• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, crap. I just realized something based on Halo 4 OST track names but it is speculation and potential spoilers.
But i don't want to, i don't dare to go to the actual story spoiler thread.
I could write the stuff here with spoilertags but someone will complain about that.

So where's the best place to buy the non-LE Soundtrack folks?

If you don't care about FLAC or anything I'd go with Amazon or iTunes. The digital deluxe version has the remix album as well. Personally I'm still debating about buying the LE but the only part I truly care about is the making of DVD.

Subitai

Anyone picked up the Mega Blocks sets in anticipation?

Halo%20Mega%20Bloks%20Elephant%202.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
so if I buy this

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/nicksoisson0626/Capture_zps9ba64f8f.png[IMG]

I get the songs [B]digitally[/B] also?

So its 2 [s]bucks[/s] [I]euros[/I][spoiler]?[/spoiler] for the CD + 3 tracks?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

EDIT dunno 'bout shipping. I bought the digital download only.

I'd say
http://halo4soundtrack.com/row.html

Offers lossless format download.
If you don't care about FLAC or anything I'd go with Amazon or iTunes. The digital deluxe version has the remix album as well. Personally I'm still debating about buying the LE but the only part I truly care about is the making of DVD.
Amazon MP3?
Hmm, 18 tracks (+ CD) is £15 from the official site. iTunes is €11 for the 21 songs.
Amazon MP3 ain't available here.
iTunes it is. Thanks guys.
so if I buy this

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx1/nicksoisson0626/Capture_zps9ba64f8f.png[IMG]

I get the songs [B]digitally[/B] also?

So its 2 [s]bucks[/s] [I]euros[/I][spoiler]?[/spoiler] for the CD + 3 tracks?[/QUOTE]
Well, including delivery it'll be like €18, no?

u4iX

The thing I love about Neil Davidge's work on the Halo 4 OST is its cohesiveness. Not a single track feels out of place. They all have a similar "feel" but express a very different emotion. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Halo's music, I loved the main score in 1 and 2, but the other tracks always seemed more just "there" and were there to create an emotion, void of a consistent genre or thread.

I think this OST has a great direction. It feels like a well produced album would feel. There's different tracks, with different emotions, but it all feels like the same "artist," so to speak.

Looking back at Halo 2's soundtrack, the song "Unforgotten" comes to mind as one of those tracks I enjoyed, but didn't mesh well with the whole feel of the other tracks. Peril is another one that sticks out, the name suggest a dismal setting, something filled with despair, but the actual track is composed of really sharp, almost sprightly cords.

Neil Davidge also ties all these tracks in without them being boring, repetitive, or predictable. The songs on this soundtrack all serve a purpose, to bring to to a place of specific emotion.

To be frank, Neil's work almost makes Halo 2's feel like an over-the-top, corny, sci-fi movie in comparison. It's impressive to say the least.

On Arrival, you get this feeling of gloom, of struggle, but there's this sense of a brighter horizon, of something on the way. It's inspirationally haunting. It almost gives you this sense of fighting a losing battle but persevering through that struggle. There's also some really nice "techy" effects that come into play around the 3:00 minute mark that tie in the feeling of these organic, human cords with that of a Promethean, alien aversion. The track ends with this big sigh of relief, and you literally feel this weight lift off your shoulders as the strings play you out, but not without a slight change in their tone that leaves you with this uneasy feeling towards the end.

Honestly I think this soundtrack will bring so much more emotion to the Halo 4 campaign than people were initially expecting. It serves as this nice, linear thread that will provide the campaign with a consistency, which I think can be fairly compared to the off-shoot ODST title. Only the Halo 4 soundtrack does it on so much more of a larger, more epic scale.

This thread isn't going fast enough... I'm sitting bored in an Orientation to Computer Science class after having been a Computer Programmer in the Air Force. *blah*

"OK class, computers store everything using 1's and 0's. I'm only telling you this because datatype sizes are measured in bits/bytes and you'll use datatypes in our lesson in a few weeks but otherwise we won't teach you any truly useful things you can do with that information until a couple courses later. Now technically, this is Orientation to Computer Science, so most of what we do will be theory and, at an absolute most, pseudo-code. When we finally get down to actually programming, we'll spend about 5 lessons talking about syntax for whatever language I decide you need to know first (likely Java) before you ever type anything. Then, we'll spend an entire class building a simple hello world program and discussing why you have to type 'System.out.println' because some dipshit still doesn't get Java's syntax and Object system."

That about cover it?

If you're allowed to discuss any of it (assuming no FOUO/Classification issues), can I ask what they had you programming in the AF without a degree/cert (assumption since you're now in school for it)? As a civilian in my squadron, Bachelor's with an engineering degree is almost a must just to get hired.

The thing I love about Neil Davidge's work on the Halo 4 OST is its cohesiveness. Not a single track feels out of place. They all have a similar "feel" but express a very different emotion. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest fan of Halo's music, I loved the main score in 1 and 2, but the other tracks always seemed more just "there" and were there to create an emotion, void of a consistent genre or thread.

I think this OST has a great direction. It feels like a well produced album would feel. There's different tracks, with different emotions, but it all feels like the same "artist," so to speak.

Looking back at Halo 2's soundtrack, the song "Unforgotten" comes to mind as one of those tracks I enjoyed, but didn't mesh well with the whole feel of the other tracks. Peril is another one that sticks out, the name suggest a dismal setting, something filled with despair, but the actual track is composed of really sharp, almost sprightly cords.

Neil Davidge also ties all these tracks in without them being boring, repetitive, or predictable. The songs on this soundtrack all serve a purpose, to bring to to a place of specific emotion.

To be frank, Neil's work almost makes Halo 2's feel like an over-the-top, corny, sci-fi movie in comparison. It's impressive to say the least.

On Arrival, you get this feeling of gloom, of struggle, but there's this sense of a brighter horizon, of something on the way. It's inspirationally haunting. It almost gives you this sense of fighting a losing battle but persevering through that struggle. There's also some really nice "techy" effects that come into play around the 3:00 minute mark that tie in the feeling of these organic, human cords with that of a Promethean, alien aversion. The track ends with this big sigh of relief, and you literally feel this weight lift off your shoulders as the strings play you out, but not without a slight change in their tone that leaves you with this uneasy feeling towards the end.

Honestly I think this soundtrack will bring so much more emotion to the Halo 4 campaign than people were initially expecting. It serves as this nice, linear thread that will provide the campaign with a consistency, which I think can be fairly compared to the off-shoot ODST title. Only the Halo 4 soundtrack does it on so much more of a larger, more epic scale.
That's a good post and I approve it.

I am still bummed about the whole extra tracks fiasco. Armour is the PAX Prime Concept art track which I was personally looking forward too but it is not part of the limited edition ost. I am paying about $80 but do not get every track? =/

Tawpgun

Haven't listened to the full OST yet, but from what I hard it sounded awesome.

But really generic at the same time. Marty's score was very recognizable and unique. I don't know what it is about it, but even ODST music, when you heard it, you were like "Yup, this is Marty"

This seems much more grand and orchestral, something you'd find in a summer blockbuster movie

But I'm waiting to hear it in game before I judge.

"OK class, computers store everything using 1's and 0's. I'm only telling you this because datatype sizes are measured in bits/bytes and you'll use datatypes in our lesson in a few weeks but otherwise we won't teach you any truly useful things you can do with that information until a couple courses later. Now technically, this is Orientation to Computer Science, so most of what we do will be theory and, at an absolute most, pseudo-code. When we finally get down to actually programming, we'll spend about 5 lessons talking about syntax for whatever language I decide you need to know first (likely Java) before you ever type anything. Then, we'll spend an entire class building a simple hello world program and discussing why you have to type 'System.out.println' because some dipshit still doesn't get Java's syntax and Object system."

That about cover it?

If you're allowed to discuss any of it (assuming no FOUO/Classification issues), can I ask what they had you programming in the AF without a degree/cert (assumption since you're now in school for it)? As a civilian in my squadron, Bachelor's with an engineering degree is almost a must just to get hired.

It's actually worse than that... lol. I'll get back to this post when I get home in about an hour. Class is over in 15.

So I haven't replayed Halo 2 since 2006. Is it worth going back to in preparation for Halo 4? I'm listening to the soundtrack now and it's giving me the urge, but I don't have fond memories. Anyone with fresher eyes want to comment?

SLRRRRRRPPP

Oh, please. I hadn't listened to it in a while because my impressions weren't all that good, but I decided to give it another shot, and Arrival, along with every other H4 soundtrack that I've heard, is still a mediocre to above average, highly generic piece.

It is nowhere near ODST's level.

TCKaos

This is like vaguest thread I have ever seen, like it makes no sense at all. I don't even care if it's only about Halo, if it was for any other big name titles I would feel the same.

Yesterday we had a thread about how Bungie is scum/the devil for having a bunch of their playlists be DLC required, and anyone who supports such a measure is helping them rub one off on our chin, or something to that effect with almost-as fiery rhetoric.

nillapuddin

So I haven't replayed Halo 2 since 2006. Is it worth going back to in preparation for Halo 4? I'm listening to the soundtrack now and it's giving me the urge, but I don't have fond memories. Anyone with fresher eyes want to comment?

worth every second
do it

u4iX

I would play up to the part where Sgt. Johnson says "WE GOT JACKALS IN THE COURTYARD."

That's really the crescendo of the game for me.

Redford

aka Cabbie
But really generic at the same time. Marty's score was very recognizable and unique. I don't know what it is about it, but even ODST music, when you heard it, you were like "Yup, this is Marty"

This seems much more grand and orchestral, something you'd find in a summer blockbuster movie

This is basically the way I feel about it.

All I feel like saying about this is, don't play it on Legendary.

TheOddOne

Yesterday we had a thread about how Bungie is scum/the devil for having a bunch of their playlists be DLC required, and anyone who supports such a measure is helping them rub one off on our chin, or something to that effect with almost-as fiery rhetoric.
Sometimes I just feel that regularGAF gets off on rage. They hate everything, there is only black and white. Sometimes I feel I'm talking to a brick wall over there.

daedalius

Oh, please. I hadn't listened to it in a while because my impressions weren't all that good, but I decided to give it another shot, and Arrival, along with every other H4 soundtrack that I've heard, is still a mediocre to above average, highly generic piece.

It is nowhere near ODST's level.

Thankfully, music and art are subjective, and all of us can decide how close the H4 OST is to ODST's soundtrack...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Pop in Halo Legends, go into special features and listen to "the story up to now" or whatever the shit it's called.

It takes you from the beginning all the way up to the end of Halo 3.

Bam done. Plus you get sweet sweet pillow talk from Frank as he tries to seduce you and insert a needle rifle in your *Redacted*

Haven't listened to the full OST yet, but from what I hard it sounded awesome.

The OST has some pretty incredible stuff which you would not hear in a summer blockbuster movie (e.g. Green and Blue, Solace, Armour). Those tracks are incredible and I cannot wait to hear their use in the game. Overall I think the OST is very surprising. And I'd definitely say it is much better than Reach's OST. Throughout my listening the OST gave me the feeling, Neil wanted to play safe and didn't experiment too much. There are basic approaches in some tracks(mostly those I mentioned above). That's the reason I am looking forward to the OST of Halo 5 or 6 if he still going to do it.

I hope 343i is planning to release Tajeen's work. I do want to hear his approach and 4's vision of our beloved Marty tracks.

Thankfully, music and art are subjective, and all of us can decide how close the H4 OST is to ODST's soundtrack...

I'm glad you said that. I was just about to say the almost the exact same thing.

Personally, I absolutely love the style of the soundtrack. I enjoy big sounds, and a good mixture of electronics into the orchestra. It gives me pretty much exactly what I want. Plus, there are very strong melodies in most of the pieces.

ODST was kind of "meh" for me. Memorable, yes, but I didn't enjoy listening to most of the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom