• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Achievement Hunter with a new spin on Reach - Bum Bait.

Basically, in MP, you and a friend (who has an instakill weapon preferably) work together. You stand still in a visible location, people will often go for the assassination, while your buddy waits very nearby (doorways work well) and kills the player as soon as they go for the assassination.

Unless he is in here sweating it out with the rest of us you would think something prompted that tweet.

Maybe, but its the kind of tweet people make all the time. Im sure people on HaloGaf have tweeted things along the lines of: "Just ship Halo 4 now", if anything the prediction of news itself could have been the prompt.

I hope this guy has some insider knowledge, simply because it means soon enough we will see something. Someone should message him and ask if his tweet was in response to seeing gameplay or not.

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-29%20at%203.48.38%20PM.png

CyReN

I can't say I noticed a difference in overall play, but that could be due to my typical play style. Loved BC being included, hated Penance.

I got rammed on that map so hard.

-----
Heads up MLG will have a special announcement will Halo tonight at 8pm est, then TheHaloCouncil will be on at 10pm est. A lot of (competitive) Halo stuff tonight!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I can't say I noticed a difference in overall play, but that could be due to my typical play style. Loved BC being included, hated Penance.

I'm curious to know if the double melee will be the style played with or people will switch to the 3 shot melee like the 2 shot melee in Halo 3. Adds another dynamic to CQC, I like it. I really wish these could be in matchmaking sooner :(

GhaleonEB

This is fun. We know something is going to give soon. We don't know when, or what, or how. Kid at Christmas syndrome in full effect right now.

Risen

I'm curious to know if the double melee will be the style played with or people will switch to the 3 shot melee like the 2 shot melee in Halo 3. Adds another dynamic to CQC, I like it. I really wish these could be in matchmaking sooner :(

With as fast as one can shoot, I'd think 3 shots and melee would be the way to go almost always. Particularly for fast thinkers who react and position themselves well...

It's official, you might be wrong!

Its official, armour abilities are so fun!

Its official, bloom is the best thing to happen to Halo!

Its official, nade spam on Halo is so good!

Its official, im ready for a The Cage remake on Halo 4!

Its official, Halo Reach is the premium FPS on the market!

Its official, England - Holland match is pretty dull!

Its official, Xand is lame!

Its official, Elzar plays with little boys!

Its official, I will stop this now!

I was tempted to go through and add 'Its official' to every single line of Over's first post, but thought it would just be a bit too much lol.

Overdoziz

Banned
Its official, Armour abilities are so fun!

Its official, bloom is the best thing to happen to Halo!

Its official, nade spam in Halo is so good!

Its official, Halo Reach is the premium FPS on the market!

I was tempted to go through and add 'Its official' to every single line of Over's first post, but thought it would just be a bit too much lol.
What I meant is that saying "It's official" implies that something just happened that convinced you about a certain thing.

It was speculation just like everything else in this thread right now haha. To me the way the tweet was worded seem like something happened to prompt it. I am sticking with he saw something!

What I meant is that saying "It's official" implies that something just happened that convinced you about a certain thing.

You and I are now officially Team Official.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So H4 is being shown today right? and we'll see the details on the 5th, hopefully sonner if it leaks?

i dont think Monday is a sure thing...

reposted

Forza Central's BADNED said:
Don't expect to here much from the event now. It is a closed press only event and not for the public. Pretty much everything shown there is under embargo. Some tiny stuff might leak, some stuff will be officially revealed on Monday to the public and the rest at a later time.

If you haven't read this interview of Corinne Yu, you might want to.
She is a principal engine programmer for Halo 4.

She sounds like a very well qualified individual.

The part interesting for any Halo fan is this:

I’ve noticed that a lot of consumers associate a game’s engine with the quality of graphics as if that’s all it’s good for. Can you explain how an engine will affect different kinds of game play?

What the data structures are, how the engine fetches data, computes, and renders, can matter just as much as what it renders, for example, lighting features. How the engine renders impact whether your game is forced to be enclosed corridors or whether you can deathmatch in a wide open world. It impacts whether your encounter is with only four co-op players at a time, or whether you co-op with a large number of players. It affects how many enemies you can fight at one time, and how dumb or smart, for example, how often are they left to think to fight against you. It impacts how dumb or smart your enemies can based on how much or how little of the world your enemy can consider and digest from what they can see and process. It impacts how strategically fair your enemies can be with whether occluded information is occluded from their attack plans. It is often possible to engineer a closed indoor corridor game with a lot of features, but this same engine would not be able to provide you the co-op or deathmatch experience in a wide open world. Not only does an engine affect game play, an engine’s implementation implies directly the different types of play possible by early engineering decisions pre-production.
http://www.girlgamer.com/zine/article/1685/

She talks a lot about wide open worlds and large amount of players in coop.
Now that doesn't necessarily mean this directly translates to Halo 4, but those aren't necessarily the most obvious things to talk about when discussing a game engine..
Unless of course you're working on a large scale, heavily coop game.
And we've already been told the Halo 4 campaign is going to have massive scale... It's not a huge assumption.

So let's take a moment and assume she is referring to her work on Halo 4 in that part.

More people in coop means more advanced netcode for coop modes (yayyyy!!), probably a refined version of Bungie's state/event system used in Reach multiplayer.
(http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014345/I-Shot-You-First-Networking)

That probably means a more unified networking architecture across the different modes.
ie) in Reach the coop campaign and firefight use a different networking system than the multiplayer networking in order to make sure the game looks the exact same in campaign for each player, to reinforce fidelity. It's constantly sends lots of data, which is why it lags often, even with less players than multiplayer. (plus there are a lot more entities in campaign that need synchronization).
Multiplayer in reach uses much more extrapolation to assume information rather than requiring it from the host.

ANYWAYS so if we assume Halo 4 will be using a more unified networking architecture between multiplayer and campaign modes, it means the two can translate more similar features.
As in... AI in multiplayer? (a requested feature since forge in halo 3!)

But hey, those are all assumptions, but it's still fun to guess!
After all she could just be answering the question asked to her.. but one can hope.

CyReN

zap

Trying to keep expectations low while everyone is posting tons of hyping material... is difficult.

That rollercoaster. I am pretty keen for the Sparkcast though. I can be satiated with a lot of MM details

Karl2177

Anybody XBL running out soon/broke/etc?
If anyone wants to play with me this weekend, then yes.

Corinne Yu article.

Interesting. The best co-op encounters I've had are ones where each player can take a different approach to it. I said earlier of the first encounter on Covenant where players have 3 different options to tackle the other beach. Or in Halo 2 Outskirts, if someone glitches out of the level, you can take a vertical approach to it.

Havok

Well then you're in luck. I think some folks will be happy with today's MM info drop.
I am catching up with today's posts and this caught my eye.

If today is the day of Evade's death, many United States offical greenback dollars will be given to your studio and products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom