• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't see yourself wanting to look through walls?

No, because the above average player won't need the ability to look through walls. Seems a waste of an AA if you don't need it.

I agree with everyone who likes the fact that AA's are pretty useless, but I've got a feeling that the hardlight shield will be the most used AA, which could be super annoying from what I've seen.

It's sort of interesting that the blue channel is solid (removing it changes almost nothing). Not sure what that might mean, though.

My guess is the distortion isn't really distortion. Someone boot up photoshop and open up the hue and saturation window and slide the hue completely through the spectrum. Check it from distances too, maybe we're literally looking at it too closely.

No, because the above average player won't need the ability to look through walls. Seems a waste of an AA if you don't need it.

I agree with everyone who likes the fact that AA's are pretty useless, but I've got a feeling that the hardlight shield will be the most used AA, which could be super annoying.

Eh, unlike armor lock, a quick grenade solves that problem immediately. If a lot of people are hardlighting, just spec for grenades and enjoy the free kills.

As for the uselessness of AAs, you're all wrong and crazy. People talk about the skill gap leveling out. Proper use of that little seasoning on top is what's going to give you an edge in combat.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
viewtopic.php

viewtopic.php

Woorloog

Banned
Has 343 ever released the full list of support upgrades and tactical packages? I was going to compile them for the OT, but am debating just mentioning each as a category, since I can't find primary sources on many of them.

Here's all I can find, other than the Specializations from one of the Bulletins.

Unofficial list, made by some HaloGAFer (unfortunately i didn't attach name to my bookmark).
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/nicksoisson0626/armormods_zps6bfdde86.png

Accurate. AFAIK. IMO.

Overdoziz

Banned
Same objects as in Reach and not even trees. Sad day for a forger. Why 343i/Certain Affinity has chosen to go this way, will always be a mystery for me.
I've said it several times already but a big flat object that has grass/sand/rock/dirt/snow/whatever on it is about a 100 times more useful than the centerpiece from Ascension. 343 and Certain Affinity should've focused on allowing Forger to create unique looking maps. That was the biggest issue in Reach, right up there with framedrops.

BigShow36

You should be a designer at 343 with that kind of logic. Seeing through walls, especially in the way that PV does, is immensely powerful and good players are going to benefit from it much more than any other group of players. It's going to basically lead to massive donging on bad players and stalemates at higher levels, kind of like radar.

Overdoziz

Banned
You should be a designer at 343 with that kind of logic. Seeing through walls, especially in the way that PV does, is immensely powerful and good players are going to benefit from it much more than any other group of players. It's going to basically lead to massive donging on bad players and stalemates at higher levels, kind of like radar.
Especially since it reaches far beyond the range of motion tracker.

Nowise10

improving forge is an act of corporate malfeasance because it takes away potential profits from map packs

And they always want to leave room for more for the next games.

As with this, they added in A very awesome feature (dynamic lighting), which honestly adds alot to maps, but they could have also added much much more.

But they will add that much much more in the next coming Halo titles.

You should be a designer at 343 with that kind of logic. Seeing through walls, especially in the way that PV does, is immensely powerful and good players are going to benefit from it much more than any other group of players.

Of course they will benefit from it. But do they NEED it to be a good player? Nope.

Especially since it reaches far beyond the range of motion tracker.

Isn't there a tactical package (or whatever it's called) that increases the range of the motion tracker?

EDIT: I think it's a support upgrade, not a tactical package.

orznge

Banned
(at 343 design meeting)

person 1: what's a cool new FPS mechanic we can implement?

person 2: a wallhack with a cooldown

nillapuddin

Sofa King

If this game were as bad as some around here make it out to be it would be a giant turd with a 4 on it. I'm still totally hyped for it and the little I got to play it at PAX was a blast.

Sometimes coming here I feel like Charlie Brown at the Christmas play.

I am guessing a Meta score of 93 or greater when all is said and done.

Halo 4 forge sucks. Sooooooooooooooooooooo much potential squandered.
It really put a halt on the momentum building from Halo 3 launch to Foundry to Sandbox to Forge World.

I think it says a lot that they handed this off to Certain Affinity, who really didn't put a whole lot of Forge support behind their Reach maps (I think Headlong or maybe Ridgeline was the most supported). It really seems like they were just trying to get Forge in there and address as many concerns as they could in a pressed amount of man hours.

Not saying you should lower your expectations, but would you rather have Forge canvases as they are (which are going to be essential for small maps in Halo 4) or would you rather see the mode and maps go the way of campaign films?

This is such shit logic. Anyone who wants to win, will do so at all costs. A good player won't say, "I'm too good to look through walls." A good player will say, "why in the fuck would I not want to look through walls?" An AA like PV is going to increase an already good players awareness and abilities. Honor goes out the window when one wants to win.

GhaleonEB

Unofficial list, made by some HaloGAFer (unfortunately i didn't attach name to my bookmark).
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/nicksoisson0626/armormods_zps6bfdde86.png

Accurate. AFAIK. IMO.

Thanks.

Thinking it through....I think I'm just going to be descriptive about the categories (tactical vs. support, what specializations are), and call it good. If I go down that road and list all the toys (armor mods, armor abilities, weapons, etc.) I risk tilting the OT into a content info dump. It'll be in the manual. (Thought I'd mention why it doesn't show up in the thread.)

Thanks for the link, it's good to see the scope of it. Not a spoiler:
that list scares the hell out of me
I want to know besides the 3 maps, magnets and baked lighting, what else did Certain Affinity do with forge?

This seems, poor.

Gravity zones, player trait zones, and....that's all I can think of.

Woorloog

Banned
Thanks.

Thinking it through....I think I'm just going to be descriptive about the categories (tactical vs. support, what specializations are), and call it good. If I go down that road and list all the toys (armor mods, armor abilities, weapons, etc.) I risk tilting the OT into a content info dump. It'll be in the manual. (Thought I'd mention why it doesn't show up in the thread.)

Thanks for the link, it's good to see the scope of it. Not a spoiler:
that list scares the hell out of me

Why does it scare you?

BigShow36

i still think you guys expect way too much from 7 year old hardware.

What does hardware have to do with replacing worthless forge items and adding in some more universally applicable pieces and natural textured objects? I recon it would take less hardware power to have forge maps that have some flat, open spaces.

Akai__

I've said it several times already but a big flat object that has grass/sand/rock/dirt/snow/whatever on it is about a 100 times more useful than the centerpiece from Ascension. 343 and Certain Affinity should've focused on allowing Forger to create unique looking maps. That was the biggest issue in Reach, right up there with framedrops.

I'm not a serious forger, but I know how you feel. It looked like a mess in Reachs MM.

Maps would only become better, if we could have weather themed maps, some colored objects and more decorative things...

But, why do we talk about that again and again? I don't think it will change drastically in the near future, but hoping for some crazy stuff, though, for next Gen Halo.

zap

It really put a halt on the momentum building from Halo 3 launch to Foundry to Sandbox to Forge World.

I think it says a lot that they handed this off to Certain Affinity, who really didn't put a whole lot of Forge support behind their Reach maps (I think Headlong or maybe Tempest was the most supported). It really seems like they were just trying to get Forge in there and address as many concerns as they could in a pressed amount of man hours.

Not saying you should lower your expectations, but would you rather have Forge canvases as they are (which are going to be essential for small maps in Halo 4) or would you rather see the mode and maps go the way of campaign films?

Tempest was Bungie. Condemned had Dev-only forge pieces. I can't think of any of the CA maps that did much with forge.

This is such shit logic. Anyone who wants to win, will do so at all costs. A good player won't say, "I'm too good to look through walls." A good player will say, "why in the fuck would I not want to look through walls?" An AA like PV is going to increase an already good players awareness and abilities. Honor goes out the window when one wants to win.

You're right, but that's not how I like to play.

I think the thruster would personally benefit me more than PV, but that's just me. I just hope AA's in Halo 4 aren't as game-breaking as they were in Halo Reach, and by the looks of everything shown, I'm gonna be a very happy man.

Roll on November 6th!

Caja 117

So, is anyone going to take a stab at what the last Bulletin before launch will feature?

Launch day playlist and the specs of these playlists.

Maybe a list of the ranks in the progression system, and the amount of Exp needed to rank up, and a full list on the amount of points each action awards to the player.

Homeboyd

It is known.
This hurts. :(

I don't think a few trees, colors or flat blocks with grass or snow on one side or the other is too pressing. Would definitely go a long way.

I don't buy the whole "it takes away from DLC." If that was the case they wouldn't have made the huge improvements from Halo 3 to Reach that they did. Most may not be happy with the result but it was a massive upgrade. You can argue DLC sales in Reach (I don't know whether they sold well or not), but you can't tie it directly back to how well those consumers liked or didn't like Forge.

I was also hoping one of the map packs would have a new Forge canvas with some new items (and one may), but it doesn't appear to. A Forge pack DLC would be all kinds of amazing.

Yeah, I look at the visual fidelity of the game and all of the content in it and I am glad we still even have forge and theater in their somewhat limited states. I mean, look at how much Reach suffered with LODs on splitscreen, frame drops on some maps and stuff. The drawbacks of that much content have to exist somewhere. There is absolutely a cost when you try to add to something which is already at the brim.

I think that if forge maps run without severe frame issues like in Reach, it'll be a success. I'd prefer stable legacy features over broken updated features. I think that as the 360 ages, this concern increases in validity.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What's with this pointless ARG so close to release? :/

Exclusive armour piece?
Extra fiction?

I'm enjoying the hidden messages and images in the bulletins but all the Youtube twitter stuff hasn't done it for me.

Watching smart people figure this out is fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom