• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

It's up, but it's in Dutch. I've got a review ready for the Halo lore thread, but it mostly focuses on the story and only briefly touches upon the gameplay.

Simply put, I think it tells a great story. Completely different in tone than what the marketing suggested. First half of the game gave me a legit ODST-vibe, as you're uncovering the mystery. Then everything kicks into overdrive. As I was watching the ending events unfurl, the feeling it gave me reminded me of the feeling I got at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Gameplay-wise the campaign it feels really close to what we got in Halo 3 and, more particularly, Halo 2. Some of the areas you encounter really look and feel like they were inspired by that game. Obviously you now have the ability to thrust, clamber and sprint, but this is the first time I've felt additions like this don't detract from the experience. These are not armor abilities you switch out, these are abilities you always have at your disposal and they feel great. Really add another new layer to the combat and the exploration. I've spent hours just climbing on top of structures, looking for audio logs and skulls.

<3

Cant wait to read your review for the lore thread, after I play the campaign myself.

Worst campaign in the series is an exaggeration in every sense of the word. Gotta love how everyone here is suddenly taking McCaffrey's word for it when the guy gave Halo 4 a 9.8 and then everyone flipped shit on him when they played it themselves.

Never change GAF.

Herbs

Banned
Worst campaign in the series is an exaggeration in every sense of the word. Gotta love how everyone here is suddenly taking McCaffrey's word for it when the guy gave Halo 4 a 9.8 and then everyone flipped shit on him when they played it themselves.

Never change GAF.

who's GAF?

Fat4all

Banned

Never change GAF.

There was concerns over the campaign from a few reviews well before the RM tweet was even brought up.

Never change, Junior.

statham

It's up, but it's in Dutch. I've got a review ready for the Halo lore thread, but it mostly focuses on the story and only briefly touches upon the gameplay.

Simply put, I think it tells a great story. Completely different in tone than what the marketing suggested. First half of the game gave me a legit ODST-vibe, as you're uncovering the mystery. Then everything kicks into overdrive. As I was watching the ending events unfurl, the feeling it gave me reminded me of the feeling I got at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Gameplay-wise the campaign it feels really close to what we got in Halo 3 and, more particularly, Halo 2. Some of the areas you encounter really look and feel like they were inspired by that game. Obviously you now have the ability to thrust, clamber and sprint, but this is the first time I've felt additions like this don't detract from the experience. These are not armor abilities you switch out, these are abilities you always have at your disposal and they feel great. Really add another new layer to the combat and the exploration. I've spent hours just climbing on top of structures, looking for audio logs and skulls.
Very nice.

TheOddOne

It's weird to me that Warzone, a mode that thrives on randomization and semi-perk systems, is seen as revolutionary. I guess low barrier to entry multiplayer modes always review well.

There is a lot of salt in this post, eh?

Skux

I'm gonna go out on a limb as guess that Ryan just really hates that

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Cortana is the big bad in this and he really liked the send off they gave to her in Halo 4. Only 3 missions where you play as Blue Team probably gave him an aneurysm as well.

*LEGIT SPOILERS here so don't give me lip if you read this*

Out of everything I've seen of this game worst campaign sounds like hyperbole but if those 2 things really get your blood boiling this I could see why you hate the campaign.

Wow, that makes no sense whatsoever. I can't imagine the ridiculous backflips the story will have to do to make that even plausible.

Fat4all

Banned
It's weird to me that Warzone, a mode that thrives on randomization and semi-perk systems, is seen as revolutionary. I guess low barrier to entry multiplayer modes always review well.

There is a lot of salt in this post, eh?

I mean, as long as it works as intended and is a lot of fun I don't mind whether or not people think it's 'revolutionary'.

AHA-Lambda

Probably the worst analogy ever, with all the decades of lore and storyelling around each character in the marvel movies, lol.

Actually it's pretty spot on, heck, it's kinda poignant as the MCU is starting to get kinda bloated and they're at risk of alienating people now.

d00d3n

Is it a good idea to play the Halo 5 campaign before experiencing the story in any of the previous Halo games? I played some of the original Halo, but that is it. I have already bought and pre-loaded Halo 5 on my xbone, but starting to doubt if it is a good idea to start with it.

Herbs

Banned
:3

Well, there are quite a few posters comparing the campaign to fecal-matter.

I had no idea some equates to everyone as he stated. interesting. seems like hyperbole abounds. typical review thread I guess.

Is it a good idea to play the Halo 5 campaign before experiencing the story in any of the previous Halo games? I played some of the original Halo, but that is it. I have already bought and pre-loaded Halo 5 on my xbone, but starting to doubt if it is a good idea to start with it.

Nah, the story seems to be mediocre. just read some recaps and then play it, it seems.

There was concerns over the campaign from a few reviews well before the RM tweet was even brought up.

Never change, Junior.

Implying the RM tweet isn't what most people are referencing due to him being a Halo nut. You'd think people would've learned to play a game for themselves after he gave Halo 4 a 9.8 and literally everybody disagreed with him after playing it.

Now are you going to continue with your snobby elitism while arguing semantics or are you going to actually address the argument?

Heartfyre

Great scores. Though it's a shame (from my perspective) that it's the multiplayer getting the lion's share of the praise. I can definitely see the metascore crawling upwards a bit once those reviews-in-progress are completed.

Fat4all

Banned
I had no idea some equates to everyone as he stated. interesting. seems like hyperbole abounds. typical review thread I guess.

Are you one of those 'literal' people from the Off-Topic side of the boards?

Now are you going to continue with your snobby elitism while arguing semantics or are you going to actually address the argument?

Oh hey, another one! And this one from the opposite end of the argument.

I'm making so many friends tonight.

J@hranimo

Banned
ITT we base our campaign reviews from ONE person who isn't the god of Halo reviews in the first place. If he did really give Halo 4 a 9.8/10 then lol. I'm not saying Halo 4 is bad I greatly enjoyed that game, but from what I've seen of Halo 5's campaign it looks to blow it out of the water.

With that said...Halo 5 looks fantastic and I really need to get a Xbox One for it by the end of this year. *Sigh* Enjoy the game when it's out guys.

Probably not since even after playing all the other Halo/s there will be a few things you're going to have to research on if you never read the books, like me. The easiest example I could give is why and how Chief's armor changes from H3 to H4. If you read one of the books, you understand how such change came to be given the nature of his armor.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ITT we base our campaign reviews from ONE person who isn't the god of Halo reviews in the first place. If he did really give Halo 4 a 9.8/10 then lol. I'm not saying Halo 4 is bad I greatly enjoyed that game, but from what I've seen of Halo 5's campaign it looks to blow it out of the water.

With that said...Halo 5 looks fantastic and I really need to get a Xbox One for it by the end of this year. *Sigh* Enjoy the game when it's out guys.
Not sure how this matters.

Herbs

Banned

who is the god of Halo reviews?

FeD.nL

Well it would certainly be interesting. You would obviously miss a lot of story points from the previous campaigns. But on the other hand an entire new cast of (playable) characters is introduced so it might be fun going in without having attachments to one particular character. I say go for it and then you can always revisit the older games at a later point.

I haven't played the game yet though.

ramparter

Banned
Calling a 95+ Metacritic average. Definitely gonna be the highest reviewed Xbox One/PS4 game to date. (Excluding GTA V, not sure if that counts. Since it's a late port of an incredible Xbox 360/PS3 game)

343 did the fanbase good. Incredible scores so far.

EDIT: I believed too hard. :(
Either the media have changed to better use the ratings scale or the games quality has declined because I think it's been a long time since we had a 95+ avg rated game and even the most anticipated AAA games end up below the 90.

odhiex

Good scores overall, I was expecting to be higher since it is Halo, but I think fans should be happy with it. I am not a Halo fan, I only played a couple times at my buddy's console.

Herbs

Banned
Hmmm, yeah, I guess it would be easy enough to just read up on this shit on wikipedia.

the story in Halo has never been a strongpoint for me so I don't see the need to experience it first hand. If you don't feel invested definitely just recap it and enjoy whatever is on offer in 5.

Fat4all

Banned
Either the media have changed to better use the ratings scale or the games quality has declined because I think it's been a long time since we had a 95+ avg rated game and even the most anticipated AAA games end up below the 90.

I dunno. It's easy to say that critics are expecting more, but who knows if that's actually true.

Wow, that makes no sense whatsoever. I can't imagine the ridiculous backflips the story will have to do to make that even plausible.

It makes sense, you just have to do way more theorizing and looking back at the previous installment then you should ever have to do for the story in a video game.

Kudos to the reviewers holding off scores till the mp has more players. Hell, even then it should take a few weeks to properly judge it (balancing, glitches, stability, etc). How are so many reviewers pulling mp scores out of their ass now? (Should should apply for other games as well obviously)

Top Bottom