• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Karl2177

So I'm doing something that I haven't done before, and that is release a version of a map in a completely playable alpha state. It's all primitive blocks, slopes, and glass; plus the required gameplay items(weapons, grenades, spawns, objectives, barriers, et cetera). What I'm just looking for at this point in time is how the map flows. Do certain sightlines need to be changed? Would an area benefit from another "trick jump"? Do I need to more clearly define each team's base? I know some things are out of wack, like the lighting and a few pieces being off by part of a unit, but I'm not looking for those. I'm going to rebuild the map so the center of the map is at 0,0, as well as implement any changes from playtests.

Here's a picture to show a little bit of the map.
O1IeAZdl.jpg

I want to get a test group together sometime this weekend or next. So I'm gonna ask who has a map that they'd like looked or tested? Respond to this with map names and your gamertag, por favor.

BlackJet

So my friends and I recreated Outskirts from the Halo 2 campaign. It's still a work in progress but we have about 95% of the map finished. We set it up with the Infection game type in mind but hopefully we can configure it for 2v2 matches and such.

http://imgur.com/a/ohtAP

I took these shots late at night so I'm sorry about the HUD being in the way. I'm probably gonna add some more later and without the HUD.

So my friends and I recreated Outskirts from the Halo 2 campaign. It's still a work in progress but we have about 95% of the map finished. We set it up with the Infection game type in mind but hopefully we can configure it for 2v2 matches and such.

http://imgur.com/a/ohtAP

I took these shots late at night so I'm sorry about the HUD being in the way. I'm probably gonna add some more later and without the HUD.

I was playing Outskirts just last night. Awesome dude!

I'm way too excited about the new trees. In fact, it looks like a tree and two bushes!

Also, that tree looks a whole lot like the H2A MCC Forge tree. Same model?

Fuchsdh

Trees are excellent. More foliage options are good.

What I'd really like are some of those alien trees from the Flood swamp and High Charity.

I've been working on one map for what feels like forever because it keeps not saving my progress or crashing on me.

The other day I was saving every 10 min or so and after 2 hours i close the game. Next time I open it I realize none of it had saved! I really hope this stuff gets fixed because I quickly went from thinking it was the greatest gaming anything ever to never touching it.

Going to be interesting to see forge when all of the updates are said and done. Forge was a new beast entirely and it's only improving more. Viking and High Citadel blow my mind on what's possible.

Viking is wonderfully faithful, although sadly I think that doesn't make for as good a map as Valhalla was for Halo 3 in the current Halo meta. Still enjoyable though!

nillapuddin

guys, guys, guys

GUYS

time for me to be salty as fuck

that basketball game looked like decaying rotten fucking garbage
my forum salt ensures I will never be spotlighted lol

Edit: You might think, Jeeze nick, that was pretty immature of you to say that. Yeah, you're right. Apologies to guy who made it, I'm sure he put in alot of effort to make that. I won't edit my post cause I shouldn't have said it, but I won't act like I didn't.

Looking forward to tinkering with more plants and some rain.

Now I just need to read the bug-fixes, hopefully scripting spawns/despawns has been tidied up.

iFirez

I missed the stream, did they add palm trees so we can have a proper Ivory Tower?

Doesn't seem like it, like others have mentioned it looks like we've got more foliage (trees, ivy) and new weather effects built in. There are variants to all of the new objects like frozen ivy and stuff which is cool. They also said there's a shit ton of new sound effects in.

Images from the stream said:

Grabbed these for anyone who missed/can't watch the stream archive

* Forgot to mention they talked about vehicle blockers too, walls/shields that block vehicles but allow people on foot to walk through.

Homeboyd

Seriously.. other than new canvases and prefabs, what else is left for them to add that people have been asking for? French and co. are doing crazy good work and forge maps looking more and more like dev maps. Insane how far it has come since Halo 3.

Raide

Finally checked the notes. Great to see more foliage etc. Should make decorating maps a little easier. Also great to see some more objects to play with. Might revisit some of my older maps and see if they can be tweaked with foliage and weather!

NOKYARD

I'm thinking these Forge maps need more QC before they go into matchmaking.

Like when I get JIP into a match and this happens. And then I join another match and it happens, again.

There is no way we could have tested for how scripts would behave in a JiP MM setting. He fixed it by having a delete script run every 5 seconds.

Also. One Way Shields are destructible which makes them kinda useless for most scenarios.

Any suggestions for handling the glitch that causes changing skyboxes on Glacier to just get you stuck in an infinite loading loop alternating between the two screens? Lightmap budget is only at about 60%, by the way.

They broke the grouping function again! The grouped object becomes unselectable for the entire Forge session when I try to change the parent object. Anyone else experiencing this?

Top Bottom