• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Thankfully, music and art are subjective, and all of us can decide how close the H4 OST is to ODST's soundtrack...

So if I went outside, took a shit, smashed it with a hammer across concrete, all while recording it and slapped the Halo 4 OST as the title, there is the potential it won't be shit? I call bullshit on that one.

TCKaos

I would play up to the part where Sgt. Johnson says "WE GOT JACKALS IN THE COURTYARD."

That's really the crescendo of the game for me.

Yeah, about there. I finish Metropolis and then forget about the rest of the game. I've been chugging through it at a snail's pace on PC but the port has so many wonky frame-rate problems that it's nearly impossible to play. I can get through Halo CE with Open Sauce but I can't get through vanilla H2V without my computer shitting itself and vomiting.

I can't think of any truly awesome gameplay moments after finishing The Oracle besides fighting Tartarus anyway.

u4iX

Oh, please. I hadn't listened to it in a while because my impressions weren't all that good, but I decided to give it another shot, and Arrival, along with every other H4 soundtrack that I've heard, is still a mediocre to above average, highly generic piece.

It is nowhere near ODST's level.

The tracks feel much more complex and interesting to me than a "mediocre to above average, highly generic piece." The bass isn't overly heavy, and there isn't a played out "wub wub." The strings, which to me is what made the Halo soundtracks stand out, are still there, and they're structured so much better than a generic, mediocre piece like a CoD or BF3. The strings take center stage in most of these tracks, while the more technical Massive Attack influences accent the tracks, and the bass comes in and doesn't overpower the strings or even the accents, but more so sets the mood and drives the score as opposed to just "wubbing" in your eardrums for 5 minutes.

I think what makes the ODST soundtrack come together is it's simplicity while staying cohesive, and what makes the Halo 4 soundtrack come together is it's complexity while staying cohesive.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, just accidentally got spoiled in the gaming side thread. Small one, but still. Dammit.
LLShC.gif

TheOddOne

The tracks feel much more complex and interesting to me than a "mediocre to above average, highly generic piece." The bass isn't overly heavy, and there isn't a played out "wub wub." The strings, which to me is what made the Halo soundtracks stand out, are still there, and they're structured so much better than a generic, mediocre pieced like a CoD or BF3. The strings take center stage in most of these tracks, while the more technical Massive Attack influences accent the tracks, and the bass comes in and doesn't overpower the strings or even the accents, but more so sets the mood and drives the score as opposed to just "wubbing" in your eardrums for 5 minutes.
What an eloquent way to describe one of the OST's streights.

Didn't Waypoint already try this with ATLAS?

Ah, you're right.

The cool part of that app that I thought would be nice to have for Halo was the map overheads with where the weapons spawn, but I just checked at Atlas actually has that as well.

I never would have paid for Atlas, free for Windows Phone users.

I've done it twice in my life. Never again. It sucks, too, cause Heroic is slightly too easy, I feel like. But only a little.
Yep, same here. I feel like Bungie really didn't know how to balance the difficulty with the lack of a health bar.

Those snipers..
:lol Them and dual wielding Elites. Dying to a .25 second burst fire is so not fun, and you can't outdraw that either unless you have a sniper.

TCKaos

Didn't Waypoint already try this with ATLAS?

Well, from what I can tell that app lets you explore the map. ATLAS let you see where you and your teammates were in nearly real-time as well as weapon spawns.

There was enough of a delay on it to where it honestly wasn't worth the trouble. If you're tacticool enough to buy what amounts to a direct link to SATCOM then you should be tactical enough to have teammates that render the purchase of said link obsolete through use of actual communication skills.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Blops2 has an amazing spectator mode, one that Halo absolutely needs.

Realtime options to toggle what you see; Whether it be waypoints or names above heads or even the perks of the individual you're spectating. Can also switch from 1st person to overhead map view, it was pretty cool to watch that footage... i think it was either a PAX or gamescon.

I don't know how many of you played killzone 3. But the map replay they had in that was amazing. I wish more games had that.

Yeah it was a terrific feature. Unfortunately for Killzone, it followed the new trend of dumbing itself down to appeal to a "wider audience", ruining what it had going for it in 2. Sad times indeed.

TheOddOne

Blops2 has an amazing spectator mode, one that Halo absolutely needs.

Realtime options to toggle what you see; Whether it be waypoints or names above heads or even the perks of the individual you're spectating. Can also switch from 1st person to overhead map view, it was pretty cool to watch that footage... i think it was either a PAX or gamescon.
Yeah, it really looks great. Shame I can't stand twitch shooting anymore :(

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Dusted off H3 MP today... so many performance issues. I can't remember if it was always like that, but yeah, that experiment is probably over.

10 games made Reach's DMR seem like a surgeon's tool, even with full bloom.

Pretty much sitting here like a 5-year old that can't sleep on Christmas Eve. So ready for H4.

Dammit, you made me watch the galaxy s3 commercial!

I heard we're finally getting all the features we didn't get last time.

Dusted off H3 MP today... so many performance issues. I can't remember if it was always like that, but yeah, that experiment is probably over.

10 games made Reach's DMR seem like a surgeon's tool, even with full bloom.

Pretty much sitting here like a 5-year old that can't sleep on Christmas Eve. So ready for H4.

Could not agree more. Unless you were host (hell, even then), H3's online is just not as enjoyable. You never feel like you truly won any battles.

zlatko

Banned
Okay so who put the "An Ancient Evil Awakens" (forerunner I'm guessing?) Emblem on everyone's avatars? I want to do it too and be part of the cool kids club! :(

Monster stream reminds me how stupid and often these 4-vs-1 situations happen in Halo Reach. There's always that ONE guy who wants to stick it out, even though the score is 34-7 or some shit

Thank god for Join-In Progress

Monster stream reminds me how stupid and often these 4-vs-1 situations happen in Halo Reach. There's always that ONE guy who wants to stick it out, even though the score is 34-7 or some shit

I'm not going to quit because my teammates quit. Time to put the team on my shoulders.

Tunavi

Banned

ruined 25 percent of my reach games.

all hail JIP

daedalius

I've had a countless amount of games ruined by quitters, on both sides.

Its no fun when the entire opposite team quits either, and you have 15 minutes of driving around a warthog on an empty map because you're so bored.

Das Kalk

Neo Member
I just got an email with a GIF, no other information... It's just fading from the Didact symbol to #EvilAwakens... anyone else get the email?

It's not my fault that they quit. There's no reason I should get punished with a quit ban for fair-weather randoms.

Let's put it this way: quit-ban? 15 minutes. Just you and that's only IF you get one. 1v4 shit doesn't happen that often. You staying in the game and still losing? 15 minutes. You plus the other team who would prefer to just get it over with so everyone can just get on with another game already. You're making a conscious choice to waste other people's time who had no part in your predicament. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom