• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge |OT| Plan, Build, Share

nillapuddin

its coming along, quote 4 pic

"Generating Lighting..." is the new " ... Resuming ... " (WP users know)
takes around 5:30-6 minutes

One thing that Im not sure gets enough attention, is something that is quickly moving to the top of my annoyance list

Object types dont take colors the same way

a White building block, a White triangle, a White bridge, all look entirely different.

I really really dont understand why, and it kills me.

Also, I wish every object was completely featureless like the Simple blocks, hopefully that can be a toggle in the future

Akai__

Damn, I thought they would add all the remaining letters as Decals with this update. A-D is not enough.

Also, Tidal is so buggy:

- You spawn an object, move it a little and you just end up being dead and thrown into the ocean.
- Spawned some Flat Terrain on top of the water and when I walk over it, it plays water splash sounds.
- Duplicating multiple objects that are lined up in a shape results into those objects being duplicated, but being all over the place.
- Not really a bug, but I hate that you can't Forge a little more inside the water.

its coming along, quote 4 pic

Woah. Looks nice so far.

nillapuddin

guess its far enough along to show for real for real

mAXQvNwh.png

I'm almost completely hands-off from everything that's visible in the image, however, everything on albatross side is so freaking complex, my confidence is waning... : /

The landscaping looks very convincing! Are you considering changing the skybox when you're done? I think the stormy setting would look real neat.

nillapuddin

The landscaping looks very convincing! Are you considering changing the skybox when you're done? I think the stormy setting would look real neat.

Appreciate it, in terms of changing skybox, yeah everything will be up for alteration.

The stormy relic has already been done with remnant, but I'm open to it.

It's like this atm because, clear skies with white pieces are the easiest to forge with

That Relic remake looks great! I must say that I find myself more excited for slightly remixed versions of classic maps (as opposed to 1:1 remakes) because as amazing a remake as Viking is, playing CTF on it (on H5) is generally a miserable experience for me. I would love versions of the classics that allow for greater use of Spartan abilities, and are built with H5's weapon sandbox in mind.

nillapuddin

That Relic remake looks great! I must say that I find myself more excited for slightly remixed versions of classic maps (as opposed to 1:1 remakes) because as amazing a remake as Viking is, playing CTF on it (on H5) is generally a miserable experience for me. I would love versions of the classics that allow for greater use of Spartan abilities, and are built with H5's weapon sandbox in mind.

Valhalla doesnt work in Halo 5, because the guns do.

Same thing with Standoff.

The Halo 3 BR is what made those maps work, in Halo 5, every gun is a hit scan laser pointer in HD so its a completely different slaying experience.

As for armor abilities, I always take that into consideration, I dont want to hinder player movement by making just out of reach ledges just because you couldnt clamber before.

Karl2177

Valhalla doesnt work in Halo 5, because the guns do.

Same thing with Standoff.

The Halo 3 BR is what made those maps work, in Halo 5, every gun is a hit scan laser pointer in HD so its a completely different slaying experience.

As for armor abilities, I always take that into consideration, I dont want to hinder player movement by making just out of reach ledges just because you couldnt clamber before.

This is the biggest takeaway I've had since Reach and Halo 4. Back then you always had to Forge ledges around players that didn't have Jetpack or jumps around players that didn't have Sprint or Jetpack. It's back to the style of Halo 3 Forge where if you think a player should be able to jump up there, you might as well let the player jump up there. It's great having tools that aren't cumbersome though. :)

A long, long time ago I wanted a more accurate version of the BR on Valhalla. Then the DMR happened, followed by the Light Rifle. I don't want that anymore. My future BTB maps will be designed around BRs. Is this the right way to go about it?

FyreWulff

A long, long time ago I wanted a more accurate version of the BR on Valhalla. Then the DMR happened, followed by the Light Rifle. I don't want that anymore. My future BTB maps will be designed around BRs. Is this the right way to go about it?

You'll have to account for the longest range precision rifle in your design, which is why Valhalla didn't work out for Halo 4. The best you can do is make walls or other scenery constraints that pull all encounters down to BR range.

nillapuddin

phew long day

geo-complete, hype

ZA06xmX.gif

Now I have to place all the mechanicals ofcourse, aswell as finalizing the skybox and colors

its really freaking annoying that it takes 6 minutes everytime I generate lighting...

BTB needs Pistol starts.

no lies detected

nillapuddin

welp, just lost 2ish hours of progress, thanks game.

it wouldnt save or save as, all week I've constantly been getting profile error popups, but I could still save, now the servers pooped themselves. So glad that a server is required to save my forge map, god forbid I forged offline, or saved a local copy.

it wouldnt save or save as, all week I've constantly been getting profile error popups, but I could still save, now the servers pooped themselves. So glad that a server is required to save my forge map, god forbid I forged offline, or saved a local copy.

Everyone is getting profile sync errors it seems, when I played co-op campaign with a couple friends they kept popping up for all of us.

phew long day

geo-complete, hype

ZA06xmX.gif

Now I have to place all the mechanicals ofcourse, aswell as finalizing the skybox and colors

its really freaking annoying that it takes 6 minutes everytime I generate lighting...

Wow, this is looking fantastic!

How about the 'paradise' skybox, and maybe some mild usage of orange/yellow/red distant fog to hit the slightly weathered and warmer look of the original?

Karl2177

Is there someone who can help me with some lighting issues I've been having or is there a good lighting resource out there?

nillapuddin

Everyone is getting profile sync errors it seems, when I played co-op campaign with a couple friends they kept popping up for all of us.

jeeze, its getting ridiculous. Now this crap

EOgaXHG.png

thank goodness I had literally just saved since I was done with all the weapons.

Wow, this is looking fantastic!

How about the 'paradise' skybox, and maybe some mild usage of orange/yellow/red distant fog to hit the slightly weathered and warmer look of the original?

thanks dude

tbh I havent even seen it on other skyboxes yet, I set it to stormy this morning, and it took almost 9 minutes to render, so Im just gunna wait til Im done with everything and then like save 4 versions so I can mess with colors and skybox independently without this insane render time.

edit: yeah I just tried to set it to paradise, after 7 minutes I timed out of my own session. no more skybox changes.

Is there someone who can help me with some lighting issues I've been having or is there a good lighting resource out there?

whats got ya hung up?

nillapuddin

I cant give advice on lighting because I flat out dont understand

Every single object that forms the center structure is "white" with zero metallic properties

yet they all look freakin differerent, Ive done 100% no light baking, 100% light baking, Mix & Match light bake, no matter what I do I cannot get it to look consistent.

UyEadIH.jpg

At this point I dont think I really even understand what turning the light bake off on an object even does. Before launch I thought it would mean that the object would be 100% unaffected by natural lighting, but cleary thats not the case

The way I fake consistency on Rats Nest for example, was I have a handful of invisible lights pumping out light over every inch of the map (usually at like 50% gray) so that all the pieces are lit evenly, but that wouldnt work in this application because the lights dont show up when you are 100+ meters away or whatever

I can play two rounds of Overwatch while my light bakes.
And I do.

Trying to get even lighting has been a big problem. Maybe they should give us an option to have all objects have the same baked brightness, but not the same shadows.

nillapuddin

well, one of my top 5 favorite shit that happens to nilla has come back

1xDkK9B.gif

the classic, vehicle somehow set its home location to underwater so it infinitely explodes the millisecond it spawns so it has become unselectable and my map will forever be plagued by the god damn explosions sounds.

why does the water have to be a hard coded kill barrier, why. Ive already lost a couple gigantic rock pieces under the ocean floor I can never get back, now this this shit.

Karl2177

whats got ya hung up?

I had a part of my map that if I used a light, the framerate tanked. If I didn't use a light, it looked like crap. I ended up finding a way to replace the 5 pieces I had with 3 and it fixed it. Now the only things I have left on it is spawns, cinematics, and named locations.

Now on my other map, I have to redo all the lights since the Memories of Reach update.

Were any of the technical problems fixed? I remember because of disconnections and my pieces not lining up no matter what or my game just crashing and kicking me off forge I stopped forging. Any of this at least maybe made better?

FyreWulff

They really should disable all kill volumes and barriers while in Forge

Just throw up a text warning on the screen saying "You are currently in a kill zone and players will die here if you put stuff here"

nillapuddin

I had a part of my map that if I used a light, the framerate tanked. If I didn't use a light, it looked like crap. I ended up finding a way to replace the 5 pieces I had with 3 and it fixed it. Now the only things I have left on it is spawns, cinematics, and named locations.

Now on my other map, I have to redo all the lights since the Memories of Reach update.

ahh, well atleast you got around it

Were any of the technical problems fixed? I remember because of disconnections and my pieces not lining up no matter what or my game just crashing and kicking me off forge I stopped forging. Any of this at least maybe made better?

Yes and No

Tidal seems to be a cluster ATM, and pieces still move. If you like to forge like I do, and keep everything on solid number coordinates, you will be disappointed.

Set a piece to 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 with no rotation, and I sware if you save and quit it will be like 0.1, 0.0, -0.9 and slightly rotated. It happens to every single object and Ive found no way around it.

Just throw up a text warning on the screen saying "You are currently in a kill zone and players will die here if you put stuff here"

100%

Forge monitor should have a no clip/no death option.
All these hard kill barriers everywhere is ridiculous.

the classic, vehicle somehow set its home location to underwater so it infinitely explodes the millisecond it spawns so it has become unselectable and my map will forever be plagued by the god damn explosions sounds.

why does the water have to be a hard coded kill barrier, why. Ive already lost a couple gigantic rock pieces under the ocean floor I can never get back, now this this shit.

Can you place another hog on the map and then delete all of that item?

nillapuddin

wait... so maps made on tidal cannot be loaded in custom games?

just stared at a black screen for 15 minutes and the game crashed... jimminy christmas.

JDB

Banned

1xDkK9B.gif

Have you tried covering that entire area with objects? Maybe it'll spawn on top above the water.

Akai__

Not really one of my liked maps, but good job Nilla. Shame that Tidal has that Lighting and Custom Game bug.

So much this. I'd love if they would actually allow to Forge inside the water a little, but the water just disappears once you are inside it and you end up seeing the map from underneath.

I wonder, if we will ever get real water, which you can place on maps and which has collision with objects.

FyreWulff

I wonder, if we will ever get real water, which you can place on maps and which has collision with objects.

I think it legit got dropped for performance reasons. Even Reach dropped the tesselation LOD significantly, and 4 removed it entirely. I think someone in this thread even discovered that the MCC version of 4 was even missing the simulated bullet splashes or something?

Was one of those things they went crazy with for Halo 3 but just never went anywhere. Water sim IS pretty computationally expensive because you're simulating fluid dynamics. If you had a fully optimized model for that you could predict real world weather out 4 months in advance, nobody would be sitting on that tech for a videogame lol

1xDkK9B.gif

Crazy thought but why not go message/tweet Tom French about it? maybe he would be able to give you some advice on how to get those objects out of the unreachable kill zones.

Karl2177

Who wants to help me with a BTB map? I have the terrain down, although I might change it now that the Tidal pieces are out. I just need help coming up with a cool base design.

ULFQ4QU.png

One thing that I want to incorporate is a Wasp. I want to see how they work on standard maps also.

nillapuddin

Crazy thought but why not go message/tweet Tom French about it? maybe he would be able to give you some advice on how to get those objects out of the unreachable kill zones.

yeah, ive tried that. i never get retweeted but im sure im just lost in the shuffle

Have you tried covering that entire area with objects? Maybe it'll spawn on top above the water.

After 3 attempts that worked! it kept exploding anyways but then it ended up being forced back to a random place on the beach! good idea

Who wants to help me with a BTB map? I have the terrain down, although I might change it now that the Tidal pieces are out. I just need help coming up with a cool base design.

ULFQ4QU.png

One thing that I want to incorporate is a Wasp. I want to see how they work on standard maps also.

Cool idea, and yeah I swapped Scorpions for Wasps on Relic.

It fits a perfect niche because its not armored enough to dominate the battlefield, but just enough to make a good push

EDIT/UPDATE
3:00 PM 7/7
If somone is online can you come save me? My map wont save and I dont know when the last time I did, I havent done hardly anything, but I have done a lot of tiny things

gt: nillapuddin626

phew long day

geo-complete, hype

ZA06xmX.gif

no lies detected

Wait... When did they add geometry editing to Forge? It became a legit level and terrain editor!?

nillapuddin

what the fuck man, well, lost that 2 hours of spawn points, name volumes and terrain smoothing

Im about to just say fuck it and not forge anymore today, its getting ridiculous. servers constantly going down is insane.

It's going to be nice to play asymmetric game types on Relic-- Oh right, they don't exist for whatever inane reason.

100%.

Wait... When did they add geometry editing to Forge? It became a legit level and terrain editor!?

Since launch gnomie. Its not variable terrain, its preselectable objects, but they can be blended in a very believable and natural way.

nillapuddin

i cant wait for prefabs, Im just gunna move my entire maps with bugs and shit to new blank canvas'

a. if i delete all on my longshore remake it still has 63 objects glitched on it. fucking water.

guess Ill be the first to mention these textures..
jag9To4.png

prostrats

Top Bottom