• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

Wallach

I would be fine if I could light a fire. I have nothing to do so.

Early on you should try to get a Bow Drill together. It's one scrap cloth, one wood stick and one wood plank. You can get the sticks from some of the flora directly, and the planks from smashing small crates with your fists (check the back rooms of gas stations and such).

Chabbles

This scenario is pay2win. Say a group meet up, 4 or 5 players, craft some bows maybe for protection. Then they call in air drops one by one while the rest stand guard and protect the drop site. After afew minutes you could easily have a full squad kitted up with the best gear. I've played close to 5 hours and havent seen a firearm anywhere, but if i want i can open the menu up and call some in at any moment.

Tobor

Early on you should try to get a Bow Drill together. It's one scrap cloth, one wood stick and one wood plank. You can get the sticks from some of the flora directly, and the planks from smashing small crates with your fists (check the back rooms of gas stations and such).

Aha! Thanks!

This scenario is pay2win. Say a group meet up, 4 or 5 players, craft some bows maybe for protection. Then they call in air drops one by one while the rest stand guard and protect the drop site. After afew minutes you could easily have a full squad kitted up with the best gear. I've played close to 5 hours and havent seen a firearm anywhere, but if i want i can open the menu up and call some in at any moment.

The loot respawn still seems messed up. Also you can get quests off zombies that give you a ton of loot including guns

Tobor

Looks like a group of dudes have holed up in the Romero supermarket in pleasant valley. They have barricaded it and everything. Is that GAF people?

sackninja

But the loot from airdrops are often mediocre at best. Guns are really rare from them. They posted what you can get on reddit.

Jams775

What if the crates dropped hundreds of crowbars and while you were looting it the rained turned from water into scrap metal?

antonz

watched a twitch this morning that was freaking hilarious. Guys had a police soundboard and everything and were cruising around in a cop car harassing people running on the roads etc. They had no guns or anything so weren't being dicks just gunning everyone down.

The reaction people would have when the car would come flying up on them sirens blaring then the soundboard being used

Teknoman

So if you join the team speak server, can people still hear you using in game chat? Also is text chat broken?

BTW why can you break boxes with fists but not with a hammer lol?

Edit: And navigation in game is done from in game map signs at this point?

antonz

Loots going to be an issue until they expand the map. Doesn't matter how much quicker they make loot respawn if there is only a few key areas. The people will camp those areas making it so it seems there is never any loot.

DarKshodaN

I played for an Hour, and found a Sniper Rifle, Backpack and lots of food. So when you are lucky you definitely find some gear quick.

Somnia

Good luck with that, you're going to have a lot of people and zombies show up. On top of that you have a 10% chance of actually getting a gun. Enjoy!

Hellers

Loots going to be an issue until they expand the map. Doesn't matter how much quicker they make loot respawn if there is only a few key areas. The people will camp those areas making it so it seems there is never any loot.

While that's the biggest part I don't think it's the entire issue. Head to a town like Cranberry on a PvE server so you can't get killed while experimenting. There's no zombies at all so no danger. Have a good look around. Take note of the sheer amount of containers and the amount of players active in the area. There's no way the players are clearing out the loot as fast as it spawns. It's either spawning incredibly slowly or it's not spawning at all.

Here's me spending 15 minutes in the place. Surprisingly though I do find a loaded gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KJbmuIiVc&list=UUdF4c4bQnS543nwDKpj2B9g

Just saying using the same engine as a graphically pretty game does not=automatically gonna be a pretty game. It's all about how the dev uses the engine at their disposal and the assets. For example, Sonic Boom is a cry-engine game but doesn't look anywhere near as good as a crysis title or many other games at the time of it's release.

Yeah like Crytek is making Sonic Boom, right?

kcxiv

Good luck with that, you're going to have a lot of people and zombies show up. On top of that you have a 10% chance of actually getting a gun. Enjoy!

lets not forget zombies are broken right now too they dont react like they should. once they actually do, zombies plus other PC's its going to make it a pain in the ass to get the weapon if one is even in there.

who is to say that one of your group of 4-5 people dont get killed on the way to get the damned crate.. Its going to be a crap shoot as long as they dont make the clans in the game unlimited number of people inside. they need to cap it at like 10.

Nibiru

Banned
I hate p2w and I'm not afraid to say it. I get they need revenue but there are many f2p games that have done this without being p2w. The airdrops are a bad idea and I think they will be gone soon. If they don't get rid of them or nerf them into the ground then this game will fade away.

I have read all the arguments defending the airdrops and they are terrible you just can't put perfume on a pig and call it sexy.

The game has so much potential, bugs, loot from containers and so many other things need fixing but that's all good because it's early access. The airdrops, however, have got to go or have their loot table gutted.

Cosmetics are a great way for f2p games to earn btw.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
While that's the biggest part I don't think it's the entire issue. Head to a town like Cranberry on a PvE server so you can't get killed while experimenting. There's no zombies at all so no danger. Have a good look around. Take note of the sheer amount of containers and the amount of players active in the area. There's no way the players are clearing out the loot as fast as it spawns. It's either spawning incredibly slowly or it's not spawning at all.

Here's me spending 15 minutes in the place. Surprisingly though I do find a loaded gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KJbmuIiVc&list=UUdF4c4bQnS543nwDKpj2B9g
Yeah, there's a lot of people who feel like it's a waste of time/annoying to loot every container in a dense area and skip a lot of them. It definitely seems like spawning is really slowly or not happening in 90% of the containers.

sackninja

I hate p2w and I'm not afraid to say it. I get they need revenue but there are many f2p games that have done this without being p2w. The airdrops are a bad idea and I think they will be gone soon. If they don't get rid of them or nerf them into the ground then this game will fade away.

I have read all the arguments defending the airdrops and they are terrible you just can't put perfume on a pig and call it sexy.

The game has so much potential, bugs, loot from containers and so many other things need fixing but that's all good because it's early access. The airdrops, however, have got to go or have their loot table gutted.

Cosmetics are a great way for f2p games to earn btw.

But... But the drops you get aren't even that good most of the time... I think its a fine system, now that its working as intended. Plus you rarely get the airdrop you paid for because someone kills you.

akileese

Is there a voice server for those playing on no hope?

e: No Hope is at the point where it's the queue is like 30 minutes and it's always longer than that. Perhaps we should find a different server?

Nibiru

Banned
But... But the drops you get aren't even that good most of the time... I think its a fine system, now that its working as intended. Plus you rarely get the airdrop you paid for because someone kills you.

That is really anecdotal. If you aren't a moron with your location when you call it you can pretty safely get your loot not to mention if you have a group of friends that can gaurd you... Look it's p2w there is no sugar coating. They are packages you pay for that are designed to give you a massive edge. If it was materials and such that would not be as bad. The guns need to go.

I think they will eventually be gone or nerfed. No dev that is this jacked in to community input could possibly be so obtuse as to leave them the way they are.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Anyone find a comprehensive recipe/crafting guide yet?

Anyone know if there is a way to move objects you have placed?

http://www.h1z1crafting.com/ - some recipes may be wrong, but it's good enough.

That is really anecdotal. If you aren't a moron with your location when you call it you can pretty safely get your loot not to mention if you have a group of friends that can gaurd you... Look it's p2w there is no sugar coating. They are packages you pay for that are designed to give you a massive edge. If it was materials and such that would not be as bad. The guns need to go.

I think they will eventually be gone or nerfed. No dev that is this jacked in to community input could possibly be so obtuse as to leave them the way they are.

There's a 10% chance to get a pistol or a shotgun. airdrops are loud, visible, and slow. There's no way to know exactly where the airdrop will deploy. The crates take around a minute to hit the ground once they do start falling.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't think the airdrops are working well. They still spawn really close to the caller and I've only ever seen 2 other people show up max. You can definitely abuse it in a bumfuck nowhere area of the map. The people who talk about a dozen people showing up have to be calling near a large town or something.

Sure they could further tweak the spawn areas and the timers, but as someone who hates RNG, there's no way I'd be paying any amount of money for a 60% chance to get shit loot and I'm not sure who actually would. And as someone who doesn't like pay2win, I don't want to see any weapon buffs.

I just can't imagine a good balance. Airdrops are great for the game, but they need to be a free random event for great loot. Monetize the game in other ways.

Hellers

I decided to do a loot search on a server I figured would be less populated. A first person, headshot only, recipe wipe one. I spawn near a gas station but get killed. Luckily when I respawn I'm near Cranberry (Which has zombies as it turns out). In rapid succession I find a axe, machette, some clothes, a little food, quite a few hammers in cars.

The things I noticed the most? Almost nothing comes from containers. The bulk of my haul is just sitting out in the world. The second is not a single scrap metal from a car and no sign of a crowbar (Despite finding all the other tools).

I hope you at least read the latest changes and have actually played the game before offering such an irrefutable opinion. All of us who have played and the vast majority complaining online has ceased since they updated it. Also people really dramatize the advantages of these gun drops in game. My crew of four went on one run into town we got 3 hunting rifles, an ar 15, 5 pistols, ammo for all of it and found parts for a working police car. Case drops are 5 dollars a piece. Crews will be geared regardless.
1) Make the plane move slowly (53% of current) This increases the ability for other players to react to the plane coming in.

2) Make the drop fall more slowly (80% of current) This increases the ability for other players to react to the plane coming in.

3) Less accurate maximum drop radius (was 250m now 700m, so with these settings it would drop up to 700m from the calling player)

4) New minimum distance of 250m for airdrops to appear from a player. This is a little less than ½ the player density of 700m distance with 120 players on a server. Therefore more players are likely to be near the airdrop when deployed.

5) Increase the minimum number of required players to 120 (a little higher after more discussion about player density being important to keeping airdrops contested)

H1Z1 Airdrop Events and drop percentages
65% chance to call in one of these airdrops

The Caveman
Bow 1x
Bundle of Arrows 2x
Torch 1x
Waist pack 1x
7 Zombies
The Welder
Wrench 1x
Hammer 1x
Metal Sheets 4x
Metal Pipes 2x
Weapon Repair Kit 1x
7 Zombies
The Medic
First Aid Kits 2x
Bandages 5x
Cloth 6x
Purified Water 2x
Saline 2x
7 Zombies

The Demolition Man
IED 2x
Lighter 1x
Landmine 1x
Flares 2x
Smoke Flare 2x
Ethonol 1x
7 Zombies

The Builder
Nails 20x
Furnace 1x
Logs 4x
Metal Bits 10x
Scrap Metal 10x
Wood Axe 1x
7 Zombies

The Farmer
Tamper 10x
Corn Seeds 10x
Wheat Seeds 10x
Fertilizer 10x
Purified Water 5x
7 Zombies

The Hiker
Motorcycle Helmet 1x
Military Backpack 1x
Goggles 1x
Binoculars 1x
Compass 1x
7 Zombies

12.5 % chance to call in one of these airdrops
Life of the Party
IED 5x
Swizzle 20x
Moonshine 15x
Flare 30x
7 Zombies

10.0% Chance to call in this airdrop

The Hobo
Shotgun 1x
Shells 12x
Moonshine 2x
Torch 1x
Twine 1x
Bear Sandwich 1x
7 Zombies

The Lone Wolf
Pistol 1x
Ammo.45 14x
Logs 2x
Wolf Sandwich 1x
Animal Trap 1x
Deer Bladder 2x
7 Zombies

FordGTGuy

Banned
http://www.h1z1crafting.com/ - some recipes may be wrong, but it's good enough.

There's a 10% chance to get a pistol or a shotgun. airdrops are loud, visible, and slow. There's no way to know exactly where the airdrop will deploy. The crates take around a minute to hit the ground once they do start falling.

Thanks a lot man, that's the best guide I've seen so far.

Sorry for another dumb question but is there a way to create and lock a base door?

I built a wooden raised foundation and a large shelter on top but I need a door.

Also if anyone on Hunger is playing you can come join me and my friend, we use teamspeak too.

HowZatOZ

Banned
They more than likely will change to having just cosmetics but keeping the airdrop idea as free. It works too well in causing server fights and tension so I hope they don't get rid of it. Just make it free and charge for panda suit outfits.

Saganator

I'm not really a fan of 'pay to use' type items in F2P games. It's a psychological thing for me. If I pay for and use an air drop or crate, I'm going to pretty annoyed if the drop either sucks or I get killed or do something stupid and waste it. If I get a get a good drop, I'll feel like I have to get the most out of it and play super cautiously and maybe have less fun. I'd rather just pay a bit more once a month for a "premium" mode, where I'm guaranteed a slow trickle of air drops and crates no matter what I do, allowing me to play a bit more freely and hopefully have more fun.

Sevenfold

I decided to do a loot search on a server I figured would be less populated. A first person, headshot only, recipe wipe one. I spawn near a gas station but get killed. Luckily when I respawn I'm near Cranberry (Which has zombies as it turns out). In rapid succession I find a axe, machette, some clothes, a little food, quite a few hammers in cars.

The things I noticed the most? Almost nothing comes from containers. The bulk of my haul is just sitting out in the world. The second is not a single scrap metal from a car and no sign of a crowbar (Despite finding all the other tools).

Pretty sure I had some success hitting a car with an axe.

Fordfx2

Anyone know how to downsample H1Z1?

My Nvidia experience software isn't showing it as a supported game.

It works, i had mine on but the menus and fonts were way too small, even the steam in-game browser was too small I had to change it.

You have to go into panel settings ( keep in mind if you have Nvidia surround enabled the DSR option doesnt show up) I had to tinker around and disable mine to figure that out...

Top Bottom