• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

As some may have noticed, Cresc and I have not been attending guild events lately, and not played much at all. This is due to some seriously annoying illnesses and bad luck with mostly everything this year.

I'm sad to have missed pretty much all but one day of Dragon Ball and I still have not even tried Vinewrath :'(

Hope you guys are ok. Dragon Ball sucks so you're not missing much.

Retro

As some may have noticed, Cresc and I have not been attending guild events lately, and not played much at all. This is due to some seriously annoying illnesses and bad luck with mostly everything this year.

I'm sad to have missed pretty much all but one day of Dragon Ball and I still have not even tried Vinewrath :'(

Sorry to hear that, I hope you guys feel better soon.

As someone whose main male wears scandidly clad Barbaric armor to highlight does 4 and a half push ups I can almost do, this rings true.

449a24f4488de31e54e2f80fc61d7843.jpg

Minamu

Remember that there's a lot of tech involved with seemingly simple-looking things. For example, character legs and feet reposition themselves so that they always look like they are realistically standing on a surface (rather than most games where their feet just clip or they hover strangely over slopes). There's a lot of stuff involved there; animation, physics, etc., and the footprint element may simply be a small part of a much more complex system that requires people who know what they're doing to fix it and not screw something else up.

I don't think it's as simple as flipping a graphic upside down in mspaint, or even on the level of beards being removed by certain helmets. I also don't think this is a sign that the game is in financial trouble. That's a bit of a leap, isn't it?
Yeah you're right, I wasn't entirely serious with what I said, I doubt they use Ms Paint anyway, you know? ;) I just find it a bit strange that it wasn't fixed during the original development when this was designed and most likely acknowledged as a non-issue by someone at some point. Easy fix or no, this was very likely ignored by someone at tech or design during development, and that's what I find odd :) Interesting though.

Yep a game that made 100 million last year is in financial trouble. What great logic you have there.

Businesses have something called priorities, fixing a footprint doesnt seem to be that important.
The financial trouble comment was a joke :) Meaning, they ought to have enough man power to fix it, since they aren't in these troubles. I was just taking the piss out of that sentiment. Of course they have priorities, I've never seen this issue myself actually, I just thought that if they have time to research it and make a statement about it, maybe a fix ain't so farfetched scheduling wise as they say. It has become a bit of a joke now, maybe they like it that way.

pyros

Has there been a coordinated sbi effort, to fight the Triple Trouble world event, like the early days of taco?. Getting wreaked at every turn, because of not enough people participating.

Quenk

Has there been a coordinated sbi effort, to fight the Triple Trouble world event, like the early days of taco?. Getting wreaked at every turn, because of not enough people participating.

I believe the TTS guild does triple wurm regularly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Should I really add Triple Wurm to my daily checklist? Since I always do Karka Queen and Tequatl.

On a related note I need a rather punny name for my male guardian asura. Batterskutch sounds weird.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out in the Guild jumping puzzle thing last night. I suck so terribly at jumping in this game, so I'm grateful to everyone who stayed behind to make sure me and the other laggards made it (also the person who made the portals - thank you!)

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out in the Guild jumping puzzle thing last night. I suck so terribly at jumping in this game, so I'm grateful to everyone who stayed behind to make sure me and the other laggards made it (also the person who made the portals - thank you!)

I'm ass at jumping in this game too, I'm always one of the laggards. It's just never clicked with me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm ass at jumping in this game too, I'm always one of the laggards. It's just never clicked with me.

Those f-ing vistas too, ahahahah ;_; Think part of my problem is that I use WASD to move with my left hand, with space bar to jump, and as a right-hander, my brain is having problems coordinating. I hate using two hands to move though.

Retro

Yeah you're right, I wasn't entirely serious with what I said, I doubt they use Ms Paint anyway, you know? ;) I just find it a bit strange that it wasn't fixed during the original development when this was designed and most likely acknowledged as a non-issue by someone at some point. Easy fix or no, this was very likely ignored by someone at tech or design during development, and that's what I find odd :) Interesting though.

It's hard to tell when people are joking on the internet, especially when it comes to discussions on game development. It's hard to tell if someone is joking or they really think games are easy to make a developers are just a bunch of lazy idiots. For example, this enlightened fellow believes you make minipets by just shrinking regular models with "a couple sliders." It's kind of interesting timing because there's a nice little article floating around today about just such a thing.

Anyways, I think it should be sufficient to say that if it were an easy fix, someone would have fixed it by now. That they haven't means it's a much more involved process like the one they outlined. I just don't see a company like ArenaNet, that has delivered an MMO with almost zero down time (in contrast to other games with weekly 5-hour maintenance) and tech like Megaservers, guesting, etc. not being able to fix this if it were really easy.

Minamu

It's hard to tell when people are joking on the internet, especially when it comes to discussions on game development. It's hard to tell if someone is joking or they really think games are easy to make a developers are just a bunch of lazy idiots. For example, this enlightened fellow believes you make minipets by just shrinking regular models with "a couple sliders." It's kind of interesting timing because there's a nice little article floating around today about just such a thing.

Anyways, I think it should be sufficient to say that if it were an easy fix, someone would have fixed it by now. That they haven't means it's a much more involved process like the one they outlined. I just don't see a company like ArenaNet, that has delivered an MMO with almost zero down time (in contrast to other games with weekly 5-hour maintenance) and tech like Megaservers, guesting, etc. not being able to fix this if it were really easy.
I know from first hand experience that making games is not easy. Like Ashodin, I'm also in development, although not in the same capacity. So I knew that my comment was silly :) Nice article, will look at it tomorrow. you're most likely right, if it was easy, we wouldn't have this discussion. I think my graphics settings are too low for me to see footprints on my Charr? :/ It's a strange bug, let's leave it at that :D

Retro

I know from first hand experience that making games is not easy. Like Ashodin, I'm also in development, although not in the same capacity. So I knew that my comment was silly :) Nice article, will look at it tomorrow. you're most likely right, if it was easy, we wouldn't have this discussion. I think my graphics settings are too low for me to see footprints on my Charr? :/ It's a strange bug, let's leave it at that :D

Yep, I lurk in there because it's something I like to follow even though it's been a decade (and change) since I worked on anything that wasn't for my own amusement. It's not the cakewalk thousands of armchair game designers believe it is (or wish it were), and after a decade (and change) of reading game dev forums where arrogant kids with wildly-inflated egos talk shit about professional game developers, it's kind of a soft spot for me.

Anyways, heading somewhere snowy is your best bet, but it's not even that noticeable, which is why anyone getting up in arms about it is so absurd; it's a nitpick at best in the scheme of things.

Please be HoT beta announcement tomorrow.

If I had to guess, probably not until PAX / Rezzed... but I suppose anything is possible. I'm hoping for a blog post tomorrow at least, but with the Lunar Festival going away I'm thinking something new should probably be coming in too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

aw... feel better :(

Thorgal

Have a question for any Mesmer pro's out there :

DO i go with Assassin gear with Ranger runes and go overkill with the Crits or do i use Sholar runes ?

Is made for Dung / frac / pve .

Levyne

Banned
Today I solo'd Lupi for the first time. It was very slow, and methodical. But I killed him dead and he did not kill me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mAY_fbh5EY

I traited entirely out of the skirmishing line since the best traits there are pet based. For most of the fight, especially the last third, I feel you want the pet to be dead. The pet moving and meleeing lupi could cause him to squirm around, or even use the phase 3 blast/bubble. Also free health during his lifesteal. Some videos call using a pet here "negative dps". I used drakes since they can tank more of the locusts and cleave them back. I traited entirely into Wilderness survival so I could have reduced cooldowns on offhand, GS, and survival skills. This swap also gave me toughness at the expense of precision, though I am still running spotter and wearing zerker gear.. The hardest part for me was actually the locusts. I have the least rhythm there, and they hurt me a lot. Phase 2 I'm fine as long as I get a reflect or block up in time. Phase 3 is a pattern over and over. I used a powerful undead potion and a bowl of orrian truffle and meat stew.

I sped up the video and put some music to it so that anyone who wants to watch wouldn't be as bored. Vertical bars because 16:10.

Morokh

What's with people quoting that guys face? What meme did I miss?

Best explanation I could find :

some guy on Reddit said:
If I remember correctly, someone who was a Twitch staff member with the screen name of 'Kappa' added his face as a default emoticon in the chat. People used it as a joke, then it devolved into what it is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom