• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Got benched on the dungeon team, so I soloed SE1.

sgh757o.gif

5ixhl8h.jpg

Retro

Points of Interest will be starting shortly!
http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Edit: "We're going to start #GW2PoI at about 12:10, currently fixing an audio glitch."
Edit 2: Looks like it's getting started in about 5 minutes.

Soooo PAX East is in 2 weeks. I know there's at least a handful of gaffers going for sure - who here is going? I wonder if we should bother with this guild group thing? https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/567843748387938304

Yeah, anyone who's going should PM me. We already have a few GAFers going, but it's up to the individuals if they want to meet up or something.

Retro

Stability is switching to a stacking boon instead of duration. You'll be able to have multiple stacks of it to resist multiple control attacks.

"Coming sooner than you think."

That's a pretty significant change.

Can I please get an invite to the GAF Guild? My username is HardDrive.6843

I've been playing the game for almost a month and it is pretty fun. Got it for $10 during the sale so it is fantastic value for money.

I got a mystic forge stone for my login reward, I guess I should wait until I'm level 80?

Thanks!

Mxrz

Stability changes. I approve. With resistance, seems like the core game is getting a nice change up.

Reverent looks really good. Sort of stepping on Guardian's stuff a bit, which makes me want an offensive focused specialization all the more.

Morokh

Big 'Points of Interest' picture to hide the coming events on their current demo build .....

SAB confirmed !

Maybe :(

Moondrop

Banned
Stability is switching to a stacking boon instead of duration. You'll be able to have multiple stacks of it to resist multiple control attacks.
This is a colossal nerf to stability. The repercussions for WvW cannot be overestimated. Static fields will stop entire zergs.

But I don't see how they can only make this switch when so many of the stability skills are 1-3 seconds; those are now essentially worthless unless their durations are increased. Or perhaps all player stability-granting skills will be revised to apply a variable number of stacks?

My cynical side says that the devs felt compelled to change stability to make those revanant skills relevant in WvW as per the issues in my previous post.

Mxrz

Stability has always been a little too good. Discouraging stacking, in wvw and pve, is something that needs to happen. Now Necro/Revs can feat/taunt to break stuff up. People will need to be aware more instead of just following the blue dot. Traps and things are already looking better.

Not seeing any bad anywhere.

This is a colossal nerf to stability. The repercussions for WvW cannot be overestimated. Static fields will stop entire zergs.

But I don't see how they can only make this switch when so many of the stability skills are 1-3 seconds; those are now essentially worthless unless their durations are increased. Or perhaps all player stability-granting skills will be revised to apply a variable number of stacks?

My cynical side says that the devs felt compelled to change stability to make those revanant skills relevant in WvW as per the issues in my previous post.

they should most definitely increase the duration of these types of skills in general. Many skills feels to situational to really feel awesome all the time.

they may change skills to give a # of stacks instead of seconds like you said. like off the top of my head, maybe stand your ground gives like 3 stacks of stability. If they only ever give one stack yea they'd have to change cd's and skills themselves since some give multiple buffs

Anno

I'm glad for the changes. Stability was always both very common and quite difficult to counter. Having it give out a number of charges is probably the best bet so there can be some further differentiation in the various skills that grant it. And hey Hallowed Ground is probably extra amazing now!

Retro

For what it's worth, they explicitly stated that they are going over every profession to re-balance everything to do with the new version of stability.

Moondrop

Banned
For clarification I'm not taking the position that this is good or bad, only that it will shift the WvW meta more than anything heretofore announced. And as I've said before, stacking in WvW is a direct consequence of the 5-man AoE limit and will persist as long as that mechanic does.

We need John Peters in GAF.

Rubi said Closed Beta coming really soon. Wonder if they will invite Guilds like they did with EOTM.

Stability change makes me unhappy as I currently imagine it. What's the point of stuff like Rampage if people can knock you out of it?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how they decide to adjust each of the skills.

Anno

I think it's just all in how you balance it. If Rampage pulses 2 stacks of stability every second or something then it's probably even better than the current incarnation in some instances. I'm sure some will be done well and others poorly, then all balanced out down the road. It does seem though that they want to make control in general more powerful, which I'm generally cool with.

Moondrop

Banned
can't people knock you out of it already with boon steals?
Not the same thing. Boon stealing is much rarer and more difficult to land than CC skills. Ike is correct that elites like Rampage, Plague Form, and Tornado will have to be revamped into stacks or become
even more
worthless.

It's obvious to acknowledge that skills will have to be rebalanced. Just take thief's Headshot- will they allow it to strip 4 stacks of stability in under 2 seconds? And mesmer's Chaos Storm as well- is that now better than Static Field?

Relatedly, I think I'm going to put off crafting my second ascended armor set for awhile.

can't people knock you out of it already with boon steals?

Stealing/Transforming boons is limited almost exclusively to mesmers and necromancers. Not to mention that in PvE it very rarely ever happens. Having two professions to worry about is a bit less than having all eight (nine) able to strip away a boon in moments, leaving you vulnerable and with a 150 second cooldown.

Which of course is a large point of the change.

Just from a Warrior's perspective, I don't see stuff like Dolyak Signet and Balanced Stance being kept on 40 to 60 second cooldowns either.

Retro

I'm not sure how many folks here are MMO vets (and honestly, it's kind of a good thing if you aren't), but expansions are when most major shake-ups happen. GW2 is kind of unique in that the feature packs have made big changes too (Torment is something most devs would have saved for an expansion), so I would expect bigger changes from here on out. Some pretty established builds may even disappear, and there's always the chance they use this opportunity to rein in stuff like the zerker meta.

Folks who have been through the process before can tell you how drastic the changes can get (TBC practically made paladins viable overnight, for example).

Be prepared for potentially drastic changes, that's all. This Stability change is going to touch on every single class, so everyone is gonna get a solid once-over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom