• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

Raide

So with the new weather and nature options with the last update, I wanted to create a jungle/swamp playspace. When the Cartographers announced the Infection Playlist was imminent, I figured I may as well make something for it.

The map is relatively small, but to give the impression of being "lost" in a confusing misty swamp, there are 4 junctions that look like they might be a way out, but merely teleport you elsewhere in the map. (the teleporters are set to random within timed kill zones to prevent camping.)

The Lore behind the map is that Foehammer did indeed go down with her faithful Pelican, but survived...although not for long. The Flood took her, but you may find some weapons you could use to stop them from consuming your biomass along with her.

Loving the atmosphere. The new additions have really helped to flesh out maps. Would love to see your map with a much darker setting though, just to ramp up the fear factor. :p Maybe having some strobing lights etc around, just to help a touch with navigation.

Loving the atmosphere. The new additions have really helped to flesh out maps. Would love to see your map with a much darker setting though, just to ramp up the fear factor. :p Maybe having some strobing lights etc around, just to help a touch with navigation.

Yeah, I really wanted it to be at night, but Alpine has no "night" setting, and I wanted there to be real water, so such is life.

There are 4 pulsing beacons for the exit/entry teleporters around the map, but the distance between them is pretty large, so you don't see them to easily sadly.

Realise I forgot to add the video I knocked together to my original post - https://youtu.be/YnacaIJKkRw

Raide

Yeah, I really wanted it to be at night, but Alpine has no "night" setting, and I wanted there to be real water, so such is life.

There are 4 pulsing beacons for the exit/entry teleporters around the map, but the distance between them is pretty large, so you don't see them to easily sadly.

I remember seeing a video about night alpine options but it might mess with your current options too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNEcikDXlK8

As for the lights, you could have some ground objects with lights that show some kind of path I guess but part of the fun might actually being utterly lost. :D

I like the idea that people head to lit areas because they think they are safe but that's not really true. :D

So with the new weather and nature options with the last update, I wanted to create a jungle/swamp playspace. When the Cartographers announced the Infection Playlist was imminent, I figured I may as well make something for it.

The map is relatively small, but to give the impression of being "lost" in a confusing misty swamp, there are 4 junctions that look like they might be a way out, but merely teleport you elsewhere in the map. (the teleporters are set to random within timed kill zones to prevent camping.)

The Lore behind the map is that Foehammer did indeed go down with her faithful Pelican, but survived...although not for long. The Flood took her, but you may find some weapons you could use to stop them from consuming your biomass along with her.

That looks great.

I should really get into Forge, any good tutorial videos I can get a link to?

Edit: Just checked OP and of course they're right there.

NOKYARD

A player should never see a timed kill volume in normal game play (flying vehicles are an exception). Try to figure out another way to prevent telecamping.

A player should never see a timed kill volume in normal game play (flying vehicles are an exception). Try to figure out another way to prevent telecamping.

I did wonder, but considered it the best solution for matchmaking purposes. I'm open to suggestions if you have any!

Video of it in action - https://youtu.be/YnacaIJKkRw

Wouldn't the POA detonating have killed Foehammer?

Karl2177

Next Saturday I'm running some Forge maps instead of Warzone Saturday. I'm gonna put together a list of maps that are ready for playtesting/release on Friday. I want to make sure I get as many maps from here as I can, so post your GT and the maps por favor.

Raide

Next Saturday I'm running some Forge maps instead of Warzone Saturday. I'm gonna put together a list of maps that are ready for playtesting/release on Friday. I want to make sure I get as many maps from here as I can, so post your GT and the maps por favor.

Do you have a particular requirement for map size/player count/game mode etc?

Mancanon on exit? I would have to look.

Has this been submitted for the Infection playlist yet?

Yes - I've edited them now - a player will ONLY see the soft kill zone if they deliberately move back into the teleporter point to camp. Otherwise, you'll never see the countdown. :) Hope that's more acceptable.

Wouldn't the POA detonating have killed Foehammer?

Shhhhh. It's...erm...classified.

If it's in the evening, I can be online to assist of needed.

Raide

Thinking about making/remaking an old map for Infection...but I really don't know what is best for the Infection gametype. What are people looking for in an Infection styled map?

jem0208

Okay, I think I've found a pretty massive bug.

When trying to change the parent object of a group the game loses connection to the server and kicks you from forge, happened to me twice now.

Raide

I'm taking everything. Sometimes there are 12 players, sometimes there's 4. What actually gets played wil depend on how many people there are.

I have a bit of both. :D I have 1 or 2 BTB mapa that I have no idea what direction I should take it and I have a few 4v4 maps with the same problem.

I tend to keep making maps, like what they look like and then move on. :D I get easily distracted when shiny new objects appear.

Glass

What was the turnaround time for the Grifball maps being sourced from the community and then getting added into the game? Are these Infection maps likely to ship with the Reach update if its mid Mayish?

What was the turnaround time for the Grifball maps being sourced from the community and then getting added into the game? Are these Infection maps likely to ship with the Reach update if its mid Mayish?

From what I hear, yes, the initial selection will feature maps from the community along with dev forge variants. Hence why they've given a deadline for entry (which I think is now April 23rd?)

I'm sure Nokyard will come in to clarify at some point :)

NOKYARD

Grifball courts took about a week to test after submission.

I assume Infection maps will go live with the next update. There are a few great candidates so far.

Raide

What's the normal player count for Infection? Wondering how big/small a map should be so it makes infection actually fun to play.

Raide

12, iirc. As per H5G matchmaking standards, anyway.

Hrmmm...

Still trying to figure out in my head what will make a fun Infection map. I think I should have played the mode a bit more previously. I guess its a little late now to start working on anything for submission, so I might have to wait till they next type is being hunted for.

Hrmmm...

Still trying to figure out in my head what will make a fun Infection map. I think I should have played the mode a bit more previously. I guess its a little late now to start working on anything for submission, so I might have to wait till they next type is being hunted for.

It's pretty hard to say within Halo 5's constraints, considering this is the first truly asymmetrical gametype it's getting since launch. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Raide

It's pretty hard to say within Halo 5's constraints, considering this is the first truly asymmetrical gametype it's getting since launch. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Trying to wrap my head around making a map which has different weapon sets against each other but where the shift goes from ranged to melee as the rounds progress.

So pretty... Did they upgrade or patch the lighting system?

2p9CYBv.png

TheOddOne

I'm new to Forge and just started messing around with it. Really happy to see I could get so much done with the current version of Forge.
Mostly doing blocking for testing, so that is why it looks so barren.

GG Forge Team!

I pictured the Didact saying, "Fuck it!" with a wave of the hand and laughed.

"So it... turns humans into data?"
"To fuel my Prometheans, yes."
"...why?"
"What do you mean?"
"Couldn't they just use algorithms and cloud-source stuff from the Domain?"
"...I-"
"I mean, we have AI-controlled ships that can rend space and time to obliterate enemy fleets in minutes. What's the point of using humans?"
"One more crack like that and getting you transferred to sanitation, Holes-of-Tenuous-Plotlines-Come-to-Light.

It's cool that you can see the amount of bookmarks of your own files in the new file browser. I can also see people bookmarked my unfinished/WIP stuff, why.....

Very nice but you can't search by term screenshots and videos, only by gamertag which doesn't make too much sense.

Also, checking your game history will only let you bookmark the match's film but not the map, it should let you bookmark it! xD

nillapuddin

Well, I now know exactly how irrelevant I've become

aqmYZym.png

I used to be happy with tens of thousands of dl's : (

My co-forge with Mega has most dl's, and in second place 'Double Turf'

An unfinished Longshore has nearly as much as ones I finished and promoted in first month : /

GUYS, DOWNLOAD SMASHBASKETBALL and Misriah Center, seriously, its fun as hell.
Nok even said hes working on getting it its own playlist no he didnt :'(

Also super glad a ton of Dl's went to wip maps I dont even know what are off hand

N1fVHxF.png

Maybe in the next file system we can have map trees so you could just subscribe to the map project and get updates as the map is updated

Foundation-> fd1.0, fd1.5,
Decent Map->dcm0000.1->dcm0000.2, etc

FyreWulff

Map downloads tanked since Halo 4 due to not great discovery tools and connectivity lost in Reach and never regained. Nok tested a map stat track/link shortener I made back in the H4 era and even one of his maps did really low numbers. Add in the Xbox One not selling that much...

File sharing is good imo, seems to work nice and straight-forward like.

Halo 5 probably has smaller numbers than previous Halos, but there are still tens upon tens of thousands of players, according to arena playlist rankings. It's more discoverability, which should improve a bit now.

File sharing is good imo, seems to work nice and straight-forward like.

Halo 5 probably has smaller numbers than previous Halos, but there are still tens upon tens of thousands of players, according to arena playlist rankings. It's more discoverability, which should improve a bit now.

An ingame file browser is needed, it worries me a bit the current web file browser lacks features bungie.net had seven years ago. We should be able to attach gametypes to map files, screenshots too. Didn't tom french said they were working on thumbnails for maps?

JDB

Banned
An ingame file browser is needed, it worries me a bit the current web file browser lacks features bungie.net had seven years ago. We should be able to attach gametypes to map files, screenshots too. Didn't tom french said they were working on thumbnails for maps?
Yeah, 343 still playing catch-up with Bungie after 5 or so years is kind of sad.

Top Bottom