• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

The likelihood that ANY 15 characters could seriously spoil the Halo 4 Campaign for you is pretty small. The idea that a couple of words strung together, making up a gamertag, might ONLY be applicable to Halo 4 spoilage is sort of silly.

SnapeKillsDumbledore is 21 characters.

You know what isn't 21 characters? SnapeKillsDumbl. And it's just as spoiler-y. The key word was "potentially".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You were joking, but this is a perfect example of what I was trying to say.

Even the people who SCREAMED THIS SPOILER OUT in drive-bys on the night of the release of Half-Blood Prince had no clue what this actually meant - even THEY had to wait for two years for this spoiler to be put in context.

Just knowing a fact doesn't tell you the story.

(I'll buy that knowing the fact before you get to it in the narrative can decrease the emotional impact - but in some ways... it INCREASES tension, because you have no idea when to expect it. Will this encounter end with the appearance of Tupac? How about THIS one? Maybe THIS one?)

I dunno. Someone spelling out the end of the game, in a paragraph or whatever - that can definitely decrease enjoyment (for those who aren't like Dani). But two words - which may or may not be true? Eh. I don't buy it.
It really does bring the experience down for me. I absolutely hate that "Is it gonna happen now?" feeling. It literally drives me to distraction. Like, it throws me in a fucking car and drives me to Distraction, and I don't wanna be there. I wanna be on the Halo 4 roller coaster, with blinders on, experiencing every dip and turn as it happens.

But yeah, I'm sure I'll love the hell out of the plot, despite wondering about the potentially real spoilers I've read.

Even the people who SCREAMED THIS SPOILER OUT in drive-bys on the night of the release of Half-Blood Prince had no clue what this actually meant - even THEY had to wait for two years for this spoiler to be put in context.

(I'll buy that knowing the fact before you get to it in the narrative can decrease the emotional impact - but in some ways... it INCREASES tension, because you have no idea when to expect it. Will this encounter end with the appearance of Tupac? How about THIS one? Maybe THIS one?)

I dunno. Someone spelling out the end of the game, in a paragraph or whatever - that can definitely decrease enjoyment (for those who aren't like Dani). But two words - which may or may not be true? Eh. I don't buy it.

I for one, am the exact opposite. Going into a game with zero clue, and only one's ideas, uninfluenced by spoilers and leaks makes the experience so much more rich in my honest opinion. I suppose I have myself to blame for getting spoiled, but still... Getting spoiled bums me out. I know not everyone does it intentionally, and I feel like knowing more back fiction has made me more prone to getting spoiled.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
(for those who aren't like Dani)

I am a horrible freak of nature that has come to accept myself for who I am.

:D

Then again, the one advantage I have is that nobody can ruin the game for me. I don't have to hide anywhere or do silly things to protect myself from being spoiled. I will be just as excited any one else when I play it for the first time as anyone else. So, for this freak, it's win-win.

Woorloog

Banned
Everyone always bashes poor Reach so hard. I just passed 9000 games yesterday, and very very little of it was MLG. Multi team is fun with the right game type and Rumble pit/Living dead are fun if you enjoy those clutch moments at the end.

There's a million complaints about Reach and they all hold merit but there's a fun game underneath its hideous face. But lordy I am so ready for a new challenge in 4. This game needs a bigger population again. Less game types are gonna help out a lot.

Yes, when playing with a friend or party, and casually.
Otherwise... meh. Solo, horrible. Competitive gam---Wait, i didn't care about this one anymore.

Fuchsdh

Wu speaks the truth--studies suggest it increases enjoyment.

I still love how they threw in Spock's death five minutes in to Star Trek II to throw off people spoiled by it earlier.

Swarmerr

These were awesome. Dominion looks like a ton of fun, not a fan of the Scorpion on Exile though, I see that getting taken out quickly. The Scorpion will never be fit for MM...

Dominion looks like a ton of fun - I can see myself spending a lot of time in that playlist.

I am very optimistic about the core gameplay right now. Aiming seems harder than reach and not spongy like halo 3 (at least this is what I have heard) and the maps look like they are set up with sprint in mind.

I am also just really pumped play this game, why is novemeber 6th so far away...

Edit: After watching that capture the flag gameplay I am kind of excited to play it with the new changes to see how it works.
Would still like the option to drop the flag in custom games.

Woorloog

Banned
Listening to Halo 4 OST again. Shuffle on. Recognized Green and Blue from the first note. Distinctive. Good.

I wonder if my guess about the name's meaning will be right. I'm not assuming it to mean the obvious...

EDIT Immaterial is so good. So alien.

People actually like being spoiled! (thanks GiantBomb)

Though in large part I agree, spoilers don't have much of an effect on me. The one thing they truly do ruin is my ability to predict what's going to come up, and that's always kind of a drag, but yeah, whatever. Symbols on an OST or knowing that the game has a first level means nothing to me.

Anyone remotely interested in "games journalism" should be watching this thread.

Lies, retractions, job loses, and Halo branded Dew.
I've been watching it a bit and while it's all been amusing, I just can't see how people get so invested in this. Punch out your reviews for 14 year olds to bicker about the number at the end on GameFAQs, that's the job. I just can't get myself to care for game company shills because I don't listen to their opinions on things in the first place.

blamite

My problem witht he Halo 4 helmets is that the vast majority seem like they're trying way too hard to just look "badass" rather than the simpler more memorable (to me, at least) designs from H3, or some Reach helmets. In a lot of cases that just makes them look dumb, and not in a good way. Seriously, CIO is just depressing to look at. I miss Mk V.

Louis Wu

I still love how they threw in Spock's death five minutes in to Star Trek II to throw off people spoiled by it earlier.
Heh - this is one of the things I love about Stephen King's writing style. The crux of a story - the important incident, the critical death, whatever - is often mentioned, casually, in the first chapter. You then spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how you got there. You're often wrong.

Spock's death is a great example - because although it happens, it doesn't happen.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Yes, when playing with a friend or party, and casually.
Otherwise... meh. Solo, horrible. Competitive gam---Wait, i didn't care about this one anymore.

Yeah I would never advise playing without a team unless doing Rumble and even then it's nice to have some competent players with you. But again, I feel like that's a population thing in a lot of ways. So fingers crossed for 4's longevity.

Enfinit

Eh. Not worth the argument. Never mind.

Again, the key word was "potentially". If it's not worth the argument, don't start one! I understand your point, but whether I know if the spoil is true or not, I'm going into the game with a half-expecting-it feeling. I hate that.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah I would never advise playing without a team unless doing Rumble and even then it's nice to have some competent players with you. But again, I feel like that's a population thing in a lot of ways. So fingers crossed for 4's longevity.

Rumble doesn't work in Reach. Not at all. Its the game mechanics that make it shitty, regardless of other people.
Only FFA mode worth playing is that custom Derby mode.

Also, saying this again but Arrival is so frigging good. So... positive feeling, great!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heh - this is one of the things I love about Stephen King's writing style. The crux of a story - the important incident, the critical death, whatever - is often mentioned, casually, in the first chapter. You then spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how you got there. You're often wrong.

Spock's death is a great example - because although it happens, it doesn't happen.

Well it does, the Jesus bomb just brings him back.

My problem witht he Halo 4 helmets is that the vast majority seem like they're trying way too hard to just look "badass" rather than the simpler more memorable (to me, at least) designs from H3, or some Reach helmets. In a lot of cases that just makes them look dumb, and not in a good way. Seriously, CIO is just depressing to look at. I miss Mk V.
Totally, I just don't know what happened with some of these or how they came about to be, but they're just weird. I wasn't a big fan of most of the alternative 3 and Reach helmets, but they weren't actively bad like these few are:

11e8e.jpg

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Had to play catch up again, man this thread goes fast if I'm not watching it often.

Very, very glad that 343i changed the LE Map Pack to get the two other helmets as well, it was my only beef with the LE and now we get it too. Thank you, it just made better sense to do that.

Friend of mine asked me to play some Reach, which was the first time I touched the game since I don't know when of last year. Played like 10 matches I think, and switched my controls immediately from Boxer, which I used since Halo 3, to Bumper Jumper for the first time period because that was what I wanted to go for in Halo 4. Didn't care for my stats, I just wanted to learn this new layout in time for Halo 4.

First few games were abysmal because I kept messing up melee and throwing grenades, but my last five matches went great, with some matches going +20 as well. Definitely glad with this choice, and got it down surprisingly-fast too despite not playing in ages. I definitely did not remember this many campers in Reach when I was playing though, got them before got me most of the time once I had to switch up the playstyle to be more aware of them with no radar in Slayer Pro.

Beckx

You guys are perilously close to defending griefing as a good thing. It may be time to revisit the line of reasoning that got you there. Would it really improve the experience for Game of Thrones fans for you to throw out a three word spoiler of an event in a later book? Would telling those fans "ha!
Robb gets murdered
this season" really improve things for them? (Warning, ASOIAF spoiler.) Is it the end of the world? Nah. A serious crime? Nope. But have you increased their enjoyment? Seriously?

A huge fan of his; he's the guy that made me want to write stories. But what he's doing is something else entirely. There's no question that
he works up the reader in Dark Tower into a lather worrying Roland will die, and also works em up knowing that Eddie will.
(Dark Tower spoilers). That's different, though, it's not done of a spirit of hurtfulness, it's done through craft & it's part of the conversation b/t him and you. Joey the Troll doing drive-bys isn't part of that conversation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The way Steitzer says "enemy captured" in CTF seems fixed, but it still sounds terrible in Dominion. 343, please make this your number one priority with the launch day TU.

Totally, I just don't know what happened with some of these or how they came about to be, but they're just weird. I wasn't a big fan of most of the alternative 3 and Reach helmets, but they weren't actively bad like these few are:

11e8e.jpg
I think the third one looks cool, although it somewhat resembles a head of cabbage.

11e8e.jpg

Eh, I like the middle right helmet a lot. The others are OK, but they may look better with different color choices. Still, it is a weird direction they went with the helmets this time, there is no denying that.

Also, sad helmet isn't as bad as I originally thought. Left most one looks awful though.

11e8e.jpg

Mark VI is all you'll ever need. He's our friend.

Also, in the Exile CTF, the gauss hog had a pretty decent "charge-up" time in-between shots. Although I don't know how different that is from previous Halo games. Like the Scorpion Tank, I don't think it needs to be in multiplayer.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

11e8e.jpg

I guess..if i had to pick id go 1 and 4. Hey..different strokes right?

Pop

11e8e.jpg

What makes them so bad?

People have different taste and enjoy different things. I for one like all the helmets, their unique and different then what were used to seeing in Halo. Customization is meant to be special for the individual player. I enjoy options, don't you.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Rumble doesn't work in Reach. Not at all. Its the game mechanics that make it shitty, regardless of other people.
Only FFA mode worth playing is that custom Derby mode.

Ehhh. Agree to disagree. I'm of the mindset that likes sprint in Reach. Rumble pit/Living dead are, at least to me, the game types that give you that "How did I live through that shit?" moment. Obviously in Living dead that only applies to last man standing, but running away from 11 other people with infinite sprint is really fun on the right map.

zlatko

Banned

11e8e.jpg

These are definitely the shittiest of the bunch. The others I saw today were awesome though! :D

blamite

11e8e.jpg

MF7o3m.jpg

Seriously, I mean all of these may not be amazing works of design but the fact that helmets like Rogue or CQB get replaced with garbage like Vanguard or Tracker or Engineer is just baffling to me. I'm amazed that Scout managed to get by unscathed, considering what's happened to some of the new stuff.

All the new helmets are like the new Pokemon, just random stripes and spikes everywhere. Now get off my lawn.

Flipyap

11e8e.jpg
God, that grumpy cartoon froggie is so freakin' cute.

GDACq.png

BigShow36

I just dont like how half of them look like this:

helm.jpg

Plasma Pistol + Pistol. Pretty easy. Except the big open vehicle section in AotC and TB.

Needler is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom