• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely appreciate the teamwork, practice and skill these guys/gals have, kudos you're all very skilled. However I have no interest in watching/playing MLG settings and boring forge maps with condensed gameplay.

Bring me some creative Halo gameplay and I'll watch that moreover. I prefer free form roaming Halo over repetitive setups or memorisation of grenade throws etc.

Just my opinion but thanks for the feed to watch some mad skills at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Pop

Of course I expect that response, apparently if you don't like MLG your opinion is somehow wrong on something that is completely subjective. Whatever mate.

So MLG isn't creative enough now and apparently to repetitive. Hmm o_O

I'm guessing skilled matches isn't at the top of your gaming priorities.

So MLG isn't creative enough now and apparently to repetitive. Hmm o_O

I'm guessing skilled matches isn't at the top of your gaming priorities.

Obviously you haven't read anything I wrote. I played Halo 3 ranked objective at 50 level for a loooong time. I also played Halo 2 clan matches etc.

I've never liked MLG settings -

1. No vehicles

2. Lacks the entire sandbox or at least 80% of it etc.

3. MLG maps are generally small maps with an intense focus. What's wrong with asymmetrical maps or large maps exactly?

4. Spawn trapping/killing, I just don't enjoy this part of MLG at all.

5. Just because it isn't MLG doesn't automatically make it not competitive or no skill.

6. No radar and stealth based gameplay akin to default Halo.

7. No assault.

I totally understand the team and individual skills MLG players/teams have and I highly respect that level of play. I also understand why MLG want a base condensed set of maps and gameplay for predictable competitive results. Personally I don't agree but I'm not bashing the MLG, I respect the skilled/pro players/teams immensely.

However to reversely suggest "default Halo" isn't skilled or competitive is just silly.

Just givin you a bad time man. These statements though, I lol'd. Like you said though, your opinion.

I prefer free form roaming Halo
mad skills at work.

No worries, I tend not to stress over Halo. It's a hobby or my down time gaming for me, probably the main reason I don't like MLG as I don't want to memorise spawn traps, callouts and always play with a regular team etc. I enjoy the "crazy shit that happens" in default Halo.

I watched Tashi and team for a bit and yes a great all rounder, senses when to fight and when to flee, hardly ever misses a shot, communicates well, callouts, doesn't waste sniper shots when disadvantaged etc etc. Mad Skills.

Of course I expect that response, apparently if you don't like MLG your opinion is somehow wrong on something that is completely subjective. Whatever mate.

Just givin you a bad time man. Like you said though, your opinion. These statements made me lol.
I prefer free form roaming Halo
mad skills at work.

Hey Freeser, cool avatar.

Freeser

Obviously you haven't read anything I wrote. I played Halo 3 ranked objective at 50 level for a loooong time. I also played Halo 2 clan matches etc.

1. No vehicles

3. MLG maps are generally small maps with an intense focus. What's wrong with asymmetrical maps or large maps exactly?

5. Just because it isn't MLG doesn't automatically make it not competitive or no skill.

7. No assault.

I totally understand the team and individual skills MLG players/teams have and I highly respect that level of play. I also understand why MLG want a base condensed set of maps and gameplay for predictable competitive results. Personally I don't agree but I'm not bashing the MLG, I respect the skilled/pro players/teams immensely.

However to reversely suggest "default Halo" isn't skilled or competitive is just silly.

1. Vehicles take little to no skill.

2. Why clutter the map with weapons that skilled players will not use?

3. While I agree with most of this I believe smaller, more symmetrical, maps tend to test skill better.

4. I agree.

5. This is also true but it is like comparing college athletics to pro athletics. Some people can thrive in "default Halo" but most are not on the same par as top MLG players.

6. I tend to like "default halo" better when it comes to this but I do not think it takes more skill with a radar.

7. While assault is fun, CTF is much more dynamic than assault, therefore plays at higher level.

Disclaimer: I am a mediocre (at best) player. Level 46 TS Halo 3 - Level 31 TS Halo 2.

Pop

1. No vehicles

7. No assault.

Hey I get it, I like all those things you mentioned too. I never once said competitive was only MLG, I enjoyed all ranked playlists. But for you to say you don't watch MLG cause of it being non "creative" and "repetitive" is just insane. I mean...come on

orznge

Banned

Why is it so hard for you to concede that, past a certain level of competency in default Halo, a team winning an engagement or gaining a position can reward them so greatly that the other team's chances of winning are near-trivial or rely heavily on the team with the advantageous position making a glaring mistake?

No one is telling you that you are wrong for not enjoying MLG gametypes or that you are wrong for enjoying default Halo, what they are telling you is that there are settings that, while you may find them bland, prevent these situations where effort and reward are grossly out of whack from happening.

Rev3rb

I sincerely appreciate the teamwork, practice and skill these guys/gals have, kudos you're all very skilled. However I have no interest in watching/playing MLG settings and boring forge maps with condensed gameplay.

Bring me some creative Halo gameplay and I'll watch that moreover. I prefer free form roaming Halo over repetitive setups or memorisation of grenade throws etc.

Just my opinion but thanks for the feed to watch some mad skills at work.

I support this statement, kinda... I loved playing with MLG settings in H2 and H3 (it's all I would play), but overtime I feel like I grew out of that phase. I still enjoy/appreciate watching skilled players, but I just want to enjoy the game for what it is now.

Real top ten games ever right here, no debate.

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Metroid Fusion
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Halo 2
5. Pokemon Red
6. Halo CE
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Ratchet and Clank 3
9. Halo 3
10. Gears of War

Hey I get it, I like all those things you mentioned too. I never once said competitive was only MLG, I enjoyed all ranked playlists. But for you to say you don't watch MLG cause of it being non "creative" and "repetitive" is just insane. I mean...come on

Sure if you take my comment of context but if you're comparing the creative gameplay and variety of default Halo against MLG my comment stands factual. Not trying to diminish MLG but just compare.

I guess I'm also trying to highlight clearly what a default Halo veteran who likes to play competitively likes in the hopes that MLG maybe take some of that on board.

If MLG opened up to more AA's or maps or vehicles or just you know more of the sandbox then the gamers watching MLG or going to events may increase as it can appeal to a wider demographic. In addition the population in their playlist may increase too.

Anyhow that's my two cents for the day.

orznge

Banned
I support this statement, kinda... I loved playing with MLG settings in H2 and H3 (it's all I would play), but overtime I feel like I grew out of that phase. I still enjoy/appreciate watching skilled players, but I just want to enjoy the game for what it is now.

and there's nothing wrong with that! Feel free to tell the other guy that it is okay to enjoy playing something despite it's shortcomings and that if someone does point them out that they aren't necessarily trying to ruin your fun!

Rev3rb

I agree with non-creative, but repetitive...eehhh

Pop

Where's Wind Waker on these lists?

-____________-

I'm disappointed GaF.

Edit:^^ Repetitive could be said about every playlist. :)

yeah this hasn't existed in default Halo lol

It has steadily been getting eradicated from each iteration of a Halo game. Sure it hasn't been perfect, zealot default spawn trap I'm looking at you! However, now with Halo 4 you can't tell me global ordnance drops aren't designed as a best of both worlds in that -

1. Static spawn trapping will not be as advantageous.

2. Teams will now have to dynamically coordinate to obtain them.

3. It forces dynamic gameplay around points of a map, rather than small map static spawn traps. Helps keep variety and map flows etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, the latest gaming side Halo thread is already off to a swimming start.

Having played OoT-WW for the first time this year I say OoT and WW sux. Majora's is amazing. That is all.
I like a lot of Majora's ideas, but not the package as a whole. I've only played that one once, though.

orznge

Banned
It has steadily been getting eradicated from each iteration of a Halo game. Sure it hasn't been perfect, zealot default spawn trap I'm looking at you! However, now with Halo 4 you can't tell me global ordnance drops aren't designed as a best of both worlds in that -

1. Static spawn trapping will not be as advantageous.

2. Teams will now have to dynamically coordinate to obtain them.

3. It forces dynamic gameplay around points of a map, rather than small map static spawn traps. Helps keep variety and map flows etc.

"dynamic"

orznge

Banned
To clarify, I'm not writing a response to that because people discussed it in detail a while ago and because I'm sure someone could have came up with a better idea to ensure that the game's design doesn't break down when played competently than global ordinance drops (considering that there has been a large number of FPSes over the last almost 20 years done exactly that) also explain "dynamic gameplay."

I like a lot of Majora's ideas, but not the package as a whole. I've only played that one once, though.
What I liked most out of Majora's is how open ended it felt. It's a complete illusion of course but I felt it pulled it off better than OoT. The sidequests are what really sold it for me because they could substantiate quest rewards with something like masks and not rupees god damn. It also helps that it feels more polished than OoT in the simple things like quicker movement speed and menu transitions. Getting the Bunny Hood mask instantly makes the game more enjoyable in a way the other two 3D Zeldas I've played can't offer. I liked the dungeons a lot more because there were fewer of them and the design felt more concentrated as a result, OoT's dungeons just start blurring in my head.

Wind Waker has a good base to it, but feels incomplete. The sailing is too much.

"dynamic"

Defined as the choices a team/player will have to make or their movement around a map, such as -

1. hold their map position/control

2. move as a single team to the new global ordnance spawn

3. split their team to hold map control but also attack/defend a different map point or ordnance

4. ambush the other team

5. forced to move around the map.

Just some of the relevant in game definitions I'll provide for "dynamic", as in ever changing. For example as opposed to static spawns where basically a team can setup and instant kill enemies with a predictable spawn and more advantageous weapons etc.

orznge

Banned
Defined as the choices a team/player will have to make, such as -

1. hold their map position/control

2. move as a single team to the new global ordnance spawn

3. split their team to hold map control but also attack/defend a different map point or ordnance

4. ambush the other team

5. forced to move around the map.

Just some of the relevant in game definitions I'll provide for "dynamic", as in ever changing.

That sounds nice in theory but what I hope really happens is that the maps are poorly designed and the significance of power positions is disproportionate when compared to the efficiency of dropped powerups/weapons and they don't get used. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate 343's efforts to curb the effects of poor map design and poor weapon balance but I think a far better approach to take would be to not design maps poorly and not balance the weapons poorly.

orznge

Banned
honestly "global ordinance drops" as a way to encourage "dynamic gameplay" reeks of "after over a decade we've determined that it's impossible to create maps that are playable past a certain level of competency"

Welp, the latest gaming side Halo thread is already off to a swimming start.
Looks okay from my estimation, but waiting on someone to bring up The Old Republic $700 billion thousand budget.

Oh, and
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Starcraft
3. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
4. Ninja Gaiden Black
5. Metroid Prime
6. Halo
7. Uncharted 2
8. Hitman Blood Money
9. Majora's Mask
10. Portal 2

Looks okay from my estimation, but waiting on someone to bring up The Old Republic $700 billion thousand budget.

Oh, and
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Starcraft
3. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
4. Ninja Gaiden Black
5. Metroid Prime
6. Halo
7. Uncharted 2
8. Hitman Blood Money
9. Majora's Mask
10. Portal 2

Just bought RE4 HD on XBLA sale. Haven't started it yet.

That sounds nice in theory but what I hope really happens is that the maps are poorly designed and the significance of power positions is disproportionate when compared to the efficiency of dropped powerups/weapons and they don't get used. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate 343's efforts to curb the effects of poor map design and poor weapon balance but I think a far better approach to take would be to not design maps poorly and not balance the weapons poorly.

I think the issue is more of imbalance with online play. At any time you could match another "competent" team or a team of randoms because of the widening of matchmaking and players online at that time etc.

So what do the developers do? They design a new system to alleviate spawn trapping/killing which does turn off a large population of online players. To me it seems even if you design the "perfect map and spawns etc" that the imbalance of the skilled team will eventually win out the map control and superior weapon spawns.

Thus we have the developers designing a system in an attempt to still reward skill/competency without alienating the less skilled or randomly made up teams vs regular teams or say 30 seconds into the game losing all map/weapon advantage.

In short I don't think any developer can make a perfect map because the player and team variables combined with matchmaking are simply too varied or skewed.

Sure in LAN based MLG with MLG brackets/tournaments this effect is minimised but for online matchmaking I don't see a betters solution from previous Halo's and Halo 4 has me excited about the new system.

orznge

Banned
I think the issue is more of imbalance with online play. At any time you could match another "competent" team or a team of randoms because of the widening of matchmaking and players online at that time etc.

So what do the developers do? They design a new system to alleviate spawn trapping/killing which does turn off a large population of online players. To me it seems even if you design the "perfect map and spawns etc" that the imbalance of the skilled team will eventually win out the map control and superior weapon spawns.

Thus we have the developers designing a system in an attempt to still reward skill/competency without alienating the less skilled or randomly made up teams vs regular teams or say 30 seconds into the game losing all map/weapon advantage.

In short I don't think any developer can make a perfect map because the player and team variables combined with matchmaking are simply too varied or skewed.

Sure in LAN based MLG with MLG brackets/tournaments this effect is minimised but for online matchmaking I don't see a betters solution from previous Halo's and Halo 4 has me excited about the new system.

a team being competent should not be considered a problem that the game needs to alleviate, especially when taking into account the fact that matchmaking exists and there is a huge player pool

Trey

Fuck leaks, real talk. I can't go into any Halo threads without people talking about the campaign length and that their buddy's cousin thought the game wasn't so hot. Fuck yo buddy and his cousin.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Map packs need to bring more sunshine. Drab BTB maps like Vortex and Longbow remind of Reach. (though Vortex looks misleadingly like shit in that video compared to the streams)

a team being competent should not be considered a problem that the game needs to alleviate, especially when taking into account the fact that matchmaking exists and there is a huge player pool

I suppose that's the business side of things skewing the game mechanics. After all most businesses appeal to the widest possible audiences for the product/service.

Imagine if developers always rewarded the competent/skilled players. New players would never stick with the game. It's almost the exact reason I've never gotten into COD games, simply you can't just join a game and be on even close to level footing to attack a higher skilled enemy. It gets boring fast for the "other player".

Sure I hope there is a playlist and population pool large enough to give you the strict matchmaking of skill and team numbers so you can get the games you want. I think in early days the population is so large that his happens in most playlists. Clearly in Reach this did not stick around for very long. At least 343i are sticking with global settings as much as they can and streamlining the playlists too. After Reach I think that is something we can all agree is good for everyone.

Thanks for checking out the stream and passing it along! <3

No worries mate, always happy to have peek at something/someone new to me.

PNut

Banned
Where's Wind Waker on these lists?

-____________-

I'm disappointed GaF.

Edit:^^ Repetitive could be said about every playlist. :)

By far my favorite Zelda game and I pre-ordered OoT back in the day :).

No rank talk in bulletin I guess. :(

Just bought RE4 HD on XBLA sale. Haven't started it yet.
Soooo good. It's got the best pacing of any game I've ever played, which is a big reason why I've got it at #1, hehe.

KotOR is superior and is easily in my Top 10.
Indeed. I am going to be sour about a lack of KOTOR 3 for probably the rest of my life.

You guys still doing lists? I'll settle it for everyone.

Link to the Past >
I'm way lttp on Link to the Past. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You guys still doing lists? I'll settle it for everyone.

Link to the Past >
A few months ago I would have said Link's Awakening is better, but one of the kids I babysit recently started playing Link to the Past, and I realized that it really is the better game. The full color graphics, the (at the time) huge scale of the Light and Dark worlds, the amazing dungeons, creative boss fights, random and totally optional hidden areas with cool rewards + items, etc. It's such a deep and rewarding game.

LA has the best Zelda dungeon, though.
Eagle's Tower

3D Zelda games are just more fun to re-play.
Ugly graphics and barren overworlds say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom