• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Actually we have continued to say it takes 8-12 hours depending on difficulty- and when saying "twice as big" we're literally talking about level size , including vertical playable space. If you can find anyone saying 16-24 hours from 343 I would be shocked.

Halo 5: Guardians is going to be bigger in every way – including the length of its story-drive campaign mode.

Speaking to Gamesradar at gamescom 2015, 343 Industires said Halo 5’s campaign is twice as long as Halo 4’s was, taking in visits to Human, Covenant and Forerunner locations.

It’s a little disconcerting to hear that the developer had originally planned for an even longer story mode, but scaled it back.

I remember this floating around the H5 threads and never saw you correct it. A lot of us came away thinking it was almost double the size in campaign length.

Actually we have continued to say it takes 8-12 hours depending on difficulty- and when saying "twice as big" we're literally talking about level size , including vertical playable space. If you can find anyone saying 16-24 hours from 343 I would be shocked.
larry-david-stare-o.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but when there were some people worried about the emphasis on Locke around E3, didn't you guys kind of reassure us that there would be more of an equal use of the two dudes than we were assuming?

3 missions hardly seems equal or even close to it. I honestly don't care, I'm ready to move on from Chief, but many people do.

This is why I like Rotten Tomatoes. Its just positive reviews vs negative reviews. If we were using the Tomatometer it would be at 93% which is great. On the other hand, we whine about sites not using the full scale and I think this is why. People acting like 85 is a bad thing, we should reach a point where 85 is celebrated because that's a great game on most scales. Yet we wont tolerate anything less than 90? Why even have 1-100 if its really only 1-2 (1 being above/equal 90 and 2 being below)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-apparently-twice-size-halo-4-s-campaign-and-it-started-bigger/

How else is someone supposed to interpret that? I was very excited about the claim of it being twice the length of Halo 4 and was very vocal about it here on Gaf and other posters seemed to be excited about the prospect as well.

Maybe he misspoke or he remembered Halo 4's length being different than what it really was but there's really not that many ways to interpret what was said.

An 85 on metacritic simply isn't acceptable to me. It tells me that the story will be one of the worst in the series, and the MP can't pick up that slack. Better luck next time, 343.....

...I mean they're just opinions. Just as valid as anyone on this site or anywhere else. One reviewer not liking a game doesn't mean everyone else is going to be disappointed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The campaign is "twice is big" just like Chief is the "main character"

<3

This is why I hate talking about game length- it's really subjective, includes factors like style of play, sprint, vehicles and of course difficulty level.

My "rush" time on heroic solo is about 9 hours, which includes "explore attractive nuisance spots to see what's there" but zero, "explore every nook and cranny looking for skulls "

Basically if I saw a waterfall or a breakable wall, I'd check it out if I wasn't in a firefight- often looking for weapons or ammo.

My proper explore run is still ongoing but I might switch to legendary coop (retail) before continuing that.

Sucks to hear the the campaign is a let down, but multiplayer has always been my meat and potatoes when it comes to Halo.

I'll probably run through the campaign once on Heroic with 3 buddies, then get lost in Arena and Warzone for the next 6 months. :D

Vire

This is why I like Rotten Tomatoes. Its just positive reviews vs negative reviews. If we were using the Tomatometer it would be at 93% which is great. On the other hand, we whine about sites not using the full scale and I think this is why. People acting like 85 is a bad thing, we should reach a point where 85 is celebrated because that's a great game on most scales. Yet we wont tolerate anything less than 90? Why even have 1-100 if its really only 1-2 (1 being above/equal 90 and 2 being below)

If games were scored by the Rotten Tomatoes metric, everything would be 90%+ and that would not be useful. Movie critics also don't give a flying fuck about giving a movie a one star review and are generally more discerning.

Destiny got a 76, so nah, ten points higher. If you are referring to The Taken King, yes it's a much better game.
I was refering to TTK, which fixed a lot of mistakes of the vanilla game but still relies on that grinding design. Anyway, ambitious titles has more to live up to. Halo is one of the few games were excelency is expected in SP and MP.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Just to put more fuel in this fire, i'll give everyone a good'ol Ben Kuchera opinion piece:

Let's stop pretending Halo 5's story matters
Let's stop pretending Halo 5's story matters
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/26/9616468/halo-5-story-ending

Edit: Seriously, Kuchera is a f* genius. He is the master of creating useless opinion articles with the most baseless facts and assumptions, and then his articles generate countless clicks to the site where he is allowed to publish.

Just from memory we have:

"Why your opinion on Xbox DRM doesn't matter"
"Why Battlefront being good doesn't matter"
"Why Halo story doesn't matter"

It's incredibly evil and effective. I have to give him a nod.

holy christ seriously

that's short as hell

definitely waiting until it's $20. by that time, either the multiplayer scene will be dead as halo 4 or thriving. hopefully that will be a good time to jump in :)

Halo averages around 8 hours, so that number being two and a half hours off is enough to warrant buying the game for a third of the price in your mind?

I fail to follow the logic.

http://www.gamesradar.com/halo-5-apparently-twice-size-halo-4-s-campaign-and-it-started-bigger/

How else is someone supposed to interpret that? I was very excited about the claim of it being twice the length of Halo 4 and was very vocal about it here on Gaf and other posters seemed to be excited about the prospect as well.

Maybe he misspoke or he remembered Halo 4's length being different than what it really was but there's really not that many ways to interpret what was said.

I know the article quotes him saying twice as long but did he actually say that? Sometimes things get mixed up when paraphrasing

Wow that many people care about the length of the campaign? Multi is where it's at guys!

Not everyone plays the MP. Some of us still want a good campaign

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't get how people didn't understand Halo 4s story. I mean what, you never knew that the Halo universe had space magic that allowed alien wizards to "evolve" things at will like pokemon? Oh you thought that the humans in Halo were just a future versions of modern day humanity, and that that was clear by the fact that there were future versions of cities we know like Phoenix and Mombasa? Naw, they were actually super advanced thousands of years ago but got de-evolved by the alien space wizards. You thought the flood were just some super creepy alien parasite from some dark place In the universe? Naw just a bio-weapon made by some even more powerful space wizards than the normal space wizards we see in the game. I mean jeez, what is there to not get? It's so damned simple, just like Prometheus!

10/10 post.

On a related note, I don't really understand review threads like this where people bicker and complain over metacritic scores. I don't care so much about review scores than what they say about a game. A game can have a 10/10 review score, like MGSV, and severely disappoint me because the story is utter trash. However, to that game reviewer the gameplay mechanics meant more to them than the games narrative. With Halo 5 I was hoping for a decent SP campaign with a competent story, but based on what I've read from the reviews the story is still trash thus I won't be picking it up. Now, to someone that really loves a good multiplayer shooter Halo 5 is probably the best game coming out right now for them.

Metacritic isn't evil, slavishly being concerned about its number is everyone else fault.

If games were scored by the Rotten Tomatoes metric, everything would be 90%+ and that would not be useful. Movie critics also don't give a flying fuck about giving a movie a one star review and are generally more discerning.

Only if you base the positives/negatives on their score. Basing it on text would help a lot to make it closer to Rotten Tomatoes.

Wow that many people care about the length of the campaign? Multi is where it's at guys!

The weirdest thing about GAF is that it's sooo single player focused. That's always been a weird thing I've noticed since being here. I mean Halo 5 story is important but we're 40 pages in and almost no one is talking about the fact that this might be the best multi they've ever done. The best multi they've ever done in Halo? That's a headline.

Anth0ny

Halo averages around 8 hours, so that number being two and a half hours off is enough to warrant buying the game for a third of the price in your mind?

I fail to follow the logic.

it's not just that. it was 343 disappointing with halo 4 (MCC being a clusterfuck also didn't help) that changed me from "halo is an auto day 1 purchase" to "I'll wait for the reviews/price drop"

the single player being short as fuck pretty much seals the deal for me.

RyudBoy

MP is amazing, right? All that matters to me.

Now, let's hope I can actually play it in a few hours. Don't want a repeat of what happened with MCC.

Metacritic says otherwise, thus it is law.

Metacritic doesn't account for a lot of things. Its a summation of a lot of scores put together. It doesnt account for how hyped and overrated this game was back then cause of the MP and how long people waited for the game. Using that as a basis for how Bungie is "better" is ridiculous. Hype and MP created those reviews. After that, even Bungie couldnt live up to those expectations.

FStop7

Banned
An 85 MC doesn't mean much to me as a customer. But, given the huge investment in dev and marketing an 85 MC is probably not what 343 and Microsoft were hoping for.

I'll see for myself tonight when the game unlocks.

DJ88

Never really got hyped for this game anywhere near the level I have for previous games in the series. Everything that came out regarding the campaign just failed to grab me so I always had a feeling the story would be pretty weak. That seems to be the case in most of the reviews. Good to hear that MP is on point, but it's just not the main thing I come to Halo for.

Vire

This is why I hate talking about game length- it's really subjective, includes factors like style of play, sprint, vehicles and of course difficulty level.

My "rush" time on heroic solo is about 9 hours, which includes "explore attractive nuisance spots to see what's there" but zero, "explore every nook and cranny looking for skulls "

You forgot dying repeatedly to a small group of grunts.

It's all good, BlueNinja of HaloGAF said 8 hours on Heroic and that's about in line with my playtime for all the other Halos, so that's good enough for me. I just hope it's not less than that.

it's not just that. it was 343 disappointing with halo 4 (MCC being a clusterfuck also didn't help) that changed me from "halo is an auto day 1 purchase" to "I'll wait for the reviews/price drop"

Fair enough. Though most reviews have had nothing but praise for the campaign.

Shenmue

Banned
Also I kind of wish all games these days had a story that wrapped up in 5 hours or so. I know some people especially younger people want long single player modes, but man I just can't do things like the 40 hour RPGs anymore.

Guymelef

You know, a series with more novels than games and suddenly story doesn't matter.
Why not launch Halo Online outside Russia instead of Halo 5?

RowdyReverb

I wonder if the new Forge being available at launch would have bolstered reviews. There's going to be some really good community content coming from that.

Man, this just makes me worried about the shitstorm that will ensue if Uncharted 4 is to get anything below 90 on metacritic lol.

lol, it wont. Naughty Dog is a mature studio, working on a franchise they created, on a more powerful platform. I hate to even drae comparisons here because its truely apples to oranges but they have all the odds in their favor. They'll knock it outta the park again.

Cripshay

Banned

I guess you will find cheap copies of Halo 5 as soon as COD:BOP3 launches. The same happened with Halo 4.

Van Owen

Banned
I remember when Cortana just causally says "that Didact..." in Halo 4 like I was supposed to have any idea wtf a Didact was from the previous Halo games lol.

Personally, story or campaign length aside, the fact that I can't go over to my friend's house and play splitscreen co-op with him on Halo 5 is a big negative. I know this is a tiny issue for many people, but local co-op always defined my Halo experience.

Top Bottom