• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look forward to the Miktar camera setting so I can take cool screenshots as well.

Sadly, none of us have access to the ArenaNet "take cool screenshots" setting:
angle

EDIT: Whoop, new page. I should put some pretty here.

azzQ2gU.jpg

dSUmBTN.jpg

Ig3AoML.jpg

oCzusli.jpg

Why? First-person view is in practically every MMO, even Guild Wars 1. That GW2 didn't have it, was odd. And the excuse of "it'd ruin the art" just never sat right with me.

You could also adjust the left/right of the camera to an over-the-shoulder since day one, but with the new FoV settings, it can be a bit more conventional, which is nice.

tbh i don't care if it doesnt have it or not, just funny that they finally added it in after so long. More power to you if you wanted it in

Ashodin

Disclaimer: My opinions are subjective and also absolutely true

Actually I own MH3U on Wii U, haven't played it much however. I do know that the game's clunky combat turns me off every time I try to play, and the UI is clunky as well.

Remfin

There are people who claim opinions cannot be "wrong."

Disproven.

I grant you the UI is iffy, but the combat is not "clunky", you just don't "get" it. Which is fine, but I hate when people don't understand why exactly they're complaining about something ("clunky" is always a stand-in for "I can't describe what I don't like").

Ashodin

The same could be said of people who don't "get" Guild Wars 2's combat.

It's clunky because it's not the type of combat I'd expect from a game like that. Animations and characters who stick in place, that sort of thing is not my type of gameplay. It's not for me, thus the game, according to me, is terrible. Now, for others who don't mind that style of play, it's great.

Shiokazu

guise, dont start, ash doesnt likes the game, let him dont like the game. you like the game, then go like the game by playing it.

the rest of us, shall we play more guild wars?

do we still have gafractals?

Lunar15

Wow, did I hear some horrible opinions?

Animations and characters who stick in place, that sort of thing is not my type of gameplay.

Like... Guild Wars?

Also yeah, they're definitely taking some inspiration from more action based stuff, like MH.

Although, the defiance mechanic for the wyvern seems backwards: I feel like pulling off something special, like defiance, should result in a bonus, ala - the fight becomes quicker. However, this is a system where, if you don't do it correctly, you're punished. They're fairly similar, but the difference is that you could go on fighting the wyvern normally if defiance was a bonus, but in this, it makes it so that you have to go into a longer "avoidance" phase. Shit like that gets old quickly and it ignites an angry group of players who trash talk anyone who messed it up.

Either way, I'm glad they changed the actual mechanic. I don't really care though: I've sworn off open world PVE stuff entirely in GW, it's just plain bad. I only really care about instanced stuff anymore.

spiritfox

That's true, a bonus for doing it correctly is better than a penalty for not doing it correctly. of course this is only one example, they could have other bosses that provide the former.

Wanderer5

MH combat feel pretty grounded and a bit on the realistic side per say in terms of the weight of the weapons, movements, and such. Yeah it gives a bit of chunkiness, but I think it makes the combat more interesting and satisfying in a game like MH. Took me a bit to get into the series, but it finally done, and MH4U is probably going to be one of my favorite 3DS games for sure. Be nice to see more bosses inspire by ones like in MH, especially future Elder Dragons fights (not like Zhaitan <.<).

spiritfox

We should not label ourselves as Pokegaf or GW2gaf, but instead be united in the love of all games, as GAFfers.

Except those who have bad taste. They suck.

There is a bonus for taking defiance off. You usually get some kind of stun phase where you do more damage to the boss.

The defiance bar will only show up when Wyvren is getting ready to fly away so that's when you get a chance to stun it by removing defiance with CC.

Hammer + Mace/Mace (or Mace/Shield) Warrior is everyone's new best friend.

Stomp, Kick, Bull's Charge, and Rampage on the utilities.

It's Wyvern busting time.

Ayumi

Can I get a guild invite? I'm on NA (Ayumi.4951) and I have no idea what I'm doing. &#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484;

I'm debating signing up for the app challenge. I could use a side project...Anyone feel like doing a GAF group one?

EDIT: I signed up. There are a handful of things I use other applications to do while I play the game. I'd like to consolidate those into the app and have it in game. Even if I don't officially submit for the competition, it's about my own quality of life when playing.

EDIT2: After some research, I'm not doing it, it's just for an Overwolf app.

Zeroth

Hammer + Mace/Mace (or Mace/Shield) Warrior is everyone's new best friend.

Stomp, Kick, Bull's Charge, and Rampage on the utilities.

It's Wyvern busting time.

Pretty sure the boss is intended to be fought with group CC, and that the CC window is too small for a single person to remove the defiance.

Can I get a guild invite? I'm on NA (Ayumi.4951) and I have no idea what I'm doing. &#9488;('&#65374;`&#65307;)&#9484;

Invited ya. When you log in, hit "G", then "Accept" and "Represent"!

The same could be said of people who don't "get" Guild Wars 2's combat.

It's clunky because it's not the type of combat I'd expect from a game like that. Animations and characters who stick in place, that sort of thing is not my type of gameplay. It's not for me, thus the game, according to me, is terrible. Now, for others who don't mind that style of play, it's great.

To be fair, MH4 has actually improved the handling, animation, and flow of the series a lot. The new aerial moves, the vaulting/climbing/mounting, and just overall tweaks to timing, has put what I consider the finishing touches on the entire thing quite nicely. You should try the demo, and a faster weapon like the new insect glaive or twin blades.

Shiokazu

i was talking with a friend who wants to get into guild wars 2

he noticed that the revenant was a new class, we started talking about it, as i told him what i saw in twitch one of those days and what the devs said.

i might have not understood well but then out of nowhere he said that revenants were much like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1_J5EcKk8

Moondrop

Banned
To be fair, MH4 has actually improved the handling, animation, and flow of the series a lot.
Don't try to convert these heathens; just leave them to their lock-on and double jumps.

So what's the consensus on whether HoT will come bundled with a new character slot? Because I too am itching to pick a race, reserve a name, and plan out some skins.

Ashodin

Don't try to convert these heathens; just leave them to their lock-on and double jumps.

So what's the consensus on whether HoT will come bundled with a new character slot? Because I too am itching to pick a race, reserve a name, and plan out some skins.

The general consensus is the ArenaNet standard: two slots with expansion.

nataku

The general consensus is the ArenaNet standard: two slots with expansion.

I don't see why. We only get one new profession, so one character slot. With everything else, except EOTN since it had no new professions, there were two new professions so that's why we got two slots. There were no extra slots in EOTN since there was no need.

Pretty sure the boss is intended to be fought with group CC, and that the CC window is too small for a single person to remove the defiance.

One person wouldn't be able to do it because defiance will still very likely scale to the number of people in the area. But the window will be big enough that a few people with a lot of CC will be able to make up for the people not pulling their weight. You might not have time for all of it, but you'd certainly be able to get in four or five hits on your own. I have a hard time seeing a window of opportunity so small everyone only gets one shot.

Zeroth

One person wouldn't be able to do it because defiance will still very likely scale to the number of people in the area. But the window will be big enough that a few people with a lot of CC will be able to make up for the people not pulling their weight. You might not have time for all of it, but you'd certainly be able to get in four or five hits on your own. I have a hard time seeing a window of opportunity so small everyone only gets one shot.

From what they said, I'm inclined to believe the window is not as big as you are hoping. Furthermore, most classes have a CC skill in a regularly used weapon (especially now that blinds count too) and seems like the average will be below 5 "stacks" of CC skill, so I don't see any need for someone focusing on it:

With the regenerating bar, we’re able to reduce the amount of control required to trigger defiance while still requiring coordinated effort to control the boss.

Retro

Get Ready: Camera changes are coming!

I&#8217;m Branden Gee, one of the gameplay programmers working on Guild Wars 2, and I&#8217;m excited to announce a bunch of new changes and features for the camera system that Ryan Diedrich, Joel Helmich, and I have been working on. Now, before we get carried away talking about some of this cool new tech we&#8217;ve been developing, I&#8217;d like to answer the two questions I&#8217;m sure you are going to scour this blog post to find.

Yes, we are adding a first-person camera view.

Yes, we are adding an option to adjust the field of view.

But there is a whole lot more coming to the camera options on March 10. In addition to the first-person camera and field-of-view options, we&#8217;ll be adding better control over the camera&#8217;s positional offsets, a solution to camera snapping, and other features that you can read about below.

bb8afCamera-Changes.jpg

The Position slider&#8212;which was previously responsible for offsetting the camera to the left or right of your character as well as slightly adjusting the height of the camera&#8212;has been split off into two different options: Horizontal Position and Vertical Position.

The Horizontal Position slider will offset the camera to the left or right. You can use this to create an over-the-shoulder view that keeps the center of the screen clear.

The Vertical Position slider is a little more complicated. This option sets the maximum camera height when the camera is at maximum distance from the character. The actual camera height will adjust with the zoom level to ensure that your character is always on the screen.

A new feature we&#8217;re excited about is something we&#8217;re calling Collision Sensitivity. We&#8217;ve all been there&#8212;you&#8217;re running along, happily dispatching ambient rabbits, when suddenly a small tree comes between your camera and your character, causing the camera to snap in very close and completely ruin your immersion. Well, we fixed this! When enabled, this setting will adjust how much stuff (trees, walls, rocks, etc.) needs to be between your character and your camera before the camera snaps in. When this feature ships, it will be automatically enabled in your camera options; if you&#8217;d like to disable this new functionality, simply move the slider all the way to the left and the old functionality will be restored.

When planning out these features, we delved through your feedback on the forums for extra improvements we could add to the camera. Because of this, the Zoom Sensitivity feature was added. It adjusts how many mouse-wheel clicks it takes to zoom fully in or out. Moving this slider to the left will cause the zoom level to change in smaller increments, meaning you&#8217;ll need to roll your mouse wheel 42 clicks to fully zoom, compared to the usual 7 clicks when the slider is set to the right.

A much requested feature, the Field of View slider is a setting that will allow you to adjust how much can be seen in the game world. Moving the slider left will shrink the field of view, and moving it right will make it larger. As an example, for those of you playing the game using multiple monitors, lowering the field of view should help with the fish-eye effect you may be experiencing.

When the Enable First-Person Camera feature is enabled, zooming in all the way will put the camera in first-person view. You can use the first-person camera mode while standing in place, walking, running, jumping, playing PvP, or at any other time. There aren&#8217;t any restrictions for when and where the first-person view can be used, so enjoy it whenever you like. We&#8217;re looking forward to seeing the beautiful screenshots that you&#8217;re going to be taking!

Under the hood, we&#8217;re also changing which part of your character the camera focuses on. No matter your race or size, the camera will now focus on your character&#8217;s head. This is going to give norn players a relatively taller feeling than their asura-playing friends. We understand that for some of you this could potentially make things like jumping puzzles a bit more difficult. To counteract this, we have added the Adjust Camera to Character Height toggle. When it is unchecked, the camera will move to a consistent position above your character&#8217;s feet, regardless of how big or small your character may be.

With all of these changes coming to the camera, we realize that things could get a tad overwhelming. To ensure that you never get stuck in a camera configuration you don&#8217;t like, we&#8217;ve added a handy button called Restore Defaults that, as you might guess, resets your camera settings to defaults. The Restore Defaults button will only affect your camera settings and should help you navigate this new camera experience.

We really hope you find these new options and functionalities helpful as you enjoy the world of Tyria. We certainly know we&#8217;re excited for them!

From what they said, I'm inclined to believe the window is not as big as you are hoping. Furthermore, most classes have a CC skill in a regularly used weapon (especially now that blinds count too) and seems like the average will be below 5 "stacks" of CC skill, so I don't see any need for someone focusing on it:

Everyone keep running the current meta and nothing else even be considered, got it.

Blinds will be nothing compared to knockdowns and long stuns or dazes. Stuff like the Thief's Head Shot was specifically mentioned as well as not being worth as much on the new defiance bar as other, stronger forms of CC.

If they want to make the defiance bar meaningful, there will be fights that make people run builds that they normally wouldn't consider in PvE. CC was useless in open world boss fights previously, so this should be the time and place to make it desirable.

It should be difficult to take the entire bar, and you should be severely punished for not breaking the bosses.

Call me surprised they made a blog for it!

I'm not, actually. The camera is half of how the player interacts with the game, and is pretty much integral to their agency. Any kind of changes/adjustments made to it are massive, with wide-reaching effects most players don't even consider because well, people don't understand how games work (shocker).

Just the FOV change in the first year alone was a pretty big deal, that they ran a beta for it for months before committing it. These changes are much more pronounced - I'm surprised half of them are even going in so quickly, without a beta.

And you know how players freak out when something changes - so Anet giving people a long lead up time and heads up (which will probably not be enough and the forums will fill with 'OMG game ruined forever they changed how the camera works wtf), is expected. Hell, I still remember the Quake 2 rocket launcher fiasco. Massive public outcry, because the rockets moved a bit too slow compared to Q1.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Stability-Change-Clarification/first#post4835327

Hello all!

A few days ago, we showed a few of the abilities and traits for our new profession, the Revenant. Along with the new profession, we were able to show a change to stability, and we mentioned that you&#8217;ll be seeing this change sooner rather than later. That &#8221;sooner&#8221; will be upon us very shortly!

Here&#8217;s the lowdown:

Stability is moving from being a binary duration-stacking type that blocks all crowd-controls for its duration to an intensity-stacking boon that removes one stack per incoming crowd-control. The goal of this change is to make the boon non-binary and to increase the benefit of using stability-granting abilities at the most opportune time in order to absorb the most control skills possible.

Almost all profession skills and traits that previously granted stability have been looked at and will be modified to apply an appropriate number of stacks according to their purpose. For example: Dolyak Signet (whose primary function is self-stability) will gain 10 stacks of stability for 8 seconds, while Toss Elixir B (which is an area of effect ability for the engineer) will grant 3 stacks to 5 allies for 5 seconds.

You may ask: &#8220;But what about my boon removal skills? Will they only corrupt one instance of stability now?&#8221; To which we say: Your corruptions and boon removals will clear the boon completely, unless otherwise noted.

I hope that&#8217;s cleared things up a bit. Thanks for reading!

-Karl

Dolyak Signet getting 10 stacks is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom