• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are revamping the store. It's a mess right now. The way you have to scroll down, some items don't display as unlocked in your account or not. I think they are removing the clutter and then re-introducing them once they have a better navigation.

Just started this game and confused on a lot of stuff still.

In the Outfit/Wardrobe (?) it lets you go to the gem store to buy outfits, but it says "can replace the appearance of ______, once per slot." What does this mean? Can you only use a purchased outfit once and it's gone?

In the Outfit/Wardrobe (?) it lets you go to the gem store to buy outfits, but it says "can replace the appearance of ______, once per slot." What does this mean? Can you only use a purchased outfit once and it's gone?

Means it's free, once. After that, it's a wardrobe item, and will need transmute charges.
Also I guess I'm picking up Viper tonight.

MadGear

I'm finally trying to get into PvP on my guardian (first ever character, currently still on a free account). Despite being super clueless I'm actually enjoying myself.
I'm trying to play as a burn guardian because that what people tell me is the meta (which I don't mind because I like the torch :D) but have some difficulties with that build.

I have a sigil of intelligence on my wand/torch to get the crit buff on weapon swap to proc the Radiant Fire trait but I can't get that trait to reliably proc on crit.
I'm currently running this test on a target dummy:
Strike with my sword (no crit) -> swap, sigil buff is applied -> strike with wand (crit), but no Radiant Fire proc.
Sometimes even the following crits do not apply zealots flame. I waited more than 10 seconds to make sure that there is no cooldown on the trait but it still won't work. What am I doing wrong?

Retro

Outfits are single items that 'cover' your armor. Once purchased, they can be used by any character at any time for free.

Skins are different; once purchased, they can be used once to replace the appearance of an item permanently for free, but that skin will then be added to your account wardrobe. You can then use that skin as many times as you want on any character, but it costs one transmutation charge.

Transmutation charges are awarded for map completion (Doing all five racial capitols and Lion's Arch will give you a quick 6, and you can do it for every character) or from daily login rewards (if you're on a paid account; free players do not receive them) every 26th day. You can also get them from PVP. And from the gem store, of course.

Spyware

Sweet, such nice pics.
Aww, you're all so nice! :D

I had a ton of fun with the guild missions today! First time I've been able to participate since buying GW2 at launch. Having a lot of fun with GW2 and plan on buying the expansion. Thanks for waiting for me today! (I'm Slack Attacks)
So glad you could join us :) That crazy run to the bounty was pretty intense!

Thanks, I guess I'll just ignore them for now since I just started. Noticed the transmute charges cost money too.
Yes but they are also gotten by just logging in (if paying player), map completion and sometimes in the black lion chests.
The map completion ones are actually infinitely farmable if you have a free character slot. You can create a character, explore as many of the cities as you'd like and then delete and do it over again on a new character. Pretty boring, but if you're missing just a few for a look you really want it's a good way to get them for free very fast.

Oh, you also get them from PvP I think.

Edit: Retroooooo....

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What's a good way for me to get those black chest keys through regular play? (Basically anything other than not doing that new character once a week for story lvl10 farm thing)

There enemies that drop them with some consistency? I know map completion can give them, I am doing that now.

I like opening these chests, the gambler in me likes it very much. (Are there similar things elsewhere in the game?)

TrounceX

I'm finally trying to get into PvP on my guardian (first ever character, currently still on a free account). Despite being super clueless I'm actually enjoying myself.
I'm trying to play as a burn guardian because that what people tell me is the meta (which I don't mind because I like the torch :D) but have some difficulties with that build.

I have a sigil of intelligence on my wand/torch to get the crit buff on weapon swap to proc the Radiant Fire trait but I can't get that trait to reliably proc on crit.
I'm currently running this test on a target dummy:
Strike with my sword (no crit) -> swap, sigil buff is applied -> strike with wand (crit), but no Radiant Fire proc.
Sometimes even the following crits do not apply zealots flame. I waited more than 10 seconds to make sure that there is no cooldown on the trait but it still won't work. What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, Radiant Fire is broken as heck and has been for about 2 months. But sometimes it will proc like mad and totally wreck people (very frustrating on the opposing end). It's wildly inconsistent.

The deeper you get into PvP and the longer you are into the scene, the more you will see examples of bugs like this, and the more you'll take notice of how totally unresponsive Anet is. It's very frustrating. And I try to not rag on Anet at every opportunity, I really do, but this is one area they could definitely improve upon.

And personally if you are just starting out in PvP I would recommend the meta meditation build.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Meditation_DPS_Variant

Except I use sword / focus.

MadGear

You're not doing anything wrong, Radiant Fire is broken as heck and has been for about 2 months. But sometimes it will proc like mad and totally wreck people (very frustrating on the opposing end). It's wildly inconsistent.

The deeper you get into PvP and the longer you are into the scene, the more you will see examples of bugs like this, and the more you'll take notice of how totally unresponsive Anet is. It's very frustrating. And I try to not rag on Anet at every opportunity, I really do, but this is one area they could definitely improve upon.

And personally if you are just starting out in PvP I would recommend the meta meditation build.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Meditation_DPS_Variant

Except I use sword / focus.

Thanks, glad to hear its not my fault. However that is unexpected for a game with such a competitive game mode and not something I was hoping to hear when considering buying the upcoming expansion.
Oh well, I will definitely check out the build you linked.

Zeroth

Thanks, glad to hear its not my fault. However that is unexpected for a game with such a competitive game mode and not something I was hoping to hear when considering buying the upcoming expansion.
Oh well, I will definitely check out the build you linked.

To be honest, "bug ridden" is hardly how I would describe PvP. Most of the time stuff like this will go unnoticed to you because it sincerely doesn't affect your performance that much.

TrounceX

To be honest, "bug ridden" is hardly how I would describe PvP. Most of the time stuff like this will go unnoticed to you because it sincerely doesn't affect your performance that much.

That's fair, I wouldn't describe it as "bug ridden" either. For maybe 95% of the players the game works fine and they will never notice.

But I do consider it just another example of how GW2 in general breaks down at the ultra-competitive level. Really the integrity of the game in general totally breaks down at that level (I think most games do tbh), whether it be PvE, PvP, or especially WvW. I understand that it's not exactly a good game design decision from a market perspective to cater to the ultra-competitive gamer, but the least you could do is make sure the systems you have in place actually work as intended. If it comes out broken, fine, but 2 months (or usually longer) after the fact? There's no excuse.

Thanks for all the responses, I knew it was a stupid question. Now I see how the Outfits are different.

It wasn't a stupid question:) I totally see why there could be confusion.

Back at launch, when you bought a skin, or a dye it would only work for one character. People pleaded and begged them to make them account wide, (so all your characters would receive them) and they did change it! They didn't have to but they did, and it was the right thing to do. It made everything more valueable.

And so they put in these transmutation charges. In my mind you should only spend them when you have your "ideal gear" and know you don't want to change to anything else. A good way to get a starter set is to fully explore all the racial cities. You will come across some in the personal story, in pvp, in black lion chests and so on, but they are still valuable, so if you don't use them wisely you probably have to resort to buying some (or converting your gold to gems) or simply not transmuting.

To be truthful, the cool things about Outfits is that they work as an "overlay". A skin above a skin. I change gear constantly, but when I wear a outfit it always goes on top. And right now I'm playing thief and he is using the monk-outfit which fits thematically with the character, so I don't have to worry about all the time, that now I picked up an obscure looking piece of gear.
The thing I want the most for Outfits right now is the ability to disable shoulders and hands, because some of the outfits are hindered by that. It would give them a lot more milage in customization. Male Ninja outfit is a good example of a outfit that would benefit for disabled shoulders. He looks like the Michelin Man>.<

Rawk Hawk

What's a good way for me to get those black chest keys through regular play? (Basically anything other than not doing that new character once a week for story lvl10 farm thing)

There enemies that drop them with some consistency? I know map completion can give them, I am doing that now.

I like opening these chests, the gambler in me likes it very much. (Are there similar things elsewhere in the game?)

I believe keys are just random everywhere, although there was someone who recently said they got two from higher level fracals I believe. I just don't think there is enough data to know for sure if it drops better in some places than others quite yet, since the change to the drop rate is so new. At least not that I'm aware of.

As for gambling, you can gamble ectos or buy unidentified dyes to fill that gambling urge. I can't really stress enough how bad of an idea it is.. but it's possible.

Fun fact, they actually call him Steve internally.
(But his real name is almost certainly not Steve)

(Correct, I believe his full name is Steven, it's just been shortened to Steve)

(Correct, I believe his full name is Steven, it's just been shortened to Steve)

Za6dehw.gif

oh you

Jira

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/seasonal-transition-in-the-gem-store/

Finishers

It&#8217;s time to retire our nonseasonal finisher sales from the Upgrades section of the Gem Store. The entire current line of finishers will be removed from Upgrades after this week, so this is your last chance to purchase them directly using gems.

The bolded and underlined is a very interesting choice of words and ties directly into my theory that they may be moving finishers to League rewards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spyware said:
this is so great :D
For the dungeon event this Sunday there's a fair bit of underwater combat. If you need a level 80 aquabreather this guy sells them in Cursed Shore: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Explorer_Gavbeorn_Serpentslayer
My level 34 green aquabreather has never failed me thus far, I won't abandon it now!
Its been working fine for me on both computers/browers.... tho if you are using any CAPS in the gaf part of the addy, you will get an error. ? Ive had that happen before to me. For some reason their urls are crazy Case sensitive.

http://plug.dj/gaf
I love your new avatar XD

Wait, can you get a weekly BL key? Or is Reddit in on an elaborate lie?
Was it in patch notes somewhere?
One of the early personal story rewards is a Black Lion Key. People have been abusing that reward since forever by creating a new character, playing to get that reward then deleting that character, rinse and repeat. The new limitation is that you can only do this once per week per account.

Thorgal

Well , i have been running with a guild called Chest Far Legends [CFL] for a while now .

They are a big guild dedicated in running the Silverwastes chest trains and events and other buffoonery . ( every friday is 7 hour long chest train with the fastest com you'll ever see in the wastes . guy can clear a round on the chest farm train in 15 minutes without missing a single one .

CFL Guild leader Is a guy named Mirrion aka Thrallazar .

You may also know him under a different name : The 65K champ bag guy .

Retro

To lend more credence to Jira's "They're clearing out the Gem Store to make room for more" theory:

Seasonal Transition in the Gem Store!
The cubs are entering their fahrars, the days are growing shorter, and the weather grows colder. Summer is over, and with its end, we begin our transition into our winter lineup of items. This week marks your last chance to pick up our summer items before we make room for all-new goods.
(source)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Nolan already does voices in this game though, no? I could swear I've heard him in here

Retro

My weekly "Thing I've never seen before" happened today on the way to Modnir. Spoiler tagging it since we have a bunch of new members.

If you're a member of Order of Whispers and have completed the first part of their story, there's an event you can trigger if you pass through a very specific part of Harathi Hinterlands.
A bunch of Ministry Guards show up on Caudecus' orders for helping his daughter Demmi defect. They even mention her specifically as the reason they're attacking and on who's orders.

Here's the event. Pretty cool, I had no idea why I was fighting those guys when all of a sudden the Captain told me why and it suddenly made sense. Reaaaaaaaally cool.

Fishious

My weekly "Thing I've never seen before" happened today on the way to Modnir. Spoiler tagging it since we have a bunch of new members.

If you're a member of Order of Whispers and have completed the first part of their story, there's an event you can trigger if you pass through a very specific part of Harathi Hinterlands.
A bunch of Ministry Guards show up on Caudecus' orders for helping his daughter Demmi defect. They even mention her specifically as the reason they're attacking and on who's orders.

Here's the event. Pretty cool, I had no idea why I was fighting those guys when all of a sudden the Captain told me why and it suddenly made sense. Reaaaaaaaally cool.

Funny enough I saw that for the first time about a week ago. My main is Priory so I'd never run across it, but I was on my Whispers necro grabbing hero points and happened to run across it. It's great that even after all this time I still run across new things.

Rawk Hawk

Whoa, so apparently
Mordemoth
is getting a voice actor and only
sylvari
can hear him. That's awesome.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-uncharted-actor-nolan-north-voicing-guild-/1100-6430811/

Yeah it's really cool cause it plays out in cutscenes. So Sylvari get extra dialog that other races don't.

Other races need the
Sylvari
mastery track to be able to
hear Mordy.

Alright then, Sylvari Rev confirmed. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Alright then, Sylvari Rev confirmed. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Even with this revelation I'm still playing through story with my main first and then I'll go through it with my Sylvari Necro.

I'll probably focus on finishing story and LS with Necro for the rest of this month. I think I'm at Claw Island missions right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom