• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA VI should only run at 30fps on PS5 Pro, says Digital Foundry

JimboJones

I'm guessing because their Nvidia sponsor foresees the Pro as far more competition for it s 4060-4080 lineup of GPUs and beyond for the new DF led Nvidia consumer and they probably know that a Pro at £800 is a big chunk of spend potentially taking £1100-1500 new PC buyers out of buying both eventually and just falling back to console.
This post was brought to you by AMD & Sony.

Microsoft can not in good faith release a mid gen refresh. They’re more than capable of it and have the financials to do so. However, they screwed themselves over by releasing the Series S and acting like the Series X was the mid-gen/pro model.
Do they want at this point release a new rushed mid-gen (using same CPU) console? Last time they did it didnt work out very well for them.

Chad Warden

Banned
When the pc version inevitably drops; It will run at 60fps on a zen2 processor. GPU and settings dependant.
Series X and ps5 could run this game at 60fps at lower settings. The game will be the same old shit dialed up by rockstar.

Last edited:

Preseznik

Neo Member
It definitely is, but the game itself is not. We saw shitloads of character on screen with amazing animation, but we don't know how many cycles that all takes or even if the final game is going to reach quite that level. Without getting to see recommended pc specs, I won't be confident either way until rockstar just comes out and says it. It could break either way. Actually I'd be inclined to believe some solid leakers, too. DF though? Ha.
That is true, but knowing Rockstar, the finished game will be at least as impressive. It's always possible they were bullshitting us with that trailer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So, if the game runs 1080@60 fps and pssr makes it 4K the system is a miracle? That does not seem out of the pro’s league.

PSSR and up-scaling won't help much in CPU constrained games, which DF think GTA VI will be. So, it might make it run at a higher resolution, but if the base game doesn't have a 60 fps mode, the Pro adding one would be unlikely.

Crayon

That is true, but knowing Rockstar, the finished game will be at least as impressive. It's always possible they were bullshitting us with that trailer, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm not expecting a real downgrade.The visuals themselves I think can look as good as the trailer. The crowds could be turned down, though. That's the main thing that looks cpu intensive. A 60fps mode might turn down those crowds more. Spider-Man did that.

Preseznik

Neo Member
I'm not expecting a real downgrade.The visuals themselves I think can look as good as the trailer. The crowds could be turned down, though. That's the main thing that looks cpu intensive. A 60fps mode might turn down those crowds more. Spider-Man did that.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Cyberpunkd

the profit margins on that "premium" product must be amazing.
Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

There are two ways to do it - the Apple way, when the base model has the highest margin (car companies do that as well), or the Sony way, where your most expensive machine is for suckers.

PaintTinJr

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

There are two ways to do it - the Apple way, when the base model has the highest margin (car companies do that as well), or the Sony way, where your most expensive machine is for suckers.
It isn't really a fair comparison, because car companies have no incentive for you to even drive the car after you bought it. PlayStation need you to be buying their 30% marked up tyres every month, and it is those at the bottom buying the low margin cars statistically offer PlayStation the greatest chance of catching tyre whales.

PaintTinJr

PSSR and up-scaling won't help much in CPU constrained games, which DF think GTA VI will be. So, it might make it run at a higher resolution, but if the base game doesn't have a 60 fps mode, the Pro adding one would be unlikely.
That's complete rubbish, servicing shader and compute based GPU workloads are proportional to native resolution, so lowering resolution frees up bandwidth and lowers compute latencies, giving more headroom back to the main primary single CPU core that controls the multi-threading and issuing of state changes to the GPU.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

This "CPU constrained" bandwagon all the last nay-sayers seem to be on is falling apart with all the leaks that are going around. The general impression of the pro and it's price seems to turning around pretty fast. The CPU is powerfull enough to feed that beefy GPU up to even 120fps (depending on the engine offcourse) and that's without the dedicated PSSR chip. That $599 xbox series x 2tb will look like an enormous turd once $699 PS5 pro is showing its muscles. Stil a shame pro will be 800 euro.

MMaRsu

"This "CPU constrained" bandwagon all the last nay-sayers seem to be on is falling apart with all the leaks that are going around. "

Lol, how so? The Zen 2 CPU is old af.

"That $599 xbox series x 2tb will look like an enormous turd once $699 PS5 pro is showing its muscles."

Lmao cmon man stop defending plastic boxes like it's your wife it's so pathetic

Last edited:

Portugeezer

His reasoning isn't bad. If the game is heavy on the CPU (an it probably will be) then the PS5 Pro upgrades won't improve much on it. I don't think they'll lower the scope of the game for 60fps.

Maybe the game will have a 40fps mode for those with 120Hz TV.

They should be giving games the option to run at 45. It would be a good balance.
On a 60hz or 120hz screen 45fps would likely have frame pacing issues. It would feel smoother targeting 40fps on a 120hz screen.

45fps on Steam Deck OLED feels great, because the screen is 90hz.

DF said the same shit about Plague tale, and the game is running now around 80fps in consoles.
Exactly. They were so happy that this game existed so they could push their 30fps narrative (mainly targeted against Playstation as sadly for them Xbox exclusives still had 30fps only games). Did they publish an apology after the game was patched to 60fps? "We were wrong, any CPU bound game can be patched to 60fps"

They won't publish and apology for GTA6 either if that one has a 60fps mode.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Doesn't jive because now they are claiming it will require a "miracle". I think if they would not have used such an hyperbolic choice of words this wouldn't be controversial at all.

But generating controversy is DF's bread and butter and so where we are.
You don't think that a perf mode with locked 60 in what is probably gonna be the heaviest game of the gen is not a miracle for a console with such an old cpu?

You don't think that a perf mode with locked 60 in what is probably gonna be the heaviest game of the gen is not a miracle for a console with such an old cpu?
I do think the 30fps footage they showed in the trailer is already impressive on its own. Native 1440p, RTGI and RT reflections. They could remove the RT which would significantly reduce CPU load, reduce the resolution to 1080p on base console and the game should be able to run at an improved framerate. It's not like the 60fps mode on PS5 is already locked, it's not. And with VRR people are not demanding that either. As long as it stays above 50fps most of time, people will be happy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I do think the 30fps footage they showed in the trailer is already impressive on its own. Native 1440p, RTGI and RT reflections. They could remove the RT which would significantly reduce CPU load, reduce the resolution to 1080p on base console and the game should be able to run at an improved framerate. It's not like the 60fps mode on PS5 is already locked, it's not. And with VRR people are not demanding that either. As long as it stays above 50fps most of time, people will be happy.
I have my fair share of doubts but everything is possible i guess.

I think that a 40hz option is the best people can hope tbh.

PaintTinJr

His reasoning isn't bad. If the game is heavy on the CPU (an it probably will be) then the PS5 Pro upgrades won't improve much on it. I don't think they'll lower the scope of the game for 60fps.

Maybe the game will have a 40fps mode for those with 120Hz TV.
It is bad.

Consoles provide hardware partitioning mechanisms of compute/ram to run a lightweight real-time OS that is responsive regardless of game workload which then affords game developers the freedom to utilise every last resource remaining in a deterministic fashion that is free for their game vision. The same Zen2 mobile CPU on a PC running windows would crash under the same scenario because the OS takes whatever it wants whenever it wants and that means developers can't push hardware as hard and need 30% more headroom on PC above and beyond a basic hardware cost of running windows.

We are also in a period where there is virtually no bad CPUs at this level for real-time OSes.

JimboJones

On a 60hz or 120hz screen 45fps would likely have frame pacing issues. It would feel smoother targeting 40fps on a 120hz screen.

45fps on Steam Deck OLED feels great, because the screen is 90hz.
Actually the LCD Steamdeck simply downclocks the screen refresh rate to 45htz. Worse latency than running it on the oled with the 90htz screen though.
You should be able to get away with 45 on PS5 if they allow variable refresh rate and on a supported TV/monitor.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

cpu seems fast enough for the purpose it was build for.
u mad or something? The whole internets are comparing dollars vs performance with the ps5 pro or any other pc hardware for that matter. I dont like the price of the pre esprecially in europe but it seems we are getting a lot of bang for the buck. Why do you feel the need to defend your statements like it's your wife, i can say the same thing.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

u mad bro?

No I think it's absolutely pathetic. As a PC users mostly, who has had and played with most of the consoles in the past.

This dumb shit as if Playstation cares for you, no they don't, they see a money bag customer.

Pretending one is so much better than the other when that clearly isn't the case makes me think you're like 14 or something.

Actually the LCD Steamdeck simply downclocks the screen refresh rate to 45htz. Worse latency than running it on the oled with the 90htz screen though.
You should be able to get away with 45 on PS5 if they allow variable refresh rate and on a supported TV/monitor.
The VRR window on PS5 starts at 48Hz so 45fps will likely have frame pacing issues. Sony should really put some time into looking at the VRR window though as this isn't wide enough.

Sw0pDiller

This dumb shit as if Playstation cares for you, no they don't, they see a money bag customer.
Where do you get this idea that they take care of me? i am in their ecosystem for games and services yes, and i quit like it there.
Pretending one is so much better than the other when that clearly isn't the case makes me think you're like 14 or something.
well, we can surely state that a ps5 pro for 100 dollar more than a series x 2tb is the better deal.

Mayar

Honestly, I'm all in for it running at 30 FPS. So that everyone who buys PRO can survive having their asses blown up. And maybe after that we'll start thinking with our heads.

The market works on the principle that demand creates supply, it has always been and will be. And as long as people invest their money in buying things that do not move the industry forward, but only drive it further into a dead end.
We will not get out of this ass. This is probably one of the weakest generations of consoles and this is aggravated by the very deplorable state of the industry itself, so to be honest, the release of PRO in this generation raises a huge number of questions. Especially considering how weak the presentation itself was, where they basically showed "Look how well the games that were made for PS4 work", thank you very much, apparently this should make me feel better.

The absence of a drive in the base is absolutely not surprising, companies will continue to try to sell people digital products and teach them that buying air and not owning something is normal. This is where we are moving very quickly and rapidly, so this move from Sony did not surprise me at all.

In short, PRO is actually the sum of all the worst trends in the industry over the past few years, which you are offered to buy for 800 - 1000 (if you want a drive). At the same time, they can't even show it properly and present it in such a way as to justify its presence on the market.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
DF said the same shit about Plague tale, and the game is running now around 80fps in consoles.

Yeah but that game launched without a Performance mode. They added one after the fact.

Will R* do that? Will GTA VI even have that kind of headroom? With Plague Tale, the developer went in and reduced world geometrical detail, rat swarm complexity etc to compensate.

R* haven't even added a 60fps mode to RDR2 and it took 2 generations away from it before GTA V got one.

Once again, read my last couple of posts. Could VI have a 60fps mode? Yes, but I don't see R* as the kind of developer who makes a stripped down presented version of their game for it.

"This "CPU constrained" bandwagon all the last nay-sayers seem to be on is falling apart with all the leaks that are going around. "

"That $599 xbox series x 2tb will look like an enormous turd once $699 PS5 pro is showing its muscles."

Thank you for covering that post for me lol.

Topher

Gold Member

No because some people acted like it would be a miracle if PS5 were able to stand toe to toe with XSX and yet here we are. I'm just at the point where I don't buy assumptions anymore. Let's see the game first and then see what the hardware can do with it. Miracles have nothing to do with it. Either it can do it or it can't.

Either way, if it has anything I think it is going to be a "performance mode" rather than a "locked 60fps".

MMaRsu

Where do you get this idea that they take care of me? i am in their ecosystem for games and services yes, and i quit like it there.

well, we can surely state that a ps5 pro for 100 dollar more than a series x 2tb is the better deal.

Thats fine, but you're acting like one is above the other, when in fact, they are extremely similar.

Your preference for a plastic box is just based on preference, not fact.

So to 'clown' on the other plastic box, seems surefire stupid.

Define deal. Yes it offers better performance than a Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom