• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disconect

Neo Member
Halo Reach:
The good
Netcode, hitscan, feedback, ZBNS MLG

The bad
Bloom, shitty maps, jetpack, armor lock, camo AA, sprint, loadouts and AR starts

Halo 3:
The good
Agility, some excellent maps, BTB I guess?

The bad
Spread, non-hit scan BR, bubble shield, regenerator, flare, turd movement speed, AR starts

Halo 2:
The good
Mostly godlike maps, it was an arena shooter first, hitscan, agility, movement speed, objective gametypes that made sense

The bad
Hackers, cheaters, boosters, modders, glitchers, SMG starts

Halo 1:
The good
Driving warthogs at each other at full speed on Blood Gulch to see how high they would fly up in the air

What about H4 ?
Ps Glitching was nice in H2 ;)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Against a decent player with situational awareness and 3SK pistol then yes. More often than not the 3SK would win out.

For my brother and I we'd often make an honour rule to not use the pistol so we could play with the other weapons. Once someone started losing badly the pistol fights would break out again.

Same with 2v2 or 4v4. Do you even understand what team shooting with a 3sk pistol does? The weapons was far too overpowered. Fun for a while but ultimately a boring game, just like instant kill FPS's (for me anyway).

Agreed. It actually plays a lot like CoD

Nowise10

Got a bottle of game fuel today. What did they do to that beautiful stuff? It tastes so watered down

anyway I don't care about double xp, code is in email tags, quote to see

Okay last post for tonight, I actually agree with you, like you dont really even taste it that much.

Its weird. However I still enjoy it.

Fotos

Halo 1:
The good
Driving warthogs at each other at full speed on Blood Gulch to see how high they would fly up in the air

Hahaha me and my brother would go on Sidewinder and drive full speed at each other on the ice and fly in the air all the time. Good times.

So, this is the current state of DXP in my town. FML

https://twitter.com/XBLYourExWife/status/261636880108515330/photo/1/large

dBfYh.gif

orznge

Banned
Against a decent player with situational awareness and 3SK pistol then yes. More often than not the 3SK would win out.

For my brother and I we'd often make an honour rule to not use the pistol so we could play with the other weapons. Once someone started losing badly the pistol fights would break out again.

Same with 2v2 or 4v4. Do you even understand what team shooting with a 3sk pistol does? The weapons was far too overpowered. Fun for a while but ultimately a boring game, just like instant kill FPS's (for me anyway).

I don't understand at all actually, how the guy who is throwing unironic Star Wars-based condescension at me is able to extrapolate either absolute fantasy or the narrow experiences of playing with a tiny social group to the game being played competently

orznge

Banned
Halo CE? Boring. Mastered that shit. Me, my brother, and my childhood friends from down the block sat around one afternoon and drew up a design document that proves objectively that it's basically UT99 instagib without dodging and 50% move speed.

I don't understand at all actually, how the guy who is throwing unironic Star Wars-based condescension at me is able to extrapolate either absolute fantasy or the narrow experiences of playing with a tiny social group to the game being played competently

I don't like to bicker without actual content to debate nor do I like to fill a thread with spam responses mate. You want to post a one word of "wrong" expect a backlash.

Fine we agree to disagree, good day sir.

Agreed, it mostly just turned into whoever spotted the other guy first. I saw they had a shotgun I'd grenade and 3sk. I saw they had a sniper, just ping them while attempting 3/4/5SK.

I prefer the longer kill times of all post CE Halo games. Sure I loved a lot CE had to offer but it isn't the very best Halo has to offer, for me anyhow.

orznge's posts are sparse but always great.

But yeah CE pistol wasn't overpowered just super versatile. It made the power weapons fit a niche rather than completely dominate. Besides, just about everything was absurdly powerful in that game. The aim assist made all the difference, if you're clouding the CE pistol in your mind with all the magnetism and AA from Halo 2 onward, then yeah it would be braindead, but the game required some clutch aim and maneuvering.

BigShow36

Yeah right, one weapon that can cross map kill a sniper, take out a rocket guy before he turns and gets a shot off or kill an approaching player trying to melee etc.

The 3sk pistol got boring and reduced the entire sandbox to one GOD weapon. Very OP!

Nerf it long range and perhaps mid/long then make it 4sk and the same skill curve as a the CE 3sk and I'd be fine with it in the Halo 4 sandbox actually.

That has to be the limit though when comparing it to the rest of the sandbox precision weapons.

Not really; once you got to a high enough skill level, every weapon in the sandbox was useful (aside from the Needler). Was the pistol used more often? Of course, it was the utitliy weapon, but in every situation, there was a better weapon.

The pistol allowed the player to be the determining factor in a battle, not just what weapon each player happened to be wielding. Think about it; the shotgun, melee, sniper, and rockets were all more powerful than the pistol. The plasma weapons could easily beat the pistol from a flanking attack.

The variety in CE came from the actual gameplay, not superficial weapon skins.

No. Just, no.

orznge

Banned
I'm definitely not making any effortposts when literally every point I make is going to be met with "actually, X weapon is not effective because of the Pistol"

meanwhile all of the smart, skilled players are playing Halo CE with AR starts so we can make great moments like "This isn't Rainbow Six!" happen lol

Not really; once you got to a high enough skill level, every weapon in the sandbox was useful (aside from the Needler). Was the pistol used more often? Of course, it was the utitliy weapon, but in every situation, there was a better weapon.

The pistol allowed the player to be the determining factor in a battle, not just what weapon each player happened to be weilding.

The variety in CE came from the actual gameplay, not superficial weapon skins.

No. Just, no.

Your answer is ambiguous at best mate. First you say the pistol is use more often then you go on to say there is diversity in the weapons? Which is it?

If there was statistics like we have for player weapons in post CE games you would see just how seriously OP the 3SK was. Any player that played for more than a few months and gain the "higher skill level" would have the pistol as their number one weapon by many magnitudes over any other weapon in the sandbox, including melee or grenades even.

Say 343i do a CE multiplayer remake and make it 3SK...with the nature of online play you'd have basically instant kills. Players further from host are basically dead before they even realise they've been shot the first time. Players always forget the nature of online play when they tout CE/pistol.

If there was statistics like we have for player weapons in post CE games you would see just how seriously OP the 3SK was. Any player that played for more than a few months and gain the "higher skill level" would have the pistol as their number one weapon by many magnitudes over any other weapon in the sandbox, including melee or grenades even.
I guess that wouldn't be because the pistol is a starting weapon and always present while power weapons are more limited in use but more powerful in their niches or anything.

But y'know, you're right. A shotgun, sniper and rocket can one shot me, but 3sk is overpowered. They're better off ignored.

orznge

Banned
Your answer is ambiguous at best mate. First you say the pistol is use more often then you go on to say there is diversity in the weapons? Which is it?

It's actually not ambiguous at all. The PR and shotgun outright beat the pistol at close range and the AR is very easy to overwhelm someone with. I shouldn't even have to mention why the RL and sniper can be so effective.

Here's the part where you hit the reply button and then type some self-insert examples like "people have been inches away from me thousands of times with the PR and I just turn and 3SK them, too easy."

Top 10:
  1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 1
  3. Halo 3
  4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  5. Super Smash Bros Meele
  6. Bioshock
  7. Ocarina of Time
  8. Fallout 3
  9. A Link to the Past
  10. Gears of War

There is no other list.

I guess that wouldn't be because the pistol is a starting weapon and always present while power weapons are more limited in use but more powerful in their niches or anything.

But y'know, you're right. A shotgun, sniper and rocket can one shot me, but 3sk is overpowered. They're better off ignored.

That's just it, take what you're saying and factor in the pistol now...you can take on a shotgun by flushing them out of camping or staying more than a few feet away. The sniper can be pinged out at basically an range and killed before they barely have time to switch weapons. Rockets are generally easily avoided by skilled players anyhow but with 3SK at any range it just makes it even easier.

Again it comes back to what a skilled player does with their situational knowledge and decision making. The 3SK basically gives them the counter to any range, any power weapon and it's a seriously fast kill.

Sure power weapons get kills but again compare this to the "utility 3SK", all other weapons on their own become niche weapons where the pistol is going to win approx. 8/10 times. Give or take 1/2 for situations/skills of players and maps.

It's actually not ambiguous at all. The PR and shotgun outright beat the pistol at close range and the AR is very easy to overwhelm someone with. I shouldn't even have to mention why the RL and sniper can be so effective.

Here's the part where you hit the reply button and then type some self-insert examples like "people have been inches away from me thousands of times with the PR and I just turn and 3SK them, too easy."

I'm quite aware of the CE plasma rifle stun effect, I'd like it to return in fact. But again this was a rare niche occurrence compared to simply 3/4SK a player you spot first at mid/long range.

Top 10:
  1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 1
  3. Halo 3
  6. Bioshock
  7. Ocarina of Time
  8. Fallout 3
  9. A Link to the Past
  10. Gears of War

There is no other list.
Your edit to add in that bit at the end makes me want to go super hipster elitist but I'm too blue daba de daba di for that at the moment so all I'll say is broaden your horizons past the shootbang and consoles some more.

That's just it, take what you're saying and factor in the pistol now...you can take on a shotgun by flushing them out of camping or staying more than a few feet away. The sniper can be pinged out at basically an range and killed before they barely have time to switch weapons. Rockets are generally easily avoided by skilled players anyhow but with 3SK at any range it just makes it even easier.

Again it comes back to what a skilled player does with their situational knowledge and decision making. The 3SK basically gives them the counter to any range, any power weapon and it's a seriously fast kill.

Sure power weapons get kills but again compare this to the "utility 3SK", all other weapons on their own become niche weapons where the pistol is going to win approx. 8/10 times. Give or take 1/2 for situations/skills of players and maps.
Okay, I factored in the pistol. I shot him beyond splash range with the rockets before he could get off three shots. I could shoot his head once to get a kill with a sniper rifle at super long range. The shotgun had some absurd range for what it was too. You're just going to continue to say that it's possible for the pistol to counter, but if it's possible for skill to avoid those power weapons, it's just as possible to have three times the chance to avoid those pistol shots.

orznge

Banned

Thank you for the concrete statistics on your findings.

Vire

Top 10:
  1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 1
  3. Halo 3
  6. Bioshock
  7. Ocarina of Time
  8. Fallout 3
  9. A Link to the Past
  10. Gears of War

There is no other list.

How old are you by chance?...

A list without Super Mario Bros 3. is incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom