• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Probably not the place we'd be able to help here, you might want to trek over to the official forums https://forums.station.sony.com/h1z1/index.php
There's a tech support forum there. Worst case, you found something that they aren't aware of and it might take a bit for a fix. Best case, it's something easily fixed and someone else has encountered it and troubleshot it already for you.

They'll almost assuredly want more information about your PC too, since 'it crashes' doesn't help if they can't figure out why :( The danger of running anything on PC, but MOSTLY alpha/beta products.

Thanks for the response. Will try. :)

Chabbles

When a server starts, or restarts, loot spawns everywhere, right ?. And when the map is picked dry of this loot, does new loot ever actually respawn ?, have the Devs given any info on how this happens or how quickly it respawns, if at all ?.

Been watching some streams of this game and so far I like what I see, it's smooth and easy to look at, seems well built for what it's doing.

I'm interested.

red731

is there any way to adjust graphics settings outside of the game world?

Quick google-fu would like to have a word with you.
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2sqv1q/increase_performance_through_useroptionsini/ here you go, you lazy bastard
KuGsj.gif

ed: But yeah, what I wrote is on a system level - would be nice, down the road, to have Option / Server browser / Exit game / etc in the menu.

ed2: Am SneakyCat on Solace.

ed:3 dropping items that have more that one piece can be splitted - hold shift while moving them to the ground

So, once the games is completed is the general consensus that this is better than DayZ could even be? It seems like with SOE behind it, the game will be done and launched on both PC and PS4 before DayZ ever reaches 1.0.

Do we know if the PS4 version is being developed alongside the PC version or are they going to do an after the fact conversion like with PlanetSide 2?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
By the way, why is mob pathing so bad in these games? The DayZ dev blog on it seemed really convoluted. Aside from evade bugs in other mmo's, it never struck me as something difficult to get right.

Hellers

When you sit down and see what they have running at the moment and what they have on the roadmap it's pretty easy to see where they're heading with this. I just think it's a little early for them to be making these desperate little incremental changes trying to find the perfect balance. I think now is the only perfect time to be whacking those sliders around the place just to see what happens. They might even find some new fun game modes out of it. The time for fine tuning the balance can come later.

Lemondish

So, once the games is completed is the general consensus that this is better than DayZ could even be? It seems like with SOE behind it, the game will be done and launched on both PC and PS4 before DayZ ever reaches 1.0.

Do we know if the PS4 version is being developed alongside the PC version or are they going to do an after the fact conversion like with PlanetSide 2?

I'm sure that's all in flux, but I wouldn't be surprised if they launch side by side. Even though Planetside 2 hasn't launched on PS4 yet, I imagine they're learning a whole ton of things about the system and could easily apply that knowledge to H1Z1.

Sevenfold

When you sit down and see what they have running at the moment and what they have on the roadmap it's pretty easy to see where they're heading with this. I just think it's a little early for them to be making these desperate little incremental changes trying to find the perfect balance. I think now is the only perfect time to be whacking those sliders around the place just to see what happens. They might even find some new fun game modes out of it. The time for fine tuning the balance can come later.

Game is fun as hell. I got it to solo and avoid other players like the plague (easy to do in DayZ) but I'm finding myself compelled to group up and experience the bonkers interactions and general two-facedness of the human race. I agree completely about the sliders. See what works now that they've (semi-successfully) informed the masses that the game isn't releasing in the state it was in 20 minutes after launch, and settle on happy mediums and yeah, tweak some shit to 11 and give it a game mode :D It's already way better than DayZ and it's getting (ever so slightly) better every time they patch it.

Is it me or do zombies not look like a threat in this? part of the early days of dayz when zombies were beastly is what made the scare and sneak factor so good, even if the zombies were broken and OP it made them a huge threat you had to sneak past.

Hellers

I think the biggest issue for me at the moment is the map design vs the number of players. Given how little there is to do out in the wilderness (You can walk for an hour and not see anything but blackberries) this has the effect of funnelling people into the populated areas for something to do. This has the rather unfortunate effect of negating a lot of the improvements in the loot spawning. Yes there's definitely more of it now but also you can pretty much guarrantee almost every time you run up to a place to see if you can find anything there's someone either already there or just finished and leaving.

Also one oddity. Is it the same for everyone else where containers like cabinets and the like almost never contain anything and most of the stuff you find is out in plain view? Seems weird and probably a bit broken.

Is it me or do zombies not look like a threat in this? part of the early days of dayz when zombies were beastly is what made the scare and sneak factor so good, even if the zombies were broken and OP it made them a huge threat you had to sneak past.

Have you played? You can't take on more than one at a time without a gun. There are times when you get an aggressive mob on you and you have to run for your life.

Hellers

They're slowly getting there. Smed said yesterday that we were currently running in easy mode and they planned to ramp up the zombie difficulty. To be honest at the moment the combat is so janky it's probably a good thing the zombies aren't a massive threat. :)

SDCowboy

I think the biggest issue for me at the moment is the map design vs the number of players. Given how little there is to do out in the wilderness (You can walk for an hour and not see anything but blackberries) this has the effect of funnelling people into the populated areas for something to do.

This is exactly what I was complaining about yesterday. Once you venture off the main road on the bottom of the map, there is nothing. They need to significantly increase the amount of little towns because right now everyone is funneled into the same areas along the same road. Why not have barns and cabins and such deep in the woods?

red731

So why are they charging people to beta test their game?

I don't know. You are asking the correct question that only handful of people - the non bitching, understands.

Bouyers have brain and may or may not know that when finished, it will be f2p.
You are basicaly buying into play testing now, hence the EA.

ed: Solace - anyone here is Baronn or Virginn? You team speak using bunch?

SDCowboy

So why are they charging people to beta test their game?

Yeah you'd think they'd at least give the people that paid to test their game for them some kind of permanent gear to show off. Like a hat and shirt or something. Or have us start with an ax or something.

Sevenfold

I don't know. You are asking the correct question that only handful of people - the non bitching, understands.

Bouyers have brain and may or may not know that when finished, it will be f2p.
You are basicaly buying into play testing now, hence the EA.

ed: Solace - anyone here is Baronn or Virginn? You team speak using bunch?

Everyone who has paid for it and is sticking with it are of the same mindset (know it's full of bugs and may change massively before release) and I'm enjoying playing with these people. If it went open alpha there wouldn't be any room for bug reporting/suggestions for all the qq.

I'm sure that's all in flux, but I wouldn't be surprised if they launch side by side. Even though Planetside 2 hasn't launched on PS4 yet, I imagine they're learning a whole ton of things about the system and could easily apply that knowledge to H1Z1.
I'm really excited for this kind of game to come to the PS4.

red731

Everyone who has paid for it and is sticking with it are of the same mindset (know it's full of bugs and may change massively before release) and I'm enjoying playing with these people. If it went open alpha there wouldn't be any room for bug reporting/suggestions for all the qq.

ed: (preword - totaly forgot you said - are sticking with it) I aggree with you regarding the second ppart, but not everyone has the same mindset when buying it.
People with money to spare can buy it because it is there and then they will bitch about refund because they don't do any research into what they are buying.

I like this game even in this state now. Hell, I am crounched in a bush while typing this :D

Hellers

Can someone tell me if the loot and hunger/thirst are noticeably changed? I can't log in until this afternoon.

A little bit. Hydration seems to drop slower now but energy doesn't seem much changed to me. Loot is a little better but I'm still finding almost nothing in containers and most stuff out in plain sight.

Are the player spawns random or are they localized in say the southern border of the map?

Also, is your gear and position persistent across all servers or only the one you currently play on?

SDCowboy

A little bit. Hydration seems to drop slower now but energy doesn't seem much changed to me. Loot is a little better but I'm still finding almost nothing in containers and most stuff out in plain sight.

sigh...great. They really need to just crank the loot and then lessen is as needed.

Is there a good / evil rating for your player in this? as in can you not kill anyone and slay zombies to be a good guy?

I only ask because 99% of the people playing on twitch are killers, fun as it is there's no drive for being a good guy.

SDCowboy

Is there a good / evil rating for your player in this? as in can you not kill anyone and slay zombies to be a good guy?

I only ask because 99% of the people playing on twitch are killers, fun as it is there's no drive for being a good guy.

No, which is why I play on PVE.

Sevenfold

ed: (preword - totaly forgot you said - are sticking with it) I aggree with you regarding the second ppart, but not everyone has the same mindset when buying it.
People with money to spare can buy it because it is there and then they will bitch about refund because they don't do any research into what they are buying.

Yeah if nothing else (and assuming the figure stated by SOE (.5%) was correct and is still around the same) the refund announcement shut a lot of people up. Along with Smed's post about the future (added to the fact that it all came about when the majority of the devs were alseep after an epic day.)
It all seems to be settling down now and the game is crazy popular on Twitch and there are lots of 'stories' appearing on Reddit and Youtube. SOE have there moments but I'm pretty confident about the future of H1Z1.

I like this game even in this state now. Hell, I am crounched in a bush while typing this :D

Speaking of which, why Planetside 2 isn't on PS4 yet I can't fathom. What is it that's making them drag their heels on what looks on the surface to be a PC to PC-like conversion? Is it the pay model? Can it still be free on PS4? It's a great game and will be huge on Playstation if it ever comes out!

Ravijn

Speaking of which, why Planetside 2 isn't on PS4 yet I can't fathom. What is it that's making them drag their heels on what looks on the surface to be a PC to PC-like conversion? Is it the pay model? Can it still be free on PS4? It's a great game and will be huge on Playstation if it ever comes out!

My personal feelings on that subject is that if the PS4 version isn't on par with the PC version graphically a lot of people are going to be upset.

Wallach

Are the player spawns random or are they localized in say the southern border of the map?

Also, is your gear and position persistent across all servers or only the one you currently play on?

Characters are server-specific.

I'm not sure exactly how player spawns work yet; I think there are only certain ranges within the map you can spawn in, but where within those spots you spawn seems random.

Klyka

Banned
You can tell in his video that the connection he is getting from the game is far from standard, it's like the deer was unable to confirm he was even there.

Seriously the deer fucking run away from you like mad.
There is a reason there is an item in the game that masks your scent better.

And the zombies/wolves/bears are hella clever at pathfinding a lot of the time,especially when they are in full on hunting mode.

Wallach

I have never once seen the zombies or the deer behave like this in 4 hours played

The first day the servers were open the server-side load was much worse, which is what controls how often stuff with AI scripts get to update. Even now the zombies have a lot of trouble with player positioning and stuff, but it's improving rapidly as they sort early stuff out.

That's the danger of charging people for access when the game is this far from a "shippable" state, even if it gets addressed quickly.

SDCowboy

OK thought so, hope they look into something like that.

I don't see that happening as it would change the whole game (even though it would probably be in a good way). Most people who play on PVP servers play it as a PVP game, whereas PVE servers are more about the zombie survival and cooperation.

Top Bottom