• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
Does Chillingsworth aka Leaf even read these forums?

Either way, I've been trying to adapt his new PvP engi build into a condi/cc/gadget zero-kit build. Conceptually it should work- lock them down with CC while the conditions tick away. But in practice the results were poor; I could win most 1v1s but had trouble with opposing conditions and would get focused hard in longer fights.

So I've switched to Chillingsworth's build: XIII traits in the first two lines, rifle, zerk amulet. On paper it's even squishier than the previous build but it works somehow because of the dps. And I get to bring my beloved gadgets (rocket boots + super speed 4 life). Definitely worth trying for those who don't click with kits and decry the immobility of turrets. But super squishy; I'm going to have to build in some defense.

This is my first extended use of the engi rifle skills, however, and I still find them kind of strange. The 3-4-5 skills have ranges of 500-400-700 respectively, and are arguably best at <200 range. Yet an indisputably powerful weapon set.

And by the way, Zeroth, I figured out that Dishonored debuff I saw in Courtyard. It's applied for a few seconds if you try to stay on the entry platforms too long.

Proven

Does Chillingsworth aka Leaf even read these forums?

Either way, I've been trying to adapt his new PvP engi build into a condi/cc/gadget zero-kit build. Conceptually it should work- lock them down with CC while the conditions tick away. But in practice the results were poor; I could win most 1v1s but had trouble with opposing conditions and would get focused hard in longer fights.

So I've switched to Chillingsworth's build: XIII traits in the first two lines, rifle, zerk amulet. On paper it's even squishier than the previous build but it works somehow because of the dps. And I get to bring my beloved gadgets (rocket boots + super speed 4 life). Definitely worth trying for those who don't click with kits and decry the immobility of turrets. But super squishy; I'm going to have to build in some defense.

This is my first extended use of the engi rifle skills, however, and I still find them kind of strange. The 3-4-5 skills have ranges of 500-400-700 respectively, and are arguably best at <200 range. Yet an indisputably powerful weapon set.

And by the way, Zeroth, I figured out that Dishonored debuff I saw in Courtyard. It's applied for a few seconds if you try to stay on the entry platforms too long.

I may have to try this.

I discovered the same thing about the Courtyard Debuff while solo queueing over the weekend. I linked it in map chat at the time but should have linked it in guild chat too. It's called "Nudge."

SourBear

Banned
For the beta test today I suspect the Revenant isn't going to have anything new that we haven't seen already. Prepare to be disappointed if you are expecting to check out the new weapons, etc. Pretty sure, due to the way this test is setup, that the meat of it is to test this new dynamic event.

I will be in the beta on the last 2 hour cycle. I may stream it on twitch, but if not, I'll post my impressions later.

Proven

I'm available to beta test for all three times, but may skip the last one of ok feeling burnt out.

I'll take requests for anything you want me to try out or report on except for specific classes or builds. Haven't played the Revenant yet, and haven't decided what class to go with. Probably Warrior, Neco, or Rev, but if I go with the first two I'm likely to use my usual builds (Condi Support and Power CC respectively).

So basically, should I go Power, Condi, or Hybrid (Revenant)? I'd rather not remake the class as if things aren't wipes between tests I want to get my Masteries as hi as possible.

Zeroth

I'm available to beta test for all three times, but may skip the last one of ok feeling burnt out.

I'll take requests for anything you want me to try out or report on except for specific classes or builds. Haven't played the Revenant yet, and haven't decided what class to go with. Probably Warrior, Neco, or Rev, but if I go with the first two I'm likely to use my usual builds (Condi Support and Power CC respectively).

So basically, should I go Power, Condi, or Hybrid (Revenant)? I'd rather not remake the class as if things aren't wipes between tests I want to get my Masteries as hi as possible.

There will be wipes (probably on every test), and it wont matter because all characters start with celestial gear.

DrAg0nBoY

Ok GW2 Gaf I have a question. I need to start writting my masters disertation so that I can finally finish with my studies, but before that I do want to do something else.

The last sunday was my first time doing something with the guild and being on mumble and having fun all around and I do want that once more before I start my dissertation.

Now the thing I would like is to play all night (which for most of you really isn't night :D) with my guildies and go from dungeon to dungeon finishing them (now if you would like to do that with someone who has not seen all the dungeons at all) and being on mumble talking with you (if I get my microphone working that is).

Now the question only is, when would you be prepeared to do something like that? As far as I know Guild missions are on saturday so I do not know if you are in the mood for dungeons at the same time?

I know I sound incoherent but I am in a hurry.

Oh and just so, we can also do other stuff not dungeons, I would just like to hang out with you guys, talk and play GW2 before I get serious and start writing the stuff I need to write :D.

Proven

Straight up, I still never redid the story mode dungeons to unlock their PvP tracks...
There will be wipes (probably on every test), and it wont matter because all characters start with celestial gear.
If there's a wipe for each I'll probably play one class each time. If its Cele, I'll try a test Necro build or the Rev first. Warrior Cele will be for when I'm tired.

Retro

Now the question only is, when would you be prepeared to do something like that? As far as I know Guild missions are on saturday so I do not know if you are in the mood for dungeons at the same time?

We don't really have a set time for dungeon runs, whenever somebody wants to do one they usually just ask in guild chat and then fill any spaces as needed with LFG.

Guild Missions do run on Saturday, but it's at 9pm eastern time so by the time we're done most folks head off for the night (though quite a few still stay). I'm not sure which time zone you're in so "all night" might be early in the morning for some of us.

DrAg0nBoY

We don't really have a set time for dungeon runs, whenever somebody wants to do one they usually just ask in guild chat and then fill any spaces as needed with LFG.

Guild Missions do run on Saturday, but it's at 9pm eastern time so by the time we're done most folks head off for the night (though quite a few still stay). I'm not sure which time zone you're in so "all night" might be early in the morning for some of us.
I am GMT+2

And I know about dungeon runs, would really like to do them with only people from the guild, that's all :).

The game froze and when I came back it said there is no current beta, so I guess I got kicked out.

The beta started in The Silverwastes with a defend Amber event, so now we know where the entrance to the new zone is.

Proven

I jumped in after seeing your other post, Ike. Got kicked out just now too. Damn. Should have rushed more. At least my beta character is already ready.

I jumped in after seeing your other post, Ike. Got kicked out just now too. Damn. Should have rushed more. At least my beta character is already ready.

Yep!

It also has you play the story instance from the first Stress Test, but it has more to it. I was just past the part from the first test when it kicked me out.

Retro

Chain sword and Mad Scientist came out today it looks like. I came prepared for today!

Ironically, I kind of have a Mad Scientist theme going for my engineer, but that outfit is just waaaaaaay too busy for my tastes.

And the chain sword's animations aren't so hot (Dulfy has a video up). It doesn't extend for every animation so you really only see it during attacks like Flurry or Zealot's Defense. The rest of the time it just looks like an odd, wiggly sword.

Oh well, the Mad Scientist tools set me back a bit on gems recently, it's probably good none of the newer stuff was caught my eye (that's not to say they're bad, just that I'm picky).

I am GMT+2

And I know about dungeon runs, would really like to do them with only people from the guild, that's all :).

Ah, you're about 6 hours ahead of me, so when we're wrapping up guild missions it'll be ~5am. I'm sure folks will be doing some dungeons beforehand though.

Wanderer5

The game froze and when I came back it said there is no current beta, so I guess I got kicked out.

The beta started in The Silverwastes with a defend Amber event, so now we know where the entrance to the new zone is.

I thought it was through that vine covered cave at the far west of Dry Top. It sure look like it.

DrAg0nBoY

Ah, you're about 6 hours ahead of me, so when we're wrapping up guild missions it'll be ~5am. I'm sure folks will be doing some dungeons beforehand though.

Yeah, I saw that afterwards. Well I will still be trying to get some people to play with me atleast. Will also try to get on mumble then and if not play atleast chat with you a bit.

I thought it was through that vine covered cave at the far west of Dry Top. It sure look like it.

You can actually enter that cave if you kill all of the Mordrem Vines outside of it. If it is the one I am thinking of.

HoT Spoilers -
This currently sealed door beside Amber Sandfall leads to the new map portal.
1 - 2

Wanderer5

Ironically, I kind of have a Mad Scientist theme going for my engineer, but that outfit is just waaaaaaay too busy for my tastes.

And the chain sword's animations aren't so hot (Dulfy has a video up). It doesn't extend for every animation so you really only see it during attacks like Flurry or Zealot's Defense. The rest of the time it just looks like an odd, wiggly sword.

Oh well, the Mad Scientist tools set me back a bit on gems recently, it's probably good none of the newer stuff was caught my eye (that's not to say they're bad, just that I'm picky).

Eh the animations are alright, and my guard is one of the char I wanted to try it out on, so yeah.:p Fits so well with my cyberpunk ranger through lol. I not a fan of how it "gltiches out" while running when having it away.

I really adore the outfit on the other hand, least on Charr (through don't really care for the helm cause the lack of hair is showing too much).XD

2015-05-26_00002_zpsnswdkjaj.jpg

Changed for the black and blue look that I recently made for him. It cool that the vials and their substances are dyed too.

2015-05-26_00003_zps2whwbzvb.jpg

2015-05-26_00004_zpsndvmvntx.jpg

I probably make this the main look for my memser.

Moondrop

Banned
I assume you mean mesmer's Blurred Frenzy (for which it looks awesome) and not warrior's Flurry (which Dulfy neglected and I'd really like to see). I'm definitely tempted, but hesitant because I may end up using scepter/staff on my mesmer after the expansion.

Wanderer5

Oh yum! Looks reeeeally good on charr! You made me buy it :)

:p

Think the charr got the better end of the stick again beside maybe asura, cause it looks pretty bleh on humanoid races. My memser ponytail clips through the collar through.:x Might have to live it with, change the hair, or have the helm, cause I like it otherwise. I thinking of using that, the chain sword, and the aether shield for a kind of steampunk-ish time mage.XD

Retro

I really adore the outfit on the other hand, least on Charr (through don't really care for the helm cause the lack of hair is showing too much).XD

It looks a thousand times better dyed nicely than it does in the preview, so at least there's that. I have really weird tastes though (especially when it comes to weapons) so that's all on me.

I assume you mean mesmer's Blurred Frenzy (for which it looks awesome) and not warrior's Flurry (which Dulfy neglected and I'd really like to see).

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, isn't warrior Flurry the same animation for Blurred Frenzy / Zealot's Defense? It is on Asura, at least. Either way, that's the place where it looked best, yes, the big long flailing attacks where it whips all over the place.

Spyware

I actually like the new outfit on norn too!
My brother sent me this pic:
bdf90890b4fa67a05570b6cf152b2dd9.png

so I tried it on one of mine:
m2JtI30.png

I think they both look very cool :)

Wanderer5

^Guess it looks fine there actually. I don't know, maybe my humanoid characters just don't have it, through I only wanted it for my engi and memser anyway. I still love the shorter coat length that the charr has more through. I hope to see more of that in HoT.

It looks a thousand times better dyed nicely than it does in the preview, so at least there's that. I have really weird tastes though (especially when it comes to weapons) so that's all on me.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, isn't warrior Flurry the same animation for Blurred Frenzy / Zealot's Defense? It is on Asura, at least. Either way, that's the place where it looked best, yes, the big long flailing attacks where it whips all over the place.

Yeah their F1 sword skill flails it around. I went to test axe skill 5 (that spinning one) with a axe and the sword to see if it has animation there, but sadly no lol.

Moondrop

Banned
I supported you for a bit there Ike but I actually have to do my job today. :p Would've been really disappointing if I had somehow acquired beta access.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, isn't warrior Flurry the same animation for Blurred Frenzy / Zealot's Defense? It is on Asura, at least.
Huh, never thought about it but you're right. They have the same cast time and everything.

Retro

Huh, never thought about it but you're right. They have the same cast time and everything.

Yeah, I was fairly certain but I had one of those weird "Wait, or am I just imagining it?" moments, like when you type the same word over and over again and eventually it starts to look wrong.

Anyways, I noticed it mostly because one of the first Guardian videos I ever saw showed an Asura using Zealot's Defense with that crazy gravity-defying animation and that was one of the big reasons I went with Asuran Mesmer and Warrior alts. Asuran Animations are just the best.

Levyne

Banned
Anyways, I noticed it mostly because one of the first Guardian videos I ever saw showed an Asura using Zealot's Defense with that crazy gravity-defying animation and that was one of the big reasons I went with Asuran Mesmer and Warrior alts. Asuran Animations are just the best.

I don't care for them. I don't recognize my regular rotations in the Asura fractal. I did them for the first time as a guardian and I was like what is my character doing.

They are certainly flashy.

Levyne

Banned

I find that I don't care for the rifle. I feel weird since it's meta in both pve and (I'm pretty sure) pvp, and the leap finisher on 5 is super nice to have, but having 2 cc on the shield and the blind on the pistol I just enjoy using a lot more than the rifle skills.

I guess I also just like the look of pistol/shield a lot more too. The truly important stuff.

Moondrop

Banned
I find that I don't care for the rifle. I feel weird since it's meta in both pve and (I'm pretty sure) pvp, and the leap finisher on 5 is super nice to have, but having 2 cc on the shield and the blind on the pistol I just enjoy using a lot more than the rifle skills.
I felt the same until yesterday. Pistol/shield seemingly has more utility, but really only in a situation where someone else (or something i.e. turrets) is pumping out the damage. When you are responsible for the damage, the utility becomes a double-edged sword: if I use pistol 3 to load confusion early, I don't have it to blind a big attack; if I use shield 5 to lockdown, I don't have it for defense.

It's also worth emphasizing that rifle has two CCs (immobilize and launch) on much shorter cooldowns and can be traited to blind (which my build does).

I guess I also just like the look of pistol/shield a lot more too. The truly important stuff.
Hell yeah, shield makes everything look better. Like axe/shield on my pvp warrior. Scepter/shield on mesmer will be the epitome of stylin'.

Wanderer5

I like rifle for CC and DPS stuff, but overall I prefer pistol/shield too. I definitely not into P/P heh. Shield is just too awesome to pass up really.

Retro

It's funny, I've been using Engineer Rifle for so long I've had a hard time getting used to P/P or P/S. I'm too used to having the immobilize and launch (especially for interrupt purposes), the CC condi clear, and having the mobility on Jump Shot. Since I tend to stay in close with my Flamethrower anyways (still running Juggernaut / HGH) having ways to get out and get some room has been much more important in the long run.

On my new Charr Engie I'm forcing myself not to use it (or Flamethrower, for that matter) and I miss 'em both. I'm not high enough level to have a build yet, but I'll probably give the Static Discharge everyone talks about a go.

Retro

I can't imagine anything other than rifle, but I love toolkit. Shit is fun as hell. Crazy damage too

Yeah, I've been using Toolkit and it's pretty fun. It's part of the SD build and Engineer Hammer is coming so I figured I better get used to being a Melee Engineer instead of just a almost-but-not-quite Engineer.

Semi-related: Hidden Pistol (Charr Racial) isn't just Engineer Unload on a 30s CD (which is comparable to most Toolbelt CDs though certainly not the best), but the actual utility skill is also an evade. Here's hoping they make a pass of all the toolbelt skills and bring that CD down a bit so I can keep using it.

Wanderer5

I can't imagine anything other than rifle, but I love toolkit. Shit is fun as hell. Crazy damage too

I like that PVP meta celestial rifle build mostly cause of the took kit lol. I got pretty brutal with it, through celestial is going to be nerf in PvP.

I can't wait for hammer engi. I hope they do engi this week.:x

Moondrop

Banned
The soft CC cleanse on rifle 4 is indeed really handy. And landing both parts of rifle 5 in melee range is two huge power shots plus 6 stacks of vulnerability (and Chillingsworth's build stack vuln like crazy). And rifle 3 is technically not a projectile and thus can't be reflected/absorbed.

I've never been impressed with toolkit like everyone else though. Oh, you're going to magnet pull me in and then pry bar? *Dodges. *Watches engi gear shield away. 1v1 me bros. :p

I've felt lost the whole time in the beta so far. There is a lot going on, and even the small part of the map available has a large variety of locales.

The skill lag is really putting a damper on things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom