so much. They don't know shit about game development nor do they know how much the CPU is used in the Pro.

Last edited:

Sony would have to throw a big bag of money at them for this to occur. And Sony is already paying 500+million just for the marketing and bundling rights

By that logic they should purposely nerf the pc version so it looks epic on the colossal ps6 launch

Oh wow, I change my mind then..

RDR2, every version including the best one (Xbox Series X V.100) is a damn Xbox One game, and looks better than 90% or more of free-roams on the market today.

And absolutely speechless at dismissing what developing GTA V on a 360/PS3 meant simply because it "ran at 25fps".

RDR2 runs at rock solid 60fps with PS4 Pro settings on a modded PS5 in backwards mode.

One of the scummiest decisions this generation is Rockstar not patching RDR2 for 60 fps!

Det

Neo Member
Their negative assumptions always seem to pattern in one direction.
At the launch of the Xbox SX and PS5 the pattern was always the same.

They questioned and problematized everything on the PS5:
"I don't know, look at the 5700XT overclocked to 2.2ghz, it didn't improve performance at all"

Xbox with split memory equal to Geforce GTX 970? "everything is great, MS said there is no problem"

The standard is to always question everything Sony does, that Sony is always wrong until proven otherwise and even after being proven it still "could be a bug"
With the Xbox everything is perfect until proven otherwise

Bojji

Tell me which mystical game is CPU limited to 30fps on a Ryzen 7 5600X please?

I don't know why you are talking about 5600X that is much stronger than PS5/SX/Pro CPU but there are games limited on it:

WD Legion (you won't see 60FPS locked on it with RT), Jedi Survivor with RT still drops below 60 on the latest patch with RT and it was much, much worse before, Warhammer probably, Baldurs Gate 3 in act 3, the Witcher 3 with RT, Gotham Knights with RT (duh) and few more.

It's not 30 fps experience but "can't reach locked 60" CPU limit on 5600x for sure. And that 5600X is much more powerful than console CPUs. Xbox CPU (4800S) was already tested in PC environment and it was AT BEST on the level of 3600 - not to mention this part on PC was clocked to 4GHz compared to ~3.5GHz on various consoles.

YKDOgh6.jpeg
pJmLHgD.jpeg
8DjVhNp.jpeg
GD98Z4c.jpeg
y5h4rk8.jpeg
ibA7fuA.jpeg
wKdAZSB.jpeg

You can say that consoles have more optimized apis and other stuff - for sure but this CPU on PS5 has lower clocks, access to less cores in games and is even more cut down version compared to Xbox CPU. Pro just adds 10% to that at best.

One of the scummiest decisions this generation is Rockstar not patching RDR2 for 60 fps!

Hackers already showed that it's locked 60FPS. They would even have room to improve image quality. But Rockstar will always be Rockstar...

RoadHazard

Gold Member

If the game is CPU limited due to heavy NPC simulations etc it doesn't matter how low you make the resolution.

Although, and someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer this: Why don't games decouple game logic and rendering so that for example NPC AI etc is updated at half rate but then animation blended to LOOK like it's updating at 60hz? Why does a game being CPU limited have to mean it can't still render at 60?

Audiophile

If the base system is hitting mid to high 30s internally before being limited to 30 then I'd hope the pro could tap 40 and give us a 40fps/120Hz mode.

But I really don't wanna see 60 as no matter which way you cut it, even if it's optional, the fundamental design of a game like this will be limited when it comes to the world, the simulation etc. I'd rather it be the best it can be out of the gate seeing as this is gonna be a game with a long shelf life.

60fps can be added on PC a ~year later, on the next Xbox probably 2yrs later and the next PlayStation probably 2-3yrs later. But if the game is limited on its world simulation then odds are it's gonna be stuck like that indefinitely.

A temporary limit to framerate is better than a permanent limit to the core game. The true next gen feature a lot of us have been clamouring for in this climate of PS4 games with cranked pixels... is rich, living, breathing dynamic worlds and it'd suck to see that impeded outright for something that can be added later on very easily; especially on a game where 30/40fps are perfectly adequate relative to a first person title for eg..

R* are the top of the heap by a significant margin amongst only a few studios who truly have the means and ability to push us to the next level in these areas (and hopefully give the rest of the industry a kick up the arse by setting a standard). Having every drop of CPU resources available to do it would be preferable, cutting them in ~half when 90% of those who much prefer 60fps will likely cave at launch anyway; and of those who don't, they'll cave for the 60fps remaster in a few years or even a PC version a ~year later.

There's probably not gonna be another mainline GTA til the late 2030s and the cynic in me says there probably aren't a lot of studios inclined to step up to the plate to move things forward. Let's not miss the boat.

There's a reason so many games have hit 60fps this gen and it's because they're either literal PS4 games or very close to being PS4 games with some extra bells and whistles. Very little has truly moved forward.

Give me 1440p>PSSR>4K @ 40fps on the Pro with the visuals we saw in the trailer and a rich world; and I'll be very happy.

Base PS5 could do 1440p>TAAU>4K @ 30fps with the RT RTGI & Reflection accuracy dialled back.

And then when PS6 comes along, 1440p>"PSSR2">4K @ 60fps (and possibly frame gen to 120?) with the RT RTGI, Reflections dialed up + Shadows.

Last edited:

hinch7

And it's still going to be the best running version of the game for one or even two years...
Microsoft are gearing up for a next generation console and handheld, so I wouldn't bet on that. No doubt hitting GTA VI launch period will be a priority for them.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
If the game is CPU limited due to heavy NPC simulations etc it doesn't matter how low you make the resolution.

Although, and someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer this: Why don't games decouple game logic and rendering so that for example NPC AI etc is updated at half rate but then animation blended to LOOK like it's updating at 60hz? Why does a game being CPU limited have to mean it can't still render at 60?
Couldn’t they just have a limit on NPCs etc., for a 60fps mode?

It’ll be interesting to get more details from R*.

In truth, with the game already being threatened by delay, I’d settle for it just being released next year tbh, even if it didn’t have Pro improvements.

XXL

Updated version

"PS5 Pro will run MH Wilds at an unstable 30fps" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro can't do 8K" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't sell" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro can't do 4K 120fps on AAA games" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro cost more than an equivalent gaming PC" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't improves framerates" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro can't do 4K 60fps and RT with AAA games" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't improves Dragon's Dogma's Frame Rate because of the CPU" - Wrong
"PS5 Pro won't run GTA VI at 60fps" - ???

sherlock-watson.gif

Top Bottom