• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeboyd

Yeah, I look at the visual fidelity of the game and all of the content in it and I am glad we still even have forge and theater in their somewhat limited states. I mean, look at how much Reach suffered with LODs on splitscreen, frame drops on some maps and stuff. The drawbacks of that much content have to exist somewhere. There is absolutely a cost when you try to add to something which is already at the brim.

I think that if forge maps run without severe frame issues like in Reach, it'll be a success. I'd prefer stable legacy features over broken updated features. I think that as the 360 ages, this concern increases in validity.
But you probably don't Forge. There's a lot of us that do and certainly love when improvements are made (and there definitely are some in 4), but like others mentioned, they could've added a few small things that would reaaally go a long way. These things would help us help them.

But you probably don't Forge. There's a lot of us that do and certainly love when improvements are made (and there definitely were some in 4), but like others mentioned, they could've added a few small things that would reaaally go a long way. These things would help us help them.

I think you missed my point.

nillapuddin

Thinking it through....I think I'm just going to be descriptive about the categories (tactical vs. support, what specializations are), and call it good. If I go down that road and list all the toys (armor mods, armor abilities, weapons, etc.) I risk tilting the OT into a content info dump. It'll be in the manual. (Thought I'd mention why it doesn't show up in the thread.)

feel free to steal my text list of all loadout items if that helps, also if you want in-game descriptions that video from earlier would help and Flatulator's google doc has the rest I think

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43603525&postcount=5151

I could make some more low-key graphics like that Armor Mods one if it would help?

But you probably don't Forge. There's a lot of us that do and certainly love when improvements are made (and there definitely are some in 4), but like others mentioned, they could've added a few small things that would reaaally go a long way. These things would help us help them.

im with you, Im very happy with what we will have
I didnt (and I dont know why some did) expect a complete line by line overhaul of forge in Halo 4, I expected more user friendly options, more consistent geometry in the pieces, better thought-out suite of objects, and stable frame rate

it looks like we will get 3/4, and Im okay with that.

Halo 5, let yalls mind run wild.
But for now, Im happy

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
/START FILE
//CLASSIFIED
//RAIDER
/EARLY REPORTS FROM IMBRIUM MACHINE COMPLEX FACILITY ARE POSITIVE - TESTING IS STILL UNDERWAY BUT SO FAR THE TEST SUBJECTS EXHIBIT THE DESIRED EFFECTS FROM THE UPDATED FERAL DESIGN
./END FILE/

p.png
538 is the number of electoral college votes. cpk -> pick? As in vote?

That's all I've got lol

Homeboyd

I think you missed my point.
Not at all. You're happy it exists as is since we're fortunate enough it wasn't cut like other features were to make room for new features. I'm with you, but people are obviously going to not feel the same way if something they love and enjoy didn't get the same treatment as features you may love and enjoy.

All I'm saying is, I didn't think you were a Forger (am I wrong? I may be) so you aren't going to react as passionately to forge additions or cuts as those who spend a lot of time with it.

Overdoziz

Banned
i still think you guys expect way too much from 7 year old hardware.
They could've done a lot more with Forge without turning it into a full-on map creator you know.

-Add a performance meter
-Allow us to change the color of big chunks of objects
-Give people the option to create a custom map picture for in the menu (Rumored to be in Halo 4 but the fact that it hasn't been mentioned by any leaker suggests that it's not in)
-Add invisible barriers
-Make a map that is actually flat and has several types of terrain
-If not that add big flat objects with a variety of terrain types
-Make it so all objects actually fit together well size-wise, I don't ever want to see a ramp that has a width of 2.4 units long
-A more unified and consistent aesthetical look throughout all objects. This only works if you can change the colors of objects, otherwise every map will look alike (This seems to be the case with Halo 4 Forge)
-Allow forger to control the trajectory of mancannons
-Remove the goddamn category object limit
-Add more natural objects, especially vegetation.
-Fuck glass

That's what I could come up with in a short period of time, I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff but this is the gist of it. 343 and CA could push Forge far beyond what it is right now without making it much more taxing on the 360, it just seems like they don't think it's much of a priority.

^ Agreed.

Decent Bulletin. Vortex looks fun and the map pack still looks decent. Hopefully some of the areas don't feel as repetitive compared to other maps as they sound. Forge still looks disappointing.

+
+

/START FILE
//CLASSIFIED
//RAIDER
/EARLY REPORTS FROM IMBRIUM MACHINE COMPLEX FACILITY ARE POSITIVE - TESTING IS STILL UNDERWAY BUT SO FAR THE TEST SUBJECTS EXHIBIT THE DESIRED EFFECTS FROM THE UPDATED FERAL DESIGN
./END FILE/

Where is all this even coming from? The latest bulletin? I wonder what this will end up unlocking in the terminal.. Seems weird doing this so close to release.

Fracas

#fuckonami
They could've done a lot more with Forge without turning it into a full-on map creator you know.

-Add a performance meter
-Give people the option to create a custom map picture for in the menu (Rumored to be in Halo 4 but the fact that it hasn't been mentioned by any leaker suggests that it's not in)
-Add invisible barriers
-Make it so all objects actually fit together well size-wise, I don't ever want to see a ramp that has a width of 2.4 units long
-A more unified and consistent aesthetical look throughout all objects. This only works if you can change the colors of objects, otherwise every map will alike
-Fuck glass

That's what I could come up with in a short period of time, I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff but this is the gist of it. 343 and CA could push Forge far beyond what it is right now without making it much more taxing on the 360, it just seems like they don't think it's much of a priority.
Absolutely no excuse for the bolded not making it in. Everything else was disappointing, but sort of expected.

-Add a performance meter
-Add invisible barriers
-A more unified and consistent aesthetical look throughout all objects. This only works if you can change the colors of objects, otherwise every map will alike
-Fuck glass

Perfect. The performance meter/FPS counter, whatever you want to call it would be such a welcome addition. You wouldn't need budgets, you'd just understand that your maps shouldn't drop the frame rate below 30.

nillapuddin

-Add a performance meter - Yes
-Allow us to change the color of big chunks of objects - No?
-Give people the option to create a custom map picture for in the menu - Yes
-Add invisible barriers - Yes
-Make a map that is actually flat and has several types of terrain - Yes
-If not that add big flat objects with a variety of terrain types - Yes
-Make it so all objects actually fit together well size-wise, I don't ever want to see a ramp that has a width of 2.4 units long - Holy fuck Yes
-A more unified and consistent aesthetical look throughout all objects. This only works if you can change the colors of objects, otherwise every map will alike - They did that? Relay looks cohesive
-Allow forger to control the trajectory of mancannons - Seems a bit nitpicky
-Remove the goddamn category object limit - Holy Fuck Yes
-Add more natural objects, especially vegetation. - Meh
-Fuck glass - Yes Yes Yes Yes

Mostly, I want are pieces that make sense

1 World Unit blocks, 1/2 WU blocks, and dimensions that make sense

I will say I find it appalling they didnt fill in the gaps of missing building blocks that should exist

2x2 box. seriously, would that have been that fucking difficult?

Overdoziz

Banned
Also, whoever thinks the Thruster is more useful than Promethean Vision is bad at Halo.
Mostly, I want are pieces that make sense

1 World Unit blocks, 1/2 WU blocks, and dimensions that make sense

I will say I find it appalling they didnt fill in the gaps of missing building blocks that should exist

2x2 box. seriously, would that have been that fucking difficult?
Where mah 4x1?
Also, why would you not want people to change colors of objects? I'm not talking bright red and blue or only or anything. Just a color wheel or whatever. That way you can add some subtle color to maps.

.shin

Banned
The game isnt that bad. You are butthurt about something and will just blame it on the game, rather then you.

Reach, multiplayer wise, is a bad game. IMO, of course. I think a lot of people still have fun with it from time to time, but that shit gets irritating and too random to put up with.

nillapuddin

Where mah 4x1?

Never going to exist :(
goddamnit

Its great that we see videos and have all these OHI from people working on the game but where are the interviews with CA?

When do they have to talk in detail about Forge and what the hell do they say when someone asks them

"How did you improve the object selection from Halo Reach Forge?"

Also, why would you not want people to change colors of objects? I'm not talking bright red and blue or only or anything. Just a color wheel or whatever. That way you can add some subtle color to maps.

I just dont understand how that could be implemented nicely, I feel like you would just end up with rainbow maps all over the place
It would hinder creating a cohesive pallet when each piece can be changed independently

FyreWulff

I'm in for a bill on a Forge scenery pack DLC kickstarter.

Eh, just wait for the next game. No point in releasing new Forge upgraded environs as it being DLC will always have a lower adoption rate than it being available with everyone's disc. Good thing they've never released a modern Halo without the base Forge map present and usable.

.. on the other hand, I thought it interesting that 343 has to take a pic of Cortana in-game for Halo 1 just like everyone else, instead of just showing the model by itself like H2 and H3 Cortana.

edit: I wonder how big the Reach Super Jackpot is.

IHaveIce

Banned
The game isnt that bad. You are butthurt about something and will just blame it on the game, rather then you.

sorry, but reach is bad.

and I don't have to blame it on me that jetpack is in the game,it has the worst Halo maps by far, the game is slow and the grenades are fucking nukes.

The only thing I can blame on me is that I play this mess

FyreWulff

Tempest was Bungie. Condemned had Dev-only forge pieces. I can't think of any of the CA maps that did much with forge.

The Anniversary Maps had a bunch of Forge World pieces in them, so they were mostly Forgeable. None of CA's maps had One Way Shield Doors though, which impacted the ability to carve Invasion variants out of them. Still pissed I couldn't get the Breakneck Invasion variant done before the Reach MM update door closed.

Also Ridgeline had two problems:

1) it started discoing after like, 5 objects were placed
2) You had to work off the Timberland variant instead of Ridgeline, because the side-huts on Ridgeline used the health-pack holders for the health packs.. which you couldn't delete.

Felt like the hate was egging me on, but as much as I prefer Reach- screw it, I'm not going to touch it once 4 comes out.

Probably most here won't, but it just seems like fewer people are hedging around "Reach fucking sucks" than others.

For the record I've enjoyed Reach since release. Bungie made some DUMB choices, but I've had fun. Maybe I'm a BK to HaloGAF though.

EDIT: Didn't think it wise to post my service record.

Redford

aka Cabbie

If we didn't know you were from Bnet already, we'd know now.

You're right, but that's not how I like to play.

I think the thruster would personally benefit me more than PV, but that's just me. I just hope AA's in Halo 4 aren't as game-breaking as they were in Halo Reach, and by the looks of everything shown, I'm gonna be a very happy man.

Roll on November 6th!

So you are admitting to being a scrub. :p I have the same mentality sometimes.

They are definitely not as offensive, I think I will a happy man as well. AA's were never a huge deal for me in Reach compared to others like melee; some are just annoying; Camo returning instead of placeable powerups is a kick in the balls, for instance. =/

If we didn't know you were from Bnet already, we'd know now.

So you are admitting to being a scrub. :p I have the same mentality sometimes.

They are definitely not as offensive, I think I will a happy man as well. AA's were never a huge deal for me in Reach compared to other shit like melee; some are just annoying; Camo returning instead of placeable powerups is a kick in the balls, for instance. =/

If I had my way, I'd remove AA's altogether. Halo 2/3 halo is best halo(s).

JHall

I don't see how this is possible with Halo 4.

I wasn't saying that Reach will be better than Halo 4. Halo has been following this tread since the release of Halo 2; each new game is worse. I don't know if any of you guys played Halo 2 pre-patch, but it was just plain awful. 6 shot BR with worse spread than Halo 3's BR, 6 beat downs to kill people, plasma grenades that dealt almost no damage at all. The list goes on and on, the patch saved that game.

I really do hope Halo 4 breaks the tread of worse Halo games being released. You have to realize though, Reach set the bar so low you almost have to deliberately try to make a worse game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom