• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ive going back on forth between various different mmo-like games recently, trying to settle on what I want to continue playing

I keep coming back to this. I don't think think theres another game out there that matches the world design of this game. The more freeform quest system makes it feel less linear, and combat is very satisfying. Also feels nice to play a game that actually feels alive. People everywhere and any time an event appears, you can count of a crowd appearing

Currently leveling a couple characters, Elementalist, Mesmer, and gonna try a third. Once I settle on one, will probably try to get in on the GAF guild

Stuart444

I logged in today and played (somewhat) for the first time in a long while. Decided to take a quick break from my main MMO (FFXIV) and I had GW2 music in my head haha. I love GW/GW2 music.

However after trying KB+M after playing FFXIV with a controller for so long, it felt so awkward. So I set up the controller stuff in the op which works nicely. <3 Wish this had native controller support but oh well.

I had missed Living World S1 completely outside of a few random log-ins (in which I saw what happened to LA) so the last time I properly played was when they added the first new zone (that middle area). I did log in and get the Living World S2 stuff added to my journal each time GW2 was updated so I do have some story stuff I can play.

So yeah, not much point of this post outside of saying I feel overwhelmed and feel very newbish after such a long break (not even sure if I'll buy HoT since GW2 isn't exactly my main MMO now but maybe Living World S2 will convince me). And also a big thanks for the controller config stuff of course. :)

I logged in today and played (somewhat) for the first time in a long while. Decided to take a quick break from my main MMO (FFXIV) and I had GW2 music in my head haha. I love GW/GW2 music.

However after trying KB+M after playing FFXIV with a controller for so long, it felt so awkward. So I set up the controller stuff in the op which works nicely. <3 Wish this had native controller support but oh well.

I had missed Living World S1 completely outside of a few random log-ins (in which I saw what happened to LA) so the last time I properly played was when they added the first new zone (that middle area). I did log in and get the Living World S2 stuff added to my journal each time GW2 was updated so I do have some story stuff I can play.

So yeah, not much point of this post outside of saying I feel overwhelmed and feel very newbish after such a long break (not even sure if I'll buy HoT since GW2 isn't exactly my main MMO now but maybe Living World S2 will convince me). And also a big thanks for the controller config stuff of course. :)

I can really recommend combat mod. It turns it into like tera, but better!:)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Upgraded my HDD to SSD and my old video card to a GTX 970.

Areas load in seconds, I can now play in 1080p, my icons are tiny, I can't read text from my couch and I still get 20 fps in Silverwastes. ^_^

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Upgraded my HDD to SSD and my old video card to a GTX 970.

Areas load in seconds, I can now play in 1080p, my icons are tiny, I can't read text from my couch and I still get 20 fps in Silverwastes. ^_^

You can make the UI bigger, and unless your CPU is terrible you should be getting 60fps in SW with a few video settings reduced (model quality/quantity and reflections are killers).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
You can make the UI bigger, and unless your CPU is terrible you should be getting 60fps in SW with a few video settings reduced (model quality/quantity and reflections are killers).

Ya, I got the UI down - I just found it to be really ridiculous when I first booted up the game.

I ended up going with just playing it at 720p with all the bells and whistles on. I think I prefer it to a crisper game with settings set to med/low.

Spyware

Finally took time to actually play a bit for the first time... this year, I think. Been way too busy with other games and life and stuff.

Ambre made it to 80 and became my 25th max leveled character. I made a post with pics on Tumblr :)

Thorgal

should I really grind for portal

Depends on how badly you want to get in the beta that might just crash and burn when put under stress :p

it also helps to give yourself an additional goal .

I decided that i would grind the silverwastes until i had a 1000 bandit crests and could get my carapace leggings .

If during that i did not get a portal to drop i would quit trying .

got my portal to drop during the last meta round i needed to do to get to 1000 :)

Retro

I'm not in any particular rush to get into the Beta. This isn't like before the game launched and there were doubts and concerns over whether the game delivered or not. I know Heart of Thorns is going to be good because Guild Wars 2 already is, and since I'll definitely be picking the expansion up I don't really feel the urge to get a sneak preview. It'll only be a few months or so when I can play it '"for real" anyways, and rather than burn myself out farming now, I'll level some alts or (as I've been doing for the past week) giving some other games in my library a little attention.

Proven

The more I think about it, the more I'm not that concerned about the beta either. It sounds more and more likely that 1) It'll be PvE only and 2) Only the backend expansion changes will be available; i.e. no specializations.

I only just finished the Dragon's Reach Part 2, so I haven't even unlocked the Silverwastes for myself yet.

And today marks another milestone: I received my first ever 28-day log in reward.

Duress

So is the story line that I started in March, a different story from when the game launched? I'm not sure how they went about Lion's Arch, with the single player story line.

Retro

So is the story line that I started in March, a different story from when the game launched? I'm not sure how they went about Lion's Arch, with the single player story line.

There's the Personal Story which the game launched with, and then the "Living World" which is their ongoing story that occurs in roughly real time. Lion's Arch was attacked and destroyed in March 2014, but for whatever reason when the two overlap it goes with the Living World version. Which is why LA is a ruin even in the Personal Story instead of looking like it should have when those events were originally meant to have occurred.

They did mention a while back that they can revert it now, not sure whatever became of that.

Levyne

Banned

Let us know if you want people to talk to and stuff, we could get you a guild invite. We have guild missions tonight and tomorrow which might be a little old hat at this point because they haven't changed up, but still a good way to hang out and shoot the shit for a couple hours.

As for feeling overwhelmed, you can ask us anything if that helps.

Edit: I want guild halls so bad. Hurry up, Colin.

Stuart444

Let us know if you want people to talk to and stuff, we could get you a guild invite. We have guild missions tonight and tomorrow which might be a little old hat at this point because they haven't changed up, but still a good way to hang out and shoot the shit for a couple hours.

As for feeling overwhelmed, you can ask us anything if that helps.

Edit: I want guild halls so bad. Hurry up, Colin.

I'm in my old guild (from GW1/start of GW2) but thanks for the offer.

Still trying to get used to it, I just did some guild missions today which was odd. One defeat waves of enemies thing and one swim rush one. The controller set up is helping immensely now.

The new areas are certainly confusing though, trying to get from one part of the area to another.

I have two extra character slots so when I'm not doing anything on my main/playing another game, I may just start up a new character just for the hell of it. Iirc, it was a fun leveling process.

edit: also funny thing, it took me about half an hour or so before realizing my traits were reset (also I only just remembered I had traits when I opened up that menu haha) and had to set them up all over again.)

Elementalist with a focus on healing. :D I enjoy helping others with my water magic.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, you can be in five guilds. But I won't insist. You can chat with us here on the forum during your XIV break at least.

Stuart444

Yep, you can be in five guilds. But I won't insist. You can chat with us here on the forum during your XIV break at least.

Honestly I forgot you can join multiple guilds. Can you invite us when we're offline?

If so, characters name is Jade Arcana

I'm not in any particular rush to get into the Beta. This isn't like before the game launched and there were doubts and concerns over whether the game delivered or not. I know Heart of Thorns is going to be good because Guild Wars 2 already is, and since I'll definitely be picking the expansion up I don't really feel the urge to get a sneak preview. It'll only be a few months or so when I can play it '"for real" anyways, and rather than burn myself out farming now, I'll level some alts or (as I've been doing for the past week) giving some other games in my library a little attention.

I feel the same!

A few weeks ago, Ranger pets got two new stats added that showed up in the Pet Management panel as code numbers, and now they show as "Expertise" and "Concentration."

Has anyone talked about what they might be? There are two traits that I thought might be related, but when I equipped them and went into combat, the pet's stats didn't change.

screenshot75014_resulb8ug7.jpg

Zeroth

A few weeks ago, Ranger pets got two new stats added that showed up in the Pet Management panel as code numbers, and now they show as "Expertise" and "Concentration."

Has anyone talked about what they might be? There are two traits that I thought might be related, but when I equipped them and went into combat, the pet's stats didn't change.

They are stats related to common stats IIRC, nothing especial.

They are stats related to common stats IIRC, nothing especial.

It's Condition (Expertise) and Boon (Concentration) Duration, so why don't they call it that like on the player's stats?

It needs a New Player Experience intervention. This is too confusing.

Stuart444

So I was doing the cornered mission where you have to fight that... whoever. He was taking waaay too long to kill and the tendrils whenever you get knocked down doesn't make it easy.

Half of his health gone and boom. kicked from game. went back in and turns out I have to start that mission all over again.

At that point, I said "fuck that" and exited the game. I'll try again another day but I really wish they would save your progress in an instance if you get kicked from the game -_-

Levyne

Banned
So I was doing the cornered mission where you have to fight that... whoever. He was taking waaay too long to kill and the tendrils whenever you get knocked down doesn't make it easy.

Half of his health gone and boom. kicked from game. went back in and turns out I have to start that mission all over again.

At that point, I said "fuck that" and exited the game. I'll try again another day but I really wish they would save your progress in an instance if you get kicked from the game -_-

Guild War 1 had something like that, unfortunately nothing like that here :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't get worked up over getting in the beta because there's no guarantee I'd be able to play when it's going on.

Thanks for getting those invites out Ike :D

There will be a lotto tonight- just remember, if you can't make it to missions you can still buy tickets for the main jackpot at any time.

Proven

So that_shaman released his specialization tool on dulfy.net today. http://www.dulfy.net/2015/05/02/gw2-specialization-calculator-that_shaman

And as a test, the Warrior build I plan to use to preserve my old build (Sword/Warhorn+Longbow, Rabid):
http://dulfy.net/2015/05/02/gw2-spe...jcyIsMiw1LDddLFsiRGlzY2lwbGluZSIsMyw2LDldXQ==

Edit:

For Thief (Death Blossom, Settler): http://dulfy.net/2015/05/02/gw2-spe...iYXRpY3MiLDMsNiw3XSxbIlRyaWNrZXJ5IiwzLDQsOF1d

Others are in flux because of too much I want to test.

Does anyone have any fun PVE/Dungeon builds for warriors or guardians? I've been running a gs/axe axe healing shout build on my warrior which is pretty fun (though outdated), but I want to branch out into other weapons and skills that aren't a part of the gs/axe-mace metagame.

Meanwhile, my guardian has been languishing from build to build, and the gs/sword-focus type meta builds have gotten old back when Scarlett was still a thing. Would really like to try something else, but all the good builds are really monotonous and it's hard finding any consistently good build communities online.

Does anyone have any fun PVE/Dungeon builds for warriors or guardians? I've been running a gs/axe axe healing shout build on my warrior which is pretty fun (though outdated), but I want to branch out into other weapons and skills that aren't a part of the gs/axe-mace metagame.

Meanwhile, my guardian has been languishing from build to build, and the gs/sword-focus type meta builds have gotten old back when Scarlett was still a thing. Would really like to try something else, but all the good builds are really monotonous and it's hard finding any consistently good build communities online.
For a change of pace...
For warrior, I would recommend trying GS/longbow for might stacking goodness.
Max out tactics and take inspiring banners, empower allies, and phalanx strength.
Max out arms to get forceful greatsword and Furious so you can pump out lots of adrenaline to make LB fire fields.
Last couple trait points you can play with as you need.
Use phalanx strength with forceful greatsword to pump might stacks along with the longbow for fire field generating/blasting. Empower allies and banners of strength and discipline will pump everyone's damage even further as well as help you crit things. The last Utility is more or less open, signet of fury and FGJ are good options for moar crits.

As for guardian, I usually run a GS/Hammer meditation+symbol build. It's kinda weird but it works decently well using Berserker stats.
I max out Valor for the meditation traits, then take 4 points in honor for the symbol traits to increase their area and duration (very nice with hammer), then I take 4 points in virtues for Absolute Resolution.

CoE1 next :D

I've already done CoE1 as a trio with Hawkian and Eeble, actually.

Zeroth and I have duoed CoE2 before, including the Abomination, so a trio shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe we will trio CoE3 for something different. I can think of a few ways to manage the Evolved Destroyer near the end.

For a change of pace...
For warrior, I would recommend trying GS/longbow for might stacking goodness.
Max out tactics and take inspiring banners, empower allies, and phalanx strength.
Max out arms to get forceful greatsword and Furious so you can pump out lots of adrenaline to make LB fire fields.
Last couple trait points you can play with as you need.
Use phalanx strength with forceful greatsword to pump might stacks along with the longbow for fire field generating/blasting. Empower allies and banners of strength and discipline will pump everyone's damage even further as well as help you crit things. The last Utility is more or less open, signet of fury and FGJ are good options for moar crits.

As for guardian, I usually run a GS/Hammer meditation+symbol build. It's kinda weird but it works decently well using Berserker stats.
I max out Valor for the meditation traits, then take 4 points in honor for the symbol traits to increase their area and duration (very nice with hammer), then I take 4 points in virtues for Absolute Resolution.
I'm sorry, but which Furious should I take in arms?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to check the last trait slot in arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeahh I can't make makeups today. Good mission luck!

We did trio runs of SE 1, Arah 2, and HotW 1 after guild missions. Easy stuff.
did that 3 man the other day of SE2, was rough in just a couple spots but a nice challenge. The boss gave up and stopped buffing his golems at some point though, lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom