• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people in that gaming side thread saying Spartan Ops is free DLC? Aren't we paying for it when we buy Halo 4? Just because we get the missions later doesn't mean they are free.

I'm not going to quit because my teammates quit. Time to put the team on my shoulders.

Yea if you're not in a ranked game this is a complete dick-move. You are being the opposite of honorable by making a whole other team wait around for you to lose because your team sucked.

blamite

Guys, are you going to upgrade to Windows 8? I'm counting down the days until Friday...

I got it for free about a month ago via Dreamspark. It's alright, not a big change from 7 in more ways than not. The metro stuff really has no impact at all on how I use my computer 97% of the time.

blamite

I don't even get Xbox emails anymore. I used to get that newsletter thing they sent out every so often, but after a certain point it just stopped altogether. I'm signed up for it with the correct email and everything. No mysterious emails for me, I guess?

Karl2177

Let's put it this way: quit-ban? 15 minutes. Just you and that's only IF you get one. 1v4 shit doesn't happen that often. You staying in the game and still losing? 15 minutes. You plus the other team who would prefer to just get it over with so everyone can just get on with another game already. You're making a conscious choice to waste other people's time who had no part in your predicament. Congratulations.
Reach's quit ban is as consistent as the booting system. You'll quit or betray once and get nailed by it or you'll quit betray 20 times and get nothing. I don't want the game to punish me for doing the right thing and quitting just because it's feeling touchy. And I'll rush the opponents to end it faster or if they suck, take it as a challenge. I understand your point ExWife, but the consistency of Reach's ban system outweighs both the negatives and positives of just simply quitting. If it were Halo 3, it would be a different story.

Duuim.gif

I have gotten through the OST. I would not call it generic. It is a change from Marty for sure. This alone will make it feel like an entirely new series. Hopefully OST SPOILER:
The game has more of the iconic themes in it, sure you can launch a new trilogy ala Star Wars but the Star Wars theme remains the same, you should just compliment it.

Homeboyd

Why did they change it to a one post OT again? I understand limiting the ones that were like 92 posts long.. but one? Give me 3 at least.

IHaveIce

Banned
I like how they just say EvilAwakens, and thats the whole ARG because H4 has no features.

Because ARGs are about the features of games, right?

Watching Fracas stream I remember why I stopped playing Reach for a while.
Jetpack, Nuke nades and more. So good. ..

Guys, guys, I made it to the thread, now everything is complete, don't worry.

You can almost touch it!

i2DcRASsFIBMt.gif

So good.

Speaking of Peril from the Halo 2 OST -- the London Philharmonic Orchestra (they did LotR among other stuff) has made another vg cover album.

Never Forget/Peril is the free taster track.

It's nice.

Nice! Thanks for posting this, downloaded and listening now.

evil85stj.gif

#AncientEvil

Pokeball.

But is that real?

RvB!

Capture_zpsfc9d4b5a.png

Redeem yourselves

Armor looks weirrrdddd. Still, I hope they embrace the Halo 4 engine. Just too bad there aren't things like Falcons or Hornets for them to mess with.

Reach's quit ban is as consistent as the booting system. You'll quit or betray once and get nailed by it or you'll quit betray 20 times and get nothing. I don't want the game to punish me for doing the right thing and quitting just because it's feeling touchy. And I'll rush the opponents to end it faster or if they suck, take it as a challenge. I understand your point ExWife, but the consistency of Reach's ban system outweighs both the negatives and positives of just simply quitting. If it were Halo 3, it would be a different story.

Never had a single quit ban in my life and I've quit/lagged out/been booted plenty of times. Same with everyone I play with regularly. The only people that get those on anything close to a regular basis (in my experience) are friends who would quit firefight matches trying to get certain maps for challenges (not kidding).

The problem is, people don't "rush the opponents." In almost every case, they hide or just go AFK. Total dick move everytime. In every case, including your description, you're wasting the time of people that (presumably) did nothing to you, because there's a *chance* you might have to wait 15 minutes before the next match.

At least you didn't use the "BUT THEN I DON'T GET MY cR!!!!" argument, I suppose.
yhVBY.gif

Never had a single quit ban in my life and I've quit/lagged out/been booted plenty of times. Same with everyone I play with regularly. The only people that get those on anything close to a regular basis (in my experience) are friends who would quit firefight matches trying to get certain maps for challenges (not kidding).

The problem is, people don't "rush the opponents." In almost every case, they hide or just go AFK. Total dick move everytime. In every case, including your description, you're wasting the time of people that (presumably) did nothing to you, because there's a *chance* you might have to wait 15 minutes before the next match.

At least you didn't use the "BUT THEN I DON'T GET MY cR!!!!" argument, I suppose.

http://i.imgur.com/yhVBY.gif

I've done my fair share of quitting in Reach (all dem Rocket race and elite sayer games) and you get a probationary warning prior to a ban. You know then if you quit again, you sit out for ten minutes.

Ronabo

First to PM me gets a Double XP code for Halo 4.

edit:GONE

Kinda funny I posted at the same time as above. Rather weird.

"OK class, computers store everything using 1's and 0's. I'm only telling you this because datatype sizes are measured in bits/bytes and you'll use datatypes in our lesson in a few weeks but otherwise we won't teach you any truly useful things you can do with that information until a couple courses later. Now technically, this is Orientation to Computer Science, so most of what we do will be theory and, at an absolute most, pseudo-code. When we finally get down to actually programming, we'll spend about 5 lessons talking about syntax for whatever language I decide you need to know first (likely Java) before you ever type anything. Then, we'll spend an entire class building a simple hello world program and discussing why you have to type 'System.out.println' because some dipshit still doesn't get Java's syntax and Object system."

That about cover it?

If you're allowed to discuss any of it (assuming no FOUO/Classification issues), can I ask what they had you programming in the AF without a degree/cert (assumption since you're now in school for it)? As a civilian in my squadron, Bachelor's with an engineering degree is almost a must just to get hired.

Alright so I'm finally home and able to address this. :)

First of all Orientation of Comp Sci is currently focusing on binary/octal/hexadec math, logic gates, RGB values in images, basic compression, mainframes, machine language, current comp sci topics, etc. It is all very basic intro to stuff. We just started doing programming, but not even anything special. It is a "hold your hand" programming "language"/IDE called Alice. It is one of those "pick a statement, fill in the blank, watch cool stuff on screen" with a lot of premade functions, objects, etc. Kinda like Game Maker, but feels a lot more basic. Kind of ridiculous.

As for what I did in the AF; anybody who places high enough on the logic test (forgot the name of it) can be a programmer. Then after BASIC you go to a technical school where they teach you everything you need to know about programming, when I went through it was with Visual Basic... nowadays they are using C#. This course is only 10 weeks long. Then you go to your first base and you spend your first 6 months to a year in On-The-Job training (OJT) where they make you study generic comp sci books and test out of it. While doing that you are trained on the actual language you are supposed to be using for your shop. It is differs from shop to shop. Some use Perl, Cobol, C#, Java, Python, etc. Really depends.

I personally worked on Java/JS, C#, and a lot of SQL. My last shop I worked with the DBAs mainly as I was responsible for the reporting part of our project. So yeah... no Cert/Degree required... it was all OJT and tech school. I've personally been programming since I was 14 (so like a decade now), but my main goal is to break into the gaming industry in the design department (hence all the work on Forge and Custom Gametypes). I got out thinking it shouldn't be hard to get a job with my skillset and boy was I wrong... so after almost two years of unemployment I was pushed into the decision of using my GI bill in tandem with my unemployment (we have a special Unemployment that you can use while going to school for training). Now my unemployment looks to be all used up and I'm in for a rough financial ride. *shivers*

If anyone out there is looking to employ me, then soon would make my world... lol. But yeah, this class is just required for my Comp Simulation/Game Development Associates at my community college. I never realized how easy community college was... ;)

Fuchsdh

Why are so many people in that gaming side thread saying Spartan Ops is free DLC? Aren't we paying for it when we buy Halo 4? Just because we get the missions later doesn't mean they are free.

I dunno. I can see you calling it "free" in the sense that its a tremendous value-add over what people usually get from a $60 title, and over previous Halo games (essentially another lighter-story, heavier co-op play campaign.)

I've done my fair share of quitting in Reach (all dem Rocket race and elite sayer games) and you get a probationary warning prior to a ban. You know then if you quit again, you sit out for ten minutes.

Also, this. The game can't simultaneously give you a warning beforehand *and* be crazy inconsistent.

BigShow36

I dunno. I can see you calling it "free" in the sense that its a tremendous value-add over what people usually get from a $60 title, and over previous Halo games (essentially another lighter-story, heavier co-op play campaign.)

Well considering that they removed FF for SO, it's more like value-replacement rather than value-added.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well considering that they removed FF for SO, it's more like value-replacement rather than value-added.

I think that depends on who you're talking to. I didn't really play Firefight even though I enjoyed it occasionally but Spartan Ops is certainly value added to me.

BigShow36

I think that depends on who you're talking to. I didn't really play Firefight even though I enjoyed it occasionally but Spartan Ops is certainly value added to me.

I also never played FF, but I also don't see myself playing Spartan Ops either. The point is that it's replacing content.

Me too. I just hope that they are not afraid of using the hologram room in the Infinity to set up more abstract spec ops missions here and there - would be awesome to get the kind of variety spec ops in CoD gives you.

A few spec ops missions which involve defending a position for X time or X waves would scratch that Firefight itch for me anyway.

Yea if you're not in a ranked game this is a complete dick-move. You are being the opposite of honorable by making a whole other team wait around for you to lose because your team sucked.

Let me make a few things clear:

- I'm not talking about cowering in a corner for 10 minutes.
- I'm not suggesting that it's honorable.

I do not see why it's a dick move for me to try to win a game when my teammates leave. Do I often win? No. But I like the challenge.

Why should the lone man get ridiculed if he's not being a troll about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom