• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely off topic, but if you guys live anywhere from the DC area up into New York City, have fun:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Could be a 1 in 1000 year event and I'm thinking Tashi could be in for an interesting Mon/Tue next week. Even without the possibility of strong winds, which may or may not happen, this system has the potential to dump massive amounts of rain and cause serious flooding problems, especially if it sits over the coast for 12-24 hours wherever it ends up making landfall.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
You have to realize though, Reach set the bar so low you almost have to deliberately try to make a worse game.

I'm curious- it Reach had better playlist management, would some people still dump on it so much?

I absolutely loved the DMR (hides from BigShow) and the visual cues for damaged opponents were awesome. Netcode better than any other in the series.

I'll still think of Reach positively.

Tunavi

Banned
Wow those killcams are wonky as hell... they need some serious polish.
Also, Dat Text String.
ibvXmuexUihn4D.gif
its almost as if...

...they should have left them out

misterchief[img]
Maybe?[/QUOTE]
hahah nice

I'm curious- it Reach had better playlist management, would some people still dump on it so much?

I absolutely loved the DMR (hides from BigShow) and the visual cues for damaged opponents were awesome. Netcode better than any other in the series.

but those are just improvements on technology and cant really be compared (other than the dmr). the core gameplay of reach was just shit

If I was playlist manager I never would have removed Squad Slayer.

Vote for Juices in 2012!
you get my vote. (only if you remove bloom from it)

Woorloog

Banned

Playlists wouldn't save Reach really, it was fundamentally wrong on gameplay level. And it isn't about any single factor there either, but the combination of many. TU did nothing to fix it, in my eyes, and even worsened it in some ways.

Doesn't mean it didn't have good points, at this point i'm so bitter and jaded that i can barely think of them though. In the end, i had quite a lot of fun with it.
Considerably more than with BLOPS or any other COD i've played, if measured in hours i've played it far more than BF3. It is just very, very easy to bitch about Reach.

I kinda flip-flop when it comes to Reach. Bipolar attitude towards it.

FyreWulff

but those are just improvements on technology and cant really be compared (other than the dmr). the core gameplay of reach was just shit

The core gameplay that already existed in Halo 1, 2, and 3? The one that they finally decided to show in the reticule? The one people cried about until they did a terrible half-baked job of changing to try and draw back people that stopped playing and still didn't come back after the change, leaving Reach fans with a half done version of Halo 4 while 343 made Halo 4?

Booties

Banned
Completely off topic, but if you guys live anywhere from the DC area up into New York City, have fun:

Could be a 1 in 1000 year event and I'm thinking Tashi could be in for an interesting Mon/Tue next week. Even without the possibility of strong winds, which may or may not happen, this system has the potential to dump massive amounts of rain and cause serious flooding problems, especially if it sits over the coast for 12-24 hours wherever it ends up making landfall.

Good to see Philadelphia is smack dab in the middle.

Two summers ago we got a hurricane (Irene?). I drank a case of beer and watched comic book movies all night. During the storm I went out on the roof deck and did my best lt. Dan impression and passed out.

I can only get stronger this year.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

I don't know. If H4's BR is bleedthrough and the DMR is not, that's a headache and a step back, IMO. Too often in other games I was left with a "what the hell just happened." In Reach at least I could say "f'n bloom." I at least knew what happened from the game's feedback.

JHall

For me, no.

Also, the no-bloom DMR > BR.

I definitely wish there were some new Forge pieces (like a serious set of new ones) but I'm excited about the possibilities for the Dominion stuff.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Please don't be a hazel repeat please oh please

Homeboyd

Two summers ago we got a hurricane (Irene?). I drank a case of beer and watched comic book movies all night. During the storm I went out on the roof deck and did my best lt. Dan impression and passed out.

Stream please

JHall

In many ways, yeah. But bloom, nerfed movement, and crappy maps make it hard to say that with any degree of enthusiasm.

To be fair, the movement in H3 was extremely clunky as well in Reach.

I'm not defending Reach in any way. But when you look at movement/strafe from Halo CE/2 then to Halo 3/Reach. I'm still scratching my head as to why Bungie did that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, the movement in H3 was extremely clunky as well in Reach.

I'm not defending Reach in any way. But when you look at movement/strafe from Halo CE/2 then to Halo 3/Reach. I'm still scratching my head as to why Bungie did that.
Yeah, Halo 3 was pretty slow, but at least you could jump.

Plus DMR > BR all day, errday
I definitely agree with you there. I'm curious what my preference will be in Halo 4.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Yup, I've had my eye on it for a couple days now. Praying it loses strength or moves further into the Atlantic. I'll probably lose power for a couple days.

Nowise10

I read all of the replies to me. No, I am not claiming the game is gold, I tend to bitch about the game when im playing it, but the game is seriously not that bad that you think its trash after 2 games.

I'd like to say 95% of the time, if you think the games utter trash after 2 games, and praise Halo 3, you're doing something wrong.

2games of reach- I'm annoyed, damn is this game a mess.

In one page of your competitive game history (Not counting zombies), you went negative 12 times. Thats pretty bad. and I really dont want to sound like some idiot who judges on KD, but if you are "good" then you you would realize the true flaws in the game (not the case for everyone), and not go on the "OMFG this game sucks, I died, fuck bloom!" bandwagon. In which bloom can be an issue, but not as much as everyone exaggerates.

kylej

Banned

This is why you will always be my bro B 2da ooties.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
kittens is coming around.

In terms of my enjoyment of the multiplayer, H1 > Reach = H2 > ODST Firefight > H3.

All great games.

Excuse yourself from this thread

You just said reach was equal to halo 2

I want to break things

But you did say your enjoyment, so I will refrain

BigShow36

I like the idea of the DMR; single-shot, super accurate, long range.
I didn't like its implementation in Reach; bloom, too much aim assist, 5sk

Some of that appears resolved in Halo 4, some of it doesn't, but I'll take it over the BR anyday.

If Reach had a no-bloom playlist from the start with Slayer Pro settings, it would have had a much better reputation.

I thought H2>H1>H3>Reach was common knowledge.

Now I know why there's an ignore feature.

FyreWulff

I definitely wish there were some new Forge pieces (like a serious set of new ones) but I'm excited about the possibilities for the Dominion stuff.

I can already see people using the deployed over to make battledomes - when each one is build up, the shields come up and deploy over doorways,forcing everyone inside to battle it out so that they can be re-opened.

IHaveIce

Banned
I read all of the replies to me. No, I am not claiming the game is gold, I tend to bitch about the game when im playing it, but the game is seriously not that bad that you think its trash after 2 games.

I'd like to say 95% of the time, if you think the games utter trash after 2 games, and praise Halo 3, you're doing something wrong.

In one page of your competitive game history (Not counting zombies), you went negative 12 times. Thats pretty bad. and I really dont want to sound like some idiot who judges on KD, but if you are "good" then you you would realize the true flaws in the game (not the case for everyone), and not go on the "OMFG this game sucks, I died, fuck bloom!" bandwagon. In which bloom can be an issue, but not as much as everyone exaggerates.

Sorry but I don't see where I mentioned that I was good or that my death would affect how I think of this game. You clearly didn't read the reply and just posted what you think would be my problem with the game, so please shut up and don't try to think for me ok? And wow I can also find a page where I go postive all the time, no shit sherlock.

Edit: also I didn't praise Halo 3 nor did I say it is trash, nor did I based my "it is a mess" sentence only on these 2 games.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I like the idea of the DMR; single-shot, super accurate, long range.
I didn't like its implementation in Reach; bloom, too much aim assist, 5sk

I was thinking about your posts regarding super quick kill times, faster movement and dropping the aim assist.

I'm curious how this would translate into the online space. I'd think any lag would just be completely compounded by moving these things too far in that direction. If you talked about this a lot before, I apologize.

Granted, I really can't base any experience on this. Any twitchy PC shooters I've played won't do any good because I am absolute trash w/ a keyboard/mouse.

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo Reach:
The good
Netcode, hitscan, feedback, ZBNS MLG

The bad
Bloom, shitty maps, jetpack, armor lock, camo AA, sprint, loadouts and AR starts

Halo 3:
The good
Agility, some excellent maps, BTB I guess?

The bad
Spread, non-hit scan BR, bubble shield, regenerator, flare, turd movement speed, AR starts

Halo 2:
The good
Mostly godlike maps, it was an arena shooter first, hitscan, agility, movement speed, objective gametypes that made sense

The bad
Hackers, cheaters, boosters, modders, glitchers, SMG starts

Halo 1:
The good
Driving warthogs at each other at full speed on Blood Gulch to see how high they would fly up in the air

Nowise10

Im not trying to insult you, so quit with the insults to me plox.

You saying "2games of reach- I'm annoyed, damn is this game a mess." Is clearly saying from those 2 games, the game is a mess. Why else would you have add it, if it wasnt relevant to the games? And what exactly is the issue that happened in those 2 games?

Not hating, Its just I certainly have never understood all the hate it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom