• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

UkipdyH.jpg
I am currently on vacation and away from box, but it would appear some of my friends are not to fond of that map and starting weapon combo

Hey everyone,
We've been keeping an eye on feedback on maps process for quite some time, including stuff dating back many years. The Forge, Multiplayer, and Community teams are working together to determine the best ways to heavily adjust processes and restructure moving forward, beginning with the next upcoming community map submission period, which will focus on grabbing some new Infection maps for consideration. Look forward to a Waypoint submission thread next week. Thanks for all of the feedback and thoughts thusfar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4dy10i/the_truth_behind_the_community_cartographers_lies/

How are we supposed to make Infection maps without the gametype?

Also, I really hope those automated turret things from Halo 4 make a return in Forge with Memories of Reach.

Raide

How are we supposed to make Infection maps without the gametype?

Also, I really hope those automated turret things from Halo 4 make a return in Forge with Memories of Reach.

You have to imagine what it would be like to run around playing Infection and then make a map.

I have a few maps that might be fun using Infection but I might tweak them with the weather etc to make them a bit more dark.

You have to imagine what it would be like to run around playing Infection and then make a map.

I have a few maps that might be fun using Infection but I might tweak them with the weather etc to make them a bit more dark.

The problem is that we have nothing to use to gauge the player traits for the zombies, which is pretty important in the grand scheme of map-pathing.

Seriously.. other than new canvases and prefabs, what else is left for them to add that people have been asking for? French and co. are doing crazy good work and forge maps looking more and more like dev maps. Insane how far it has come since Halo 3.

I think the big one is onject scaling but I doubt it's possible.

We could certainly get more aesthtic items like the ivy.

As for canvases and items

Jungle + matching foliage
City scape (think a blank canvas and the surroundings of crater from odst)
Covenant
Halo ring
Beach?

I think the big one is onject scaling but I doubt it's possible.

We could certainly get more aesthtic items like the ivy.

As for canvases and items

Jungle + matching foliage
City scape (think a blank canvas and the surroundings of crater from odst)
Covenant
Halo ring
Beach?

I'm hoping Memories of Reach gives us 3 new canvases:
1. New Alexandria
2. Canvas with Covenant fleet stationed in the air surrounding the canvas, possibly battling UNSC ships
3. Canvas with a few Covenant ships glassing stuff off in the distance

I mean hell, the Sunrise canvas for Glacier is basically the skybox for Highlands without the glassing to begin with.

Raide

I need a large water canvas for my next map idea. Either a remake of forge world or a port of awash would be good.

It would be nice to have water that does not kill you if you crouch down more than 1 foot.

Water volumes would be a great idea but I don't think Spartans are supposed to survive under water. :D

JDB

Banned
Halo 5 doesn't really support water well. There are some spots in the campaign where you can crouch under the water and it has no effects at all and the water just kinda disappears.

It would be nice to have water that does not kill you if you crouch down more than 1 foot.

Water volumes would be a great idea but I don't think Spartans are supposed to survive under water. :D

Halo 5 doesn't really support water well. There are some spots in the campaign where you can crouch under the water and it has no effects at all and the water just kinda disappears.

Yeah, they've gone on record saying there aren't actually any physics at all tied to water environments, but even so I'm sure they could fudge something by adding water volumes that either have physics or don't.

As a superficial Forge dabbler, I'd love more aesthetic tools: water volumes, more foliage (the additions are great, but my appetite is voracious!), more decals, more lighting, more effects.

And yes, more Covie items.

Edit: and I'd LOVE 1-sided gametypes to come back. I have a stupidly ambitious map on the backburner that needs either strange workarounds or the implementation of 1-sided games.

As infection is the next CC task, I had a really cool idea. Originally was going to remake Barts Manor, but as my co-forger (KingBartlett from back in the day) is no longer hugely interested in Forge, I'm going a different route and it's very unique.

:)

Raide

I like the weather stuff but it should be weather volumes, not just map options. Feels dumb having in rain inside lol.

TCKaos

Whenever I try to change the time of day on Glacier I get stuck in an infinite cycle of loading screens and I have to force-quit the game. Has this happened to anyone else?

Whenever I try to change the time of day on Glacier I get stuck in an infinite cycle of loading screens and I have to force-quit the game. Has this happened to anyone else?

I actually asked this a page or two ago and haven't tried it, but apparently a solution is to do it with two players. The host will permanently be stuck in the loading cycle, but it'll eventually change the map for player two, so you just have them save a variant of it and then load their version up.

Recommended?!?

Didn't you hear i have a special 343i branded Xbox Elite Elite Elite Controller with a 5th "Upload map directly to Matchmaking" paddle.

I knew it was this easy. I always told 343 to just flip the switch and put it in matchmaking. 343 implied it was more complicated than that, well apparently it's a paddle and not a switch.

nillapuddin

Recommended?!?

Didn't you hear i have a special 343i branded Xbox Elite Elite Elite Controller with a 5th "Upload map directly to Matchmaking" paddle.

dude, jeeze, I cant believe you said it on here, I guess your NDA is up?

I know you told me about it but I swore to secrecy, I was trying to keep up appearances,

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cross-posting from Waypoint.

Head over there if you want to submit a map for Infection. Needs to submitted ASAP.

Two deadlines:

• Launch (maps considered for the launch of the playlist): Sunday evening - needs to be ready for Monday morning 17th/18th April
  • First Update: Next Sunday - essentially one week out from the launch deadline 24th/25th April

Note: Submission deadlines are not reflective of playlist launch dates.

Cartographers said:
The first is for maps for the initial release of the playlist, the second date is for those that could be added shortly after the playlist is added. The dates come as is and we are just the messengers. Good luck everyone and please help each other out in testing with the honor rules gametypes that can be found in the files of PA1NTS or REMkings. Expect 12 man lobbies for infection for sizing.

Ideally you get these maps visible prior to those dates as ideally the Cartographers need the chance to test them and proof them for any minor details that need changing. Keep in mind, submitting a map does not guarantee its inclusion just that it will be seen.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ng/bf70455d-4a4a-4117-9480-7afb3805a509/posts

The Community Cartographers are collecting Infection maps to be added to Halo 5's matchmaking playlist. While we don't have any dates to share, we know that 343 is intent on creating a playlist for this gametype shortly. We recommend that you submit your map to as many website platforms as possible to ensure that your map receives the recognition and attention it deserves.

SUBMIT YOUR INFECTION MAP

You will be able to submit your infection maps on Halo Waypoint and other Halo community websites. When we create submission threads for each site we will update this thread with the proper destination links.

When your infection map is complete and you are choosing to submit it to HaloWaypoint, please provide the following map information and use this thread for your submissions.

Below you will find the proper format to follow when submitting your maps, please copy and paste the provided structure verbatim into your posts. Failure to include portions of your submission may result in your map not being reviewed, please make sure to include everything that is not listed under the Optional section. For screenshots, you are free to embed them in your post, but please include a link to the screenshot on XboxDVR.com as well, so that I can download the original file at full resolution. For videos, please try to keep your video under two minutes, if possible.

• Map Name:
  • Author(s):
  • Gametype: (“Infection”, “Hivemind”, or create one of your own)
  • Map Description: (at most 1-2 sentences)
  • Screenshot: (XboxDVR link)
  • (Optional) Video: (XboxDVR or YouTube link)

As you may have seen in the recent Reddit thread, The Truth Behind the Cartographers, we will be implementing a new map submission system on waypoint in the near future.

Bravo said:
"We've been keeping an eye on feedback on maps process for quite some time, including stuff dating back many years. The Forge, Multiplayer, and Community teams are working together to determine the best ways to heavily adjust processes and restructure moving forward, beginning with the next upcoming community map submission period, which will focus on grabbing some new Infection maps for consideration. Look forward to a Waypoint submission thread next week. Thanks for all of the feedback and thoughts thusfar."

GAMETYPE DETAILS

• 12 Players
  • All classic or previously existing infection game modes such as 'Infection', 'Hivemind', 'Braaains', etc.
  • Create your own custom gametype variant via custom menu options and test with your friends using honor rules.

BE AVAILABLE FOR FEEDBACK

After your infection map is submitted, it will be reviewed by the Community Cartographers. They will be meticulous in looking for any map issues that will impact gameplay: player containment, incorrect spawn points, misplaced kill barriers, unruly geometry, etc.

If any revisions are required, the Cartographers will contact the map’s creator with feedback. Maps that are not properly contained with kill boundaries or suffer from performance issues won’t be considered for matchmaking.

As always, 343 Industries has the final say in everything that goes into matchmaking and when the playlist is updated. The Community Cartographers will make recommendations, but 343 Industries will make the final call.

Finally, if your map does not make this first matchmaking implementation round, please still complete it and submit it in this thread so that we can update the playlist in the near future.

Zoolader

I didn't realize the update for forge is already out. I'm gonna finish my map this weekend if anybody wants to join and help out.

FyreWulff

I'm guessing just specific blocks with different textures, but I'll gladly be surprised if it's actually some sort of texture system.

It's totally possible to allow switchable textures that appear to have 3D elements on them. The Sandbox blocks in Halo 3 for example look rocky and craggled but they're actually perfectly even sided rectangular cubes

hooray for shaders and parallax mapping

Raide

Texture options would be godlike. Would be a massive shift for Forge.

Stone, metal, weathered metals etc would be a great addition. Some textures to fit into the new foliage options as well. Maybe some ice blocks etc.

JDB

Banned
Would be cool if they could somehow applied the ground texture system to other blocks with different textures.

So with the new weather and nature options with the last update, I wanted to create a jungle/swamp playspace. When the Cartographers announced the Infection Playlist was imminent, I figured I may as well make something for it.

The map is relatively small, but to give the impression of being "lost" in a confusing misty swamp, there are 4 junctions that look like they might be a way out, but merely teleport you elsewhere in the map. (the teleporters are set to random within timed kill zones to prevent camping.)

The Lore behind the map is that Foehammer did indeed go down with her faithful Pelican, but survived...although not for long. The Flood took her, but you may find some weapons you could use to stop them from consuming your biomass along with her.

Video of it in action - https://youtu.be/YnacaIJKkRw

Top Bottom